Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

isaboo posted:

They sort of released a trailer for Evil S2

I haven't seen the last half of S1 but I liked what I saw

Open Source Idiom posted:

Speak of the devil, and it shall appear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtNM05rbCas

Evil Season Two.

Wtf,

That first link to tvline says posted:

Released as part of its New York Comic Con panel on Saturday — before any actual Season 2 footage has been shot — the trailer above finds cast members Katja Herbers, Mike Colter, Aasif Mandvi, Michael Emerson, Christine Lahti and Kurt Fuller acting out moments that may or may not actually be from an upcoming episode, which may or may not revolve around Leland’s marriage to Kristen’s mother, Sheryl.

So yeah, wtf, but now I'm disappointed its maybe not legit spoilers for the new season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Was a bit behind on Lovecraft Country but caught up earlier. This show is wild and I absolutely love it. You never know what each episode is going to be like, it's a fun ride.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

muscles like this! posted:

Claire Saffitz has confirmed that she is not renewing her contract with Conde Nast so that's the end of her time at BA.

I will miss her gourmet attempts at junk food.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Phil Hartman was fantastic but I don’t think he carried NewsRadio; the entire cast was great. It’s more that his death took the wind out of their sails.

Similar to Harry Goz on Sealab.

Also Evil is nuts.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Evil rules. I wish it had the space in season 1 to tell the stories it wanted to tell, i.e. the mom, but it's really really good.

Her husband sucks though.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

Watch The Good Wife then. It's the same creative team.

Oh I'm a long time Good Wife fan. Although in lockdown time, maybe it's due for a rewatch?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

Oh I'm a long time Good Wife fan. Although in lockdown time, maybe it's due for a rewatch?

They also did BrainDead which was great.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Dear Goons:

Will I like Bly Manor if I didn't like Hill House?

I'm not worried about character based material, but I found the character stuff insipid and undramatic in the other season, but I'm hoping it's just the characters.

I prefer Bly to Hill House as the characters are less abrasive/argumentative. The kids are a bit too precocious though.

Same sort of ghostly poo poo tho.

The last episode pivoted from spooky to ‘Why can’t these lesbians be happy, why!? :cry:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Evil spoilers

Oh my god the end of the incel plot line was perfect. Having him go out as a pathetic loser was done just right.

If you haven’t seen it yet I really have to recommend it. That was like the ninth episode and I started watching it this afternoon, if that puts how addictive it is into context.

It was one of the most shocking things I've seen on tv period. That's a network show right?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

If he had bought his book, he would have known

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

It was one of the most shocking things I've seen on tv period. That's a network show right?

Yep, CBS. I was shocked even though I had it spoiled for me, they didn’t cut away at all. Super crazy for network TV.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Welp Brockmire is my fav comedy rn.

Just started S2. Why didnt someone inform this show was this funny.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's really good and it's sad that hank azaria's been spinning his wheels on bad simpsons for so long

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
This is from like a week ago but

pentyne posted:

The biggest joke is that nearly a decade of building up this massive potential franchise [GoT] was all undone in a few episodes so bad that almost everyone wrote the series off as bad and no one is interested in it anymore.

I really don't understand where people get this stuff.

quote:

Game of Thrones ended its record-setting final season with a record-setting finale in the ratings. The HBO megahit drew 13.6 million viewers for its initial airing of the series finale Sunday night. Adding in replays and early streaming, that figure climbs to 19.3 million. Both figures are records not just for Game of Thrones, but for HBO's entire history.

HBO’s Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season topped the NPD VideoScan First Alert chart, which tracks combined DVD and Blu-ray Disc Unit sales, and the dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart the week ended Dec. 7.

Game of Thrones estimated home video sales: Season 8: $47m.

Game of Thrones roared at the Emmys one last time. The HBO fantasy sensation has won the award for Outstanding Drama Series for its eighth and final season.

A new Game of Thrones prequel series has been ordered by HBO, the home of the original fantasy epic. House of the Dragon, which is based on George RR Martin’s novel Fire & Blood, has been ordered as a full series at the network just hours after news broke that HBO decided not to pick up another prequel series starring Naomi Watts.

Game of Thrones ended on a massive ratings high, was then showered by industry praise in the form of Emmys, then proceeded to sell a lot of dvds and blu-rays, and now the studio that made it has fully greenlit a new GoT series. Where is the evidence that "no one is interested in it anymore"? That people online love to complain about it?

This just isn't how any of this works. Star Wars had a widely reviled prequel trilogy that was released over years, and then the next new Star Wars movie became the highest grossing film in U.S. history. A bad finale or bad movie or even bad series is unlikely to destroy any franchise. If anything, the fact that people still can't shut up about the ending is evidence that the standard love-hate relationship that franchises develop with their devotees has been well and truly established, and they'll come back for more pain.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 11, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
But but people on Reddit don't like it!!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pedro De Heredia posted:

This is from like a week ago but

I really don't understand where people get this stuff.

Game of Thrones ended on a massive ratings high, was then showered by industry praise in the form of Emmys, then proceeded to sell a lot of dvds and blu-rays, and now the studio that made it has fully greenlit a new GoT series. Where is the evidence that "no one is interested in it anymore"?

