Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

twistedmentat posted:

I actually think that might be my preferred method. Give us a 3 episode arc on day one then one an week.

Pretty sure cabbagetown already looks like dystopian Baltimore.

Maybe if you're going west of parliament, but Cabbagetown is bougie as gently caress

Jane and finch maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CainsDescendant posted:

We're on book five, more or less. Season four pulled in a bit of material from book five already, but otherwise we're more or less synced up at this point.

Yep. They've actually taken material from book 5 and spread it through the entire show so far all the way back to the first couple episodes. Book 5 is the big character development one for the whole Roci crew and they wisely decided to move a lot of that forward. There's also plot foreshadowing added in all the way back to early season 1 and dropped throughout.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MA-Horus posted:

Maybe if you're going west of parliament, but Cabbagetown is bougie as gently caress

Jane and finch maybe?

Yea, exactly that area. I used to go by theres all the time when I worked downtown and it was sketchy as gently caress, also daytime raccoons everywhere. I never went north, I assume that its gentrified between dundas and Wellesley?

Pizza Segregationist posted:

Fred Johnson says "we have an OPA informant" and then it cuts to him showing Naomi a picture of Filip saying "this is your son". I interpreted that as the informant being someone else who provided Fred with Filip's location

Ah, very easily a red herring then.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

East of parliament is 2 million dollar townhouses
West is public housing. It's weird as hell.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Oh poo poo, I'd actually subscribe to this: https://www.herocollector.com/en-us/Article/new-launch-the-expanse-ships-collection

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'd buy a roci and donnager

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
Ooooh yeah that season 5 trailer looks pretty sweet. Man, I was worried after the awesomeness of season 3 that season 4 would suck, but it didn't. Looks like season 5 should rock some serious balls!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MA-Horus posted:

East of parliament is 2 million dollar townhouses
West is public housing. It's weird as hell.

Yea, like I've met people at the Distillery and its easist for me to get off at Queen and Sherborne and walk 10 minutes rather than waiting for the bus, and its always super sketchy right there, but as soon as you walk like 2 blocks you're in super upscale homes.

I'm in the Beaches and its become way sketchier lately since covid. I think a lot of methheads and such just migrated from the core to the residential areas because no ones downtown. And they come into the store and bleed on my floor.

I've been to Baltimore, and yea, walking one way will get you in real nice neo colonial row houses and such, and the other it looks like LA in Predator 2.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 10, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I've been to Baltimore, and yea, walking one way will get you in real nice neo colonial row houses and such, and the other it looks like LA in Predator 2.

Most of house of cards was filmed in Baltimore not DC probably due to lower production costs and many neighborhoods being a visual match

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

That trailer gave me pon farr

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

etalian posted:

Most of house of cards was filmed in Baltimore not DC probably due to lower production costs and many neighborhoods being a visual match

I mean, they're essentially the same city at this point.

But loving seeing Alex in this.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Excited thought it would be pushed to 2021 but luckily will be out in December .

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Have read 1-3 and watched 1-3. How far do I need to get in the books to mostly stay ahead of the show? Not hardcore about it, but would prefer getting most major plot stuff from reading.

Obviously, we don't know what's totally in season 5, but previews seem to be showing book readers a ton. Do I need to finish six before watching four and five?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

81sidewinder posted:

Have read 1-3 and watched 1-3. How far do I need to get in the books to mostly stay ahead of the show? Not hardcore about it, but would prefer getting most major plot stuff from reading.

Obviously, we don't know what's totally in season 5, but previews seem to be showing book readers a ton. Do I need to finish six before watching four and five?

The most recent season functionally ended at the start of Book 5. Ironically, you will be more spoiled by the show for the the books at this point in the series. The main cast really don't get much backstory until Books 4 and 5...

If you want to keep pace with the show, read book 4. If you want to get ahead of the season that drops in December, read book 5.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Read book 5 and The Churn novella

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you want to safely stay ahead of the show I'd read through book 6. Books 5 and 6 are mostly a single story so I wouldn't be surprised to see the next season get some book 6 stuff in it.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

If you want to safely stay ahead of the show I'd read through book 6. Books 5 and 6 are mostly a single story so I wouldn't be surprised to see the next season get some book 6 stuff in it.

I'd like to stay safe, and I've heard from other readers that the story kind of rolls along in three book arcs. Not like season six is coming any time soon, so I'll probably get through six before doing four and five of the show.

Thx everyone for the insight.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

81sidewinder posted:

I'd like to stay safe, and I've heard from other readers that the story kind of rolls along in three book arcs. Not like season six is coming any time soon, so I'll probably get through six before doing four and five of the show.

Thx everyone for the insight.

