Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Haha I just recently played it and had a blast just zipping around the galaxy seeing chill things. I played it at release and remember being kinda grumpy about how little there actually was to do.

And since it's sort of topical to the thread, they just released a new patch of content this past week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AirRaid posted:

My friend, let me tell you about a little game called No Man’s Sky.

I actually enjoyed NMS from day one but a lot of people understandably didn’t.

My pedantry says early access doesn't count and NMS was basically early access.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
"Basically" isn't the same as "actually." If it bills itself as a full release, it deserves to be judged by the standards of one.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Silent Hill 4: The Room is on GOG.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Amazing Cultivation Simulator now has an official English translation available as a beta. It's a colony management game that focuses on developing your individual colonists into supernatural powerhouses. Think Rimworld, but you manage a Naruto village.

https://twitter.com/ACS_GSQ/status/1309453766962290693

There's an LP of the game here.

It has a vast amount of content, I'm 80 (holy moly) hours in and there's still entire mechanics I'm ignoring because it's too much to learn at once. If you're a Rimworld fan and enjoy making numbers go up, I strongly recommend the game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Hell yeah, I've been waiting for that for months. Amazing Cultivation Sim is a great and hilarious game.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Sokani posted:

Amazing Cultivation Simulator now has an official English translation available as a beta. It's a colony management game that focuses on developing your individual colonists into supernatural powerhouses. Think Rimworld, but you manage a Naruto village.

It has a vast amount of content, I'm 80 (holy moly) hours in and there's still entire mechanics I'm ignoring because it's too much to learn at once. If you're a Rimworld fan and enjoy making numbers go up, I strongly recommend the game.

Is there a way in steam to switch to this English beta branch?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Good Citizen posted:

Right Click the game in your library -> Properties -> Betas tab

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Sokani posted:

This looks positively insane and fun.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Communist Bear posted:

This looks positively insane and fun.
It absolutely is. Check out Nyaa's ongoing LP of the game here to get an idea of how utterly crazy and wonderful it is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915034

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Good Citizen posted:

treat posted:

Right Click the game in your library -> Properties -> Betas tab

You also need to enter the code 'gsqenglishtest', there's full instructions here.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Sokani posted:

You also need to enter the code 'gsqenglishtest', there's full instructions here.

I looked at the LP intro, and I don’t understand. Is this game an MMO or multiplayer only, or is there a single-player option? Is the single player an afterthought? Comparing it to rimworld is tempting me!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Alamoduh posted:

I looked at the LP intro, and I don’t understand. Is this game an MMO or multiplayer only, or is there a single-player option? Is the single player an afterthought? Comparing it to rimworld is tempting me!

The game is single player only, how did you get the MMO/multiplayer impression?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Alamoduh posted:

It's a single-player game. I just random gen characters out of Goon's name, and let them decides what they wants to do with their character. It plays exactly like Rimworld.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

StrixNebulosa posted:

The game is single player only, how did you get the MMO/multiplayer impression?
I also would like to know more info, I kinda got some Elona+ or disgaea vibes, heard there was some "broken" mechanics like elder scrolls potion/enchant stuff going on, manipulate systems, break the game in fun ways.

Ridiculous and foreign, but maybe good..
Edit: haven't played rimworld yet but it's been on my wishlist forever.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 8, 2020

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Nyaa posted:

It's a single-player game. I just random gen characters out of Goon's name, and let them decides what they wants to do with their character. It plays exactly like Rimworld.

Awesome! I somehow got the impression that the base attacks in the LP were from other “guilds” or something, I guess the writing style made the AI seem more human than it really is.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I desperately wish there were some way to turn my google play store but into steam credits.

Rimworld but even more bonkers sounds amazing.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Edit: haven't played rimworld yet but it's been on my wishlist forever.
I have been mulling over how to introduce this type of Colony Sim to other. Let's keep it simple and less accurately describe ACS as... top-down Minecraft/lego where you build every block of wall and premade facility yourself. People will lives in these house and interact with things like cooking on the stove, and ultimately tries to cultivate themselves into immortal. They are semi-autonomous, so you can assign task/goal for them, and they will try to fulfill it when they are not distracted by important things like hunger and happiness.

The game have dozens of tutorial to introduce you to the whole mechanics.

Edit: I am playing blind on the LP.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Saxophone posted:

I desperately wish there were some way to turn my google play store but into steam credits.

It is Rimworld But Every Cheesy Chinese Fantasy Novel Ever. It's as good as it sounds.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Sokani posted:

This is the piece I was missing. Thanks man!

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saxophone posted:

As an example of how bonkers fun this game is -

(i) There's a martial arts technique in this game that's yin-aspected and therefore more suited to be learnt by women.

(ii) You can get your male disciples to learn this skill, at which point their penises will drop off. The title / label for penises in this game is 宝贝 / Precious.

