Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Meanwhile I’m paying AU$105 a month for 100/40, which was the highest speed until recently. Now for the moderate sum of $150 a month I can get 1000/50.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Meanwhile I’m paying AU$105 a month for 100/40, which was the highest speed until recently.

I'm paying a little less than that for 100/?? and phone. Honestly can't remember.

Been working on replacing the timing chain tensioner shoe and anti rattle block on the Niva in small increments when I get the chance. I believe at least half of the anti rattle block including the metal backing is in the sump. I figured removing the sumpd and cleaning it out would be the way to go. Glad I didn't start on that. Looked at the manual. The oil pump is in the sump. The only way to take the sump off is to either remove the engine or remove the front diff and a bunch of other stuff. An oil change and a magnet on the sump is looking good about now.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Internet status: I installed an OPNsense VM and rebuilt my network to send everything through it and now I can VPN into my home from anywhere! Eeeexcept my server only has a single gigabit NIC so because it has to route between VLANs I can only get 500 Mbps down right now :(

I guess I need a switch with a few 10GbE ports!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Krakkles posted:

What?

I don’t think I even understand that straw man. I don’t think I’ve ever been “ooorah America”. I do own guns but I don’t think its part of my personality.

Yeah it’s always a shock to ppl that I own a bunch of guns. I literally never talk about it to anyone. I guess they expect all of us to be obnoxious smh.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yeah it’s always a shock to ppl that I own a bunch of guns. I literally never talk about it to anyone. I guess they expect all of us to be obnoxious smh.

Same. I also own a bunch of guns and never talk about them. Some of them I’ve acquired as trade on cars I’ve flipped. It’s not that uncommon in Missouri, guns are like currency in certain circles round here.

On the tonsils front; I just ate some nachos no problem. I really expected to be in a lot more pain than this. One of the nurses told me two days before the procedure that they regularly have patients call up post surgery thinking something is wrong due to unbearable pain. I’m just mildly uncomfortable. I even went two hours past time for pain meds and was feeling ok.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
People are either surprised I own guns or surprised at my politics depending on which they learn about first.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have guns too and would like some more :)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Guns are cool and good and I need to get my license :canada:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Guns are cool and good and I need to get my license :canada:
I believe I’m supposed to laugh at the idea of needing a license

... but that actually makes a ton of sense, my state already does it, and I would vote for it federally

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Krakkles posted:

... but that actually makes a ton of sense, my state already does it, and I would vote for it federally

The annoying part of the license system is if you want to own handguns you need a license that takes an extra course (good), a lot more background checks (good) and a shitload of government scrutiny and processing time (not good).

Also they like to just flat out ban poo poo for lookin' scary, so, AR-15s are ten-years-in-prison illegal. But AR-18s aren't, so... :provo:

I'm probably going to get my non-restricted license (most rifles and shotguns) instead of the restricted (handguns and short-barreled rifles) one. I just want to go to the range with cheap ammo and put holes in paper; if things go so sideways that I need them for anything more than that then chances are we're being invaded by the US or something.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Krakkles posted:

It doesn’t quite mix well with pandemic unfortunately:/

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Krakkles posted:

Most states: Can't go fishing without a license! But go ahead and have a gun, see ya later!

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Kazinsal posted:

The annoying part of the license system is if you want to own handguns you need a license that takes an extra course (good), a lot more background checks (good) and a shitload of government scrutiny and processing time (not good).

Also they like to just flat out ban poo poo for lookin' scary, so, AR-15s are ten-years-in-prison illegal. But AR-18s aren't, so... :provo:

I'm probably going to get my non-restricted license (most rifles and shotguns) instead of the restricted (handguns and short-barreled rifles) one. I just want to go to the range with cheap ammo and put holes in paper; if things go so sideways that I need them for anything more than that then chances are we're being invaded by the US or something.

Get both, its easier to just do them both at once, and you never know when you will want to branch out.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TheBacon posted:

It doesn’t quite mix well with pandemic unfortunately:/
Licensure requirements for firearms don’t mix well with a viral pandemic?

What are you going to do, shoot the virus?

Ether Frenzy posted:

Most states: Can't go fishing without a license! But go ahead and have a gun, see ya later!
Yeah, that’s one of many things I like about CA.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I own a ton of guns and I talk about them constantly.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Just went to a large IRL AA meeting.

Not a lot of social distancing which is bad but honestly I needed to see people irl. I feel like I got a lot out that.

