Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah it's like an additional $40 for shipping unfortunately. But yeah, have at least broken even and started to make some money on them finally. It'll at least help me keep my head above water for a bit longer. Signed up for a holiday art market in late November, so hopefully that works out. Gotta step up my production. Gonna go check out one in like a week and see what people have and get an idea of what people are looking for.

Getting a little waffley on my next piece. Keep trying too many different things.

Here's a weird old-timey cyclops snake-oil salesdog I'm drawing right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

deep dish peat moss posted:

Inktober sucks so instead of participating I've been challenging myself to use a non-ink medium each day, and I'm happy with the Lisa Frank hellscape I penciled out today

Very cool!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I am curious what you mean with this. The inking? The daily production? The person behind it? Everything?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Keetron posted:

I am curious what you mean with this. The inking? The daily production? The person behind it? Everything?

Oh, I'm only referring to the whole controversy with Jake Parker and the monetization of Inktober, and the "Inktober" brand. Inking is cool, I'm not the best at daily production, and I know of alternatives like Drawtober, but I'd rather do my own thing and using non-ink materials for this month just feels right to me :shrug:

I love this! The shading is so neat and uniform, I wish I could do that

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 11, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

deep dish peat moss posted:

Oh, I'm only referring to the whole controversy with Jake Parker and the monetization of Inktober, and the "Inktober" brand. Inking is cool, I'm not the best at daily production, and I know of alternatives like Drawtober, but I'd rather do my own thing and using non-ink materials for this month just feels right to me :shrug:

Heard about this controversy / monetization thing and I know a lot of artists were really pissed about it. I guess ignorance is bliss in my case. I don't really care, since it is an excercise more than anything else and it could be drawtober or darktober or any number of alternatives.
https://brushwarriors.com/inktober-alternatives/

I know a couple of talented painters who just scoff at the idea of needing prompts in general. Guess I am saying that the work is all that matters. Some are better at daily production than others. For me, each years gets harder and harder to keep up with but I still enjoy the effort.

Oh - here is some more engraving stuff.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

On the CC discord we are doing art-tober with a variety of lists, some of us are following the botober list and the results are pretty sweet.
Now Lowtax is no longer associated with the forums, I'll likely post here more often and at the end of the month I'll do an effort post with all results.

edit: I forgot, this discord is not part of the GDN but it is full of goons: https://discord.gg/25e2VpE

Keetron fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 11, 2020

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Another in the "Kaiju attacking Austin" series which I originally started because ????

Calling it "Making my way downtown" :v:

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

I hadn't done art in sometime, then I saw a bunch of pop art paintings from Greg Leon Guillemin and was inspired. So I did a few of his, my own versions of them then one of my own of a buddy.
Felt good to be creative again!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Those are really cool. I feel like you could make a killing on etsy with those.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

Those are really cool. I feel like you could make a killing on etsy with those.

Oh, thank you so much! My ex owns them all now apart for the one I did of my buddy... I didn't think about selling them as they're based on another artists work... Maybe I should look into etsy though...

Really appreciate the compliment!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
:aaa: those are amazing!

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012
Here's a couple more I finished recently. I am thinking about posting an SA mart thread selling portraits of pets. Anyone have any experience selling artwork on SA Mart have some advice for me? What would people be willing to pay for something like this?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hell of a question -- wondering myself. I've had a bunch of people express interest in buying my Kaiju prints, but (a) talk is cheap, and (b) even if they're serious, I have no idea what is market-realistic.

There's this thread, various formulas you can find online which use Material Costs + Time + Overhead to help you calculate your hourly rate, you can trawl Etsy for comparisons (taking into account location and medium), or going to artist groups on Facebook or Discord.

If you find anything useful, let me know :v:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Trabant posted:

Hell of a question -- wondering myself. I've had a bunch of people express interest in buying my Kaiju prints, but (a) talk is cheap, and (b) even if they're serious, I have no idea what is market-realistic.

There's this thread, various formulas you can find online which use Material Costs + Time + Overhead to help you calculate your hourly rate, you can trawl Etsy for comparisons (taking into account location and medium), or going to artist groups on Facebook or Discord.

If you find anything useful, let me know :v:

Thanks for this. I always forget about the art business thread. I need to read it... repeatedly... and loving memorize it.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Crossposting from the fanart thread. Its a bugsnax.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I can finally share two recent gouache paintings I made for goons. I'm pretty proud of them!

