Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

amigolupus posted:

That part where it showed you a text about the solution to the puzzle is only found in other ports of RE3. In the PSX version, it only plays the tune so if you're tone-deaf then you're kind of screwed trying to solve it.
Oh hey, that's interesting to know. I never played any of the games on the original PSX and the solution pedestals fit in well enough that they could've always been there.

Sucks for tone-deaf or just straight-up deaf people, then. Good that they moved away from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
CarcinogenSDA interviewed the director of RE3 and they mentioned they got feedback about that particular puzzle from surveys so they changed it in later revisions.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Thank you for making me feel less dumb.

Heh yeah, I was like "Did I miss something?" I played my disc on an emulator (yeah, that's right, I bought RE3 when it launched and never played it.)

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Vakal posted:

Maybe it's just me, but during my play through of RE3 Remake I couldn't help but feel that Capcom must have hired someone on their staff whose sole job was to just carry around a stick to make sure none of the devs put QTEs into the game.

Employee 1: "Ok in this part a car explodes and hurtles directly at Jill. I'll just add a QTE button prompt right here..."

Employee 2: "No Quick Times!" *whack*

Employee 1: "But there's a giant head/boulder rolling down the street! At least let me put in a button mash!!"

Employee 2: "No Quick Times!" *whack* *whack* *whack*

That head/boulder comes out of nowhere and hosed me up on multiple playthroughs. Unless you're attuned to it, the timing between "huh... what?" and SPLAT is really small. That was a bastard on Inferno when I had to do the loving missile Nemesis sequence again.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 11, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, for all practical purposes, that might have as well been one of RE4's boulder QTEs for how quickly it needs you to react and how easily it can kill you. There's nothing that's really better about it unless you have a particular grudge against QTEs and think even an insta-kill trap is improved by not having them.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I think instead of playing RE3 again right now, I'm going to move on to Code Veronica. I might come back to it, though. I also still need to go back to RE2 and go through Leon B as well. My plan was to play the series for October (though I technically started in September), and I don't want to get too bogged down replaying one game for too long.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't remember what everyone really hated about CV. I recall having fun with it but it's been forever and only thing I remember from it is the spider under the ice. Beyond that, I don't remember a god damned thing about that game except for having fun with it at the time.

Could also be that I was one of the few dummies who bought a Sega Saturn and was just psyched to have a new game to play that wasn't Virtual FIghter, NFL 2k or Crazy Taxi.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't remember what everyone really hated about CV. I recall having fun with it but it's been forever and only thing I remember from it is the spider under the ice. Beyond that, I don't remember a god damned thing about that game except for having fun with it at the time.
Being incredibly boring and forgettable pretty much is what most people dislike about it, so that comes as no surprise.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

BiggerBoat posted:

According to the gamingbrit it's possible to get soft-locked by a mid-game boss, and the campaign is like two RE campaigns smushed together so the second half is a retread just like in Devil May Cry 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXqTXv9-z-8

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Could also be that I was one of the few dummies who bought a Sega Saturn and was just psyched to have a new game to play that wasn't Virtual FIghter, NFL 2k or Crazy Taxi.

CV is fine but has some annoying elements like the backtracking, Steve's voice acting and for some reason no zombie decapitations (I mean why the gently caress would you take that out). There are also numerous ways to screw yourself over through unexpected character switches, unobtainable magnum if you don't keep the fire extinguisher, poison moth corridor right outside the loving save room and the tyrant boss fight in the plane is bullshit.

Graphically it's dated worse that the PS1 titles although the PS3 / 360 version added a new lighting engine and some other cool effects which help a lot, alternatively there's a good HD upscale texture pack available if you emulate the GameCube version through Dolphin.

It also has the best knife in the series, that thing cuts through zombies like butter.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Don't you mean a Dreamcast?

Unless you somehow had a complete copy of the original beta for the Saturn :tinfoil:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

BiggerBoat posted:

Crazy Taxi man YA YA YA YA YA

CV is pretty gangster all around. Steve's cheesiness is RE :discourse: the bonkers akimbo calico guns are 1000+% style points, the opening cinematic was dank as gently caress back then such that they even aped it in the 2004(?) RE movie, the spider under the ice was cool, kimbo golden lugers was cool, that boss on the helipad or whatever that comes out of the fog was cool, and the game was just packed with cool stuff all under the veneer of new(er) technology at the time

however in seriousness,

if you were playing it at all as any kind of young person and/or person susceptible to creepy games, the initial island setting with Claire is genuinely dreary, foreboding, and very tense. Those environments were different from, but on par with those in the first couple games. It was solid stuff and it was :carol: ON A NEW SYSTEM WITH BETTER GRAFFIX :carol:

yeah boy dreamcast Skies of Arcadia and Powerstone 2 bruh YEEEEEEE those were the days

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Convex posted:

CV is fine but has some annoying elements like the backtracking, Steve's voice acting and for some reason no zombie decapitations (I mean why the gently caress would you take that out). There are also numerous ways to screw yourself over through unexpected character switches, unobtainable magnum if you don't keep the fire extinguisher, poison moth corridor right outside the loving save room and the tyrant boss fight in the plane is bullshit.

