Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

the proper way to be friendly is to voice line and run behind cover, put your weapon away to repel then wiggle if they don't shoot by then. After that you give them a couple loot items and they probably do the same for you and then you never follow each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
I kill all scavs. Learned my lesson fast.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I ran into my first friendly player scavs a couple of days ago. One dropped me a bandage and the other one wanted me to follow him for awhile. I did but frankly the whole thing just felt weird and I'd prefer it if we just stick to shooting each other.

I'm making myself feel better by assuming he thought I was an AI scav, and would have otherwise capped me.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Cage Kicker posted:

The only time I ever met friendly player scavs, one ran into me out front of the train station in Reserve. I threw him a pack of cigarettes for the troll toll and his 3 friends jumped out and wiggled at me, then we went and looted the D2 bunker together :) that was a nice fat loot run

I don't think I've been killed by human Scav more than five or six times in my now 100 hours that I've logged in over a month. Scav wiggle has gotten me through most of these situations just fine.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
just shoot everything that moves

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I come to you with a glad heart today, gentlemen. Nearly two months now I have been playing this game, and for approximately a month and a half of that time I have scoured every filing cabinet and every jacket on every map, every tech store and tech spawn that I know of on Interchange. I have searched high and low, prayed to gods both real and imagined, and considered dabbling in the blackest of arts to find that most elusive of items. Until today I had seen exactly three of them, ever. Two were turned in, one was lost to death, and then nothing for what felt like an eternity. But moments ago, on an Interchange scav run, I found it and made it out alive with it: the third gphone needed for Signal 2.

gently caress this quest. I cannot loathe it enough.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
There are many of those quests where the first few items come so quickly, then you don’t see a single one for what feels like ages.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
My kingdom for two KEK Tape.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Run some interchange.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I find them in filing cabinets all the time

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Run some interchange.

They are constantly unclaimed back shelves of oli.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I am constantly checking all the spots and they remain elusive. But every goon I know trips over ten of them whenever I log off for the night. :argh:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Interchange cache runs have been remarkably fight-y lately. found myself in a couple 1v4's recently, and being able to sneak around and ambush a group multiple times has been incredibly fun. felt very viet-cong to pick off someone with a nice SKS headtap, then run away and hide for the next one.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm finishing up my hideout. Is the booze generator just a money sink? Moonshine seems to sell for about 240k, but two sugar (70k each, sometimes more) + pure water (80-90k) is ~220ish and you'd probably eat that last 20k just in fees listing the moonshine right?

I know you can use moonshine in the scav case, but I've done some intel scav runs and haven't been impressed by the returns. It feels like gambling, the kinda thing where you're operating in the red while you hold out for some dream score that throws you back into the black.

Am I right that these are bad, at least in terms of pure roubles?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm finishing up my hideout. Is the booze generator just a money sink? Moonshine seems to sell for about 240k, but two sugar (70k each, sometimes more) + pure water (80-90k) is ~220ish and you'd probably eat that last 20k just in fees listing the moonshine right?

I know you can use moonshine in the scav case, but I've done some intel scav runs and haven't been impressed by the returns. It feels like gambling, the kinda thing where you're operating in the red while you hold out for some dream score that throws you back into the black.

The 7k runs are the safest option (and usually average ~20k pure profit). I make and run moonshine because it's fun, and you get rare FIR quest items that way. I think making moonshine is usually a ~50k loss between filters and sugar.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

You can lower the cost of moonshine by making your own water and by trading meds to therapist for sugar when she resets. Overall moonshine isn’t the most profitable craft though.

Vogs all day.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

You can lower the cost of moonshine by making your own water and by trading meds to therapist for sugar when she resets. Overall moonshine isn’t the most profitable craft though.

Vogs all day.

Are vogs better then red gunpowder?

is there a nerd sheet showing inputs/ outputs? I irrationally love crafting despite the lovely broken interface

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
From what I can tell the best pure profit loop is green gunpowder from peacekeeper grenades and prapor smoke grenade, then make 7.62 bp rounds at the workbench. Gives you around 120 rounds which consistently sell for around 780 each and it’s about a 2 hour loop

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Starting off just buy powercords (need 2x) and make wires (gives 8x). You can get them in bulk for under 15k a piece and sell the wires for anywhere from 9-11k a piece.

Later on just sell your bitcoins. I do scav case but only to stock up on quest items to save me from the tedium of having to find 15x Stupid Things.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

BSG is providing gifts to all pre-order players. Log-in on the website and scroll down to "Additional ingame equipment." Expires October 16th.

100 GP coins, redut, 545x39 95 round mags, PS ammo, P90, mags and ss190

Edit: and dog tag case and grenade box.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 15, 2020

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thats a lot of GP coins.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I definitely thought you typod. Holy poo poo bsg, just give me 20 bitcoins next time

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I also got a dog tag case and a grenade box that is stuffed full of f1s

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
This game is making me feel so inept. Just eating poo poo in every fight, scav or pmc. I've been focusing on customs, using the maps, trying to loot but mostly dying in 2-3 minutes because I can't win fights and have no clue where I'm being shot from. It's like i can't get any progress. Thinking about just writing off the $50 :/

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

sephiRoth IRA posted:

This game is making me feel so inept. Just eating poo poo in every fight, scav or pmc. I've been focusing on customs, using the maps, trying to loot but mostly dying in 2-3 minutes because I can't win fights and have no clue where I'm being shot from. It's like i can't get any progress. Thinking about just writing off the $50 :/

Join the goon discord and play with goons, the game is so much better with buddies to watch your back and help you learn the game.

