Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Thomamelas posted:

https://twitter.com/AnnQuann/status/1314929136729636864

gently caress your stealth. LED strips are cool!

Yeah that looks excellent. Can’t believe we’ve allowed a neon underglow gap. We invented The Fast and the Furious for godsakes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hello! I was sent here to ask about the Gulf War as last night I realized that I know like, two things about that war. I'd like to read a good overview book about the war. Something that's more than the wikipedia page, at least. Do any of you know of a book like that? Thanks!

e: wait poo poo, FIRST gulf war, my bf was all "there were two of them"

TOO LATE, you're getting ALL the refrences

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Not the ground effect I was expecting.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

People are skeptical of practical usefulness of the new magnum dong NK is parading.

https://twitter.com/RocketSchiller/status/1315019747197628416

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That's what I was asking on the last page. Liquid fuels give you dynamic control over the engine at any particular time, but other than that are a giant toxic hazardous pain in the rear end.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

ought ten posted:

Yeah that looks excellent. Can’t believe we’ve allowed a neon underglow gap. We invented The Fast and the Furious for godsakes!

Just imagine if Iran did it with their remaining F-14s.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

glynnenstein posted:

People are skeptical of practical usefulness of the new magnum dong NK is parading.

Maybe it's just an intermediate design until they got solid fuels worked out?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Thomamelas posted:

Just imagine if Iran did it with their remaining F-14s.

Or:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hello! I was sent here to ask about the Gulf War as last night I realized that I know like, two things about that war. I'd like to read a good overview book about the war. Something that's more than the wikipedia page, at least. Do any of you know of a book like that? Thanks!

This post in the Military History thread is truly excellent. That link is to all of Polyakov's posts in that thread and for someone as interested and clueless as me they were an excellent primer.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

He also says that cooking sausages in front of the arrays on navy ships was possible but frowned upon.

My dad used to pop seagulls with his radar

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Thomamelas posted:

https://twitter.com/AnnQuann/status/1314929136729636864

gently caress your stealth. LED strips are cool!

So fighters do have light strips on them that are used for night formation flying; it's like North Korea just cranked it up to 11 with that poo poo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So fighters do have light strips on them that are used for night formation flying; it's like North Korea just cranked it up to 11 with that poo poo.

More importantly, we CANNOT allow a light strip gap!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Explosionface posted:

My dad used to pop seagulls with his radar

Kentucky SPY-1D Chicken

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Maybe what happened is the North Koreans heard that story about the US Navy using lights on bomber aircraft to blend into the nighttime sky better, and decided that more is better?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Every Man A Tiger by Tom Clancy is a great history of the air war portion of the Gulf War. It's like if that video posted early was a 650 page book with very high level of detail about how things worked for the US air component, what they did and why. This is early in Clancy's career too, when he's still a decent writer. Edit: Okay I checked the timeline and it is not in fact from early in his career but I still think it's pretty good. Way, way better than the fiction he was doing at the time.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 11, 2020

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

TK-42-1 posted:

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maybe it's just an intermediate design until they got solid fuels worked out?
Yes, but also “can’t fuel it at the launch site” is wildly optimistic. It wouldn’t be fast or easy, but it is irresponsible to assume the they won’t do it anyway.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MrYenko posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxRgfBXn6Mg

There should be a part two at some point in the future.

Memento posted:

This post in the Military History thread is truly excellent. That link is to all of Polyakov's posts in that thread and for someone as interested and clueless as me they were an excellent primer.

gohuskies posted:

Every Man A Tiger by Tom Clancy is a great history of the air war portion of the Gulf War. It's like if that video posted early was a 650 page book with very high level of detail about how things worked for the US air component, what they did and why. This is early in Clancy's career too, when he's still a decent writer.

Perfect thank you all, time to do some learning about a war I missed entirely.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Will the updated version be called Super Streetfighter II or Streetfighter II Turbo?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

standard.deviant posted:

Yes, but also “can’t fuel it at the launch site” is wildly optimistic. It wouldn’t be fast or easy, but it is irresponsible to assume the they won’t do it anyway.

"Can't" in this context is just saying that spending a day fueling is a potentially fatal opportunity to let the US see it happening and react. It's a perhaps a little hyperbole to support the main point that being able to drive a MIRV ICBM in front of US eyes is more important to NK than being able to realistically tactically deploy it. And yeah, as soon as they have solid rockets of this class working it's also entirely tactically deployable.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

Junior seismologist sits looking over some charts, "What the hell is that spike? Looks like in the middle of nowhere in the North Korean mountains. I've never seen a pulse like that before."

Senior seismologist walks over and looks over his shoulder, "Oh yeah, should have warned, 4 or 5 times a year one of their mobile ICBM fuel trucks just goes kablooey. See that little spikey bit there? Yeah, looks just like that every time."

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Kentucky SPY-1D Chicken

There were a lotta good puns on this page, but this one didn't get enough love.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Been interested in US/NATO and Soviet cannon applications. Like multibarrel electric versus multibarrel gas vs revolver cannon vs short recoil, etc.

