Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.
My 980TI has died at the most inopportune of times, leaving me with:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz
RAM: 24.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 DELUXE (LGA1155)
Graphics: LG ULTRAWIDE (2560x1080@60Hz) [Can't connect to my good 3440 x 1440 monitor with this card]
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (MSI)
Storage 2x 931GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB (SATA (SSD))

I would like to buy something that will let me game at ~60fps and 3440x1440 about as well as they will play on next gen consoles: I'm not going to upgrade constantly so I can keep sliders at ultra.

The array of unpleasant options seem to be:
Limp along with the 460 GTX I dug out of my closet until I can get a RTX 3070/3080 to put in a new Ryzen pc. I could probably handle this trash monitor for two weeks before going crazy.
Buy a GTX 1660 for ~$200 as the cheapest equivalent for my 980TI and do a Ryzen/3070 black friday build.
Do a ryzen build, and put a ~$400 5700 XT in it.
Buy some prebuilt system from Alienware or another OEM to get a 3080.

Any thoughts on these or other ideas I haven't considered?

I would be happy buying something like this, if I could:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($209.09 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($188.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($145.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($147.31 @ Amazon)
Total: $691.38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Knot My President! posted:

Thanks for the info, guys :)

So getting good DDR4 seems like the best option even for 2021.

Would the 5900X be a good/fun upgrade from the 6700K then? I do 1440p high refresh gaming and plan on getting an ultrawide some time this/next year. I've been hesitant about a CPU upgrade since the 10700K and equivalent processors are like... 10% faster and AAA titles are not my first choice for gaming

5700x would already be entering overkill territory.

Id be shopping for a 5600X for games if I wanted Zen 3

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

cyrn posted:

My 980TI has died at the most inopportune of times, leaving me with:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz
RAM: 24.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 DELUXE (LGA1155)
Graphics: LG ULTRAWIDE (2560x1080@60Hz) [Can't connect to my good 3440 x 1440 monitor with this card]
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (MSI)
Storage 2x 931GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB (SATA (SSD))

I would like to buy something that will let me game at ~60fps and 3440x1440 about as well as they will play on next gen consoles: I'm not going to upgrade constantly so I can keep sliders at ultra.

The array of unpleasant options seem to be:
Limp along with the 460 GTX I dug out of my closet until I can get a RTX 3070/3080 to put in a new Ryzen pc. I could probably handle this trash monitor for two weeks before going crazy.
Buy a GTX 1660 for ~$200 as the cheapest equivalent for my 980TI and do a Ryzen/3070 black friday build.
Do a ryzen build, and put a ~$400 5700 XT in it.
Buy some prebuilt system from Alienware or another OEM to get a 3080.

Any thoughts on these or other ideas I haven't considered?

I would be happy buying something like this, if I could:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($209.09 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($188.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($145.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($147.31 @ Amazon)
Total: $691.38

EVGA "step up" could let you but a nice gpu now and swap it later.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm getting that "pre buy" buttlerflies because I'm stepping back into uncomfortable territory even though I've been yelled at and bullied and beaten into AMD submission (this is a joke I luv you all) That build I posted was good right :negative:

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Asema posted:

I'm getting that "pre buy" buttlerflies because I'm stepping back into uncomfortable territory even though I've been yelled at and bullied and beaten into AMD submission (this is a joke I luv you all) That build I posted was good right :negative:

The one thing I would note is that the consensus is that for SSDs Samsung has become overpriced. Something like the WD blue or crucial MX500 in place of the 860 and something like the WD SN750 in place of the 970 will save a little money for the same performance.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I am currently doing research for my PC build. I think the RTX 3070 (when they come out) would be the level of price I am looking at for a GPU. Is that going to be good enough for 4K gaming if I upgrade my monitor to one that supports 4K?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I am currently doing research for my PC build. I think the RTX 3070 (when they come out) would be the level of price I am looking at for a GPU. Is that going to be good enough for 4K gaming if I upgrade my monitor to one that supports 4K?

