Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The groping thing is bad but that's obviously a league-wide issue that speaks to pervasive toxicity in male footy clubs. Richmond just exemplified it in those instances. I'm not defending it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Weird Sandwich posted:

I'm probably missing some things but:

- Lynch punching guys like 4 times this season with no suspensions
- Cotchin headlock tackle this week, will probably get no suspension
- Grimes obvious staging, gets cited then overturned on appeal
- Riewoldt, Grimes, Martin also striking players throughout the season
- Hardwick responding to any criticism of the above behaviour with "This is a hard game, we'll play on the edge, etc..." while simultaneously
- Complaining about how hard done they are by the umpires (Even though they get very favourable results at the tribunal)
- Hardwick denouncing online abuse to his players (good), then insulting David Schwartz for crying (gently caress off)
- Hardwick feigning ignorance of his players groping each other, and running away when questioned about it
- Coleman-Jones and Stack breaching covid protocols

Richmond were a fairly likeable team back when they won in 2017, but the success has obviously gone to their heads and they've become incredibly arrogant and entitled. The players are using dirtier tactics, expecting favourable umpire treatment, and Hardwick has gone full Clarkson.

They seem to get kissed on the dick by the umpires a lot too, not just this season but for a few years now. It's verging on a conspiracy theory but I feel like the AFL would prefer they make finals over other clubs because of the big crowds.

Also they've had Rance who was also an unlikable staging oval office when he was playing and I feel like they've had a few undeserving AA selections over the last few years..

Finally, I miss all the memes about finishing 9th, the whole thing with making their first final in gently caress knows how long and getting beaten by the 9th placed side after Essendon got booted, microwaving memberships, the pile of manure, Mario from East Doncaster and so on. That stuff was part of AFL lore and I feel like the game has become a sadder spectacle without it.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Thanks all, appreciate you taking the time. ofc s till going to support my club etc but welcome the outside perspective. This thread can seem a little insular at times so thanks for not shouting me down and such

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Damian hardwick is by far the most unlikable coach in the league, he is a thin-skinned hypocritice and should go sit on a fence spike.

Also richmond players are dirtier than anyone in the league save for the Green/Mumford combo.

Last three players to punch people in the back of the head out of play were all richmond, Lynch, Rance, Conca, and Conca was the only one to ever face remotely appropriate penalties for the poo poo they pulled

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I swear Hardwick was actually one of the better coaches personality-wise up to the 2017 win. I can't recall anything lovely from him before then and I liked his pressers and ability to admit faults.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Collingwon't

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

More like Lollingwood :smug:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Arguably worse than whatever our performance in the 2018 PF was

We were 0.6 compared to 1.0, and Geelong 60 compared to Eagles 69 but shorter quarters

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
As a Dees supporter: thank you Collingwood

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

:hmmyes:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

lol Gary Rohan's nickname is Chucky. Brilliant

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

Damian hardwick is by far the most unlikable coach in the league, he is a thin-skinned hypocritice and should go sit on a fence spike.

wasn't he about thiiiiiiiis close to getting fired after the 2016 season / was on the very hot seat coming into 2017 as well?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Eddie McGuire is sad tonight.
This is a good thing for society in general.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Re: Richmond, don't forget that their success in 2019 had a strong correlation to their fixture having them based in Melbourne for the last 9 weeks of the season and playing away like 4-5 times. It was worse than the usual Collingwood fixture setting.

That and they're just a bunch of dirty pricks with a hateable list of players and coach, and a lot of insufferable fans who really don't know anything about the rules. Richmond fans in here are ok as are most supporters even when we do have bants or get heated discussions - Tigers fans on social media though.. Jesus.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's good that Collingwood lost, and it will be even better if Geelong loses next week.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

amenbrotep posted:

Thanks all, appreciate you taking the time. ofc s till going to support my club etc but welcome the outside perspective. This thread can seem a little insular at times so thanks for not shouting me down and such

I do kind of feel bad now everyones dunking on your team lol but not one would or should bemoan you for following your team. Friendly football tribalism is what makes AFL so good a lot of the time, so much history there.

The real scum are WCE supporters who harp on about "too many teams!!!#@$!" whilst sitting on their ivory tower in a two horse town, that poo poo makes me livid after seeing how shattering it was coming from a diehard Fitzroy family.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Rhys Shaw is in a bad way, had a proper meltdown and spent a bit of time in hospital.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

Rhys Shaw is in a bad way, had a proper meltdown and spent a bit of time in hospital.

Have seen this posted on the bigfooty rumours forum which is about as reliable as my mates having a yarn at the pub. If it is true however, I hope that it has been left out of the media by way of respect for him and his family. Rare for footy journalism, but would be good to see.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Yeah I don’t think there’s going to be anything in the media about it. Daniel Cherny alluded to it in a tweet a few days back though.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Preuss has requested a trade to GWS. His decision to go to the Dees always confused me since he was never going to get a game unless Gawn was injured.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Nutsngum posted:

I do kind of feel bad now everyones dunking on your team lol but not one would or should bemoan you for following your team. Friendly football tribalism is what makes AFL so good a lot of the time, so much history there.