Count Orlok, Nosferatu

Possession

Both are 9" x 12" on watercolor paper.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Made a collage/envelope thing today out of a uline catalog and an old Betty Crocker cookbook my dog destroyed.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I haven’t attempted a portrait in a long rear end time but I felt like trying today.

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I can finally share two recent gouache paintings I made for goons. I'm pretty proud of them!

Count Orlok, Nosferatu

Possession

These are cool. I dig 'em. Nice job.

Dog Nougat: thank you for the info. I notice in your thread you are communicating through PM's. I do not have a platinum account yet (too poor). Is this required for this type of thread in SA Mart? Can I post art for sale without a platinum account? Also, can I post a thread for art that hasn't been created yet? I have examples of art that I have done for others (pet portraits) but don't have any complete paintings ready to go like you do with your prints.

(Sorry for the confusion Trabant. I can't read or write.

DickButt Shitlord fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 14, 2020

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm happy if my post helped, but you might be thinking of dog nougat and their fantastic crab circus prints? Having never posted in SA Mart, I really don't know what the process/rules are.

Actually, dog nougat might be the right person to talk about pricing etc. As far as I know, they didn't start off with the idea of making these to sell, so it might be an interesting push vs. pull art sales discussion.

Or I'm entirely wrong and talking gibberish :v:

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Franchescanado posted:

Count Orlok, Nosferatu

Possession

These are both great! I don't suppose you'd be willing to sell Possession at all?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Trabant posted:

I'm happy if my post helped, but you might be thinking of dog nougat and their fantastic crab circus prints? Having never posted in SA Mart, I really don't know what the process/rules are.

Actually, dog nougat might be the right person to talk about pricing etc. As far as I know, they didn't start off with the idea of making these to sell, so it might be an interesting push vs. pull art sales discussion.

Or I'm entirely wrong and talking gibberish :v:

Yeah, so I didn't make the painting with the intent to make and sell prints, but as I progressed i realized that it was good as hell and people might buy the prints.

As far as cost is concerned it's gonna vary largely on the cost of printing, packaging and shipping costs, what people are willing to pay, and how much you're looking to make.

I looked around at etsy a bit, but prints seem weirdly cheap there overall and I suspect that they're getting them just printed at kinkos or something. I opted for archival giclée on archival paper because I want to give people a product that lasts and is a good value.

Things like print size, print run, and paper choice will affect this. I did a run of 20 prints, plus had the printer digitize and color correct my image. He ended up giving me a deal for $20/print instead of the quoted $22, so that helped save me a bit. After tax it ended up being about $500 for everything, so after shipping and materials costs it came out to about $35-$40/print for me. The cost of printing will vary based on your location. I'd call around to various printers in your area and get a quote on printing and the papers that they offer.

As for selling on SA-MART, it's pretty easy. Make a listing, describe what you have and give em a price. I ended up crossposting my prints as I had posted it in other non-art threads and people had expressed interest in buying them. I'm not sure on the couthness of doing that normally though. I posted them on my Instagram and Facebook as well and in some art and buying and selling groups as well. Largely I've sold the prints to goons and couple real-life acquaintances. I actually just sold my first print through Instagram yesterday to some stranger in Massachusetts. They paid through PayPal, so I feel reasonably safe about doing that.

The big thing is that a lot of people will give lip-service and say they'll buy these things, but when the time comes it's just crickets. Such is life I guess.

This should be a good starting point at leat for ya though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

syntaxrigger posted:

These are both great! I don't suppose you'd be willing to sell Possession at all?

I have prints of both available for purchase. The originals already have owners. DM me for a link, if you're interested!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Been going through a messy breakup lately, finally got the gumption to sit my rear end down and work towards something more definite.

Rat-admiral, ratmiral, radmiral?