It really depends on what you want for frame rate and settings. It'll probably be good enough for 60fps at most graphics settings, but no one really knows yet.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FreeKillB posted:

The one thing I would note is that the consensus is that for SSDs Samsung has become overpriced. Something like the WD blue or crucial MX500 in place of the 860 and something like the WD SN750 in place of the 970 will save a little money for the same performance.

going for the crucial and the sn750 respectfully, thanks.

But 750w psu should be enough for the 7 and a 3080 right? a friend told me to get 1000w and that seems like loving OVERKILL

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gearman posted:

It really depends on what you want for frame rate and settings. It'll probably be good enough for 60fps at most graphics settings, but no one really knows yet.
I see articles saying that the RTX 3070 is above the performance of the 2080 TI which was a top of the line card in the last gen and capable of 4K.

I am not planning to actually have everything together for a build until the end of the year so I am not in a hurry. I would rather have something that can last a long time. My current PC I have had since 2013 but I have replaced most of the components since purchase. It appears that my current problem is that the GPU I have is being bottlenecked by the CPU, which is older and one thing I never changed.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I see articles saying that the RTX 3070 is above the performance of the 2080 TI which was a top of the line card in the last gen and capable of 4K.

I am not planning to actually have everything together for a build until the end of the year so I am not in a hurry. I would rather have something that can last a long time. My current PC I have had since 2013 but I have replaced most of the components since purchase. It appears that my current problem is that the GPU I have is being bottlenecked by the CPU, which is older and one thing I never changed.

Yeah I meant to say that it'll probably be fine hitting 60fps at 4k with most graphics settings, but we only have NVIDIA's very marketing-heavy chart to go on so far.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Asema posted:

going for the crucial and the sn750 respectfully, thanks.

But 750w psu should be enough for the 7 and a 3080 right? a friend told me to get 1000w and that seems like loving OVERKILL

Nvidia is smarter then your friend about their own gpu.

They recommend a 750watt for 3080.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Does RAM above 16 GB have a major impact if you have a good processor/GPU and are running games on an SSD? Like I have 32GB in my current PC but I'm guessing that is probably overkill.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So far the new MS Flight Simulator game can benefit from more than 16gigs of RAM. If you're into Oculus some future games might benefit. But for the most part, no.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've done it. I'm gonna stop talking to this thread about the parts because they are purchased.

Now comes the anxiety of building.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Asema posted:

I've done it. I'm gonna stop talking to this thread about the parts because they are purchased.

Same but TBH plastic and metal is pretty durable. I have had many a screwdriver slip I was sure killed the mobo but its all been fine. I even had a hard drive fall onto the back of my gpu because it was not installed correctly while I was tilting the case and both were somehow fine.

Unless you drop the cpu on the ground you will be fine.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

In independent benchmarking, for some more intense games (especially ones that have heavy RTX) the 3080 barely scraped by 60FPS. We don’t know yet what the 3070 will do, but if you’re gonna drop cash for a nice 4K monitor you should probably spend the extra $200 on a 3080.

If you’re not gonna drop on a ton of cash on a nice 4K monitor, you should probably buy a nice 1440p monitor.

Asema posted:

I’m glad you came around.

For reference, gamer’s nexus (one of the more independent, reliable hardware channels) rated “all of 2019 intel” as some of the worst components in all of 2019.

And things have basically gotten worse for them, not better. Additional security flaws, an important step up milestone being delayed, etc.

Your concern around AMD makes sense, but 5-6 years is a loving eternity in PC hardware. Someone else said that every piece of hardware needs its own separate independent review, and that’s basically true

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kingnothing posted:

In independent benchmarking, for some more intense games (especially ones that have heavy RTX) the 3080 barely scraped by 60FPS. We don’t know yet what the 3070 will do, but if you’re gonna drop cash for a nice 4K monitor you should probably spend the extra $200 on a 3080.
Thanks for letting me know, I may just end up doing that.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health
I realize the answer to the question “when should I buy?” is basically wait as long as you can, but I’m at the point where I want to upgrade in the next 2-6 months or so but don’t need to immediately. I have no idea what's going on in the world with COVID supply chain stuff, and one of the posts linked in the OP suggested waiting to buy unless you have to (last edited a month ago). Should I buy now or wait if I'm looking around the $1000 price point?

Additional :words: :

I have a five-year-old Macbook Pro and am looking to get a new desktop. I’m interested in a desktop because it looks like I’ll be working from home for at least another year, and I’m interested in dipping my toe back into gaming. Plus I think I could squeeze a few more years out of the laptop if it weren’t my only machine. The laptop is beginning to show its age but is fine most of the time. It struggles with screen sharing on Zoom while hooked up to an external monitor and trying to run computations (an issue trying to share results on the fly), and there are some other quality of life issues that come up while working which are mildly annoying but not in “replace immediately” territory.

• What country are you in? USA
  • What are you using the system for? Scientific computing which is mostly CPU, not GPU, intensive. Hard to say exactly what I need here. For serious stuff, I can use a cluster, but it’s nice to be able to run things locally and prototype quickly. Some gaming
  • What's your budget? $1000 plus or minus a few hundred dollars. If there are good marginal returns to spending a bit more I’m comfortable with that, or if the performance returns compared to spending are poor near my budget point I'm obviously happy to spend less.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? R, Stan, and a small assortment of related languages tools. My non-expert impression is that the only consequence of this is that it makes springing for 32GB of RAM more attractive because R keeps all data in memory. I also think I’ll dual boot because scientific computing life is easier on Linux, but I haven't spent much time thinking about this yet.
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? My current monitor’s resolution is 2560x1440 with a 60Hz refresh rate. I might consider getting a second monitor (separate budget $500). As for performance, I'll take a small step above it runs.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

I realize the answer to the question “when should I buy?” is basically wait as long as you can, but I’m at the point where I want to upgrade in the next 2-6 months or so but don’t need to immediately. I have no idea what's going on in the world with COVID supply chain stuff, and one of the posts linked in the OP suggested waiting to buy unless you have to (last edited a month ago). Should I buy now or wait if I'm looking around the $1000 price point?

If you can wait, it’s probably worth it right now. New AMD stuff announced yesterday that (while mostly out of your budget) should price drop some stuff in your budget (or let you buy used at a good price as CPUs rarely die) once inventory stabilizes.

With GPUs it’s the same. With your budget depending on what AMD has, it might be attractive. There’s also the likely impending release of the 3060.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kingnothing posted:

I’m glad you came around.

For reference, gamer’s nexus (one of the more independent, reliable hardware channels) rated “all of 2019 intel” as some of the worst components in all of 2019.

And things have basically gotten worse for them, not better. Additional security flaws, an important step up milestone being delayed, etc.

Your concern around AMD makes sense, but 5-6 years is a loving eternity in PC hardware. Someone else said that every piece of hardware needs its own separate independent review, and that’s basically true

5-6 years is very long in hardware, but in my dumb gremlin brain it feels like yesterday because i'm not getting old, i am still fresh out of college and super young and shut up :negative:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Thanks for the help and advice, Goons! Got everything assembled and transferred my GTX 1070 to the new system while waiting for my 3080! :toot:

Here is the final build list:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($184.07 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS60 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($100.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-S2S-124K-GP 44.73 CFM 120 mm Fans 4-Pack ($17.98 @ Amazon)
UPS: CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD UPS ($154.94 @ Amazon)
Total: $1451.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-10 20:30 EDT-0400

The NH-U14S was a tight squeeze on my ASRock B550 Pro4, but it just fits. There's about 2-3mm of clearance between the PCB and the cooler. :sweatdrop:

That being said, hooooooy boy does that thing cool! My 3700X will not get above 65C. :ssj:

Being A Goon of a Certain Age, I have to run (free) 3D Mark with a new system:

Old Rig was an i5-2400 with 8GB of DDR4-2100 and a Samsung 850 Evo SATA SSD.

New Rig - I may have been CPU-limited: :ohdear:

Now the long wait for a RTX3080... :ohdear::hf::f5:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

maybe a dumb question.. how cheap can i go on a motherboard to pair with a 3700x and an eventual 3080?

would anything lower than a b450 be dumb?

i'm not worried about upgrade paths. and my feature set requirements are really, really low.

i'm just curious because i can easily blow $200+ (AUD) on a board with a stack of features i'll never use, or pickup a basic b450 for $90 (like the ASUS Prime B450M-K), so I just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing anything obvious.

edit: hmm i just realised it could depend a lot on the ram i'll use.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 11, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's not dumb. The B450 mobos are perfectly capable. But you can get the B550M pro vdh wifi for like $115 and it's a solid board.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

If that's the MSI B550M pro vdh that's $190 moon dollars in Australia. Which to be honest, I'm not opposed to spending that much if I need to. I just thought if I didn't really have to spend too much... how low could I go....

