Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Tighclops posted:

bologna Torres

:gowron:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, if we'd learned what Krall's deal was much earlier it would've been better.

I'd have dropped the entire magic life-sucking vampire and just have Edison keeping himself in stasis or something.

It's an alien stasis device, and since it's alien medical equipment it keeps trying to heal his obviously-deformed body.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really enjoyed Beyond for name checking and referencing Enterprise stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HD DAD posted:

I really enjoyed Beyond for name checking and referencing Enterprise stuff.
I definitely did not expect that would be the backstory for the villain. Down to them using the uniforms in the flashback video (and the shuttlecraft).

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Getting very close to the end of TOS now

The Way to Eden (aka the space hippie episode)- This episode was definitely a product of its time. A bunch of space hippies show up on the Enterprise and cause problems which the Enterprise crew is not sure how to react to. There is a lot of padding in the form of musical segments, some of which were written by guest star Charles Napier. I felt like both Spock and Chekov acted pretty out of character here. Chekov acts very stiff and formal which is not how his character usually came off. Apparently Walter Koenig agreed and thought that it was very badly written. Spock seems way too interested in the idea of an 'Eden' for someone who is a very analytical mind and repeatedly talks about how he is sympathetic to their cause. I feel like it's a running theme in season 3, but not much happens in this episode until the last 15 or so minutes. I'm honestly not sure how the writers thought you were supposed to feel about these space hippies by the end. Spock repeatedly feels sympathy for them and what they believe, but they do try and kill the crew near the end but somehow manage to not do that despite having the intent. The cost-cutting has really become apparent as the show nears the last few episodes that were ever released.

I had no idea that the 'musical guest specials' episode types like this existed across a lot of 60s/70s tv series, so this one definitely stands out as feeling weird

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

It makes sense in theory but was not done particularly well. Being able to sense people's emotions was something she just did, always, not some extra credit special ability she could pull out when she needed a boost. (But it was usually written as the latter.) It would be really unnerving to suddenly have that ripped away from you.

There's makings of something brilliant in that scene where she tries to explain this to Riker, and how from her perspective the entire crew has just been replaced with emotionless meat-puppets. So not only is she disabled, she's disabled in a way that nobody can understand, and is hideously nightmarish from her perspective.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's makings of something brilliant in that scene where she tries to explain this to Riker, and how from her perspective the entire crew has just been replaced with emotionless meat-puppets. So not only is she disabled, she's disabled in a way that nobody can understand, and is hideously nightmarish from her perspective.

Data would be super offended, if he were capable of it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Way to Eden (aka the space hippie episode)- This episode was definitely a product of its time. A bunch of space hippies show up on the Enterprise and cause problems which the Enterprise crew is not sure how to react to. There is a lot of padding in the form of musical segments, some of which were written by guest star Charles Napier. I felt like both Spock and Chekov acted pretty out of character here. Chekov acts very stiff and formal which is not how his character usually came off. Apparently Walter Koenig agreed and thought that it was very badly written. Spock seems way too interested in the idea of an 'Eden' for someone who is a very analytical mind and repeatedly talks about how he is sympathetic to their cause. I feel like it's a running theme in season 3, but not much happens in this episode until the last 15 or so minutes. I'm honestly not sure how the writers thought you were supposed to feel about these space hippies by the end. Spock repeatedly feels sympathy for them and what they believe, but they do try and kill the crew near the end but somehow manage to not do that despite having the intent. The cost-cutting has really become apparent as the show nears the last few episodes that were ever released.

Spock is sympathetic to the hippies primarily because he’s the character that The Kids liked, and The Kids are hippies nowadays. I think it’s justifiable in character terms, but I doubt that’s the way the writers thought of it. This attempt at relevant messaging is kind of ballsed up by the message being that hippie kids are well-intentioned but dumb, and that Timothy Leary is a big shithead.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

skasion posted:

Spock is sympathetic to the hippies primarily because he’s the character that The Kids liked, and The Kids are hippies nowadays. I think it’s justifiable in character terms, but I doubt that’s the way the writers thought of it. This attempt at relevant messaging is kind of ballsed up by the message being that hippie kids are well-intentioned but dumb, and that Timothy Leary is a big shithead.