Im pretty much doing what you are doing. Ive finished Book 5 and will probably read Book 6 just before December. Then read the remaining books after Season 5. To be honest, Im enjoying the show's adaptation better than the books so far. The book characters are so dull and the two best ones have been show only.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

TommyGun85 posted:

Im pretty much doing what you are doing. Ive finished Book 5 and will probably read Book 6 just before December. Then read the remaining books after Season 5. To be honest, Im enjoying the show's adaptation better than the books so far. The book characters are so dull and the two best ones have been show only.

Agreed. The books do a better job of clearly conveying the plot, but the show is much better at creating people I care about.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
As I non-book reader I'm really enjoying re watching S1, just great stuff right off the bat setting up the universe and especially when Jared Harris shows up in Ep3.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hope Marco is done better than he was in the books

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Marco, like Ashford and Murtry and Mao and Errinwright, fall into the mil-sci-fi novel antagonist trap of being a relentless one-note assholes.

But give their portrayal to a talented actor, talented screenwriters and directors, and they can infuse their own depth into the characters.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Just look at Ashford. Rampaging rear end in a top hat promoted over his head for political reasons who nearly kills everyone in the books. An imperfect but sympathetic fan-favorite character in the show.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Ashford and Drummer are easily the most Belta motherfuckers on the whole show.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Orange Devil posted:

Ashford and Drummer are easily the most Belta motherfuckers on the whole show.

Ashford and Dummer sold out to the inners. Diogo is the realest. :colbert:

...hopefully he's still in traction. :kheldragar:

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Ashford and Dummer sold out to the inners. Diogo is the realest. :colbert:

...hopefully he's still in traction. :kheldragar:

I would love to see Diogo show up again, as long as he's doing something completely stupid and infuriating.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Didn't Diogo get splattened?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yep. Diogo's rear end was crushed to dust.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Didn't see a body, and he was in a martian super suit, but yeah he got splatted real good. It'd be real funny to see him show up again, though. "Invincible me!"

And then he gets killed, again, but shows up the next season anyway

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 12, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Knowing this show they'll probably flesh out Marco this coming season, especially what bits we've seen in the trailer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They should show Diogo as being alive because the suit kept him alive, but he's severely brain damaged from the sudden acceleration of being hit by the elevator.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I'm telling you guys, Dawes had him in traction all through S4... :ohdear:

CainsDescendant posted:

Didn't see a body, and he was in a martian super suit, but yeah he got splatted real good. It'd be real funny to see him show up again, though. "Invincible me!"

And then he gets killed, again, but shows up the next season anyway

I mean, he's already the show's Kenny: sent up the river by Miller, spaced by his uncle, almost brained on Thoth, last living man off of Eros, and then the ~incident~ with a turbolift...

Come on, writers with a parachute account: make it so!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dreylad posted:

Knowing this show they'll probably flesh out Marco this coming season, especially what bits we've seen in the trailer.

Yeah the last season was setting up the villain reveal and also the shaky peace not lasting.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Looking forward to more beltalowda focus.

I hope Jared Harris comes back at some point but I'm guessing it's not this season if ever, at this point.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The actor could facetime a few scenes but he's probably busy otherwise

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Who wants to nerd out for twelve and a half minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTPwbVqU6lc

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Much beyond the scale of EVE Keepstars I start to lose a sense of logical realism re: how big something is. 160 kilometres is an enormous distance, but it makes sense that a hyper-advanced civilization could build something that big. Same with the Death Star. Once you get into the 1000+ km scale of things that openly defy the curvature of the Earth, it goes into the "this doesn't make any logical sense" realm for me.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Kazinsal posted:

Much beyond the scale of EVE Keepstars I start to lose a sense of logical realism re: how big something is. 160 kilometres is an enormous distance, but it makes sense that a hyper-advanced civilization could build something that big. Same with the Death Star. Once you get into the 1000+ km scale of things that openly defy the curvature of the Earth, it goes into the "this doesn't make any logical sense" realm for me.

The fun question is "What the gently caress were they regularly flying through the Rings to need them to be that big?!" This is a civilization that built a machine that humans mistook for a planet. They aimed big.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i dunno the maths is just made up, you can just say you need that much mass or volume or surface area to curve space-time to make a stable wormhole or something. like miniature wormholes simply not possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The fun question is "What the gently caress were they regularly flying through the Rings to need them to be that big?!" This is a civilization that built a machine that humans mistook for a planet. They aimed big.

I didn't get the impression that the PM civ built the planet from scratch, but rather just repurposed an existing planet (and an array of attendant moons moved into orbit) into a single piece of machinery. Iirc it was mentioned that the geological record had evidence of three different biological eras; The one that came before the protomolecule and was wiped out when the planet was repurposed. Whatever the PM civ was and then finally the biological era that evolved after the PM civ was itself wiped out by its enemies.

Doesn't change that the PM civ built big though.

As for the ring size, the protomocule still seems to require raw resources proportional to what it is constructing, so the rings might just be that big in order to facilitate hauling asteroids and small planetary bodies through to the system where the materials are actually needed.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 13, 2020