Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

BigFactory posted:

I wonder what kind of material they have for a box set? Demos would be cool but between amnesiac and all the b-sides I don’t know how many unreleased Kid A era songs there are.
I doubt they have many fully finished outtakes like I Promise but given how experimental the time was they probably have a lot of prototype stuff that would be interesting in the same way as the OK Computer cassette and minidiscs. I seem to remember Nigel saying around the OKNOTOK period they were lacking on unreleased stuff for OK Computer because they reused tapes and were generally stingy with storing unused things, but that they had a ton of stuff from Kid A and Amnesiac for when the time rolls around for that. Since they were both taken from the same sessions it would be hard to do a proper archival release for Kid A without also combining it with Amnesiac, since technically any unreleased material from one is also unreleased material from the other.

Personally I hope there are six more versions of Morning Bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Amnesiac rules, so does kid a. Morning bell and life in a glasshouse. Spinning plates!! Fuckin love that poo poo

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

please say sike

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

no

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Amnesiac (plus b-sides), are all better albums for me.

The subjectivity of music!

:hmmyes:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Volte posted:

I doubt they have many fully finished outtakes like I Promise but given how experimental the time was they probably have a lot of prototype stuff that would be interesting in the same way as the OK Computer cassette and minidiscs. I seem to remember Nigel saying around the OKNOTOK period they were lacking on unreleased stuff for OK Computer because they reused tapes and were generally stingy with storing unused things, but that they had a ton of stuff from Kid A and Amnesiac for when the time rolls around for that. Since they were both taken from the same sessions it would be hard to do a proper archival release for Kid A without also combining it with Amnesiac, since technically any unreleased material from one is also unreleased material from the other.

Personally I hope there are six more versions of Morning Bell.

Morning Bell/Pablo Honey
Morning Bell/OK Computer
Morning Bell/Hail to the Thief
Morning Bell/In Rainbows
Morning Bell/The King of Limbs
Morning Bell/A Moon Shaped Pool

:v:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Pop Is Dead/Amnesiac

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Has anybody got their hands on this book yet, or heard anything about it?

https://www.hachettebooks.com/titles/steven-hyden/this-isnt-happening/9780306845680/?utm_expid=.OyywKgKNQfKo0ZgN1WBZtg.0&utm_referrer=

Kinda interested in picking it up but would really prefer a hardcopy of there's pictures in it. Also from some of the reviews it looks like it has some ridiculous writing in it...

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Steven Hyden is a good writer who has absolutely baffling opinions and I have to imagine the book is good.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I've got a lot of room in my heart for the live version of Videotape (to say nothing of solo Thom version) but the recorded track is transcendent, and probably my #1 from the band. In Rainbows came out while I was in college and there'll never be another time in my life where I'm young, stoned out of my gourd, and playing Videotape on repeat trying to understand why I'm so happy that I'm sad.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
In Rainbows came out 13 years ago today. Giving a spin on the turntable and remembering why I don't play it as often outside of my car on Spotify-- I forgot how much bad luck I had trying to get a good one. The first one I bought straight up had like, a bubble in the vinyl that made it skip, and the second one skips on Jigsaw Falling Into Place.

Still one of the best.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I was in Seattle for work, so I had to go to a coffee shop to download it, then burn it onto a CD-R to listen to on my drive up to Vancouver.

Those were the daaaaaaaaaays

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I remember downloading the MP3s when it first came out, then buying the CD with its DIY packaging when that came out. Man, that's a great album :allears:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I loved the DIY packaging. I bought three copies, and still have two of ‘em shrink wrapped.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Weird Fishes will probably always be my favorite Radiohead song. Finally saw them live in 2018 but they didn't play it, so that stays on my bucket list.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

hughesta posted:

Weird Fishes will probably always be my favorite Radiohead song. Finally saw them live in 2018 but they didn't play it, so that stays on my bucket list.
That stinks, it should be locked in to their set list permanently with how good it is live

