Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

President Beep posted:

dang, this all makes me want to try a fallout but i strongly suspect I’d suck at it and ultimately not have fun.

new vegas is great, but it reaaallllly shows its age. there are some mods you'd want to get if you do decide to play it like the jsawyer mod which is basically an unofficial patch made by the game's lead designer.

fo4 is kind of rear end, but if you just want to explore the world and ignore the story its not too bad. i enjoyed the settlement building, but thats something other people really hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

abigserve posted:

I've never been able to keep it up long enough for a full playthrough

O_O

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

new vegas is great, but it reaaallllly shows its age. there are some mods you'd want to get if you do decide to play it like the jsawyer mod which is basically an unofficial patch made by the game's lead designer.

fo4 is kind of rear end, but if you just want to explore the world and ignore the story its not too bad. i enjoyed the settlement building, but thats something other people really hate.

gently caress no it hasn't, I've never fallen through the floor or got stuck in a loading elevator in NV ever

fallout 4 has morrowind level bugs but with no innovation or creativity that makes you want to keep playing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

President Beep posted:

dang, this all makes me want to try a fallout but i strongly suspect I’d suck at it and ultimately not have fun.

abigserve posted:

You gotta be in a really specific mindset to enjoy fallout 4 and I've never been able to keep it up long enough for a full playthrough

i always role-play, as it is a role-playing game. makes it much more fun, however the way the "final" missions in Fallout 4 especially are scripted might make the player angry because they really restrict your choices.

playing any fallout and thinking about "builds" etc. is just sad

also they are actually open-world games which might confuse younger players, especially New Vegas, where some kids think it's railroading you when it's not.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I played stellaris for like 12 hours today

I have no idea what I'm doing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SmokaDustbowl posted:

gently caress no it hasn't, I've never fallen through the floor or got stuck in a loading elevator in NV ever

fallout 4 has morrowind level bugs but with no innovation or creativity that makes you want to keep playing

new vegas was built to run on an xbox 360 which had 512 MB of ram shared between cpu and gpu. it was a massive technical restriction that lead to a ton of compromises like splitting vegas into 2 loading zones and the character models looking like potatoes.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i would pay $60 for a remastered new vegas that integrates all the bug fixes and enhances everything for modern hardware

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

new vegas was built to run on an xbox 360 which had 512 MB of ram shared between cpu and gpu.

the wrong kind of ram, to boot

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

3D Megadoodoo posted:

i always role-play, as it is a role-playing game. makes it much more fun, however the way the "final" missions in Fallout 4 especially are scripted might make the player angry because they really restrict your choices.

also they are actually open-world games which might confuse younger players, especially New Vegas, where some kids think it's railroading you when it's not.

Fallout 4 put too much emphasis on the game side of fallout and not enough on the story/world building side and it just felt bland and forgettable especially compared to new Vegas

I watched Joseph andersons giant review and I basically agree with everything he said except I don't have the time or willingness to spend several tens of hours finishing a game I don't like

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

c james status: still playing No Man's Sky, the enhancements to planet terrain, fauna, biomes and weather in the most recent update are cool as heck. this was on a toxic planet, i realy love how vibrant it is and the spore clouds coming from the giant mushrooms are neat

https://i.imgur.com/gt8r6zH.mp4

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I really liked FO4 as an open world game, but that's probably because I totally ignored all the missions and the story, and just explored and soaked in the atmosphere.

It was basically an urbex simulator with guns and radiation-ravaged mutant people.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

toiletbrush posted:

I really liked FO4 as an open world game, but that's probably because I totally ignored all the missions and the story, and just explored and soaked in the atmosphere.

It was basically an urbex simulator with guns and radiation-ravaged mutant people.

the stalker games are really good at this too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I got a wild hair up my rear end and restarted chrono trigger last night

i didnt really Get JRPGs when i was a kid, and this time around i know how to grab an extra level and explore more for sekrits

it's really fun. made it to 2300 AD in one session

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hell yeah CT owns

the tone is basically perfect. it's not at all serious and grimdark like ff6 is but it still has some really impactful moments nonetheless.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought Grandia just for the intro music. I guess it could be a good game but I've not played it for more than how long it takes to get out of the town (like 40 000 hours since it's an ime). Not gonna post the music so Jraph doesn't promote me.

e: I guess Grandia doesn't have anything to do with Chrono Trigger, apart from being 'nimes. I played CT on an emulator back in the 98SE days and it seemed OK but then I got Fallout on a cover disc and welp.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

JRPGs own, you should try out some of the DQ games namely V, VIII, and XI. V has this adorable interaction where future you comes back to assure current you that everything is going to be okay.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah ive never played any dq's or som. need to explore a bit

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ive got the Cursed King one but I can't get over how loving bad the Dragon Ball guy's art is lmao.

i was in gamestop once years ago and some kid was all "lookit ma i want this" and the mum took the game and put it back on the shelf and said "i'm not sure we want anything with a cursed king!"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shaggar posted:

the minitemen in mine have a large ziggurat castle with swears and taunts facing the brotherhood and it feel good when i see them

3D Megadoodoo posted:

its monorailing you in that one mission though

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Agile Vector posted:

its monorailing you in that one mission though

ill rail my mono in your rear end

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

ive got the Cursed King one but I can't get over how loving bad the Dragon Ball guy's art is lmao.

i was in gamestop once years ago and some kid was all "lookit ma i want this" and the mum took the game and put it back on the shelf and said "i'm not sure we want anything with a cursed king!"

