Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

metasynthetic posted:

I got 5 gods in my latest run, but I'm not sure if what I did counts as forcing or not. First, I saw that the natural gods spawned were Artemis, Dionysus, and Demeter, and lastly Ares but he only came up once as a shop choice. Then I forced Athena to get her dash - but then I continued getting Athena choices (along with everyone else but Ares.)

Speaking of that run, it's my 2nd real attempt at clearing since my first clear and I made it! With the sword no less! Check this build out, I call it All Dash No Brakes:

Using Nemesis aspect, I just dropped my crystals then quad-double-slash crit everything into the dirt. I even hosed up and forgot to put on the correct mirror options and still got through anyway. I guess something is finally starting to click, or I just got enough metaprogression done to fake it.

I've gotten to 5 without forcing a god through a keepsake, it comes up by having 3 gods picked, going to a shop, and having the next room be a god and the shop selling a different one. Overall its harder to make a build work with more gods I think, versus using keepsakes to trigger the specific god you already have that you want another boon from with upgraded rarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Snow Job posted:

For Aphrodite's sidequest, am I allowed to say "let's be friends" to any of them, or will that anger the pink overlord ?
Yes. I have Aphrodite maxed and did not want to be more than friends with Than.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

metasynthetic posted:

I got 5 gods in my latest run, but I'm not sure if what I did counts as forcing or not. First, I saw that the natural gods spawned were Artemis, Dionysus, and Demeter, and lastly Ares but he only came up once as a shop choice. Then I forced Athena to get her dash - but then I continued getting Athena choices (along with everyone else but Ares.)
Im assuming once you accept a boon from a god, they're added to the pool for that run, the game will stop giving you new ones after 4, but if you use a keepsake after you hit 4, you can add more to the pool.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
that cute little rat :shobon: king :eek:

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Charon spoiler: is the fated list bugged for beating him two times in a row? It won't check off as completed for some reason

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

tofes posted:

Charon spoiler: is the fated list bugged for beating him two times in a row? It won't check off as completed for some reason

people have said it doesn't always work. Just keep doing the thing and it'll eventually work. Sucks, I know

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I think there's something wrong with Hades on PC and using a Switch Pro Controller.

I have Hades on my PC and using the Epic Games Store. I am using the Switch Pro Controller wired VIA the USB-C cord it comes with. It was working fine but now the + Button and the B button will press twice in succession, whic makes it unable to pause from the controller and uses up the second dash instantly. I am not sure why that is happening. I tested it on other games on PC and my switch but both seems fine. Anyone else have this problem?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Waffleopolis posted:

I think there's something wrong with Hades on PC and using a Switch Pro Controller.

I have Hades on my PC and using the Epic Games Store. I am using the Switch Pro Controller wired VIA the USB-C cord it comes with. It was working fine but now the + Button and the B button will press twice in succession, whic makes it unable to pause from the controller and uses up the second dash instantly. I am not sure why that is happening. I tested it on other games on PC and my switch but both seems fine. Anyone else have this problem?

I have this exact same problem, and so do other people on reddit. No idea what causes it.

I got around it by adding the executable to steam as a non-steam game and then launching it through big picture mode.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Hackan Slash posted:

I have this exact same problem, and so do other people on reddit. No idea what causes it.

I got around it by adding the executable to steam as a non-steam game and then launching it through big picture mode.

I figured out what to do. It seems if you have a non-Steam game while Steam is running it makes the inputs all wonky. Exiting out Steam fixed the issue.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
ok, think im getting the hang of this

I call this Aiming Is For Chumps. 3 different streams of ultra rapid fire homing projectiles. Also homing casts because gently caress it. Was tons of fun.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

metasynthetic posted:

I call this Aiming Is For Chumps. 3 different streams of ultra rapid fire homing projectiles. Also homing casts because gently caress it. Was tons of fun.
I pick Support Fire every time it's offered but can never bring myself to pick attack hammers on the rail. Sounds like a fun combo, maybe next time!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
The best combo of Benefits Package abilities I've encountered so far is teleporting, cloning firewheels. Amazing.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

The best combo of Benefits Package abilities I've encountered so far is teleporting, cloning firewheels. Amazing.