When the hippies take over the auxiliary control room, one of them suggests murdering the crew by cutting off their life support.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SaintFu posted:

When the hippies take over the auxiliary control room, one of them suggests murdering the crew by cutting off their life support.

The one who suggests that is the alien ambassador's kid, right? He's the violent one who broke Severin out of jail earlier. I guess you could call him a militant if the characters were more successfully drawn. Anyway, Severin shoots the idea down immediately and they don't entertain it again. Contrast Khan or whichever other villains threaten to wax everyone on board unless they get what they want. These guys aren't monsters, they're just seriously deluded and willing to go to crazy lengths for their beliefs.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

socialsecurity posted:

Remember when they brought Burnham to the mess hall for 5 seconds so the rest of the crew could try to rough her up for starting the Klingon civil war (which she didn't)

She blame her for the Klingon civil war, they blamed her for starting the Klingon-Federation war. Which, if all you had to go by was Federation press releases, court documents, and Starfleet gossip, why wouldn't you believe she started it?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

"How do you do, fellow hippie kids? We're not herberts; we're hip!".

Spock's Brain is a bad episode but it has entertainment value from some of its ridiculous, MST3K-like lines. Way to Eden doesn't even have that. Nobody comes off well in this episode: the space hippies are close minded and dull, Kirk and Chekov are almost fundamentalist about the rules, and even Spock degrades himself with that jam sessions roughly halfway through the episode. It's just an awful episode.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

V-Men posted:

She blame her for the Klingon civil war, they blamed her for starting the Klingon-Federation war. Which, if all you had to go by was Federation press releases, court documents, and Starfleet gossip, why wouldn't you believe she started it?

That one plot point really bugged me, because she wasn't responsible for starting the war and to any of the bridge crew it should be immediately obvious the fault lies with the Klingons and Burnham only responded to their prior aggression, yet as far as I can recall no one in the show ever accurately describes those events and even Burnham blames herself. Was it meant to be this weird scapegoating where Burnham gets gaslit into accepting blame or were the showrunner just really stupid who didn't understnd the series of event they portrayed in the show?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

multijoe posted:

That one plot point really bugged me, because she wasn't responsible for starting the war and to any of the bridge crew it should be immediately obvious the fault lies with the Klingons and Burnham only responded to their prior aggression, yet as far as I can recall no one in the show ever accurately describes those events and even Burnham blames herself. Was it meant to be this weird scapegoating where Burnham gets gaslit into accepting blame or were the showrunner just really stupid who didn't understnd the series of event they portrayed in the show?

I really feel like some aspect that made it more directly her fault must have gotten lost in the creation process, but the overall motivation was maintained and nobody really noticed except most of the viewers

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's also the idea that news tends to get blurred and the specific details of what happened with the mutiny probably weren't publicised, so what a lot of people know is that there was a mutiny and that ship got into battle and now we're at war. Burnham, in the meantime, is so consumed with guilt over the captain's death she doesn't care.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

multijoe posted:

Well, from the bridge crew's perspective, she mutinied and attacked Captain Georgiou and was preparing the ship to attack the Klingons without any provocation and in contradiction to all of Starfleet's standing orders and principals. It's not mentioned, but I suppose Starfleet assumed that her preparations to attack were detected by the Klingons and they responded in imminent self-defense.

I suppose after the war ended and Starfleet sort of helped what's her face become high chancellor, the Klingon chancellor may have informed Starfleet Command that T'kuvma intended to attack the Federation all along and Burnham had zero culpability.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fuller got the boot during/after production of the pilot in favor of Berg and Harberts, who didn’t know what the gently caress was going on. It is kind of unclear why everyone blames Burnham for everything, apart from because the show is constructed such that everything must be about Burnham. They skip right over her trial in one lazy scene pretty much. It’s believable that Burnham at first could have blamed herself for the war, since she didn’t know that the Klingon leader was always hellbent on it, but I feel like that should have come out somewhere in her conversations with Ash/Voq. Maybe it did and I forgot because discovery is boring

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It's because the basic premise of the first season is that the dark-skinned religious fundamentalists are coming to get us, and the naive liberals in Starfleet don't have the strength to make the Hard Decisions, and then put all the blame on the people who were willing to act to stop the evil foreigners who would destroy our way of life.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Burnham goes on trial for mutiny, which she absolutely does. She considers herself responsible for the war because she made TKuvma a martyr.

