Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Renegret posted:

I went through half a jumbo bag of garlic in a single meal.

My entire family has unbearable gas today.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Hair of the dog. Never stop eating garlic

Renegret posted:

There were no regrets, and if I made more we would've eaten more.
:haibrow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Renegret posted:

I went through half a jumbo bag of garlic in a single meal.

My entire family has unbearable gas today.

What did you make and why didn't you use the full bag?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I made Costco filet mignon for my wife's birthday and enough garlic so that every bite of steak could have a bite of garlic to go with it.

I had 4 heads peeled and thrown in the cast iron with the steak and butter that got crispy and delicious. 4 more heads I just cut the tops off, wrapped in foil with salt and olive oil, and roasted at 400 for an hour. It becomes soft and spreadable like butter.

I only stopped because I got sick of peeling garlic

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

shadow puppet of a posted:

You guys do a great job of spotlighting the laborious chore that is coffee.

Just give in and become morning cola people. Throw away your dignity. Save lots of time.

Instant coffee in a gallon jug.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Accretionist posted:

Instant coffee in a gallon jug.

Look who's too good to just eat the crystals with a spoon.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Renegret posted:

I made Costco filet mignon for my wife's birthday and enough garlic so that every bite of steak could have a bite of garlic to go with it.

I had 4 heads peeled and thrown in the cast iron with the steak and butter that got crispy and delicious. 4 more heads I just cut the tops off, wrapped in foil with salt and olive oil, and roasted at 400 for an hour. It becomes soft and spreadable like butter.

I only stopped because I got sick of peeling garlic

I think some costcos may have pre-peeled garlic, I know you can get it at a normal grocery store. It's a little more expensive than normal stuff (and you have to refrigerate it) but not drastically so.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

GORDON posted:

Wait, they're talking about cutting? I thought the discussion was being next in line, and not waiting for the slow person directly in front of you, and using the middle lane to get to the open pump in front. This often means the slow person in the back pump now has to use the middle lane to go around you, but so what?

I don't think that's proper-line cutting. It's just keeping the line moving in spite of a slow person in the rear pump position.

This is a another scenario, one that's different from the scenario I was asking about earlier, which was indeed discussing moving into pump #2 when it's empty.

Pump 1 is empty.
Ideally, the person who is next in line should take the blue route. Instead, they just sit there. Waiting for the person at pump 2 to finish so they can go to pump 1 and I can go to pump 2.

Some goons have said they give them a little bit of time, then take the green route to bypass the person ahead of them. Could this be considered cutting in line? I don't think so, but some goons have mentioned that the person ahead of them then got really mad and complained to the attendant, who just shrugged at them. I'm just saying in this scenario, I just wait it out as a potential confrontation with someone who doesn't wear a mask is something I want to avoid with covid going around.

And I also was saying maybe people wait for pump number two to open, because last time I got gas, the idiot who pulled into the pump ahead of me parked across the middle lane, blocking me from leaving.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 11, 2020

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, I see. I hate when people are too timid the make a move like that. The person ahead of you should have passed, though I can see how it could start an argument even though they lost zero time by you passing, and keeping things moving.

But as i saw a fist right in a double mcdonald's drive through over a line cutter last week, I would probably not provoke a gun slinging american.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

These:

...are crack. Holy poo poo they are good. I’m really upset I brought these into the house without buying two more jars

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think some costcos may have pre-peeled garlic, I know you can get it at a normal grocery store. It's a little more expensive than normal stuff (and you have to refrigerate it) but not drastically so.

I was always under the impression that peeled garlic was inferior and lost some potency and flavor so I never bothered.

If not... Then having to peel the garlic keeps my hubris in check.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

strangehamster posted:

I believe all open pumps should be used at all times, don’t wait for anyone or anything.

extremely this gently caress anyone who waits to pull through

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Renegret posted:

I was always under the impression that peeled garlic was inferior and lost some potency and flavor so I never bothered.

