Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Spiderdrake posted:

So little thing, Denji noted can we ban that move and the full power form just destroys it anyway. I kinda get the feeling this version is stronger than before and has learned from Denji fights. Which is a weird thought.

The progression is him piledriving Bow and then dicing Katana up, leaving Sword, Bomb, Whip, Gun(Pistol? Looks different) and... Stick? Big Stick guy? alive?
I love this

He kicked both Sword and Bow, and he's holding both their decapitated heads+spines in that shot. Then he goes No U to Katana. So Bomb, Whip, Flamethrower and Spear are left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is the translation worse in the Viz version? She says 'who are now here' and in context it appears to be referring to people who, ya know, aren't there

golden bubble posted:

He kicked both Sword and Bow, and he's holding both their decapitated heads+spines in that shot. Then he goes No U to Katana. So Bomb, Whip, Flamethrower and Spear are left.
Oh poo poo. In the speed scan I couldn't even make out the detail of the second kill. Daaaamn.

In the better scan it looks like he destroyed Whip and Flamethrower with the kick off too.

Also I really gotta say the art in this chapter is amazingly good.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i think people are thinking too hard about the implications of chainsaw man obliterating concepts (not that i blame them it's kinda fun) but it is interesting that chainsaw man has seemed to mostly eat only awful things even if he kills indiscriminately

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think the stick guy is Spear. I thought Flamethrower was Pistol/Revolver for a bit, not gonna lie.

I like Sword's bunny ears.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i kind of wondered why there wasn't an explicit term for what denji is, since he is far from the only one. that is a very strange explanation.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

Spiderdrake posted:

Is the translation worse in the Viz version? She says 'who are now here' and in context it appears to be referring to people who, ya know, aren't there
Yeah, the official translation's "You fought the weapon devils and the four horsemen who are now here." is really unfortunate. I don't read Japanese so I don't know what the original intent was, but I can't be the only one who for a second thought that Spear, Whip, Flamethrower and Sword were the Four Horsemen — since at the time Makima says it, those four weapon hybrids haven't been officially named, are "here", and we don't even know that they're "just" weapon hybrids yet. It's just unnecessarily confusing.

Well, not that it matters much, since Chainsaw just wiped the floor with half the weapon hybrids and presumably will finish with the rest real quick. I wonder how much time it'll take Chainsaw to fight the Horsemen, which is probably up next — Death in particular should be super-powerful, right? At least on the level of Darkness, I would guess. And once Chainsaw kills Death, I don't really know what more powerful Devils there could be left to fight. Maybe the God Devil, which sounds silly but this is Chainsaw Man, after all...

Thoren
May 28, 2008
is power ok

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Thoren posted:

is power ok

No.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Fire punch is better than chainsaw man because Power doesn't die in Fire punch, also other reasons.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

at least she went out with a bang

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Watch power be one of the 4 horsemen.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Death, Famine, War, Conquest

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
My first volume of chainsaw man arrived today! I'm caught up through Viz and still want to collect the softcovers. Probably the only manga I'd consider doing this for.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Someone translated a terrible quality of 88:
Chapter 88

Other than the few scenes Makima had it's actually pretty bad. (her sort of happy face at getting tied up and banging chainsawman) I don't like this much and hope we go to a different scene soon.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Someone translated a terrible quality of 88:
Chapter 88

Other than the few scenes Makima had it's actually pretty bad. (her sort of happy face at getting tied up and banging chainsawman) I don't like this much and hope we go to a different scene soon.

I'm sorry, but Chainsaw Man ripping out his own heart to get back from orbit is too metal for me to dislike.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Darth TNT posted:

(her sort of happy face at getting tied up and banging chainsawman)

PHRASING

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can only read this as a Jojo reference and it's great.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Chainsaw ripping its own heart out and throwing it back to earth; is kinda similar to the scene in Fire Punch where Agni ripped off and tossed his own head

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Man, this manga loves throwing away entire arcs like they're nothing. Chainsawman in Hell, Chainsawman in Love, Chainsawman in Space, Chainsawman Baseball Tournament.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I wonder if Makima has people/devils set up to revive the hybrids.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EmmyOk posted:

I dropped Fire Punch due to the stuff with the bestiality p fast

I completely forgot about that lol

I'm starting to lose interest though despite how great these chapters are, power was the heart of this story.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1314581394312626178?s=19

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
proper quality

Well the better quality helps this chapter a lot. It at least makes the action easier to follow.
But I really hope we finish this soon. Maybe now he’ll go and watch a movie again.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't like how unbothered Makima still is. Not sure if that's due to her nature as Control devil, but it just feels horribly like this is all as expected. Perhaps according to keikaku...

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I think it's because she's happy to either win and get her victory, or die by the hands of the famous hero Chainsaw Man.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

I think it's because she's happy to either win and get her victory, or die by the hands of the famous hero Chainsaw Man.

Yep.

The look on her face as she's about to get sliced up isn't "just as planned", but more...

Well, Darkness from Konosuba, as opposed to the Darkness from the International Assassins arc.

Those are the eyes of a maiden in love.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

also on reflection Aki defense squad taking our weekly day off on a Sunday was a misstep

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Makima's relishing her lack of control. She cares less about whether she wins or loses, and more about the fact that she doesn't know.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

I don't like how unbothered Makima still is. Not sure if that's due to her nature as Control devil, but it just feels horribly like this is all as expected. Perhaps according to keikaku...

Have we actually ever seen her display real emotion other than at the movie theater?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Have we actually ever seen her display real emotion other than at the movie theater?

I don’t think so other than her half smile. Maybe anger when Denji disobeyed her? But not visually much diff

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also the crying in the cinema panels on twitter got me reading it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I don’t think so other than her half smile. Maybe anger when Denji disobeyed her? But not visually much diff

Anger?

No, when Denji disobeyed her, she was shocked, then delighted. Makima's incredibly happy in that panel. She doesn't show as much emotion again for a long time.

(We also see her laugh so hard she cries when Denji thinks he's dreaming. It's all the creepier because of how subdued she normally is.)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I’m not sure I vaguely remember her being annoy r maybe with the kid in chapter 2?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I’m loving this, waiting for the montage chapter of just 10 full page spreads of destruction and stuff getting eaten by chainsaw man to end the universe

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I enjoy the small touch that Chainsaw Man's heart just looks like a hosed up Poochita. Was that shown in earlier volumes or is this new because he's in his super hosed up mode.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I don't find this manga very good or thought provoking in the way everyone else seems to think it is.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
maybe provide some examples of what you thought was lacking? What you said is basically an empty statement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Pewdiepie posted:

I don't find this manga very good or thought provoking in the way everyone else seems to think it is.

You disliking it just makes me like it even more.