Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
No, ogorza is correct. Objects traveling at light speed don’t experience the passage of time, so a traveler moving at C to Kepler 22b would arrive instantly in their own reference frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why don’t they experience time?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Basically due to special relativity. The speed of light in a vacuum is the speed of causality, the universal speed limit. As you approach lightspeed, your clock slows down when compared to a stationary observer. This is called time dilation. You also appear to grow shorter and more massive.

When you hit lightspeed, your clock stops ticking. Unfortunately, you also have infinite mass, which is impossible. So only stuff with no rest mass (for example, light) is allowed to travel at lightspeed—and in fact massless stuff can't travel at any other speed.

e: Weirdly enough you can prove all this with high school algebra, it's not until general relativity that the math becomes ungodly.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

If this all sounds a bit theoretical, they have actually proved time dilation in the real world using supersonic jets and atomic clocks. A highly accurate clock flying around the earth at supersonic speeds then landing back at it's starting point will have experienced measurably less time passing than an identical clock that stayed in place.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah, GPS on your phone actually wouldn't work if it didn't correct for relativistic effects on the (relatively) fast-moving satellites. Everything would get out of sync.

Thinking about this, a stationary observer should perceive a sufficiently fast-moving object as massive enough to collapse into a black hole. This is very weird, because from that object's OWN point of view, it's the stationary observer who's moving at relativistic speeds, and the observer should seem massive enough to collapse into a black hole...and neither one of them can actually BE a black hole because, in their own reference frame, they clearly aren't.

I have no idea how to get my head around this.

I sort of doubt that Raised by Wolvesiverse much concerns itself with relativity though.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I vaguely recall someone doing napkin math and showing that the 13years spent aboard the ark is roughly equivalent to the amount of time the passengers would experience going .99C to Kepler.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, GPS on your phone actually wouldn't work if it didn't correct for relativistic effects on the (relatively) fast-moving satellites. Everything would get out of sync.

Not quite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4oy6mnkyW4&t=1663s
It's not the speed that affects the satellites, it's that they are in a different point in the gravity well which causes the major time difference.

IMHO the best explanation of time dilation is this:
Everything moves through spacetime at a constant rate, c (which also happens to be the speed of light)
We can represent it like this, with an objects direction of travel being line c:
code:
space
|
|   c
|  / 
| /
|/
+-------- time
As objects change speed, they don't speed up in spacetime, they change their direction of travel through spacetime, so an object at rest is the below:
code:
s
|
|
|
|
|
+-----c-- t
Moving through time at c (ie. no dilation), and through space at 0.

And light:
code:
s
|
c
|
|
|
+-------- t
Moving through space at c, and not moving through time at all (maximum time dilation, no time change is experienced).

If we are going at 100 km/h:
code:
s
|
|
|
|
|   --c
+--/----- t
We've barely rotated a fraction of a degree (because c is so goddamn large), and also time dilation is similarly small.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

the quintessential raised by wolves experience:

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1314752816225955842

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1315086860943843328

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

my only hope for season two is a time jump which results in my never seeing child campion again

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
my hope is a time jump and after the time jump the space snake now has a space ragnar mullet

because he's been observing and learning

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I feel like there has to be a decent time jump, because I doubt they're going to be filming any time soon and all the kid actors will probably age out of what they're supposed to be in the show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Campion died on the way back to his home planet

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

What's wrong with Campion?

I enjoyed the season, though it did drag a bit in the middle and it started laying on technobabble and some silly sci-fi poo poo at the end that wasn't really needed. Did the rapist really need to get superpowers from the bloodflow somehow getting reversed, something which you'd think an android would be able to detect happening just about instantly? Just seemed contrived and silly for something that had little point or payoff. The Terminator-esque earth scenes are a lot of fun and I hope to see a bit more of that in the second season. Mother and Father are both rad.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Campions a nerd and season 2 starts with a grownup paul slaying newly arrived atheist pussy.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dude grew up with roboparents how could he be anything but.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I really like Campion.

His parents spend years strictly teaching him to act in a certain way, and when they suddenly turn into hypocrites he feels angry, confused and betrayed by their actions.