That sounds like hell. So it's on brand!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Lucked my way into the current speedrun meta while hunting for duos/legendaries, and got my first sub 15:00!

:toot:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
How's the Zeus boon on Spread Fire? I thought there was an internal cooldown on chain lighting that fucks it up.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

crepeface posted:

How's the Zeus boon on Spread Fire? I thought there was an internal cooldown on chain lighting that fucks it up.

The cooldown is more to contain bow shotgun special/Chiron aspect shenanigans, and it's against a single target. It's low enough that individual gun shots can trigger the bolts.
A Spread Fire shot should count as a single shot, triggering bolts once on all targets hit.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Arist posted:

God, this run ruled. Was just tagging everything with the Rail and then letting Doom one-shot it.

Hazard Bomb buddy!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

turns out the secret to a first successful run is to do enough damage that you can just mash your face directly into hades until he dies before you do

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like I have totally stagnated in this game. I beat hades around my 20th attempt, and now I am at around 40 attempts and haven't beat him a second time. Is there something I should be focusing on in the meta game that I am unaware of? I feel like I get to Hades in 4 out of 5 runs now but I am usually lucky if I have 1 or 2 death defiance left because the last area seems to tend to screw me over with poison or the small vermin or whatever. Maybe I just suck but it's starting to get frustrating.

I notice you guys have these runs with tons of Heroic/legendary items. Is there a way to boost % other than the mirror for epic and leveling the gifts? Should I be stacking gifts on the gods more?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Turned enemies into statues with this build.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like I have totally stagnated in this game. I beat hades around my 20th attempt, and now I am at around 40 attempts and haven't beat him a second time. Is there something I should be focusing on in the meta game that I am unaware of? I feel like I get to Hades in 4 out of 5 runs now but I am usually lucky if I have 1 or 2 death defiance left because the last area seems to tend to screw me over with poison or the small vermin or whatever. Maybe I just suck but it's starting to get frustrating.

I notice you guys have these runs with tons of Heroic/legendary items. Is there a way to boost % other than the mirror for epic and leveling the gifts? Should I be stacking gifts on the gods more?

I felt like I was in the same place as you a few days ago! Then things started to click, and all of a sudden I've cleared 3 times, the last 2 in a row. Feel free to look at my thread history, maybe it will help? Here's my own newbie advice:

Legendary boons aren't a rarity, they're rarity-less boon-tier based unlock, look at the official wiki (or the unlockable codex feature) to see how they work.

I personally have barely gifted actual gods at all so I have no idea what that even does past the initial keepsake unlock.

My first win was at around run 60ish then my last 2 in a row (run count 66) were wins. Granted, like 40 of those runs were earlier this year before 1.0, and focusing more on metaprogression rather than trying to actually win, but I'm starting to think there's a critical mass where things will start to click. For me the first element was watching this video, which made me appreciate positioning more, along with some other videos of his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdhHsuMlLec

Going over some other changes I made, in no particular order:

For my first keepsake, I usually pick Chaos or the gold purse, or otherwise something I want to level for metaprogression.

Athena dash, unto itself, is amazing. All my wins so far include it. I wait until after act 1 to see if the run will give it for free, otherwise I'm forcing Athena via keepsake, as soon as I'm either sure she's not seeded, or I have at least 1 reroll available.

Fated Persuasion in conjunction with the contractor upgrade that makes every night key reward give you a reroll is so drat good. Before I was running Fated Authority and maybe it has merit, but at my current skill level Persuasion just seems better.

The double dash mirror choice seems much better than the dodge chance choice at my skill level.

