Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The first Terminator movie had to steal some shots and break some laws to get a few things filmed, and one of the pick-up practical effect shots was done with unbelievably cheap crap in James Cameron's hotel room. That's pretty funny when you look at the absurd amount of money he can spend to have his computers do anything today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Nothing will beat Larry Cohen making the New York police department think there was a terrorist attack when he filmed Q the Winged Serpent and didn't tell anyway there would be a bunch of dudes on the Chrysler? building shooting guns.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Someone asked about Are You Afraid of the Dark earlier; I went looking for some episodes to watch with my kid and turns out it's all on YouTube. As in officially, full HD episodes. Boo!

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Retro Futurist posted:

Someone asked about Are You Afraid of the Dark earlier; I went looking for some episodes to watch with my kid and turns out it's all on YouTube. As in officially, full HD episodes. Boo!

I wanted to do another watch through but the last time was only able to because it was that narrow window that it was available on Prime, so bless you.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
If anybody has not watched it: The Reboot movie from last year is legitimately good.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

anime tupac posted:

tag yourself in a horror movie, i'm easily this guy

huge nerd, died as he lived: chomping on a chicken wing, clearly about to get killed by a ghost (I can only hope)

As much as I'd like to believe otherwise, I would be the on-edge lawyer(?) from The Langoliers. :(

I watched Mirrors (2008) yesterday and was shocked by how bad it was. I know it wasn't well received, but my best friend was nearly traumatised by it when it came out (we were in secondary school at the time). I was scared to death of even the idea of horror films at the time, so to think that this one would do that to him made me look at it as some holy grail of fright. I was not ready for it to turn out to be a slick Kiefer Sutherland vehicle with barely any good scares.

The bit where the bartender rips her own jaw off was pretty wild, though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Alright, need horror recommendations for a couple of 6 year old girls who love classic media. They adore Scooby-Doo and the OG Addams Family TV show and Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein, and their dad is asking me for more suggestions.

I recommended Bewitched since they already get into I Love Lucy, and I threw out the Hotel Transylvania flicks as a modern day Munsters riff.

Anyone have any good older picks for the younger set?

Retro Futurist posted:

Awesome. I'll definitely be checking some out!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I've watched a lot of the 70s and 80s slashers I have missed the last month or so and drat is there ever gonna be a better horror song than Halloween. Nightmare on Elm Street (especially 3 and 4) has the best/funnest music over all though.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
HOT loving TAKE: Tublar Bells is the best horror movie theme ever made, BUT it doesn't really work as organically as you'd like in The Exorcist. Like it's fine, but when I rewatched last year, I found it to be like a layer over the movie. Tublar Bells denotes a sort of frantic urgency and it doesn't always match the scenes it's playing in.

It's only a smidge better than Halloween, but the Halloween theme works so much better. When I listen to it in a vacuum, I always get the vibe of walking home alone at night, thinking something is following me, seeing something, and moving into a full on sprint. That of course works really well with the actual film.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

feedmyleg posted:

Alright, need horror recommendations for a couple of 6 year old girls who love classic media. They adore Scooby-Doo and the OG Addams Family TV show and Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein, and their dad is asking me for more suggestions.

I recommended Bewitched since they already get into I Love Lucy, and I threw out the Hotel Transylvania flicks as a modern day Munsters riff.

The new Goosebumps movies are pretty decent. All the animated Burton stuff of course.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

FreudianSlippers posted:

A truly self conscious AI would hate the people who created it the most.
Well, yes, but that's what therapy is for.

Richleau
Sep 25, 2020

alf_pogs posted:

there's apparently a very good fancut focused on the psychological elements but I've had no luck tracking it down

I have the fanedit. If proper, I will post a download link so all here may enjoy my favorite fanedit of all time. Would you like for me to do so here or should I post that link in discord?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Richleau posted:

I have the fanedit. If proper, I will post a download link so all here may enjoy my favorite fanedit of all time. Would you like for me to do so here or should I post that link in discord?

I know we've gotten a bit looser about piracy on the boards over the past year or two, but I think this is still a no-no here. I assume it's fine on Discord though. I looked it up on one of my private trackers they linked to this trailer for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM-JzAq2700

Richleau
Sep 25, 2020

feedmyleg posted:

I know we've gotten a bit looser about piracy on the boards over the past year or two, but I think this is still a no-no here. I assume it's fine on Discord though. I looked it up on one of my private trackers they linked to this trailer for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM-JzAq2700

My only reasoning is that it is a fanedit and therefore should be free to share as it is technically its own product, but I understand. To all who are curious, I will post the download link in discord unless I am told not to do so.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
For what it's worth, I put my Starry Eyes fan edit up on Vimeo and nobody's ever taken issue with me linking it here, so I suspect a lot of it is also where you're hosting it. Streaming sites are generally more acceptable than torrents.

Richleau
Sep 25, 2020

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

For what it's worth, I put my Starry Eyes fan edit up on Vimeo and nobody's ever taken issue with me linking it here, so I suspect a lot of it is also where you're hosting it. Streaming sites are generally more acceptable than torrents.

I was just going to put a direct download link from my google drive but posting it on vimeo seems a better course of action. If you were able to do so without incident in that situation, I shall follow your lead as I greatly want others to experience the director's intent.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Richleau posted:

I was just going to put a direct download link from my google drive but posting it on vimeo seems a better course of action. If you were able to do so without incident in that situation, I shall follow your lead as I greatly want others to experience the director's intent.