Found this tidbit about the Soviet GSh-6-30:

quote:

On the MiG-27 "Flogger" the GSh-6-30 had to be mounted obliquely to absorb recoil. The gun was noted for its high (often uncomfortable) vibration and extreme noise. The airframe vibration led to fatigue cracks in fuel tanks, numerous radio and avionics failures, the necessity of using runways with floodlights for night flights (as the landing lights would often be destroyed), tearing or jamming of the forward landing gear doors (leading to at least three crash landings), cracking of the reflector gunsight, an accidental jettisoning of the cockpit canopy and at least one case of the instrument panel falling off in flight. The weapons also dealt extensive collateral damage, as the sheer numbers of fragments from detonating shells was sufficient to damage aircraft flying within a 200-meter radius from the impact center, including the aircraft firing.

:aaa:
That gun is neat as the link notes it has pyrotechnic charges to kick it off so you don't have "spin up" delay like in electric versions. But has as price....

Check it out in action on the Kashtan CIWS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ssNPxyHp8&t=110s :kingsley:

Yet the Soviets, and much of NATO would use a lot of single barrel guns on aircraft and even armored AA platforms like Shilka and Tunguska. The difference in doctrine, or at least preference, is interesting.

What do you think is the barrel life on this??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQtIANpswgE&t=14s

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The cannon popped off the canopy...

Jesus christ

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Styles Bitchley posted:

What do you think is the barrel life on this??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQtIANpswgE&t=14s

Given the expected life of vehicles rolling through Fulda even before NATO gives up with conventional weapons and started throwing canned sunshine around, who cares?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

The cannon popped off the canopy...

Jesus christ

It dislodged the entire control console and dumped it in the pilot's lap. It's what happens when you want something kinda like an A-10 but can't be bothered to build the plane around the giant gun.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 12, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
My favorite tidbit about the Warthog is that big loving cannon actually measurably slows down the plane when it is fired.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

My favorite tidbit about the Warthog is that big loving cannon actually measurably slows down the plane when it is fired.

After some time with DCS A-10 I am in absolutely no way surprised. The A-10 is crazy underengined. Don’t they have to refuel in a slight dive so they can go fast enough for the tanker or something silly like that?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

After some time with DCS A-10 I am in absolutely no way surprised. The A-10 is crazy underengined. Don’t they have to refuel in a slight dive so they can go fast enough for the tanker or something silly like that?

No, they can refuel in level flight, but the tanker definitely slows down for them. The only diving tanker ops that I’m aware of were early jets tanking from KC-97s when that was a thing.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

They had problems with getting the KC-46 and A-10 to work together, but the problem was solved and no longer a factor last I saw. The KC-46 is just problems.txt.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

IIRC, you had be careful when firing it so that it doesn't push you under your stall speed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It seems like aircraft gun designs are just one of those little things that are culturally different between the USA and Europe. In WW2 the Americans preferred six .50s while the Europeans tended to have a couple of heavy cannon. The fast-and-light/slow-and-powerful difference is still true with modern jets; European fighters continue to use 30mm revolver cannons and the like, well after the USA standardized on 20mm gatling guns.

I think it's even been true with small arms at certain times; the Americans were the first to seriously use .22-caliber high-velocity battle rifles while all the Europeans were sticking with heavier-hitting .30-cal designs.

FMguru posted:

IIRC, you had be careful when firing it so that it doesn't push you under your stall speed.

I have heard that that is exaggerated. It does measurably slow the plane down, but the recoil force is equal to slightly more than half of the airplane's total thrust so it's comparable to having an engine out. It's not going to drop you out of the sky, or even bring you close to a stall. Especially since you're only firing for a few seconds at a time.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I think it's even been true with small arms at certain times; the Americans were the first to seriously use .22-caliber high-velocity battle rifles while all the Europeans were sticking with heavier-hitting .30-cal designs.

This is absolutely not true. The British (and others) tried to adopt small calibre intermediate cartridge small arms multiple times before they were strong armed by the US to adopt 7.62x51, then US industry picked up where they left off and because it was "Invented here" we adopted 5.56x45 and forced NATO to again follow suit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That doesn't contradict what I posted :911:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I'm just saying that small arms and vehicle autocannons are two totally different arenas of procurement fuckery.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrYenko posted:

No, they can refuel in level flight, but the tanker definitely slows down for them. The only diving tanker ops that I’m aware of were early jets tanking from KC-97s when that was a thing.

It depends on prevailing winds. I've had to manage airspace so they could porpoise their way through a refueling, and it's something we were trained about. I don't remember if it was related to a specific tanker type though. Only heard anything about it the one time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Su-25 is significantly faster than the A-10. Just one more way Russia #1 :ussr:

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Regarding big plane gun chat: what was the rationale for putting a 25mm on the F-35 instead of the light 20mm used on the Raptor? They cut a barrel off it, and apparently it's still having problems:
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/f-35-can%E2%80%99t-fire-its-cannon-without-committing-suicide-122541

You can see some of the system without the covers firing here, seems like it takes up a lot of real estate to me. :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFoJ93Kb5z0

Sagebrush posted:

It seems like aircraft gun designs are just one of those little things that are culturally different between the USA and Europe. In WW2 the Americans preferred six .50s while the Europeans tended to have a couple of heavy cannon. The fast-and-light/slow-and-powerful difference is still true with modern jets; European fighters continue to use 30mm revolver cannons and the like, well after the USA standardized on 20mm gatling guns.

Good points. I always thought it crazy there may have been Spitfires spraying .303 British against Messerschmitts with 30mm guns.

Styles Bitchley fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

The Su-25 is significantly faster than the A-10. Just one more way Russia #1 :ussr:

Frogfoot had one of the coolest guns, it was a real Gast:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gryazev-Shipunov_GSh-30-2

:rimshot: