Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

As silly as the Resident Evil games can get the movies are a hundred times dumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

As silly as the Resident Evil games can get the movies are a hundred times dumber.

i really feel like this depends on if we're talking the first three movies, or the ones from Afterlife on after W.S. Anderson came back

the first three movies are weird and unrelated to the games, more or less (Apocalypse tries but good lord that movie sucks), and are very definitely dumber than the games

at Afterlife (#4) it takes a hard left turn out of nowhere and retools itself to get a lot closer to the games, and the movies from that point on are genuinely really fun, not any more or less dumb than the contemporary games (RE4/5/6), and if Monster Hunter is like those I ain't gonna be mad at all

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

You could've chosen to get up and leave the theater whenever you wanted.

So, it'll be Zach Snyder's Funny Games?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Vagabundo posted:

So, it'll be Zach Snyder's Funny Games?

I was gonna literally post that, haha.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

John Murdoch posted:

You could've chosen to get up and leave the theater whenever you wanted.

Elmo Presents The Monster At The End Of This Movie

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DeafNote posted:

How would a movie adaptation of Spec Ops even work?
Remake Apocalypse Now in the Middle East

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also

DeafNote posted:

i could actually see it working really well, albeit not being the same experience, if it was just adapted straight. cut the metanarrative stuff that ties the player/viewer to the protagonist, and just have it follow the protagonist as the mission just slowly drives him more and more batshit and to greater depths of depravity.

it's basically Apocalypse Now when you do that, but Apocalypse Now is one of the GOAT war movies and wasn't overly original to start with, so I struggle to call that a bad thing.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jamie Faith posted:

Zack Snyder will make the movie adaption of Spec Ops the Line and Hbomberguy will have a scorching hot take on it. That'll be the event that leads this thread to reach derail singularity.
Should be a remake of the Phantom Menace for maximum chaos.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DeafNote posted:

Pretty easily, you just take out the tutorial prompts and floating button hint boxes and you're done. A movie of a squad's descent into madness is complete, taking great pains to make sure the audience remembers how professional and efficient they were at the beginning and how they're not at the end as they're caving in people's faces with the ends of their guns to illustrate how far they've fallen.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
A lot of the metanarrative stuff got overblown by thinkpiece writers needing to hit their minimum word count and weirdos who are still mad a loading screen was rude to them 8 years ago. Even without the commentary about modern military shooters, just the events of the game displayed on film would be fine.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

what if... killing... is bad?

Please. In the Snyderverse killing is only badi f you off billionaire masterminds. Even touching them with your silly bat-brand is a no-no.

Goons and collateral-damage civvies are fair game.

His version of a Spec ops trip would ber to send a ragged mujahedin running toward you, and when you gun it down your squad pulls off his disguise and goes "What the gently caress, man! You killed Elon Musk! He was slumming here in the Middle East getting sample for his universal, free cancer cure! You've killed someone who matters, not just a faceless pleb, you monster!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I think maybe this one is but otherwise I disagree.

• How many Americans have you killed today?

• There is no difference between what is right and what is necessary.

• If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.

• It's time for you to wake up.

• Squad commands are unavailable when you're alone. No one can help you now.

• You are still a good person.

• Can you even remember why you came here?

• This is all your fault.

• Do you feel like a hero yet?

• To kill for yourself is murder. To kill for your government is heroic. To kill for entertainment is harmless.

• White phosphorous is a common allotrope used in your slaughter at the Gate. It can set fire to soldiers and the innocent civilians they are trying to help.

• It's Konrad. He did it. All of it.

• Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.

• You cannot understand, nor do you want to.

• The US military does not condone the killing of unarmed combatants. But this isn't real, so why should you care?

• We cannot escape anguish. It is what we are.

• If Lugo were still alive, he would likely suffer from PTSD. So, really, he's the lucky one.

• Adams blames Walker for Lugo's death. It's his fault they didn't leave Dubai when they had the chance.

• Walker's obsession with Konrad has brought nothing but destruction—to Dubai and his squad.

