Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tias posted:

Can someone with Android Tiers experience explain to me the basics of operating the Skymind network?

Specifically:

Will all my androids be lost to hacking if I don't build security?

Can I gain new android colonists permanently by hacking them? If so, does this aggro their faction?

What's with the servers and temperature? I've built a loving freezer for a server room, and at 2 degrees C they still flag 'slightly overheating' - and that's just the first tier servers :confused:

Hacking is, as far as I can tell, essentially an event that can happen if you have things connected to the skymind network. Thusfar I have only had events like a connected object being disabled temporarily, or connected colonist skills be reduced unless you pay a ransom (they don't always remove the ransomware and you can always put the skills back up manually with a skill server)

I don't know if there are more severe events but that's what I've had with security available so perhaps if you don't build security servers you might have worse outcomes.

I'm not sure if there is a permanent hacking option through servers, but you can try to manually reprogram simple androids you capture (capturing friendlies will anger their faction as normal) and it stands a good chance of scrambling their brains so normal recruitment is generally a good idea unless you have lots of them. I am not sure if you can connect prisoners to the network and download into their brains but I think, vaguely, that they need to be colonists to connect to the network.

First tier servers are actually the hardest to keep happy, they need to be essentially frozen to be happy, higher tier servers can operate at higher temperatures but are slightly less rare material efficient for the results. If you're strapped for gold you might want lovely servers, otherwise build high tier ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Hacking lets you take over surrogates either temporarily for cheaper, or permanently as a more expensive thing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

4 thrumbos entered my map and I just had a psycaster skip them all into a little group in order to cast Berserk Pulse on them. The survivors were so badly hurt that it only required 1 person with an assault rifle to finish them off

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Anticheese posted:

Hacking lets you take over surrogates either temporarily for cheaper, or permanently as a more expensive thing.

What's a surrogate?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Type of android without a brain that runs on remote control

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks everyone! So far so good, but the mod in general has a steep learning curve. Isn't there documentation anywhere?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you want to feed your animals on nutrient paste, do you have to do the elaborate micromanaged hack to have one hungry pawn operate the machine over and over and over again? Is there a simpler mod?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Tias posted:

Thanks everyone! So far so good, but the mod in general has a steep learning curve. Isn't there documentation anywhere?

There is a bad and incomplete wiki for Android tiers

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Unreliable documentation! Hook it straight into my veins!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Necromancer pawns from A Rimworld of Magic are pretty drat broken. They can raise an infinite amount of undead, only being limited by the cost of the spell. Even better, the undead never tire and never have to take breaks for anything but hygiene. Sure they can’t gain skills, but they do all jobs with the proficiency they had in life.

Though they do have a habit of taking 200+ rhino meat and applying all of it to a single Simple Meal.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
IIRC every undead applies a permanent mana drain as long as it is active, so after you raise several of them the drain will become bigger than the innate mana regeneration and they will die once the Necromancer runs out of mana. Necromancers are still broken as hell though, because the undead pawns are superior to live ones in almost every way while being completely expendable and with a high level Necromancer you can easily maintain like 8-10 of them without any real downside.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What's you folks' favorite room size in a mountain base?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Building along the edges and letting them make irregular rooms, though with 2 tiles of stone left for aesthetics and temperature control.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What's you folks' favorite room size in a mountain base?
12x12 because hubris is my sin.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I typically make 8x8 rooms inside mountains, sometimes 8x12 or 8x16 or something if I need to get a Big Room. Storage areas are 7x15 for perfect trade beacon coverage. Bedrooms are usually 4x5, and some other rooms get their own sizes (the kitchen usually ends up being like, 5x6 or 7x6 for example).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
7x7 because even numbered rooms will have the door ruin the symmetry and drive me up the wall. Rooms get bigger as needed, but always with an odd number of squares

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you want to feed your animals on nutrient paste, do you have to do the elaborate micromanaged hack to have one hungry pawn operate the machine over and over and over again? Is there a simpler mod?

Either vanilla way of draft/forbid/undraft/repeat, or there are mods that either:
1) Allow you to make nutrient paste meals at crafting stations... normal cooking stations and I think the biofuel refinery.
2) Add a button to the dispenser that allows 1x or 5x meals to be spit out at once by the player for 15W power per meal per click.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DoubleNegative posted:

Necromancer pawns from A Rimworld of Magic are pretty drat broken. They can raise an infinite amount of undead, only being limited by the cost of the spell. Even better, the undead never tire and never have to take breaks for anything but hygiene. Sure they can’t gain skills, but they do all jobs with the proficiency they had in life.