Graphically it's dated worse that the PS1 titles although the PS3 / 360 version added a new lighting engine and some other cool effects which help a lot, alternatively there's a good HD upscale texture pack available if you emulate the GameCube version through Dolphin.

It also has the best knife in the series, that thing cuts through zombies like butter.

I'm emulating it through Dolphin, though I didn't know about the HD texture pack.

I meant to fire the game up just to see if it worked and ran properly, but I ended up making it to the crane bit and back to the palace. Haven't died yet, but once again, I feel like I'm taking too much damage and burning through health items not long after I find them. I find it interesting the game gives you those weird dual auto-pistols early on.

So at this point, the game doesn't seem too bad. I've still got the fire extinguisher, albeit stowed away in the item box, so maybe I can still get magnum. Didn't know about the effectiveness of the knife, but I was under the impression the knife was meant to be ignored until you got to RE4.

I am worried now, though, about running into one of the scenarios mentioned (rendering the game unwinnable, getting a soft-lock with the mid-game boss, the poison moths, the Tyrant fight on the plane). Is there anything I should know going forward?

BiggerBoat posted:

All I really knew about Code Veronica going in was the Legendary Frog animation. To my surprise, Steve Burnside seems like more of goofy cartoon person in the actual game than he did in that animation.

That animation is also why I always pronounce Claire's name as 'Cleee-Air'

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

I am worried now, though, about running into one of the scenarios mentioned (rendering the game unwinnable, getting a soft-lock with the mid-game boss, the poison moths, the Tyrant fight on the plane). Is there anything I should know going forward?

First off just make multiple saves, seems common sense but some people don't do it.

There's definitely enough ammo, but you can use the knife on lone zombies if you go for the legs.

Before the character switch, Claire has a boss fight. She gets a weapon exclusive to that fight, and can kill the boss with it. Maybe give her her handgun if she runs out of ammo, but keep the rest of the good weapons in the box.

Near the end of the game, you switch back to Claire for a brief interlude. DO NOT GIVE HER ANY WEAPONS OR AMMO. Give her a few heals. Leave everything else in the box.

Save the BOW grenade rounds for a boss.

You can pump the tyrant full of explosive bolts and then hit him once with the box and knock him out.

When you're done using the fire extinguisher, make sure you retrieve it and anything else from the metal detector boxes and put it in the item box. The metal detector box is not an item box.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Beat RE3 remake last night and thought it was great, albeit very short. I'm in the mood for more RE, I started playing Revelations a while back but something turned me off on it. Is it worth it to just skip to Revelations 2?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Beat RE3 remake last night and thought it was great, albeit very short. I'm in the mood for more RE, I started playing Revelations a while back but something turned me off on it. Is it worth it to just skip to Revelations 2?

yes. i put off revelations 2 for too long because i couldn't get into revelations (that loving nub on the new 3ds literally ruined that game for me, who can aim with that loving thing)

i think revelations 2 feels a lot more like a classic RE game personally, it's highly underrated. also unless i am forgetting something unimportant story wise the games have absolutely nothing in common

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

honestly they don’t even have that many revelations!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It did have Revelaitons tho.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

rabidsquid posted:

yes. i put off revelations 2 for too long because i couldn't get into revelations (that loving nub on the new 3ds literally ruined that game for me, who can aim with that loving thing)

i think revelations 2 feels a lot more like a classic RE game personally, it's highly underrated. also unless i am forgetting something unimportant story wise the games have absolutely nothing in common

Cool thanks. I think I'll just go right to Rev2

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Smirking_Serpent posted:

honestly they don’t even have that many revelations!

Barry reveals his magnum several times, I'm not sure what more you wanted :confused:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
For the first half of CV, you get a lot more crossbow bolts than you get powder for them, so it can be useful to use up the weak normal bolts on killing lone inconvenient zombies in high-traffic areas. The knife is useful for killing grounded enemies, and it is really good, but it's finicky enough that it's not worth keeping around on a blind first run.

rabidsquid posted:

There's a twist in Episode 3 of Revelations 2 that won't make any real sense at all if you haven't played Revelations, but it's nothing you couldn't get from a plot summary

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

yeah but for real, i think Rev2 is very underrated. I think it laid some of the groundwork for the RE2 remake, as an attempt to use some of the classic horror gameplay in a modern third person shooter format. It's not super scary, but it's trying!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I'm emulating it through Dolphin, though I didn't know about the HD texture pack.

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-resident-evil-code-veronica-x-hd

It's a decent upgrade as a lot of CVX's textures are really drat blurry.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

So at this point, the game doesn't seem too bad. I've still got the fire extinguisher, albeit stowed away in the item box, so maybe I can still get magnum. Didn't know about the effectiveness of the knife, but I was under the impression the knife was meant to be ignored until you got to RE4.
Code Veronica is pretty much the one exception to that due to a bit of weirdness in how its collisions work. If you use the knife while aiming downwards, you get three or four hits in for every swing. When you're dealing with a single weak enemy, that makes it an unusually efficient way to save on ammo.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Code Veronica is pretty much the one exception to that due to a bit of weirdness in how its collisions work. If you use the knife while aiming downwards, you get three or four hits in for every swing. When you're dealing with a single weak enemy, that makes it an unusually efficient way to save on ammo.