• There is no escape.

• Life begins at the other side of despair.

• No one can help you now.

• Collateral damage can be justified, if the gain outweighs the cost. How much do you think Adams and Lugo are worth?

• Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you.

• I exist and I find it nauseating.

• Walker and Adams have served together for many years.

• You can't go home.

• If the Radioman now speaks for the 33rd, then what happened to Konrad?

Once again, I maintaint the opinion that the game is criticizng Walker's actions and not the player's.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Once again, I maintaint the opinion that the game is criticizng Walker's actions and not the player's.

Then why do the loading screens refer to Walker and You as two separate entities?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

You guys...Me making fun of the fact that we have alot of derails around spec ops the line was not an invitation to have another derail about spec ops the line :negative:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RareAcumen posted:

the thing is though, Spec Ops has a lot of little touches that are designed to equate Walker to the player. like, in the white phosphorous scene, watch Lugo's hand when he's calling out Walker- he's not pointing at Walker, he's pointing at the camera.

the problem, though, is that a lot of the stuff that would have made this really properly work got cut from the game outright, because too many playtesters were taking the "good" options and not seeing the intended narrative. like, there was originally an option to just do your mission and get the gently caress out of Dubai and get a relatively happy ending... and the vast majority of playtesters rolled with that. in the white phosphorous scene, playtesters kept either ignoring the artillery entirely and just fighting the enemies with regular guns, or deliberately avoiding the civilians with the WP bombs... so they made the enemies respawn indefinitely until you use the artillery, and had a military truck pop into the civilian trench that you're required to bomb if you do the latter thing.

looking over its development, it feels like a game that could have been near-perfect but got focus-grouped and micromanaged into a much more flawed gem.

e: it's sort of like if, midway through development on Undertale, Toby Fox went "man, way the gently caress too many of my playtesters are doing the pacifist run and not the no mercy one" and cut two thirds of the game to force people to get the point of that route, whether they like it or not, and whether it actually applies to them or not.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Me making fun of the fact that the IP thread has lots of derails over spec ops the line: "I am a genius!"

Me after that post causes another derail over spec ops the line: "oh no!"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jamie Faith posted:

Me making fun of the fact that the IP thread has lots of derails over spec ops the line: "I am a genius!"

it's a combination of Spec Ops being genuinely interesting to analyze, even this far out from its release, and there not really being any actual good places to talk about it on SA so everyone just gets it out of their system when it comes up in an unrelated thread.

i suspect this is also why Snyder causes so many derails: there is a grand total of one thread, on the entire loving live forums, where talking about that dude isn't either explicitly banned or generally a bad move. and it's in CineD, largely populated by fans of his, and not nearly as active as most of the threads where derails about him happen (which, on SA, is more or less equivalent to it being in a locked storage closet in the basement with a sign reading "BEWARE OF THE LEOPARD" taped to the front).

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

it's a combination of Spec Ops being genuinely interesting to analyze, even this far out from its release, and there not really being any actual good places to talk about it on SA so everyone just gets it out of their system when it comes up in an unrelated thread.

That's fine but it's going to devolve into another angry slap fight the second someone dares to say they didn't like it

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Jamie Faith posted:

ya done hosed up!

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand was better.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The 50 Cent games are both pretty legit third-person shooters, I always felt embarrassed a bit like, early-internet-days for me when I'd think like, man the 50 Cent game was cool as hell and then later on embraced it especially once Blood On The Sand came out, they're just good times playing 50 Cent cleaning up the 'bad guys' in the hood and then in the middle east. I always kinda thought it was rad that Bulletproof, the first game, also had Eminem in it as like a super crooked cop contact that Fitty knew. Both games also had pretty slick soundtracks, I was into some 50 Cent in those earlier 2000's so like Bulletproof where it was so many of his earlier/blow up classics had me in the game's mood easy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Then why do the loading screens refer to Walker and You as two separate entities?

Hmm, fair point. :hmmyes:

So, nine-gear crow, how many Americans have you killed today?