This just isn't how any of this works. Star Wars had a widely reviled prequel trilogy that was released over years, and then the next new Star Wars movie became the highest grossing film in U.S. history. A bad finale or bad movie or even bad series is unlikely to destroy any franchise.

Remember those spinoffs they had that got dragged out back and shot after the finale went over like a fart in a car?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Remember those spinoffs they had that got dragged out back and shot after the finale went over like a fart in a car?

Yes, I remember them. They are mentioned right there in my post that you're quoting. House of the Dragon was given a full series order. Paddy Considine was just announced as one of the cast members on Monday. In Late September, they said it's on track to be released in 2022.

There was a different show, the Naomi Watts one set in the very distant past. They filmed a pilot for that, but HBO were apparently not happy with it, and signed the deal to make this new House of the Dragon series shortly before announcing they wouldn't do the other one.

Basically at no point has HBO stopped developing the franchise.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 11, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I had typed out a list of thoughts on Fargo, but by the end of episode 3 I think I can sum up this season:

Fargo is up its own rear end.

Not one bit of it feels natural.

This show has always been up its own rear end from the first "This is a true story" card which is utter bullshit. I came into episode 3 ready to delete the series off my DVR until

howe_sam posted:

While I agree with this sentiment in general, I would amend the statement with the qualifier that Timothy Olyphant playing a loquacious US Marshal who only hears what he wants feels natural as hell.

The sudden and unexpected appearance of Raylan Givens single-handedly retained my interest.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

This show has always been up it's own rear end from the first "This is a true story" card which is utter bullshit.

That’s there because the movie (also not a true story) had it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Milo and POTUS posted:

If he had bought his book, he would have known

Why did you shoot it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Welp Brockmire is my fav comedy rn.

Just started S2. Why didnt someone inform this show was this funny.

Clearly you haven’t read many of my posts in this thread over the years

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Newsradio has both Joe Rogan and Andy Dick, and despite current knowledge of both, they were really good on the show. Its not as bad as watching like The Cosby Show or something.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

They weren't planning on making six different GoT spinoffs, the process from idea to a full season of tv is long, and most concepts die long before they even shoot a single second of footage.

Nobody in charge cares what a few hundred people on the internet think, they care how costly a spinoff is to shoot, and how likely it is to be successful.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah, "they pitched six spinoff concepts" doesn't translate to "they were going to make six spinoff series." it was pretty obvious from the jump that not all of those were gonna live.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yee, I was always under the impression they pitched so many spinoffs to guarantee at least one of them getting greenlit. We were never going to have more than one or maybe two spinoffs post GoT. Depending on how well the spinoff does will decide if there's more after.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Was watching a Youtube video and it brought up something I hadn't heard of. Apparently some competition shows that have been filming during the pandemic are just cutting to pre-recorded crowd reactions. Which is just kind of weird.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
OK, is Haunting of Bly Manor a re-release or remake of something? I know I've seen that 'american nanny comes to spooky british manor' thing before.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s based on Henry James’ writing, especially The Turn of the Screw

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Was watching a Youtube video and it brought up something I hadn't heard of. Apparently some competition shows that have been filming during the pandemic are just cutting to pre-recorded crowd reactions. Which is just kind of weird.

I think Masked Singer is doing that. Dancing with the Stars has a laugh/clap/boo track, but doesn't show video.

Can you imagine being the producer in charge of that button? What if you just don't get a joke? Or if something was serious and you accidentally press applause?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well they should use old Arsenio Hall audiences

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
omg https://twitter.com/theanimaniacs/status/1315343864798928896

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Needs the jurassic park water cup scene but with fingerprints instead.

This looks amazing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's going to be like At Home with Amy Sedaris

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Paracaidas posted:

Needs the jurassic park water cup scene but with fingerprints instead.

This looks amazing.

oh
my
god

so wait, they're the old episodes but with new animation? am i understanding this correctly?

if so, any chance of new episodes? i highly doubt it, and i'm not even sure i would want them to make new ones, but curious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

It's going to be like At Home with Amy Sedaris

hahaha that’s one of my favourite jokes in that show. I never get sick of that one guy in the middle

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

abelwingnut posted:

oh
my
god

so wait, they're the old episodes but with new animation? am i understanding this correctly?

if so, any chance of new episodes? i highly doubt it, and i'm not even sure i would want them to make new ones, but curious.

full-on new episodes. it's a reboot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

esperterra posted:

Yee, I was always under the impression they pitched so many spinoffs to guarantee at least one of them getting greenlit. We were never going to have more than one or maybe two spinoffs post GoT. Depending on how well the spinoff does will decide if there's more after.

There's at least one interview where some hbo suit said they wanted GoT to be a franchise on the level of Trek and Wars with multiple shows and films.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Did the original show do a riff on that scene as well? I tried to look it up but "jurassic park Animaniacs" is flooded with the new one.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Clearly you haven’t read many of my posts in this thread over the years

Clearly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

That’s there because the movie (also not a true story) had it.

I know. It's still trying too hard, though.