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I saw them two shows back to back and on the first night thom Yorke forgot the words to karma police which, lol. Set list for that show was completely amazing

Bloom
15 Step
Airbag
Little by Little
Morning Mr. Magpie
Myxomatosis
Kid A
Videotape
The Daily Mail
The Amazing Sounds of Orgy
Karma Police
Identikit
Lotus Flower
There There
Feral
Reckoner

Encore:
Separator
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
Lucky
Everything in Its Right Place

Encore 2:
Give Up the Ghost
You and Whose Army?
Idioteque

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I don't know if they use the same lighting rig on every your but the In Rainbows tour was phenomenal.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Each tour has had different lighting setups I believe but a lot of the visuals are reused which makes considering how much they change the set list between each show (they played Like Spinning Plates the first time I saw them :allears:).

The King of Limbs and Moon Shaped Pool setups that I saw were both excellent but I was glad I was close to the stage for both. They didn’t have the usual giant screens of the band playing but instead had the weird distorted close ups.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I really hope Radiohead will have something new after Covid so I can go see them live already.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My favorite live moment when I saw them on the In Rainbows tour was Thom and Jonny constantly loving up and restarting Faust Arp. They were trying so hard not to break down into giggle fits. Lmao

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

hughesta posted:

They played it when I saw them in 2012, when I wasn't all that familiar with half of their catalogue and Weird Fishes meant nothing to me. Then didn't play it when I saw them in 2017 and it was my favourite Radiohead song.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I saw them two shows back to back and on the first night thom Yorke forgot the words to karma police which, lol. Set list for that show was completely amazing

Bloom
15 Step
Airbag
Little by Little
Morning Mr. Magpie
Myxomatosis
Kid A
Videotape
The Daily Mail
Karma Police
Identikit
Lotus Flower
There There
Feral
Reckoner

Encore:
Separator
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
Lucky

Encore 2:
Give Up the Ghost
You and Whose Army?
Idioteque

Dang that's nearly a perfect set. Just missing...I'm gonna say I Might Be Wrong and Pyramid Song

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
This was my first Radiohead show. I thought it was a good one.

The national anthem
Airbag
Morning bell
Lucky
Knives out
Pact like sardines
No surprises
Dollars and cents
Street spirit
Pearly
Just
I might be wrong
Pyramid song
Paranoid android
Idioteque
Everything in its right place
E1
Like spinning plates
Talk show host
You and who’s army
The bends
E2
Karma police
The tourist

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Austin City Limits Fest is rebroadcasting sets from previous years this weekend. Part of Radiohead's set from 2016 is on tonight at 10:45 Central.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqJrDKy56RA

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Do they play Reckoner much?

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Bloom
15 Step
Airbag
Little by Little
Morning Mr. Magpie
Myxomatosis
Kid A
Videotape
The Daily Mail
Karma Police
Identikit
Lotus Flower
There There
Feral
Reckoner

Encore:
Separator
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
Lucky

Encore 2:
Give Up the Ghost
You and Whose Army?
Idioteque

St. Louis, 3/9/12?

Pretty sure this is that show. I drove overnight to catch this one. So good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Do they play Reckoner much?

They did on the last tour. Not every night but often

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Action Serious posted:

St. Louis, 3/9/12?

Pretty sure this is that show. I drove overnight to catch this one. So good.

Exactly right. The whole set was incredible but that idioteque finale...sheesh

Went to the KC show the next day or maybe two days later and they did paranoid Android. It whipped rear end

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
The set I got in 2018 was pretty awesome

Daydreaming
Desert Island Disk
Ful Stop
Myxomatosis
Lucky
Kid A
Decks Dark
Where I End And You Begin
Separator
Exit Music (For a Film)
Spectre (live debut!!)
Climbing Up The Walls
The Gloating
Idioteque
Feral
My Iron Lung
Bodysnatchers

You and Whose Army?
Airbag
The National Anthem
2 + 2 = 5
Street Spirit (Fade Out)

Everything In Its Right Place
Pyramid Song
Karma Police

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

hughesta posted:

Saw them twice in 2018 in Boston. They didn’t play it night one so I had to go back for night two. Can’t see Radiohead and not sing “Eeeeeeeeddddddd!” I was also pleasantly surprised that there weren’t many repeats in general between the two nights.