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Anecdotally, every time I got a bare minimum board I regretted it in some way or another. They didn't catastrophically fail but there was always some dumb poo poo that didn't work right with them.

I don't know if the B550M Pro-VDH or B550M Bazooka are the relative bargains in other markets that they are in the US, but based on specs and various reviews they're in the same tier as the B450 Tomahawk MAX that was our generic "this is plenty for most uses" board.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

sean10mm posted:

B550M Pro-VDH

I hadn't seen this board before, and was excited by the idea of a <$180 B550 with wifi/bluetooth that didn't have an aesthetic so loving obnoxious that it would make me buy a case without a window (those loving Tomahawk/Bazooka/whatever other weapons of warfare boards are the worst branding in PC gaming outside of the company literally called Glorious PC Gaming Race). looks like a lot of the reviews for it are pretty negative, though, with a lot of people saying it has compatibility issues with 3600s particularly which seems odd :smith:

of course, I think literally every motherboard on Newegg has a bunch of 1-star complaints about lemons, so I should probably just be prepared to RMA whatever board I end up getting...

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

I have a five-year-old Macbook Pro and am looking to get a new desktop. I’m interested in a desktop because it looks like I’ll be working from home for at least another year, and I’m interested in dipping my toe back into gaming. Plus I think I could squeeze a few more years out of the laptop if it weren’t my only machine. The laptop is beginning to show its age but is fine most of the time. It struggles with screen sharing on Zoom while hooked up to an external monitor and trying to run computations (an issue trying to share results on the fly), and there are some other quality of life issues that come up while working which are mildly annoying but not in “replace immediately” territory.

• What country are you in? USA
  • What are you using the system for? Scientific computing which is mostly CPU, not GPU, intensive. Hard to say exactly what I need here. For serious stuff, I can use a cluster, but it’s nice to be able to run things locally and prototype quickly. Some gaming
  • What's your budget? $1000 plus or minus a few hundred dollars. If there are good marginal returns to spending a bit more I’m comfortable with that, or if the performance returns compared to spending are poor near my budget point I'm obviously happy to spend less.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? R, Stan, and a small assortment of related languages tools. My non-expert impression is that the only consequence of this is that it makes springing for 32GB of RAM more attractive because R keeps all data in memory. I also think I’ll dual boot because scientific computing life is easier on Linux, but I haven't spent much time thinking about this yet.
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? My current monitor’s resolution is 2560x1440 with a 60Hz refresh rate. I might consider getting a second monitor (separate budget $500). As for performance, I'll take a small step above it runs.

What kind of Scientific computing (ie programs used etc)? I haven't edited the post because we don't have benchmarks for Zen 3, the 3070, and to a lesser extent the AMD 6xxx series of GPUs.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health

MikeC posted:

What kind of Scientific computing (ie programs used etc)? I haven't edited the post because we don't have benchmarks for Zen 3, the 3070, and to a lesser extent the AMD 6xxx series of GPUs.

Simulations and bootstrap replications coded in R and Stan (Bayesian statistical programming language), and I do some work in VowpalWabbit (ML/reinforcement learning library). These are all CPU-intensive and, to my knowledge, don't really utilize GPU computation. There are good gains to parallelizing across cores. I wouldn't say I depend on running things locally for work because I have access to a computing cluster, but it's nice to avoid when possible. I'll often run a simulation with a few hundred or a few thousand repetitions locally while iterating through designs and testing before doing the final big run on the cluster. Using the most recent project I worked on as a reference, a hundred runs will take ~20 minutes on my current laptop using 4 cores.