It doesn’t have quite the same punch as fresh (nothing does), but it’s still very good.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I'm the guy who will wait for both pumps to open and then pull up to the front pump. Or if I'm at the back pump then I'll wait for the guy in front of me to leave rather than go around him. The gas station at my Costco is so busy all the time that I don't like going around someone to get to the empty pump, because then when the person behind you is done they go around you and and I always feel like it's a fender bender waiting to happen. I'm never going to be a jerk and block the middle lane so others can't get through, but I assume that's why people do that, and also why they might put cones in there.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Renegret posted:

It does lose a little bit but the bigger problem is the pre-peeled garlic industry (i.e. christopher ranch and like in particular are gross fronts) basically use chinese prison labor rubbing their fingers down to the bone until they bleed peeling garlic for like 3 cents an hour. its a time-consuming process so thats why prison labor is used and then exported. even ones like "grown in california" on the label don't mean anything since the whole labelling system is a sham. If you have Netflix, Rotten series has a good episode on this as well.

what I would suggest is using a chef knife laying it flat and "mashing" garlic cloves by slamming down on it which breaks it up and makes it very easy to peel, from where you can either mince, chop, or just use it like that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Renegret posted:

yeah it’s not quite as good as fresh but it’s still way better than minced in a jar or whatever

also, with fresh, if you don’t care about nice neat cloves, slice the head in half and break it apart, then just smash the cloves with the flat of a chef knife and just pick them out of the skin, much faster than neatly peeling them one by one

edit:

Xaris posted:

It does lose a little bit but the bigger problem is the pre-peeled garlic industry (i.e. christopher ranch and like in particular are gross fronts) basically use chinese prison labor rubbing their fingers down to the bone until they bleed peeling garlic for like 3 cents an hour. its a time-consuming process so thats why prison labor is used and then exported. even ones like "grown in california" on the label don't mean anything since the whole labelling system is a sham. If you have Netflix, Rotten series has a good episode on this as well.

oh didn’t know this, that sucks

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

IllegallySober posted:

These:

...are crack. Holy poo poo they are good. I’m really upset I brought these into the house without buying two more jars

I made the mistake of bringing those to work once. Even people who didn't like sweets made multiple visits. But I also know I can't bring those into my house, because those will probably kill me.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Xaris posted:

what I would suggest is using a chef knife laying it flat and "mashing" garlic cloves by slamming down on it which breaks it up and makes it very easy to peel, from where you can either mince, chop, or just use it like that.

Oh drat, I had no idea about that! That sucks big time, I’ve used Christopher Ranch a lot professionally and I’ve always found it to be really nice quality. I’ll have to check the source on the stuff I use now at my current restaurant. Isn’t Costco currently in the process of divesting from slave/prison labor though? Last I checked the “our mission/ethics” page of their website they were talking about it; obviously it will take some time to go down every single supply chain for every single vendor, but my impression was that it’s a priority for them.

Also re: those dark chocolate sea salt caramels, I’m the same way. I bought a tub like two weeks ago and was never able to eat fewer than six in a sitting, so they were gone a week after I bought them and I want more but I cannot allow myself to buy them for another month. It’s stupid how much I love them, my husband ate like 5 total and I just DEMOLISHED the rest.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Oh drat, I had no idea about that! That sucks big time, I’ve used Christopher Ranch a lot professionally and I’ve always found it to be really nice quality. I’ll have to check the source on the stuff I use now at my current restaurant. Isn’t Costco currently in the process of divesting from slave/prison labor though? Last I checked the “our mission/ethics” page of their website they were talking about it; obviously it will take some time to go down every single supply chain for every single vendor, but my impression was that it’s a priority for them.

Also re: those dark chocolate sea salt caramels, I’m the same way. I bought a tub like two weeks ago and was never able to eat fewer than six in a sitting, so they were gone a week after I bought them and I want more but I cannot allow myself to buy them for another month. It’s stupid how much I love them, my husband ate like 5 total and I just DEMOLISHED the rest.
I don't actually know what Costco carries, the one they sell might be fine? Christopher Ranch is a very big conglomerate and works with Harmoni/Golden Lion and other importers a lot, but also may sell stuff that isn't? There;'s also a whole lot of weird infighting all around in the industry of domestic and foreign imports and a big cloud of secrecy, fake-fronts and looping shells, almost no regulation (or toothless), and trying to up their profits any way possible. But if it's too cheap to be true, I wouldn't trust it all. Like I said, perfectly peeling garlic by hand is stupidly laborious, can't be automated, really can't be done wearing gloves and miserable work to do day in and day out, and there's pretty much no way a giant 1lb jar of it for <$5 isn't coming from prison labor wearing their nails down to the nub. But probably a 8oz jar for $10 isn't.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 12, 2020

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm honestly shocked there's no garlic peeling machine that just automates the whole thing.

I'm not shocked, however, that the garlic peeling industry is an abomination of human rights, because people suck.

In my particular case, I wanted whole, undamaged cloves. I'm aware of crushing them with a knife but I didn't want them broken. So I ended up cutting the top and bottom off the entire head, then putting everything in two metal bowls and shaking it up good. I don't normally do this because it's stresses out the garlic and makes them super gross and miserable to work with, but it'll get the peels off about half of them, and makes the rest slip right out.