I would love this.

Richleau
Sep 25, 2020

PriorMarcus posted:

I would love this.

looks like vimeo makes you pay money to post a file that large, so I'll just post it to youtube and put the link here when it's finished.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I rewatched (and showed to a friend for their first time) Invasion of the Body Snatchers from 1978 last night and it remains incredible.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I rewatched (and showed to a friend for their first time) Invasion of the Body Snatchers from 1978 last night and it remains incredible.

can confirm - watched it for the first time on friday and was blown away.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Richleau posted:

looks like vimeo makes you pay money to post a file that large, so I'll just post it to youtube and put the link here when it's finished.

Yeah, I pay $12 a month to keep my Starry Eyes fan edit up, and it's annoying. :argh:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Chris James 2 posted:

Finished it a few minutes ago. My hot take is I love it more than I loved Hill House?

It being way more sad and way more gay than Hill House almost certainly has a lot to do with that, but still

At the very least it should be easily agreeable that Bly Manor is the better Turn of the Screw-esque piece of horror media this year. gently caress The Turning

Just got done with episode 5 last night and I'm enjoying it. Not as spooky as Hill House because its a different genre and I've managed to call the twists so far, but that's testament to the storytelling, right, that if you're paying close attention you can figure stuff out? The guy I watched Hill House with doesn't like it as much because it's not got many ghosts/scares in so far and another friend found episode 5 very difficult to follow, which I felt was the point but also it was clear what was going on to me so maybe I'm just on the show's wavelength.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I watched it for the first time a few days ago and I agree!

Richleau
Sep 25, 2020

PriorMarcus posted:

I would love this.

Welp, it was blocked by youtube so I'll just post a download link in #spook-a-doodle. Go nab it now!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
God drat if Dogs Don't Wear Pants didn't push me in places I didn't know I wanted to be pushed, and gave me exactly what I needed. I feel rejuvenated and ecstatic in ways that uh, definitely don't have any parallels to the movie.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Richleau posted:

Welp, it was blocked by youtube so I'll just post a download link in #spook-a-doodle. Go nab it now!

thankyou so much for this. excited to give it a shot tomorrow

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

feedmyleg posted:

Jenny Nicholson's list probably has some stuff that'll be up their alley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZeVfn_8ajk

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Yeah, I pay $12 a month to keep my Starry Eyes fan edit up, and it's annoying. :argh:

Wtf put it on google drive

Richleau
Sep 25, 2020

alf_pogs posted:

thankyou so much for this. excited to give it a shot tomorrow

Lots of love to you! I am a huge fan of fanedits and have quite the collection. I have a neat one for event horizon, Manhunter, Blade 3, Scream, Silent Hill, Insidious, Jaws, etc. Let me know if you want me to post any of those tasty treats as well for your spooky Halloween. They are in many ways like seeing an all new film and in some they are only slightly different. Still fun!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Richleau posted:

Lots of love to you! I am a huge fan of fanedits and have quite the collection. I have a neat one for event horizon, Manhunter, Blade 3, Scream, Silent Hill, Insidious, Jaws, etc. Let me know if you want me to post any of those tasty treats as well for your spooky Halloween. They are in many ways like seeing an all new film and in some they are only slightly different. Still fun!

actually hell I'd love the Silent Hill recut. my partner loves that film in spite of a lot of it, so a maybe better version of it would be very well received

Richleau
Sep 25, 2020

alf_pogs posted:

actually hell I'd love the Silent Hill recut. my partner loves that film in spite of a lot of it, so a maybe better version of it would be very well received

Done deal, check #spook-a-doodle in 20 minutes. Please update me on what your partner thought and I'll make a full list of the ones I have. I have lots of Aliens fanedits too, prometheus, etc. I even have one called Bateman Begins which combines American Psycho and Batman Begins. It's ridiculous.

I also posted the Event Horizon fanedit as well. Check it out!

Richleau fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 12, 2020

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Y'all seen The Evil Dead?! What a picture!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The scene in Halloween Resurrection with Busta Rhymes fighting Michael are the cringiest thing I've ever seen.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Richleau posted:

Curious about Scream and Jaws. What does the fan edit do?

Also, I'm surprised there's not a bigger culture of redoing effects in older films and shows amongst fans.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Screened Cemetery Man for friends last Thursday and it was a big hit. Tonight I’m gonna screen Brain Damage. Hopefully that goes well. Here’s a list of potential hits I’ve gathered if we decide for a third one. None of these I’ve seen, so if there are more surefire crowd pleasers let me know:

The Brain (1988)
Black Sabbath (1963)
Robot Monster (1953)
Mystic in Bali (1981)
The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires (1972)

Richleau
Sep 25, 2020

PriorMarcus posted:

Curious about Scream and Jaws. What does the fan edit do?

Also, I'm surprised there's not a bigger culture of redoing effects in older films and shows amongst fans.

Jaws is turned into a grindhouse style film and Scream is turned into a giallo.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

Doesn't work in the US :(

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Last I checked they were on dailymotion as well

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m watching the Loomis Halloween films and I could’ve sworn I saw Halloween 5 before, but it’s not looking to be the case.

I thought I remembered one where right at the beginning someone is running around a building, and out of nowhere Michael shows up and shoves their head on a spike. Another franchise perhaps? Or 6? It’s been about 25 years since seeing it, hence vague details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You might be thinking 6.