Try runs where you aren't trying to win, but just tick off prophecies. The metaprogression rewards can be pretty significant, especially combined with more frequent fat ghost deals to spend your gems / whatever on. And, like how nobodynowhere said in this post which was a big help, the experimental runs can help get you out of your own grid to click into new ones:

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

That's great. It's often a really good idea to do weird experimental runs like this because you'll end up finding combinations that work extremely well that you would never have anticipated and probably actively avoided otherwise. It seems like everybody kind of develops and locks into an idea of what is good and bad and what "works" for them as they play. This is often based on whatever weapon and boons they have their first successes with or whatever most closely aligns with their instincts as they are first coming to the game. My experience as I've played more is that these notions we develop are often wrong and make us miss out on strategies and builds that are ridiculously powerful and fun. I've got over 300 hours in Hades so far and I'm still tripping onto combinations that surprise me, even really simple and obvious ones sometimes.

I love Hera bow too, but Beowulf has some distinct advantages to it. The biggest one is that it's much easier to trigger Privileged Status because it's much less finicky to hit simultaneously with the charge and the casts. Hera projects casts out forward, so I find it's easy to overshoot a target when you hit with the attack shot. Strangely, I also like that the casts don't ever seem to embed with Beowulf. It's really easy to get into a rhythm with your attacks because you almost never have to wait for your stones to drop and you end up right next to them automatically.

EDIT - Also, I literally never use the special on Beowulf. The charge and cast are so good that there's almost never a reason to do so. I guess if you've got some rear end in a top hat witch camped over a big lava pool spraying shots everywhere, but otherwise...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Poseidon wall slams are the easy solution to all your Styx problems. This is the reason why "Poseidon" is an anagram for "poisoned." If you get poisoned you can interact with the glowing yellow pools to cure it; there are always one or two in every room.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Whoever said Aspect of Nemesis is dangerous because it makes you too greedy was right. I don't think I've actually beat Hades with that yet because I get so obsessed with my dps cycle.

Omobono posted:

The cooldown is more to contain bow shotgun special/Chiron aspect shenanigans, and it's against a single target. It's low enough that individual gun shots can trigger the bolts.
A Spread Fire shot should count as a single shot, triggering bolts once on all targets hit.

Good to know, I usually try to stick my shotgun right into one guy's rear end in a top hat though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Im aware of the poison curing pools. Regardless, you can still end up with some combos in styx that really gently caress you over.

It's just weird, because I am this point in the game where basically everything leading up to Hades is trivial. On a good run I usually get his second phase down to like 20% heath and die. On a very bad run I might die on the theseus/Minotaur but it's all starting to feel like busywork up until that point. Luckily the variety in builds keep it fun, but sometimes it feels like I am just wasting 25 minutes getting to Theseus and building a card deck along the way. I cant remember the last time I died even once before that.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like I get to Hades in 4 out of 5 runs now but I am usually lucky if I have 1 or 2 death defiance left because the last area seems to tend to screw me over with poison or the small vermin or whatever.
The biggest threat in Styx is the satyrs: the rats you can just stay away from, the small vermin and snakestones you usually just want to murder before they get going, but the satyrs require some knowledge of their attack windup so you can either dodge or deflect their poison.

Poseidon is extremely good for this since you can just slam everything into the walls of the small rooms.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

How’d you beat him the first time?

I went from never getting to the end, to getting to the end reliably, to 30 win streak through a couple of things

- Mirror upgrades eventually get ridiculous. If you have them all you can re-roll rooms or boons to make sure you have a less random run. Big difference between getting Athena and praying for the dash vs rerolling to guarantee it

- In doing the fates that want you to get every book and hammer you learn what works, what you like, maybe some accidental combos. Eventually you will straight up skip bad boons but early on you are just getting whatever you can.