Also most goons are swimming in money at this point and can help you out by bringing you good ammo, or gear if youre really stuggling to survive

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

sephiRoth IRA posted:

playing solo is maximum hardmode. It took me ~40-50 hours to feel like I could survive maps and get more frequent duel wins as a solo player. took learning map flow and timings so that I stopped blundering into view right as a squad hit a hill. I'm at ~30% survival rate playing solo and honestly? it feels pretty drat good now.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Famethrowa posted:

playing solo is maximum hardmode. It took me ~40-50 hours to feel like I could survive maps and get more frequent duel wins as a solo player. took learning map flow and timings so that I stopped blundering into view right as a squad hit a hill. I'm at ~30% survival rate playing solo and honestly? it feels pretty drat good now.

Thanks for the advice (including the discord). Sounds like I need to grind it out and jump on discord when I can. That cash infusion a few posts up was nuts!

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Thanks for the advice (including the discord). Sounds like I need to grind it out and jump on discord when I can. That cash infusion a few posts up was nuts!

Yup! Lots of us, including me, have hit the point you're at. Playing with a group takes a lot of the stress out of playing and goons are fantastic. Tarkov doesn't even have a lot of twitch skill to it, it's mostly just knowing where you're most likely to see another player at any given time which only comes with time. Don't give up! Soon you'll be dunking on everyone with less time in than you

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Theres no need to grind it out - just join the discord and grind it out with goons. A 5 man stack can be chaos but a solid 2-3 man is really some of the best gameplay

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Apart from what the others said (play with goons) if you really want/need to play solo, give night raids a try. If you avoid the high traffic areas, you'll be generally fine, while playing at your own pace.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

TheTofuShop posted:

Theres no need to grind it out - just join the discord and grind it out with goons. A 5 man stack can be chaos but a solid 2-3 man is really some of the best gameplay

A good 5 man is :discourse:. I've rarely had more fun in a multi-player shooter then a more or less coordinated 5 stack. Locking down a section of the map and conducting tactical advances retreats feels so good.

Really straddles that line between overwhelming ARMA 2 hour missions and an arcadey Battlefield match.

edit: alternatively, solo player is basically metal gear solid and 1vX ambush situations are pure heroin.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Sugar flea market fee is high at current market prices. About 17k (Intel. Center 3) per sugar to list it at 75k. Moonshine lists at 240k for 15k in fees. I use this craft to liquidate all my looted sugar.

The water collector super water craft provides some profit as well. Each filter costs about 80k, but 2 filters make 3 super waters. So every super water you sell (either directly or as moonshine) is like 35k profit.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Is there some sneaky way into the crack house intel room on Customs?

I spawned as a scav 42 minutes into the raid, was close to the crack house so I ran there and camped on the interior stairs waiting for someone to come along. Some guy comes up the metal fire escape, enters the building, loots the med room, and then he comes out of the intel room, through the only door that leads into it which was closed and in my line of sight the entire time.

I tried figuring out how to do it in an offline raid just now and while you can kinda hang by your toenails on the upper floor windows I refuse to believe that anybody can reliably jump from window to window to get in there that way. Especially since the dude was only level 12 and I doubt someone that new would know a trick like that.

But it had to be that right?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Is there some sneaky way into the crack house intel room on Customs?

I spawned as a scav 42 minutes into the raid, was close to the crack house so I ran there and camped on the interior stairs waiting for someone to come along. Some guy comes up the metal fire escape, enters the building, loots the med room, and then he comes out of the intel room, through the only door that leads into it which was closed and in my line of sight the entire time.

I tried figuring out how to do it in an offline raid just now and while you can kinda hang by your toenails on the upper floor windows I refuse to believe that anybody can reliably jump from window to window to get in there that way. Especially since the dude was only level 12 and I doubt someone that new would know a trick like that.

But it had to be that right?

If that's possible, it's dirty as gently caress and I must know how to do it

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Goooood I'm so bad at shooting in this game.

https://vimeo.com/469109648

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Checked in to do my hideout poo poo (even though I haven't played in a couple weeks) and saw there was a large update. They added some new toz shotguns in a new caliber, extra heavy bleeding that requires new healing items, made the flea market not in alphabetical order, and changed the menu so it requires three clicks instead of two to find an item on the flea market. Keep up the great work guys.

Edit: "When character is blind by flashbang, he will always reload with mag drop" hahahah

Edit2: "Increased fall damage" Hahahahahahaha

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 19, 2020

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the compass, mostly useful to new players, is 160k from level 3 jaeger.

lol

edit: lol I think the new animation poses while loading broke the servers

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 19, 2020

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

Yeah this is pretty dumb. One of my first posts in this thread as a new player was about how much trouble I had orienting myself and how Tarkov apparently existed in a universe where the compass was never developed.

Two months later and I can't ever see myself needing a compass to figure out where I am.

The compass should be in your inventory right from level 1.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Famethrowa posted:

lol

edit: lol I think the new animation poses while loading broke the servers

I'm starting to feel like this game is just a social experiment to weed out the players who have the patience to reach level 25 and actually start playing Tarkov, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm bitching a lot, but the QoL stuff is unbelievably nice. OTOH:

-Reloading mags in stash using a right click menu that finds all available ammo
-Sort button for containers (don't do your stash yet it's buggy and may delete things!!!!)
-Generator prompt if you left it on when you exit
-Hotkey for dropping backpack, in case you want to dump your poo poo before running around into a fight.
-When an item can move from A to B, if the container or gun can fit it will highlight green
-Buy all button now buys "all remaining" instead of giving you an error
-Preset menu will show you the ergo/recoil changes when you hover a new attachment