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the thing is though, Spec Ops has a lot of little touches that are designed to equate Walker to the player. like, in the white phosphorous scene, watch Lugo's hand when he's calling out Walker- he's not pointing at Walker, he's pointing at the camera.

the problem, though, is that a lot of the stuff that would have made this really properly work got cut from the game outright, because too many playtesters were taking the "good" options and not seeing the intended narrative. like, there was originally an option to just do your mission and get the gently caress out of Dubai and get a relatively happy ending... and the vast majority of playtesters rolled with that. in the white phosphorous scene, playtesters kept either ignoring the artillery entirely and just fighting the enemies with regular guns, or deliberately avoiding the civilians with the WP bombs... so they made the enemies respawn indefinitely until you use the artillery, and had a military truck pop into the civilian trench that you're required to bomb if you do the latter thing.

looking over its development, it feels like a game that could have been near-perfect but got focus-grouped and micromanaged into a much more flawed gem.

e: it's sort of like if, midway through development on Undertale, Toby Fox went "man, way the gently caress too many of my playtesters are doing the pacifist run and not the no mercy one" and cut two thirds of the game to force people to get the point of that route, whether they like it or not, and whether it actually applies to them or not.

Wow, it really got micromanaged to hell and back alright. So, what even happened, did all the playtesters just show up to work, play the game for 40 minutes and evac out of Dubai and just refuse to play anymore of it and go home? I'm having a hard time understanding how this works.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 12, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I am not at liberty to answer that question, I am sorry.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I am not at liberty to answer that question, I am sorry.

Ah, so not enough to unlock the achievement then.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, it really got micromanaged to hell and back alright. So, what even happened, did all the playtesters just show up to work, play the game for 40 minutes and evac out of Dubai and just refuse to play anymore of it and go home? I'm having a hard time understanding how this works.

i suspect this was less the "go through it painstakingly to find bugs" kind of playtesting, given the game's content was still in flux, and more the "stick an early build in front of a NDA'd focus group and see what people say" kind. i'm not really sure on the details myself, but that would make a lot more sense, and i know that's not an unheard of thing at game studios (Valve based a lot of their design decisions for HL2/Portal/Alyx on this kind of feedback).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 12, 2020

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

My favorite IP thread derail is when people pop in to announce that they love/hate Star Wars for like ten pages.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

what's Star Wars?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm star wars

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

You must be Rise of Skywalker because you suck

GOTTEM

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alaois posted:

what's Star Wars?

It's that thing about space with Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSwO-k-RqNA

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's that thing about space with Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSwO-k-RqNA

oh that sounds good

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Alaois posted:

what's Star Wars?
a futile and desperate attempt to avoid going MAD

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dias posted:

You must be Rise of Skywalker because you suck

GOTTEM
nah I'm The Last Jedi, contentious and both liked and disliked by a wide variety of people, but generally better than you think I am and often hated by the worst people. :smuggo:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Alaois posted:

what's Star Wars?

A miserable little pile of retcons

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

nah I'm The Last Jedi, contentious and both liked and disliked by a wide variety of people, but generally better than you think I am and often hated by the worst people. :smuggo:

which star wars has the widest variety of hats

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Probably one of the prequels because of all the stupid politicians.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Speaking of Star Wars and internet funny people

https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews/status/1303336772311691266?lang=en

What does it say that LGR reviewed the knitting stuff pack but wont do a video on the star wars pack for sims 4?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The fact that its a shameless corporate ad for a shameless corporate ad is the real hilarious part imo. Like, there's so much potential for a Star Wars Sims if you had to take that route. And they use it to send you to Disneyland.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I only meant to make a joke about how often this thread derails into Star Wars discourse. I absolutely didn't mean to start a new one. I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The Bee posted:

The fact that its a shameless corporate ad for a shameless corporate ad is the real hilarious part imo. Like, there's so much potential for a Star Wars Sims if you had to take that route. And they use it to send you to Disneyland.

im sad there was never a second stab at the Sims Medieval formula because that sorta thing would work really well for star wars imo