(iii) Things that you can do with Preciouses include -

(a) Selling them to merchants for a decent sum of money

(b) Putting them on a display pedestal in a room to improve the Beautification score of the room (which boosts the mood of disciples in that room)

(c) Alchemically refining them into a flying weapon, so that you can literally attack enemies with your disciples' dicks

(d) Giving them sentience by casting an expensive high-level technique, and then converting them into a human form with another expensive high-level technique, so that your disciple's dick itself becomes a disciple, ready to carry on the proud legacy of your sect

Catpetter1981 fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 9, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Your sect can be a literal bunch of dicks, that's amazing. :allears:

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

Your sect can be a literal bunch of dicks, that's amazing. :allears:

A literal bunch of sentient dicksicples, wielding a literal bunch of enchanted flying dicks as their weapons.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Not only that, but a buncha dongs invented the written word: When they had to teach a new generation their secret techniques they went ahead and recorded it in a DICKtionary :D

Fun fact: Miriam and Webster were the first recorded pairing of student and student's dick, all future editions were named in their honor

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
You can tell how good a colony management game is by how much they've developed the organ harvesting system.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Ride 4 kind of blows

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Sokani posted:

You can tell how good a colony management game is by how much they've developed the organ harvesting system.
There’s a whole Body Cultivation system where you roll mutations for every single part of your body down to organ and bones to turn you into Punch God. :black101:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Rimworld is my most played game of all time at just shy of 900 hours so I can't not try this game

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I've been playing around with 9th Dawn III and it's surprisingly expansive and detailed so far for a twin stick shooter style action RPG. So many way to build up and things to explore and crafting/skills to upgrade. I don't know how long the loop will hold but the exploring is a weird mix of (the feel of) a randomly generated huge roguelike world and some more guided/composed world

e: the AI is loving useless though so don't waste skill points on having your party members do anything besides maybe healing themselves.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 10, 2020

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Sokani posted:

:toot: :toot:

Maybe I'll finally find out what the options on that magic dog actually do. The game is really great despite the fact that I haven't understood half the mechanics and played with the partial English translation mod.

Nyaa posted:

I have been mulling over how to introduce this type of Colony Sim to other. Let's keep it simple and less accurately describe ACS as... top-down Minecraft/lego where you build every block of wall and premade facility yourself. People will lives in these house and interact with things like cooking on the stove, and ultimately tries to cultivate themselves into immortal. They are semi-autonomous, so you can assign task/goal for them, and they will try to fulfill it when they are not distracted by important things like hunger and happiness.

The game have dozens of tutorial to introduce you to the whole mechanics.

Edit: I am playing blind on the LP.

The Let's Play is amazing by the way, and I don't normally read LPs!

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

I've been playing around with 9th Dawn III and it's surprisingly expansive and detailed so far for a twin stick shooter style action RPG. So many way to build up and things to explore and crafting/skills to upgrade. I don't know how long the loop will hold but the exploring is a weird mix of (the feel of) a randomly generated huge roguelike world and some more guided/composed world

e: the AI is loving useless though so don't waste skill points on having your party members do anything besides maybe healing themselves.

picked this up while it was on sale, thanks for the mention! reminds me of Chronicon at a glance which was great

love this 1 developer stuff, always a little rough around the edges but it’s crazy what one person can create

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Amazing Cultivation Simulator update: I have no clue what the gently caress is going on but I'm loving it. It's familiar enough from all my time in Rimworld that I understand the basic mechanics and can survive but what the hell is everything else. I accidentally built a stove out of fire-enchanted metal bars and it burned the kitchen down. I killed a bear and had to build an entire warehouse to store all the jerky I turned it into.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 11, 2020

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

deep dish peat moss posted:

Amazing Cultivation Simulator update: I have no clue what the gently caress is going on but I'm loving it. It's familiar enough from all my time in Rimworld that I understand the basic mechanics and can survive but what the hell is everything else. I accidentally built a stove out of fire-enchanted metal bars and it burned the kitchen down. I killed a bear and had to build an entire warehouse to store all the jerky I turned it into.

same. my poo poo is inauspicious af, and the two giant ancient ginko trees in my map are judging me and my ominous kitchen.
it's fun, though. The translation is good enough that it's not the limiting factor, in case anyone is worried about that (the obscure mechanics are, but learning how to minmax is half the fun).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
feng shui is very confusing

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, the more I play it and figure it out the more I realize it's not for me specifically because of the constant need to be balancing the feng shui of every room. My sect is based on the sun and so its power is fire, I built my sect leader a bedroom made out of Marble but their mood dropped because there wasn't enough fire element stuff in their room, so I used fire metal to make some of the furniture which made them even more unhappy because the elements were conflicting with each other, so then I had to rebuild it using wood instead of marble, then the fire element stuff inside started making it too hot which gave my leader heatstroke.

Constantly juggling different building materials is not something I like, I use a mod in Rimworld that just picks the materials for me on everything. I'm sure it's cool if you figure it out but I'd rather just go play Rimworld

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 11, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The game does have a crazy amount of interlinked systems that are often very fiddly and detail-oriented, so if that's not your sort of thing, then it would probably be a bad fit for you.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you want the main piece of furniture in the room to match your element and then have the other stuff in the room made of the element which feeds into yours iirc, the tutorial covers it

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

A really good guide for people starting out in Amazing Cultivation Simulator:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VgeRn1jiJnUlLl6Z4Bv-OM4L8Pz1ykTrKPOCCWdd5nc/edit#heading=h.w44oknbc5b8l

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I figured out how to make it work, it's just an annoying type of micromanagement that ruins the game for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/mikeBithell/status/1308501264452456449