- Weapon aspects. Again unlocking and trying them all you’ll realize that you get some aspects that just trivialize the game for your playstyle, and some that you will avoid every time. Leveling them further is a HUGE boost in some cases, every weapon has an aspect where 15 blood in will make it absolutely busted, and you can get blood from completing fates and quests

- Learning when to force boons. I know Chiron aspect on the bow is my easiest weapon. I know the special completely relies on certain boons. I’ll equip a keepsake early on to get a good special, and hold off on attack until Asphodel sometimes to guarantee a good Attack > Special combo. I also know which skills trigger which Duos now and sometimes
Intentionally go for them - some of them are absolute crap and it takes experience to learn that

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Like at this point I can tell around Elysium if I have completely failed with my build, but you can still stumble through the boss despite that and get to Styx and just die

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I've had Teleporting, Super fast firewheels when I already on FO2. it was the only time this game has actually made me yell "this is bullshit" because it was completely unavoidable.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Im aware of the poison curing pools. Regardless, you can still end up with some combos in styx that really gently caress you over.

It's just weird, because I am this point in the game where basically everything leading up to Hades is trivial. On a good run I usually get his second phase down to like 20% heath and die. On a very bad run I might die on the theseus/Minotaur but it's all starting to feel like busywork up until that point. Luckily the variety in builds keep it fun, but sometimes it feels like I am just wasting 25 minutes getting to Theseus and building a card deck along the way. I cant remember the last time I died even once before that.

Athena dash, Athena call, extra dodges, the dodge->zoom boon are all extremely helpful for getting through the final boss consistently since they give you more chance to avoid his whirl attack. Are you using broken spearhead in Styx? It gives you breathing room to reach the poison cure thing before you actually start taking poison damage. Are you thinking through your build and boon choices to complement your weapon and maybe aim for useful duo boons? What mirror options are you using?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

veni veni veni posted:

This is exactly where I am too right now. I'm about 40 runs in and have pretty much maxed out my chosen mirror bonuses so I'm not sure how much more progression I can squeeze out. I know it's just a case of gitting gud but I'd really love a practice mode so I can not keep almost getting there all day. I'm almost tempted to tick the god mode box but I know that would leave me empty and unfulfilled in the end.

Is there any way of getting more titan's blood without killing Hades? Or respeccing? I poured it all into the shield which is fine but I'd like to try some of the others/

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Deformed Church posted:

This is exactly where I am too right now. I'm about 40 runs in and have pretty much maxed out my chosen mirror bonuses so I'm not sure how much more progression I can squeeze out. I know it's just a case of gitting gud but I'd really love a practice mode so I can not keep almost getting there all day. I'm almost tempted to tick the god mode box but I know that would leave me empty and unfulfilled in the end.

Is there any way of getting more titan's blood without killing Hades? Or respeccing? I poured it all into the shield which is fine but I'd like to try some of the others/

Beat meg with all weapons to get 6 titan's blood.
Beat the hydra with all weapons to get 6 diamonds, trade for 3 titan's blood.
Beat Theseus & Asterius with all weapons to get Ambrosia, trade it for titan blood, 6 more titan blood.
Wretched broker has repeatable trades for 1 Titan Blood for 1000 Gemstone, or 100 Chthonic Key, or 20 Nectar, or 2 Diamond, or 1 Ambrosia.
Wretched broker occasionally has deals to trade something for 1 titan blood.
Complete fated minor prophecies that reward titan blood.
Hope that the Styx shop has Titan blood and save up 1200g to buy it once/run

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 11, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Deformed Church posted:

Save up 1200 coin and hope one is the shop in Styx.

Trading with the Broker as well.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Deformed Church posted:

At that point just download the codex mod so you can spawn stuff in and cheat a little

you've played long enough, vomiting blood out of your mouth to get zany weapons and make some of the aspects actually viable won't break anything

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Deformed Church posted:

If you feel like you've hit your skill ceiling there's nothing wrong with switching on god mode - it's not actual god mode, it's just 20% damage reduction which goes up by 2% every time you die until 80%. It's meant to smooth things out for people frustrated with the difficulty, not provide an instant win button.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Just had a run with a 12 dmg/0.5s Heroic Hangover boon on Eris attack rail with just about every other Hangover boon as well as 4 Duo boons (8 stack, +crit chance for each stack, +crit damage on weak enemies, 0.35s damage ticks). I also had 10% attack speed from Hermes, Ricochet shot hammer and Flurry Fire (faster, more accurate shots). Stuff just melted as I pelted them with SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS.