It's actually pretty powerful even on stronger enemies. You can kill Hunters with two swings if you know what you're doing. My last run of CV had me pretty much only use ammo and guns on bosses and maybe the occasional more annoying but rare enemies like Bandersnatches.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's actually pretty powerful even on stronger enemies. You can kill Hunters with two swings if you know what you're doing. My last run of CV had me pretty much only use ammo and guns on bosses and maybe the occasional more annoying but rare enemies like Bandersnatches.
Fair point. In terms of the damage you do, that's totally valid. I just found it very hard to pull off without getting smacked for my trouble, so didn't feel confident in recommending it as a strategy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The best thing about the knife in Code Veronica is you aim down as a zombie approaches and if you time it right the slash will hit both of its knees multiple times then immediately after you let go of the stick and slash again. If you position it right the first slash makes the zombie fall to their knees and the second hits their upper body+head enough times that it kills them. You can do some crazy poo poo with this like kill two or even three zombies near you in like a few seconds and IIRC you can even take down two at the same time with this.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Neo Rasa posted:

The best thing about the knife in Code Veronica is you aim down as a zombie approaches and if you time it right the slash will hit both of its knees multiple times then immediately after you let go of the stick and slash again. If you position it right the first slash makes the zombie fall to their knees and the second hits their upper body+head enough times that it kills them. You can do some crazy poo poo with this like kill two or even three zombies near you in like a few seconds and IIRC you can even take down two at the same time with this.
That was my strategy, out of the original 4 RE games (1-3 + CV) it's the only game I actually used the knife the whole game. It was also extremely useful in 4 + 5 but it never took up an inventory slot so it didn't matter.

The only reason to carry around a knife in REM 2+3 is to find out if a zombie is actually dead or playing dead. REM3 knife in particular was horrid because zombies could immediately grab you if you were knifing them to see if they're still alive

As alive as zombies can be I guess.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There is exactly one spot in RE3 where the knife is actually useful. Maybe you remember that spot where you can climb up onto a wooden pallet? Doesn't matter if you don't. There's a pretty big horde of zombies in that area, but due to engine reasons, they can't attack you if you're not on the same Z-level as them. You, however, can aim downward and hit them. The trick is to climb up, start aiming downwards, and just plink away until there's a pile of zombies at your feet three layers deep. Takes almost ten minutes.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The knife in RE2R is super useful for downed zombies. Also it absolutely tears up Birkin 1 and also just about every boss if you unlock FPS on the PC version :v:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
It's also very good at handling lickers!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Pretty cool how they made the knife more useful in 7/RE2R but the fuckin thing lasts about 3 slashes. Not sure which way makes less sense

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

codo27 posted:

Pretty cool how they made the knife more useful in 7/RE2R but the fuckin thing lasts about 3 slashes. Not sure which way makes less sense
That's mostly for the special use. It lasts a good long while in RE2make if you just use it as a weapon rather than as the get-out-of-grabs panic button. If you use it just to slash zombies, you could probably go through most of the game on just a single knife.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

tbf you can dismember a zombie in like 2 slashes and i dont know about your experience dismembering people but it takes quite the toll on a pocket knife

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Convex posted:

The knife in RE2R is super useful for downed zombies. Also it absolutely tears up Birkin 1 and also just about every boss if you unlock FPS on the PC version :v:

even on base consoles with the lowest fps possible you can still kill birkin with basically two knives and one grenade without taking any damage

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

even on base consoles with the lowest fps possible you can still kill birkin with basically two knives and one grenade without taking any damage

Yeah, bad grammar on my part I guess

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The knife is way more powerful at high FPS because the damage procs more often, so I suppose it's not wrong to say that it tears up bosses more if you do that.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Played a bit more of Code Veronica tonight, but didn't make much progress. I got to the bit where you play as Steve, but died right after because I was at super-low health after the fight with the stretchy-arm monster. Started back at my save at the palace, and tried it again, this time making sure to get the bow gun. Got back to where I was at previously, but then died to dogs. Finally decided to make a save before the fight the the stretchy--arm monster.

You get a lot of ammo for the bow gun, but it feels super weak. Seems like you have to plug twenty shots into a zombie before it goes down. I know I should probably be using the knife, as someone said, but even with the side pack, I don't know about having it take up an inventory slot.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The bow gun in CV is pretty useless except for combining the bolts with gunpowder or something, I forget the exact name of the item and you may not have seen any yet. Basically it turns the bolts into mini-rockets and they are very powerful. Don’t use them on just anything when you do get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah explosive bolts are basically this game’s magnum, although there is a magnum too. But save them shits for bosses or tough enemies that you absolutely need to get rid of.