The first 12 step meeting I ever went to I tried to play it off like I was there for some grad school thing and not because I had a problem. Some guy in the back was like "gently caress you rear end in a top hat you're drunk" and he was right.

Saw him for the first time in 5 years at the meeting tonight. Dude just bought an e92 M3.

We were laughing so hard we were screaming.

Great time.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Wrar posted:

I hate waiting for parts.
Do not, under any circumstances get into custom mechanical keyboards.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Just went to a large IRL AA meeting.

Not a lot of social distancing which is bad but honestly I needed to see people irl. I feel like I got a lot out that.

The first 12 step meeting I ever went to I tried to play it off like I was there for some grad school thing and not because I had a problem. Some guy in the back was like "gently caress you rear end in a top hat you're drunk" and he was right.

Saw him for the first time in 5 years at the meeting tonight. Dude just bought an e92 M3.

We were laughing so hard we were screaming.

Great time.

Keep coming back. It works if you work it.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, that’s one of many things I like about CA.

No, not really! This is not in anyway a knock on requirements or a complaint about them existing. It’s just another facet that is complicated and was delayed for a long time due to pandemic, sucks having to go take a proctored exam for my FSC in a pandemic, especially so while places that administered them were closed for months!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Krakkles posted:

I presume he was talking about Canada?
You need to take a test which is normally part of an in-person course. Suffice to say most providers of said courses are not exactly technically savvy (and there is some hands-on) so it's not a great time.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

trouser chili posted:

Same. I also own a bunch of guns and never talk about them.

Literally no one other than the gun club I stored them at knew I had guns until well after I sold them. I'd disappear for a couple of hours, shoot targets, put en back into storage and never say poo poo.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

slidebite posted:

I presume he was talking about Canada?
You need to take a test which is normally part of an in-person course. Suffice to say most providers of said courses are not exactly technically savvy (and there is some hands-on) so it's not a great time.

I was talking about the US!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TheBacon posted:

No, not really! This is not in anyway a knock on requirements or a complaint about them existing. It’s just another facet that is complicated and was delayed for a long time due to pandemic, sucks having to go take a proctored exam for my FSC in a pandemic, especially so while places that administered them were closed for months!
Yes, pandemics are inconvenient. What does this have to do with whether or not requiring licenses for guns is a good idea?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Krakkles posted:

CA doesn't require a license to own guns unless you're referring to the Firearm Safety Certificate needed for purchasing, which is essentially 30 bullshit questions along the lines of

code:
Is it legal to carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle and fire it out the window if u are in a bad mood?
[ ] Yes
[ ] No
[ ] bazookas can be legally used for hunting small game

code:
If sharing a residence with children under the age of 18, you must store your firearm:
[ ] In a safe or otherwise locked and secured
[ ] Loaded, in the refrigerator 
[ ] on the coffee table with the TV remotes

It's not a license because you could completely legally own a gun your father gifted to you, or that you bought before the FSC requirements were law, or a bunch of other reasons. CA is a labyrinth of absolutely baffling firearms laws on the deeper levels but the gatekeeper test is hilariously inept. I say this as a strong proponent of owning paper-punchers.

anyway sorry, AI pic tax for talking about boring poo poo because I've been revisiting old fantasies about buying a chevy nova

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Krakkles posted:

Yes, pandemics are inconvenient. What does this have to do with whether or not requiring licenses for guns is a good idea?

I never said they weren’t? But also the thing itself is kind of a joke tbh.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Darchangel posted:

Check the Ali Express thread. They've been great about recommending adapters and such.
Thanks. I found several things I didn't know I needed but really wanted by this thread too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

meatpimp posted:

Edit: I've been into cars for over 40 years. Time to look to something different. There is a revolution just starting to peek it's head up and I'm all about it. Electric vehicles are superior to ICE vehicles. AI or not. Here's a thought:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90562654/car-design-is-about-to-change-forever-this-video-encapsulates-how

Yes there's a potential for a revolution and I'm trying to keep an open mind about the ways that future will look, things like this are interesting and I welcome the return of the custom coach-built vehicle.
But in-wheel motors are not a great idea in the real world, too much vibration and impact. Put some fat tyres between them and the road maybe.
I think large scale 3d printing and other additive manufacturing will dovetail neatly with tech like this too.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Maybe I spoke too soon about pain. Ooof, this morning was rough. Also despite "laying down" almost vertical with pillows wedged under me, it appears I had a lot of drainage into my lungs last night. Coughing is quite unpleasant, but my chest rattles so hard I have cough it out.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

meatpimp posted:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90562654/car-design-is-about-to-change-forever-this-video-encapsulates-how