8 was the only one i played since nintendo gave the first one away for free, and it still clings to a lot of old mechanics that are just frustrating, like having to trudge all the way to a priest to save the game and taking half of your money when you die. it's pretty grindy too, like everything else that level 5 makes

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

toiletbrush posted:

I read an entire article about how people that actually enjoyed Fallout 3 and 4 seem to have universally done this. They're very good exploration games with weak plots, so whoever ditches the plot first has the most fun.

New Vegas was more liked because you could stick to the guided story part more and still enjoy it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've been finding all sorts of stuff in the spare room I use for storage, while tidying it up. I think I might finally get around to starting Prototype properly, because I'm hankering for some skyscraper-scaling. (Unfortunately the boost time on the Fallout 4 jetpack is way too slow to traverse the tall buildings :(, I tried.)

Last time I skipped all the exposition and just rampaged across the city running up walls and killing dudes.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Last time I skipped all the exposition and just rampaged across the city running up walls and killing dudes.

its an extremely good game for that

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

its an extremely good game for that

Yeah it did the thing right that most games do wrong in that if you have superpowers you gotta be loving super. and also the controls. so many games gently caress up the controls. (why I've never beaten rear end'n'Piss Creep, for instance)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

I read an entire article about how people that actually enjoyed Fallout 3 and 4 seem to have universally done this. They're very good exploration games with weak plots, so whoever ditches the plot first has the most fun.

New Vegas was more liked because you could stick to the guided story part more and still enjoy it.

Yeah, Elder Scrolls games are good for just wandering and seeing what you find and generally having a good time.

New Vegas had a really good plot with choices that matter, but in order for the choices to matter all your options had to be ambiguously lovely which means the game is mostly a downer.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think I might finally get around to starting Prototype properly, because I'm hankering for some skyscraper-scaling.

oh wow i TOTALLY forgot about that game. hell yeah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've been finding all sorts of stuff in the spare room I use for storage, while tidying it up. I think I might finally get around to starting Prototype properly, because I'm hankering for some skyscraper-scaling

batman arkham city/arkham knight are also great for this.

i liked prototype when i played it back in whenever it was new. a little gross though

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

batman arkham city/arkham knight are also great for this.

i liked prototype when i played it back in whenever it was new. a little gross though

I have Arkham Asylum and whatever came after that. Might "have" the third one on Steam.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

a bunch of people didn't like the third one for some reason but i think it's the best of the bunch. it's one of those games where they just nailed the Feel of it perfectly. you feel like batman doing batman poo poo.

i wish the same devs would make Oni 2

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
arkham knight has a lot of stuff that gets really tedious if you try to do it all, like tank battles and racing circuits and a few others. just drive around, do the story, punch the occasional mugger

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

haveblue posted:

arkham knight has a lot of stuff that gets really tedious if you try to do it all, like tank battles and racing circuits and a few others

trying to max out saints row 4 felt like that. who wants vehicle rampage challenges in a game where youre neo with a cool entourage?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Patrolling the Yosjame makes me wish for a portable printer.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

played some demos tonight

raji is a very pretty godofwarmans based on indian mythology and seems pretty cool

30XX is the sequel to megamanmans 20XX and it's a big step up. might day one that depending on the price

also i bought shadow of the tomb raider back in may for :10bux: and completely forgot about it lol

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

loving new vegas eat my entire rear end, installing it once again because of you all talking about it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RustyKnight posted:

loving new vegas eat my entire rear end, installing it once again because of you all talking about it

i'm sure there's a mod for that

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

RustyKnight posted:

i played it for a bit and i’m starting to think i should just play outer worlds

fo4 survival is ok so far, it’s a different game without fast travel and makes it so all the little shelters you find have a point now. melee is really annoying even with blitz so i rerolled and did a more jack of all trades lone wanderer type

it’s tougher as i am skipping concord and not doing settlement poo poo at all until diamond city and/or joining the brotherhood for vertibird travel

it’s going well enough for now but i can’t see actually playing long enough to finish the main story. maybe with ps5 load time reduction

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 12, 2020

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Weedle posted:

the stalker games are really good at this too
And Metro Exodus, it was just a shame the good levels were a bit on the small side. Something like a world as large and varied as FO4 but with the graphics and general gameplay of M:E would be pretty much my ideal game.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fanatical have a 24hr sale on where new deals pop up every hour or so

https://www.fanatical.com/

Metro Exodus is currently the lowest its ever been on there, but I never played the first and tbh the couple videos I watched didn't grab me, it looked like it fell just between Fallout & STALKER.

Door Kickers Action Squad looks like good simple fun and you can't argue for the price right now.

edit: lmao when will I learn not to listen to my curiosity and not look up eg GAL*GUN 2 :o:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i played it for a bit and i’m starting to think i should just play outer worlds

fo4 survival is ok so far, it’s a different game without fast travel and makes it so all the little shelters you find have a point now. melee is really annoying even with blitz so i rerolled and did a more jack of all trades lone wanderer type

it’s tougher as i am skipping concord and not doing settlement poo poo at all until diamond city and/or joining the brotherhood for vertibird travel

it’s going well enough for now but i can’t see actually playing long enough to finish the main story. maybe with ps5 load time reduction

outer worlds sucked