On that note, does anyone have numbers of Flurry Fire vs Delta Chamber? Which one is higher dps?

Unrelated: Poseidon's favour is absolute bullshit, finished all the others ages ago.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Like at this point I can tell around Elysium if I have completely failed with my build, but you can still stumble through the boss despite that and get to Styx and just die

Yeah, the first Elysium room with armored, regenerating enemies lets you know if you're going to get Hades this go IMO.

Don't sleep on that Bone Hourglass, an eye of lamia lasting ELEVEN CHAMBERS and your +40% special lasting FOURTEEN CHAMBERS etc. is pretty awesome.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Turned out that as with most video game problems, the trick is to complain on the internet and then get it within the next couple of tries.

Not quite an ideal build but it worked well enough. I actually wasn't even really trying, I only went in down a life and low on health and wasn't totally comfortable with my build after a rocky Theseus and The Minotaur, so I figured I'd focus on learning the tells and dodging the attacks rather than trying to apply DPS. I guess the lesson here is that you can keep attacking as long as you want if you keep not dying.

Also the hangover call is crazy, no real buffs and it did an immense amount of work.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The basic weapon aspect for each weapon can get upgraded to max with 5 blood. They're also all at least decent, and since you've got 1 win under your belt you can play each weapon in heat 1 to get rewards from there. In general, if you're dying on hades, usually its an issue of not dodging his swings and pushing too hard for damage.

Make sure to pick up some max health on the way, I tend to prioritize health rooms over stuff like coins/shops until I've got around 200 hp, though if you've got 400-500 coin and a shop comes up you'll often be able to buy a boon and health so that is a good time to stop in there. (I did have a run with the aphro boon that increases max health gain that I almost got to 600, it was great).

Next is keepsake usage. If you can clear rooms decently, the plume can net you a good amount of dodge, and if you're using the fists you can get more dodge, and take the hermes boon for more dodge. Having 50%+ dodge chance really extends your lifebar.

If you're not so hot on that, a decent strategy is to start with the coin purse (150 coin is 1 boon at the first shop you stop at basically), then force a god or two to reinforce whatever build you're assembling. If you're branching out from forcing gods, the charon well upgrade is actually quite good, making things you buy generally last the entire level.

Then you've got a couple choices based on where you lose the most hp. Spearhead gives you a ton of breathing room in styx, and is fairly useful against hades (lasers, only get hit by first spear swing, etc). Evergreen acorn gets you 5 free hits from hades. Lucky tooth is the bonus death defiance and gives you 100 hp, which is probably less than the others but depending on the overall situation might be better (less stressful and easier to track than acorn if you have no DD left for example).

Another thing is to work on getting a companion. Either look 'em up, keep playing or advance some of your relationships in-house far enough to unlock them. They can't be used (for the most part) on hades himself, but can be very useful against bosses/minibosses that cost you a lot of health.

After all of that, focusing hard on 1-2 things with your boons tends to be better than slightly improving a ton of stuff. So instead of improving attack+cast+special, its often best to double down on just 1 of those, and maybe look for useful status effects on the others. Check out what duo boons are available to your god list, because while they are almost never the lynchpin of a build, they often hit the boosters on them. I'd say that figuring out how each aspect plays and what from the gods you pulled works together is key to having successful runs.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

tfw you reroll athena twice for 3 thingies and don't get the dash :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Theres also trap boons. I think some are just not great in any circumstance, but most can be good but may not be good for your run. Building up a sense over time of what is available, what may become available, and building accordingly I find is the difference between winning and not.

We've all had those runs where you get to elysium and just aren't doing enough damage and know you're not going to make it. I'm finding those are actually mostly avoidable once you get some rerolls, use your trinkets effectively, pick with an eye to future development, etc