He's naive, at worst. Which, yeah, hello. Child.

Blame the parents.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

LibCrusher posted:

I vaguely recall someone doing napkin math and showing that the 13years spent aboard the ark is roughly equivalent to the amount of time the passengers would experience going .99C to Kepler.

That's a cool easter egg. If season two takes place in earth around the same time as s1 it means over 600 years will have passed there. That fits nicely with the show maker saying that necromancers are "still" operational there. Maybe they oxygen concentrations have recovered and earth is fully habitable again?

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

I feel like there has to be a decent time jump, because I doubt they're going to be filming any time soon and all the kid actors will probably age out of what they're supposed to be in the show.

Stranger things made it work somehow and that show was 90% child actors by weight. Like, they can remove campion's beard in post and make everyone wear plateau shoes

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

Campions a nerd and season 2 starts with a grownup paul slaying newly arrived atheist pussy.

The plot arc we want to see

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Just throw Campion down one of the snakeholes already, let him come back evil

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

How long until space snake starts hissing how he hates his parents.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

If you really think about it, campion and the space snake are actually brothers. I wonder who the real disappointment in the family is though. I mean, they are obviously gonna say space snake like all good parents but I think, deep down, they know it's campion cause who wouldn't be proud of an ancient eldritch horror robot snake that will rule an entire planet one day

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I liked space snek better when it had way too many arms in Prometheus compared to none now.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Binged this show Friday and Saturday, and I think I knew when I opened this thread that goons were gonna have seriously mixed reactions. I think I loved it, though. It was definitely a bit of a bait-n-switch, went way more Prometheus in the end stretch when the first few episodes set up more of a survival sci-fi show exploring humanity and motherhood. I don't think I'm alone in saying the finale was more of a 7.5 than a 10, but ultimately I think it explained enough that I don't mind black-boxing away the rest, or at least waiting for another season or two.

It seemed pretty obvious to me what happened (and note that when I say "obvious" I really mean that I may very well be wrong but it was easy enough to build a headcanon explaining things): The planet's core was so massive that something something relativity black holes and it spit Mother and Father out on the other side of the planet at some point in the distant past -- I think showing the androids melting as they got close to the molten core and then seemingly in perfect shape on the other side was supposed to be a clue that time was going backwards and unmelting them. And lamprey snake will eventually evolve into the snakes they found as fossils in the present day, and possibly their civilization seeds Earth with the plans for the necromancers and aims the Mithraics at Keppler-22b to make sure the time loop happens. And Sol's "voice" is a snake people AI in the planet's core that's able to make use of things the humans drop in the pits, which is why it could appear as Tally and infect the sim pod to impregnate Mother. (I actually don't think it's a plot hole here that Dark Souls Rapist heard the voice of Sol when they were out in space, because we don't know that the voice Marcus heard is the same one that spoke to the rapist)

Actually, the only things that really annoy me as far as "plot holes" are stuff I haven't seen much of in the thread, like why it took 5 kids dying and another 5 getting sick and the androids never realized it was radiation poisoning, or why no one seems to know android milk gives humans super powers (and if they did, why wasn't it used in the war? Why did Lucius stick the eyes in Marcus's mouth instead of just killing him, or y'know, nothing at all? Why did it even occur to him to do that, really??)

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 11, 2020

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
^^ I'm really puzzled as to exactly which eye was used. Mother had a murder set and a non-murder set. She also possessed one she took from the Mithraic android she hosed up and threw into a pit. It's been implied several times that those murder eyes are the most powerful weapons on that planet and I think Lucius knows it too.

I think mother eventually ends up being reunited with her murder eyes.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 12, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Actually, the only things that really annoy me as far as "plot holes" are stuff I haven't seen much of in the thread, like why it took 5 kids dying and another 5 getting sick and the androids never realized it was radiation poisoning,

They didn't have access to the technology required to check the food properly. It passed their rudimentary checks, but without access to their lander they were stuck with the knowledge they had. It was only once they had access to a Mithraic shuttle that they were able to work out what exactly was going wrong. Until then, mother secretly blamed herself for her children's deaths.