I dont buy part two because we're only ever shown the surface of Klingon politics but it is consistent and makes internal sense. Also people who get hurt in a battle might reasonably resent the person who tried to launch a mutiny seconds before the battle started.

If you dump the mirror universe plotline from Disco season 1 entirely then there would have been time to really develop the idea of the Klingons as a resurgent but fractious state threat to the Federation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

skasion posted:

The one who suggests that is the alien ambassador's kid, right? He's the violent one who broke Severin out of jail earlier. I guess you could call him a militant if the characters were more successfully drawn. Anyway, Severin shoots the idea down immediately and they don't entertain it again. Contrast Khan or whichever other villains threaten to wax everyone on board unless they get what they want. These guys aren't monsters, they're just seriously deluded and willing to go to crazy lengths for their beliefs.
Dr Sevrin signs off on the hypersonic weapon that they believe is going to kill the Enterprise crew. For some reason it doesn't kill them but just renders them unconscious for awhile. But they were all on board with this.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Finished season 6 of TNG. The second half I felt dragged a lot but overall I think it’s the best season since 3. We might do DS9 season 1 before finishing or skip back and forth a bit.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Season 6 is probably my favorite season of TNG. There’s just so much good stuff in there.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Season 6 is probably my favorite season of TNG. There’s just so much good stuff in there.

Oh yeah even though I think it starts to drag, the first half is loaded with bangers. My only major issue with it overall is I think they whiffed the Thomas Riker ep when it’s an idea that could have been executed way better.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The first two episodes of Discovery had starfleets doing obvious war crimes (planting a bomb on corpses) just to add to the list of holy gently caress that show sucked right from the start.

Then again it DID start with the "draw a logo in the sand..." scene so gently caress man. It's like they were trying to be terrible

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Discovery started super bad but it’s become decent. It’s like they learned the hard way that it’s not 2009 and we don’t want grimdark hard choices Trek.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I just watched the pilot again last night bexause the SO wanted to see it, and its ridiculous how much more sense the entire series would have made if Michael would have been successful in firing first at the Klings.

The episode goes through pains to set up Michael and T'kuvma as having this narrative symmetry where their past trauamas with one another's cultures are informing their decisions. If the other Klingons weren't on board until Michael fired that torpedo and validated t'Kuv's fear mongering, you would have had this story about two cultures getting sucked into war because of misunderstanding and fear. Instead, as portrayed, the Klingons just come off as wacko caricatures of ISIS written by a Brietbart contributor

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

HD DAD posted:

It’s like they learned the hard way that it’s not 2009 and we don’t want grimdark hard choices Trek.

They haven't learned this at all though? Season 3 is looking just as grimdark hard choices edgy as season 2 or 1 were.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I just watched the pilot again last night bexause the SO wanted to see it, and its ridiculous how much more sense the entire series would have made if Michael would have been successful in firing first at the Klings.

The episode goes through pains to set up Michael and T'kuvma as having this narrative symmetry where their past trauamas with one another's cultures are informing their decisions. If the other Klingons weren't on board until Michael fired that torpedo and validated t'Kuv's fear mongering, you would have had this story about two cultures getting sucked into war because of misunderstanding and fear. Instead, as portrayed, the Klingons just come off as wacko caricatures of ISIS written by a Brietbart contributor

From what I’ve gathered from interviews, this was pretty much what Fuller was intending before he was ousted. Berg and Harberts are hacks and pretty much all of that was lost when they took over.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

Fuller got the boot during/after production of the pilot

He got booted long before that. He was fired in September 2016; the show didn't even start principal photography until late January 2017.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Did the new guys rewrite the pilot or was that all Fuller?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

are there any good behind the scenes articles/etc. on what went on with discovery's production the past two seasons? or is it mostly just we know about the series of showrunner firings but not a lot of other info?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Did the new guys rewrite the pilot or was that all Fuller?