I find myself stuck between wanting what exists, and longing for what is coming. I really liked the Camaro SS convertible that I Turo'd in Hawaii. But as I think about actually buying one, I see the long-term prospects troubling. A Model 3 would be as-fast, or faster. Plus it would have more space and be so much more cost-friendly in the long term (providing Tesla gets their poo poo together, but even if they don't, another company will), and is going to be obsolete in our lifetime.
Cool article. I for one really like electric vehicles, especially for commuting and running errands. I bought the goofy i3 ReX in February and am now up to around 2k miles, I filled it up once in February and once last month...783mpg between fill-ups on 2 gallons of gas and a lot of electricity. I'll always have old, fun ICE cars for the track and weekends but it sure is nice just plugging in when you get home and not worrying about it.

EVSR (https://www.facebook.com/ElectrifyingRacing) has converted what looks like a spec racer ford/renault to electric drive and it looks really well done. I'm going to see if they ever come to south east races and see if I can rent a seat for a weekend. I've done the math for battery capacity/weight/price to have equal performance in a formula ford and it really isn't that bad...especially if I get the cells in bulk overseas or buy used. A couple hot-swap packs and you're set. I guess downside is bringing a larger generator to the track and one gas can instead of small generator and four or more gas cans.

trouser chili posted:

Same. I also own a bunch of guns and never talk about them. Some of them I’ve acquired as trade on cars I’ve flipped. It’s not that uncommon in Missouri, guns are like currency in certain circles round here.
This is very true in TN, I'd guess half the trade offers I get when selling stuff is firearms.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someone offered me "bang bangs" for the ms6 when I was selling it and I was confused for a few minutes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just say I accept things we'll need to transfer legally at an FFL because Craigslist and marketplace haven't twigged to those as gun keywords yet.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

meatpimp posted:

I had a bat show up in my last house two times. They are loving creepy because they are silent. Like... eerily silent.

There's a very narrow window of people that aren't a piece of poo poo in that show.

Edit: I've been into cars for over 40 years. Time to look to something different. There is a revolution just starting to peek it's head up and I'm all about it. Electric vehicles are superior to ICE vehicles. AI or not. Here's a thought:

Edit2: Yeah, I've been drinking, but seriously... that is the distillation of a car. You don't need steering linkage, or power steering, or cooling anywhere near an ICE scale, or anything more than rudimentary brakes (assuming that regen braking can be developed properly). That structure is what a car is. A chassis, a means of propulsion, and fuel. Everything else is comfort.

I find myself stuck between wanting what exists, and longing for what is coming. I really liked the Camaro SS convertible that I Turo'd in Hawaii. But as I think about actually buying one, I see the long-term prospects troubling. A Model 3 would be as-fast, or faster. Plus it would have more space and be so much more cost-friendly in the long term (providing Tesla gets their poo poo together, but even if they don't, another company will), and is going to be obsolete in our lifetime.

Everything is fucky right now, but god drat, there's promise on the horizon that we shouldn't lose track of.

A Model 3 would be cool... if it were made by a company that is likely to exist and provide parts support 10 or 15 years down the road when it starts needing major work.

Tesla as a company is destined to fail, hopefully they exist long enough to drag the major automakers into deciding that electric vehicles should be mainstream... and our entire power infrastructure changes to allow for it.

Krakkles posted:

Only if it's free, shall-issue, and doesn't include the ability for the police to swing by and 'inspect your storage' at their leisure. I distinctly remember what a good ol' boys clusterfuck may-issue carry permits were here, and giving police a pass on probable cause to enter and 'coincidentally' find a reason to search someone's house for drugs is never, ever a good thing.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 11, 2020

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I’ve had the cops do a firearms inspection on my place and it was a totally painless experience. They just wanted to know that my firearms are in a safe, not just laying around, that the keys aren’t kept in plain sight and no one else knows where they are and that your stuff is actually stored properly.

Guy spent more time talking bout hunting and what I had than actually doing the inspection. Tho these are Australian cops, so your mileage may vary in places where your police force is less..... professional...

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ferremit posted:

I’ve had the cops do a firearms inspection on my place and it was a totally painless experience. They just wanted to know that my firearms are in a safe, not just laying around, that the keys aren’t kept in plain sight and no one else knows where they are and that your stuff is actually stored properly.

Guy spent more time talking bout hunting and what I had than actually doing the inspection. Tho these are Australian cops, so your mileage may vary in places where your police force is less..... professional...