Though they do have a habit of taking 200+ rhino meat and applying all of it to a single Simple Meal.

oh so you can be that one guy from What We Do in the Shadows who uses zombies as novelty license plate sweatshop labor

this loving game

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Unfortunately, yes. I've asked on the Ludeon forums for someone to make a "animals can operate nutrient paste dispenser" mod for a couple years and so far no takers

There are a few mods that let you make nutrient paste in bulk at crafting stations, but that's not quite what's important.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And another small fortress gone! Cause of death: Caribou revenge.

Well, actually starvation. Trying to hunt caribou with a pistol and a rifle was a desperation move.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

HelloSailorSign posted:

2) Add a button to the dispenser that allows 1x or 5x meals to be spit out at once by the player for 15W power per meal per click.
What mod is this?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is there a mod that makes everyone bisexual? I know I can use Prepare Carefully and make my initial colonists bisexual, but I want everyone.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The vanilla scenario editor will allow you to force traits for everyone.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nutrient Paste Production mod lets you cook paste at the regular kitchen like any other meals

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Tias posted:

Hopefully these help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQxY9yLESzg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYXhEiqgWB0

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks a lot <3

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

What mod is this?

Used to be Smarter Food Selection, which was an excellent mod. I went digging again, found that mod has been abandoned and nothing else does the same thing.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

PMush Perfect posted:

Is there a mod that makes everyone bisexual? I know I can use Prepare Carefully and make my initial colonists bisexual, but I want everyone.

You can use Psychology and in the mod settings, set the Kinsey scale to "centered". It won't make everyone bi, but the vast majority of people will be. As a bonus, it doesn't use a trait slot.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Guildencrantz posted:

You can use Psychology and in the mod settings, set the Kinsey scale to "centered". It won't make everyone bi, but the vast majority of people will be. As a bonus, it doesn't use a trait slot.

trait slots don't matter anymore, they're now like...trait clouds and scenario traits do not count toward the generation of flavor traits.

so if the goal is to make everyone bi, just have a 100% chance for all pawns to have the bisexual trait in the scenario editor. it's pretty much exactly what it was made for.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Coolguye posted:

trait slots don't matter anymore, they're now like...trait clouds and scenario traits do not count toward the generation of flavor traits.

so if the goal is to make everyone bi, just have a 100% chance for all pawns to have the bisexual trait in the scenario editor. it's pretty much exactly what it was made for.

Huh, shows I was away from the game for a while, I thought there was a hard limit of three traits.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
PrepareCarefully will try to yell at you if you add more than 3 traits to a colonist, but will let you do it regardless. Something about it "not being able to display everything correctly."

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Today I learned a thrumbo can remove both of a colonists eyes in a single attack.

Also I learned that one of my pawns is a body purist.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
other pawns eyes are fine to the body purist, just not cyber ones

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Today I learned a thrumbo can remove both of a colonists eyes in a single attack.

Also I learned that one of my pawns is a body purist.
These sound related.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Yeah just wait for Randy to deliver some convenient spares for you, problem solved.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Is this EPOE? Eye transplants aren't vanilla

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Jesus, I had just fended off a siege and was still treating the wounded when Randy followed up with a drop pod raid into the hospital. :gonk:

Good thing it was a small one and I had two only lightly wounded brawlers standing right there. The bastards still got to shoot up my patients a bit, but luckily nobody died.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Decided to try getting into this game again. Been out of the loop for a while, what are the current 'essential' mods to pick up, and also what other notable fun ones are there?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
When you get a refugee quest, the game says that nobody gives two shits about what happens to them. It seems that is quite accurate. Some imperial dude had apparently heard I was harboring some dirty refugees and for whatever reason wanted them offed for a nice reward. Coincidentally, there was a heatwave going on so I stuffed the unwashed ones into an oven a marvelous guest room with possibly non-functional a/c and locked the door. After they had accindentally and slowly cooked alive, I made some sweet human skin dusters out of them and fed the rest to the chickens.

I scrolled through the colonists afterwards and not a single negative mood effect :dance:

As an afterthought, that was a pile of perfectly good lungs and hearts I tossed away. I need to refine this process before the next patch arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Inadequately posted:

Decided to try getting into this game again. Been out of the loop for a while, what are the current 'essential' mods to pick up, and also what other notable fun ones are there?

Depends wildly on what game you want to play.

Current popular complex mod is SOS2 which allows you to build a spaceship and fly it around as a mobile colony blowing up other spaceships.