In Rainbows is such a great record, very close to perfect from start to finish. I happened to wake up at 3am EST the morning it was released, listened to the whole thing, fell back asleep, and listened again on repeat for most of 2007 and 2008. Weird Fishes ended up hitting me hard the morning after on the bus on the way to class. I was completely swept away and all of a sudden I was holding back tears.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

The only song that I think is a waste of a slot on a set list is Mr Magpie. Conversely, they can change the set list as much as they want as long as Idioteque and Everything in its Right Place are always there.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

BigFactory posted:

This was my first Radiohead show. I thought it was a good one.

Gotta be from the 2001 tour right? I loved when they opened with "The National Anthem" back then.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What are the songs with the greatest delta in quality between live performance and studio version (in either direction)? The only thing I can think of as a somewhat consensus pick would be The Gloaming (long considered to be superior live).

I also remember being really let down with how 15 Step turned out after seeing it on that preview tour in summer 2006- they totally EQ’d / compressed the bass out of the beat for the record. I’ve learned to love it since but that was a let down.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jewmanji posted:

What are the songs with the greatest delta in quality between live performance and studio version (in either direction)?
Down Is The New Up and Go Slowly both got did dirty on the record compared to live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOPe8DE-RKU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFi_9KFiyR8

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Jewmanji posted:

What are the songs with the greatest delta in quality between live performance and studio version (in either direction)? The only thing I can think of as a somewhat consensus pick would be The Gloaming (long considered to be superior live).

I also remember being really let down with how 15 Step turned out after seeing it on that preview tour in summer 2006- they totally EQ’d / compressed the bass out of the beat for the record. I’ve learned to love it since but that was a let down.

There There with the additional drum kits is something else live. Idioteque’s outro is manic. Almost all the songs from King of Limbs are far, far better live than the studio album.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Volte posted:

Down Is The New Up and Go Slowly both got did dirty on the record compared to live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOPe8DE-RKU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFi_9KFiyR8

If there’s one criticism I can give In Rainbows, it’s that the production was very clean and kinda sterile. Even Bodysnatchers sounds a little too “perfect”.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sand Monster posted:

Gotta be from the 2001 tour right? I loved when they opened with "The National Anthem" back then.

Yeah it was the us tour that summer amnesiac came out.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

HD DAD posted:

If there’s one criticism I can give In Rainbows, it’s that the production was very clean and kinda sterile. Even Bodysnatchers sounds a little too “perfect”.

Conversely, that's what I love about it. I think it's one of the all time best produced albums, and it's a go-to when I'm testing new speakers or systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Saw them twice in 2018 in Boston. They didn’t play it night one so I had to go back for night two. Can’t see Radiohead and not sing “Eeeeeeeeddddddd!” I was also pleasantly surprised that there weren’t many repeats in general between the two nights.

In Rainbows is such a great record, very close to perfect from start to finish. I happened to wake up at 3am EST the morning it was released, listened to the whole thing, fell back asleep, and listened again on repeat for most of 2007 and 2008. Weird Fishes ended up hitting me hard the morning after on the bus on the way to class. I was completely swept away and all of a sudden I was holding back tears.

That album was such a magical time for me. I got into the band – and music generally I guess – around the time they started the Dead Air Space blog. Following along to the gestation of that album as I explored the back catalogue and all their named influences was so much fun, and then hearing the finished record for the first time was one of the most intense musical experiences I've ever had. I don't think anything comes close emotionally to hearing that initial burst of strings and vocals on Nude after hearing so many different versions of that song.