I literally can not imagine or really wrap my brain around this

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

No point shooting a charging koala you will just make it made. So fire arms are just for hobbies so store them safely since they are non use for self defense.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BigPaddy posted:

No point shooting a charging koala you will just make it made. So fire arms are just for hobbies so store them safely since they are non use for self defense.

On a contrary note, and considering that I had a shotgun before I was 10 years old, I am extremely :rolleyes: at the US and guns for "protection." It's fear, pure and simple. So much of the US gun culture is based on fear of some bad guy coming to take your stuffs, I'm tired of it and it's embarrassing. Is there a chance? Yes, more here than anywhere, because people are crazy with guns, but still, the overwhelming majority of the US citizenry is not living in an area where firearms for protection will EVER come into play.

Edit: I'm sure I've said it before, but shooting guns is damned fun. Skeet is fun. Shooting handguns is fun. The big fire plume from a long barrel .357 magnum gives an immense feeling of power. But having them solely for "protection" is sad.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 11, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
An equal amount of dipshits are obsessed with the hero fantasy. They honestly think they will save the day if poo poo goes down.

We have a fuckstick that open carries at cars and coffee and he is very confrontational. He heard someone making Mustang Driver jokes so he confronted the dude and when the joke maker refused to back down our resident fuckstick rested his hand on his gun. The entire mood changed immediately.

I HATE guys that open carry.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

An equal amount of dipshits are obsessed with the hero fantasy. They honestly think they will save the day if poo poo goes down.

We have a fuckstick that open carries at cars and coffee and he is very confrontational. He heard someone making Mustang Driver jokes so he confronted the dude and when the joke maker refused to back down our resident fuckstick rested his hand on his gun. The entire mood changed immediately.

That moment that you realize that most of the US motifs of "valor" are murder fantasies.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

meatpimp posted:

On a contrary note, and considering that I had a shotgun before I was 10 years old, I am extremely :rolleyes: at the US and guns for "protection." It's fear, pure and simple. So much of the US gun culture is based on fear of some bad guy coming to take your stuffs, I'm tired of it and it's embarrassing. Is there a chance? Yes, more here than anywhere, because people are crazy with guns, but still, the overwhelming majority of the US citizenry is not living in an area where firearms for protection will EVER come into play.

Exactly. The most gun-crazy friends I know are extremely afraid, all the time. I tried to have the conversation once about how they're far more likely to shoot each other than a crook, I've tried to point out that they've never in their entire lives even come close to having someone break in while they're home, etc etc. All it did was make them mad and label me someone who brings up politics too much. They sleep with their guns ("won't be much use if it isn't loaded") and review the footage from their security cameras as part of their daily routine. The closest thing they've found to an aggressor is a dude climbed in their hot tub a couple times in the middle of the night, so they started using the locks. Mostly they'd show me how they caught a fox or skunk or racoon on video. They have a strict call and answer policy of shouting out each others names whenever they enter the house, but I still worry occasionally that they'll become a statistic.

In personal news, the rainy season has begun in Oregon. It will be mostly gray and wet between now and May. My friends are concerned that after living in Denver for 21 years I'll get SAD. On the contrary, it's peaceful and calming to me. I love it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

That is “brandishing” or very well could be in court I’d ban him

I love guns and have lots of guns and never talk about it as well. But when some chucklefuck is open carrying and you know he is just a big dipshit trying to show off it ruins the mood. PLENTY of people carry here that need it or have to ha e it as part of their job in normal clothes or are very discreet about it if it’s open carry like you’d just think they had a big otter box on. The guy with the giant revolver is just a tiny dick loudmouth EVERY TIME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

LloydDobler posted:

Exactly. The most gun-crazy friends I know are extremely afraid, all the time. I tried to have the conversation once about how they're far more likely to shoot each other than a crook, I've tried to point out that they've never in their entire lives even come close to having someone break in while they're home, etc etc. All it did was make them mad and label me someone who brings up politics too much. They sleep with their guns ("won't be much use if it isn't loaded") and review the footage from their security cameras as part of their daily routine. The closest thing they've found to an aggressor is a dude climbed in their hot tub a couple times in the middle of the night, so they started using the locks. Mostly they'd show me how they caught a fox or skunk or racoon on video. They have a strict call and answer policy of shouting out each others names whenever they enter the house, but I still worry occasionally that they'll become a statistic.

I'm only worried about someone breaking in my house and stealing my guns. Which is something that most of these people don't seem to care about as most of them do not even buy a proper gun safe.