It sucks more that way but it's a bit faster.

... My normal garlic peeling method is just to ask wife to do it since I do everything else, but my hands were tied since it was her birthday dinner.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Xaris posted:

I don't actually know what Costco carries, the one they sell might be fine? Christopher Ranch is a very big conglomerate and works with Harmoni/Golden Lion and other importers a lot, but also may sell stuff that isn't? There;'s also a whole lot of weird infighting all around in the industry of domestic and foreign imports and a big cloud of secrecy, fake-fronts and looping shells, almost no regulation (or toothless), and trying to up their profits any way possible. But if it's too cheap to be true, I wouldn't trust it all. Like I said, perfectly peeling garlic by hand is stupidly laborious, can't be automated, really can't be done wearing gloves and miserable work to do day in and day out, and there's pretty much no way a giant 1lb jar of it for <$5 isn't coming from prison labor wearing their nails down to the nub. But probably a 8oz jar for $10 isn't.

I’ve definitely seen Christopher Ranch at Costco. I’ve gotten Pearl River before at various restaurants and those are suspiciously clean and shiny, so there’s clearly a chemical component to that peeling process.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

You people are cutthroat over saving a few bucks on gas.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
dont cut the line at the gas pumps u idiots. oh no i gotta wait 30 more seconds.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Minto Took posted:

You people are cutthroat over saving a few bucks on gas.

Costco gas was $2.8 compared to $3.75 at local gas stations here (shell, arco, chevron). that's probably the biggest difference I've ever seen and that's a big saving for a tank of gas.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Yeah, it's a dollar different here ($2.809 vs. $3.809 for 93 octane) and I'll spend a bit more not to get shanked over slightly inconveniencing someone.

87 is a quarter different here and people fight over it. poo poo's scary.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I mean, if someone is one of those people who complains about gas prices but they get sub 15 mpg, loving lmao.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Or people are just super belligerent around where I live which is entirely plausible.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Seems like some people in this thread don't understand 'getting fuel as Costco designed' vs. 'cutting'.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

When I’m “Gettinng Fuel As Costco Intended” I order the whole pizza and eat a hot dog while I wait.

When I’m “Cutting” I skip the dog

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
If people aren't pulling forwards it is your moral responsibility to pull through

Our Costco has signs urging people to take the front pumps... It's already chaos enough in the carpark at Costco without having people needlessly wiaiting for the 15 empty pumps.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Strike First
Strike Hard
No Refunds

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm not cutting, I'm showing the people the proper way to utilize the Costco Gas Pumps for maximum efficiency. If Costco didn't want you to go around the front pumps, they wouldn't have built them with center lanes now would they?

All our pumps around here are 3 deep with the little "pump is open" indicators so if someone is sitting at the front pump and holding up the line while 2 other pumps sit open, you're gonna get honked at or someone is going around you.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The only costco with gas pumps around here is enough of a gong show I don’t need to tempt fate by buying gas at what always looks like a huge circus of angry fat white folks.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

poisonpill posted:

When I’m “Cutting” I skip the dog

what the gently caress

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I like peeling garlic. It's almost always the first thing I do when starting to cook. It kind of sets the mood; puts me in cook mode. If I'm not making a dressing or something, I just smash the fuckers with the flat of my knife, pick out the good bits, and put them in a little pinch pot so I can add them after the onions are done. Mise in place!

Rainy season is upon us, and our cars are woefully in need of new wipers. People were crowded around the Costco display the last two times I was there, so I took a peek online. Cheesum Crow they want a lot of money for windshield wipers! $16 for a single RainX. I checked the Costco site, and the usual Michelin ones are six bucks a blade (with coupon). PBUC!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I haven't had a great experience with the Michelin wipers from costco. They're streaky as hell.

Then again, in all the years I've had this car, the only wiper I haven't had problems with are OEMs. So maybe I'm cursed.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Renegret posted:

I haven't had a great experience with the Michelin wipers from costco. They're streaky as hell.

Then again, in all the years I've had this car, the only wiper I haven't had problems with are OEMs. So maybe I'm cursed.

Two cars now with them, 4 streaky wipers. I think its them.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, they only cost $5.99 sooo...get what you pay for? Mine never streaked out the packaging but they def got a shelf life.

Gas: i thought the gas attendant tells you when to move?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Re: Gas line. Go around to the empty pump, unless you can tell someone is going to move immanently. It's always nice when all three cars clear simultaneously.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

People who stand in the middle lane to fuel up their vehicles need to realize they're gonna get run over at some point. By me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Should be a legal move IMO