Playing around with some hatching techniques. My plan is to do a portrait in oils on canvas and frame it in a kinda gaudy/ugly frame I have.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Stretched and primed a canvas today. 5 coats of nice, smooth, well sanded gesso. Need to do a couple iterative layouts and iron out a few details, but I should start laying paint down in the next couple days.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i love stretching canvas, I started using tacks instead of staples because I've been watching too many baumgartner restoration videos on youtube

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
That would make sense, I imagine they're easier to remove. Does it hold the canvas as securely?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah they hold on just fine. They're easier to remove than staples and having nicely spaced tacks around the edge of the canvas is a nice look if youre into that sorta thing.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Huh, I imagine it's might be a bit more difficult to stretch since you'd need 3 hands to hold the canvas, a hammer, and a tack. I wrap my canvas all the way around an fix it from behind anyway. Normally I paint the sides of my canvas as a continuation of the main painting so I don't have to deal with framing. This one will go in a frame cuz I have it already, plus I feel like a portrait needs a frame.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

dog nougat posted:

Huh, I imagine it's might be a bit more difficult to stretch since you'd need 3 hands to hold the canvas, a hammer, and a tack. I wrap my canvas all the way around an fix it from behind anyway. Normally I paint the sides of my canvas as a continuation of the main painting so I don't have to deal with framing. This one will go in a frame cuz I have it already, plus I feel like a portrait needs a frame.

He uses a hammer witth a magnet...

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Tacking hammers are magnetic on the back so you don't have to hold the tack. Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol. I totally forgot those were a thing

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Can anyone share a guide or tutorial in digitizing acrylic (or any paint) on canvas? A friend of mine has this really convoluted workflow involving a bunch of copies of layers and several dozen photos taken with a DSLR at different angles and lighting setups. We're just wondering if there's a better way or anything.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Most digitization attempts I've seen out there assume a decent scan to start with, so getting a large canvas into a computer... no idea how to go about that.

In case you're looking to get a vector image, I'll quote myself from another thread and what worked for me with an ink print:

Trabant posted:

Anyway! I went down the same tablet/Adobe/etc. research path but realized I didn't want to spend hundreds of bucks, so I'm always on the lookout for alternatives. Inkscape is free and using its built-in functions might be the way to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiFiKXlMQ2g

but I haven't tried it yet. I figure it might be even more effective if you're like me and print in monochrome. I'll scan a print or two later and report on how well it worked.

Trabant posted:

I have mostly good news! That tutorial worked for my needs -- I scanned in a (badly overinked) proof I had nearby and followed along. The reason I say mostly good news is that it will almost certainly require trial and error, in addition to some prep of the image. Note that the below are my-dumb-rear end-trying-things-out steps rather than any kind of actual instruction.

Here is a part of the initial scan (I made a Godzilla print couple months ago for :iiam: reasons):

Zoomed in on some of the teeth:

I opened the scan in GIMP to remove the grey background of the paper itself, which worked pretty well using the Select by Color Tool and hitting the Delete key. I was left with just the black print and the transparent background.

Pretty sure that I should've made a few more colour selections to capture all of the paper background, but this worked well enough. And honestly... it may have been completely unnecessary. As in, I don't even know why a transparent background would be needed here. I'll play around with that... eventually.

Anyway, I exported that as a .png, opened it in Inkscape, and followed the video. This is where trial and error may be necessary. I kept the test simple and used a Single Scan, Brightness Cutoff, Brightness Threshold = 0.6. Let the computer chug along for a few seconds and exported the resulting object as a standard .svg file. Here it is zoomed in the same way as far as Inkscape would let me, to 25,600%:

No trace of pixellation at all, so I'm calling it a success. It's something I can tweak if I see dropped features from the original print. Hope it works for you too -- beats buying hardware and software and doing this by hand.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

tuyop posted:

Can anyone share a guide or tutorial in digitizing acrylic (or any paint) on canvas? A friend of mine has this really convoluted workflow involving a bunch of copies of layers and several dozen photos taken with a DSLR at different angles and lighting setups. We're just wondering if there's a better way or anything.
What you’re describing, with the multiple photos/layers, is really the best thing if you have a canvas that’s too big to flatbed scan. Taking good photos of the canvas is 99% of making it work.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been drawing with colored pencils a lot lately

(giant zoomable version)

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Dove into this painting today.

Took me a bit to remember what the hell I was doing with oils, but it came back pretty easily. Got a solid underpainting done. Feels awesome.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

xposted from the daily thread...

Inktober "Trap"

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Neon Noodle posted:

What you’re describing, with the multiple photos/layers, is really the best thing if you have a canvas that’s too big to flatbed scan. Taking good photos of the canvas is 99% of making it work.

I was worried about that. Thanks though!

I think we made some progress using a speedlight and some strategic shadow placement. Part of the issue is the various reflectiveness of the different paints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Made some solid progress on the ratmiral today. Need to push my values on the trousers slightly, but it's going in a good direction after some dumb, frustrating mistakes early on.