At the time of his firing, Fuller had only turned in the final draft of The Vulcan Hello and a second draft of the second episode. Berg and Harberts wrote episodes three and four as "their" pilot.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

HD DAD posted:

Discovery started super bad but it’s become decent. It’s like they learned the hard way that it’s not 2009 and we don’t want grimdark hard choices Trek.

We can handle grimdark choices, but it needs to come around episode 0613.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
"Does this Star Trek thing help me aspire to a better humanity within myself and others?"

Yes or No?

It's a real simple litmus test.

Voyager doesn't pass it most of the time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crusader posted:

are there any good behind the scenes articles/etc. on what went on with discovery's production the past two seasons? or is it mostly just we know about the series of showrunner firings but not a lot of other info?

One of the writers quit the show after he, a black man, was repeatedly told to stop saying the n-word in the writers room, but beyond that CBS has run a super tight ship in terms of making sure behind the scenes machinations and chicanery don’t get out in the public sphere.

There’s all these dipshits on 4chan and YouTube and Twitter who claim that their Double Secret Insider Sources have all sorts of dirt about what a chaos disaster show the production of modern Trek is, but they 99.9% of the time turn out to be utter lies designed specifically to honeypot the aforementioned YouTube and Twitter dipshits. Those are fun to read about but it gets super rabbit hole-y and depressing after a while.

Otherwise no, sorry.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

One of the writers quit the show after he, a black man, was repeatedly told to stop saying the n-word in the writers room, but beyond that CBS has run a super tight ship in terms of making sure behind the scenes machinations and chicanery don’t get out in the public sphere.

There’s all these dipshits on 4chan and YouTube and Twitter who claim that their Double Secret Insider Sources have all sorts of dirt about what a chaos disaster show the production of modern Trek is, but they 99.9% of the time turn out to be utter lies designed specifically to honeypot the aforementioned YouTube and Twitter dipshits. Those are fun to read about but it gets super rabbit hole-y and depressing after a while.

Otherwise no, sorry.

no worries, thanks!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

Otherwise no, sorry.

In fairness, Discovery in particular seems to be a poster child for Creative Differences just based on Fuller’s dismissal and the showrunner turnover in general. Which isn’t to say that it’s a giant disaster destined for cancellation or anything, but there’s very clear tonal shifts in the show that correspond with those departures. If nothing else, I’m more curious about this coming season just because it’ll (probably) have had a singular cohesive writer’s room/showrunner for the first time in the show’s run.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I’m really curious to see how the show goes under the helm of Michelle Paradise. Part of me hopes she’ll be Discovery’s Michael Piller.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In fairness, Discovery in particular seems to be a poster child for Creative Differences just based on Fuller’s dismissal and the showrunner turnover in general. Which isn’t to say that it’s a giant disaster destined for cancellation or anything, but there’s very clear tonal shifts in the show that correspond with those departures. If nothing else, I’m more curious about this coming season just because it’ll (probably) have had a singular cohesive writer’s room/showrunner for the first time in the show’s run.

And of that I’ve no doubt, I was talking more about the utterly incredulous stuff like story of Alex Kurtzman ripping a 70” plasma screen TV off the wall and throwing it across a conference room in a fit of rage because he was informed that a no-name gimmick YouTuber had made another video trashing Discovery, which totally happened, trust me guys, my sources NEVER lie. poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

And of that I’ve no doubt, I was talking more about the utterly incredulous stuff like story of Alex Kurtzman ripping a 70” plasma screen TV off the wall and throwing it across a conference room in a fit of rage because he was informed that a no-name gimmick YouTuber had made another video trashing Discovery, which totally happened, trust me guys, my sources NEVER lie. poo poo like that.

Oh poo poo lol, I didn’t know Discovery had their own brand of “Kathleen Kennedy firing imminent?!!!!!” dipshits, but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.