The real scum are WCE supporters who harp on about "too many teams!!!#@$!" whilst sitting on their ivory tower in a two horse town, that poo poo makes me livid after seeing how shattering it was coming from a diehard Fitzroy family.

Calling Perth a 'two horse town' is being overly generous to Fremantle -Theoretically A- Football Club

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

masterpine posted:

Calling Perth a 'two horse town' is being overly generous to Fremantle -Theoretically A- Football Club

Hey, they made a grand final.

Didnt show up, but technically they made it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

NPR Journalizard posted:

I remember that grand final! It was really fun.

I was in an Irish bar in Chengdu, and was the only Hawthorn supporter in the bar. Everyone else was barracking for Freos first flag.

Also, after the game, I drunkenly told my life story to the Australian Consular-General and his wife, and was kissed on the mouth by a Ukranian girl.

Fun times.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Jack Higgins' partner further elevating opinions on the Richmond Football Club and its people

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Extremely funny for someone named Tenisha to be going off at the lowlifes in the western suburbs imo

This is a nice little stinger in the foxfooty article too

"The Dogs spent 92 days in Queensland without an indiscretion, whereas Richmond has had two, including Sydney Stack and Callum Coleman-Jones getting booted from the state after they were evicted from a strip club and involved in a fight outside a Caville Ave kebab shop at 3am."

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Would she have preferred they went to a strip club and then got into a brawl at a kebab shop?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

NPR Journalizard posted:

They were only 10 points down at 3QT, it was definitely the closest of the three-peat GFs. I mean I was pretty tense until Smith nailed that roost and went all doolally. Even then, after that...

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Deadly Hume posted:

They were only 10 points down at 3QT, it was definitely the closest of the three-peat GFs. I mean I was pretty tense until Smith nailed that roost and went all doolally. Even then, after that...

TBH I dont really remember it. Too busy blocking out / projecting how poo poo WCE were vs sydney

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

quote:

Fremantle Docker Jesse Hogan has been fined $8000 after breaching WA’s quarantine rules upon returning to Perth at the end of the AFL home and away season.

His lawyer Terry Dobson said Hogan “hadn’t been with any females in months”, due to being in the Queensland AFL hub, when he invited a woman to stay the night at his Attadale home one day into his 14-day quarantine period.

:pervert: 'females' :pervert:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

:females:

Am I supposed to feel sorry for him because he hasn't hosed lately? Because I don't

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I empathise but not sympathise

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Couldn't keep his penis to himself for two more weeks, how sad for him

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lynden Dunn retires at 198 games and no finals :smith:

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

Couldn't keep his penis to himself for two more weeks, how sad for him

Barely lasted a day!

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 13, 2020

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Here is a completely unrelated thought I just had.

You know how Robbie Muir was branded Mad Dog for his acts of aggression, violence and thuggery on the field. Just as there was Chris Lewis, who I remember being painted a violent angry player by the Victorian media, (I seem to remember he spat at somebody), yet has been called a lovely sweet man by all who played with and knew him. Both of these players, and probably a few more were mocked, denigrated, and villified for being "savage thugs". Both of these players are aboriginal.

Then you have how the media, and the footy public in general are treating Toby Greene and Tom Lynch etc.. One of which has a conviction for Assault, and the other who has multiple times attacked a helpless opponent on the ground. These players are lauded and commended for playing "tough uncompromising" football, and "taking no prisoners" etc. And if they are criticized, then it is the much gentler "white line fever" that gets applied to them. Both of these players are white.

Am I reading too much into it by seeing a racist double standard? Is it a case of "the media landscape/footy public were different back then"?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

Am I reading too much into it by seeing a racist double standard? Is it a case of "the media landscape/footy public were different back then"?

When in doubt, assume its racism.

I mean, the whole Adam Goodes saga wasn't that long ago.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nah that is the classic definition of dog-whistle racism. Or, if they’re hardly subtle, trombone racism!

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Tuba racism?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Here is a completely unrelated thought I just had.

You know how Robbie Muir was branded Mad Dog for his acts of aggression, violence and thuggery on the field. Just as there was Chris Lewis, who I remember being painted a violent angry player by the Victorian media, (I seem to remember he spat at somebody), yet has been called a lovely sweet man by all who played with and knew him. Both of these players, and probably a few more were mocked, denigrated, and villified for being "savage thugs". Both of these players are aboriginal.

Then you have how the media, and the footy public in general are treating Toby Greene and Tom Lynch etc.. One of which has a conviction for Assault, and the other who has multiple times attacked a helpless opponent on the ground. These players are lauded and commended for playing "tough uncompromising" football, and "taking no prisoners" etc. And if they are criticized, then it is the much gentler "white line fever" that gets applied to them. Both of these players are white.

Ben Long, an aboriginal man from a remote NT town, labelled a reckless thug by the media and banned for "potential injury" from a mild bump was literally a week ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Hey remember when Cyril Rioli got two weeks for "attempting to strike"?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/rioli-guilty-of-attempted-striking-misses-two-games-20100803-115ff.html

It was the same year Chris Judd won a brownlow while literally elbowing Matthew Pavlich in the face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QDjhDefkk0