Phenotype posted:

or why no one seems to know android milk gives humans super powers (and if they did, why wasn't it used in the war? Why did Lucius stick the eyes in Marcus's mouth instead of just killing him, or y'know, nothing at all? Why did it even occur to him to do that, really??)

This is a complete piece of insanity, both in and out of universe.

I assume that the android blood is intended to be toxic to humans, but Mother's milk is capable of interfacing with human biology in ways that are unexpected.

It's still an overly elaborate death for no good reason other than to set up drama later.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

^^ I'm really puzzled as to exactly which eye was used. Mother had a murder set and a non-murder set. She also possessed one she took from the Mithraic android she hosed up and threw into a pit. It's been implied several times that those murder eyes are the most powerful weapons on that planet and I think Lucius knows it too.

I think mother eventually ends up being reunited with her murder eyes.

I can't remember her ever swapping between two sets of blue eyes, I only remember her having one set of blue (murder) eyes which ostensibly (but it's not really explained at all) became permanently 'weaponized' the first time Mother went full banshee mode. She then took the android's (brown, non-murder) eyes and used them as her second pair.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

She used the eye from the lady robot that was sent to take the kids back and one from the first android at the same time for [reasons?]. It was kind of unsettling so I guess that's ultimately why.

No Pants fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 12, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
And she often had one of each in for some reason.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

She wanted to accessorise! With her never-changing skinsuit, she doesn't have many ways to express herself through fashion, so why not take the opportunity to show-off her personal sense of style through her best feature, her eyes?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
sometimes you just need to half-murder

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

redreader posted:

And she often had one of each in for some reason.

When she was wearing mismatching eyes, she was wearing the atheist droid eyes. One from the robot in the first episode, one from the twin who jumped in the hole.

The other, matching pair she has, are her necromancer eyes. Which Marcus took and then had forcibly injested.

When she has them, she doesn't like wearing them around the kids because she's malfunctioning and is worried she could accidentally kill her charges. That's obviously not a problem right now though.

I assume the mismatching eyes are a fashion statement, though they could also be a way of letting people know when she's weaponised and when she's not.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

looking back it was probably obvious but the pregnancy being bad wasn't something i was expecting at all. i kinda lost interest after the pregnancy reveal but the snake stuff was hosed up and god but then they immediately ruin it by not being able to kill it. huh?

also i have no idea what's going on but there's nothing really burning that i want answered. maybe why they are called necromancers? was that revealed anywhere? weird loving show

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Sheriff Falc posted:

I can't remember her ever swapping between two sets of blue eyes, I only remember her having one set of blue (murder) eyes which ostensibly (but it's not really explained at all) became permanently 'weaponized' the first time Mother went full banshee mode. She then took the android's (brown, non-murder) eyes and used them as her second pair.

The eyes have always been what enable the necromancers to 'weaponize', even OG Campion is afraid the first time he gives her back her eyes after reprogramming as the 'final test' to see if she didn't kill him, think of them as her weapons module.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Necromancer milk is stored in the eyeballs. Everyone knows that

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Regarding Dark Photon technology and Mother's weaponized eyes, it would seem if we are to take Dark Photons as some kind of polar opposite of regular photons, then insomuch as regular eyes are designed to collect/catch regular photons, a Necromancers eyes instead emit dark photons.

Just figured this probably has something to do with Mother's reticence to let the kids see her eyes when she's weaponized (since in a non-weaponized fashion there doesn't seem to be as much concern).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ya'll can use your HBO max subscription to watch Cats now if you want night terrors that Raised by Wolves didn't deliver on.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Ya'll can use your HBO max subscription to watch Cats now if you want night terrors that Raised by Wolves didn't deliver on.

It was horrifying as a Broadway show, it’s even more horrifying as the cgi version in the movie

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Space Cats by Ridley Scott. Also includes milk androids.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Infinity Train is on HBO Max, it's a good watch. It's a cartoon, inspired by game design, specifically Myst. It's good, and not too long a watch. It also features people caught in an uncaring environment. Really it's very thematically similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I finished this last night and I did not expect the space snake angle at all. Guess Ridley Scott got his covenant sequel after all. It would be very funny if Fassbender showed up next season.