Also, I hope I didn't come across as accusatory about the post not being updated. I interpreted the post not being updated to mean that now would be a good time to wait a few months if you're able to, but I'm so out of the loop I wasn't sure if I was reading too much into it. In a vacuum, I'd build a computer in the next month or two whenever a relatively light work week/long weekend comes up. Taking context into account, I could wait 3-6 months without much pain on my end. With what Kingnothing was saying, it sounds like waiting for a few months might be the right route to take.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Simulations and bootstrap replications coded in R and Stan (Bayesian statistical programming language), and I do some work in VowpalWabbit (ML/reinforcement learning library). These are all CPU-intensive and, to my knowledge, don't really utilize GPU computation. There are good gains to parallelizing across cores. I wouldn't say I depend on running things locally for work because I have access to a computing cluster, but it's nice to avoid when possible. I'll often run a simulation with a few hundred or a few thousand repetitions locally while iterating through designs and testing before doing the final big run on the cluster. Using the most recent project I worked on as a reference, a hundred runs will take ~20 minutes on my current laptop using 4 cores.

Can you quickly read over these 2 threads and see if they pertain to you? I only play games and make random lovely youtube videos so I don't know the software you are talking about. Just want to confirm that your work will scale across many cores and you won't top out at some point since these users seem to indicate that you can run into cases with low CPU core utilization. VowpalWabbit seems to use 2 threads only though? Once again I don't use it, just some quick googling.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62527902/rstan-very-low-cpu-utilization

https://github.com/stan-dev/rstan/issues/158

https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/2017/06/16/speed-parallelizing-stan-using-message-passing-interface-mpi/

If the answer is yes and your Stan stuff definitely scales with cores, at around 1000 dollars you could probably assemble a 3900x (12 core SMT) with 32-64 Gigs of Ram before GPU, storage and case. If you need a GPU to game with and it is important to your build, we can scale back the CPU to make room for a non-trash tier video card. Tell us the resolution and Hz of the monitor along with the types of games you want to play (AAA, indie, Witcher/Skyrim Mod Infinite) at target settings.

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Also, I hope I didn't come across as accusatory about the post not being updated. I interpreted the post not being updated to mean that now would be a good time to wait a few months if you're able to, but I'm so out of the loop I wasn't sure if I was reading too much into it. In a vacuum, I'd build a computer in the next month or two whenever a relatively light work week/long weekend comes up. Taking context into account, I could wait 3-6 months without much pain on my end. With what Kingnothing was saying, it sounds like waiting for a few months might be the right route to take.

Not at all, I just think it is a bad time to buy unless you literally have no computer at all until the CPU and video card market shakes it self out. *It is a good time* to start sketching out your requirements and likely build parts so you can start watching PCPartpicker to watch for pricing trends or sales so you can evaluate a good time to pull the trigger and max out your dollars.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
dumb question here but I'd hate to blow this cash on nothing

Following the advice of this thread I built a system two years ago with the intent to upgrade it down the line. With cyberpunk coming up the time is now

I have a 4-core i5-4590 @ 3.30 GHZ

Looking to get an i7-4790 @ 4.4

when looking at socket size, they both end in 1150. my specs say FCLGA 1150, the store page just says LGA 1150. Guessing its the same stuff? I'm like 90% sure but would hate to be wrong

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Willfrey posted:

dumb question here but I'd hate to blow this cash on nothing

Following the advice of this thread I built a system two years ago with the intent to upgrade it down the line. With cyberpunk coming up the time is now

I have a 4-core i5-4590 @ 3.30 GHZ

Looking to get an i7-4790 @ 4.4

when looking at socket size, they both end in 1150. my specs say FCLGA 1150, the store page just says LGA 1150. Guessing its the same stuff? I'm like 90% sure but would hate to be wrong

The motherboard manufacturer will have a list of compatible CPUs for each model.

e: I assume you mean the i7-4790K, the non-K really isn't worth getting.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 11, 2020

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

The motherboard manufacturer will have a list of compatible CPUs for each model.

e: I assume you mean the i7-4790K, the non-K really isn't worth getting.

aaaah thanks for the K distinction. Dug my old manual out of the closet and it looks like the I7 4790K is as good as i gets for this mobo' which is fine for me.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Asema posted:

last time i built a computer was 2014 and then i built one a month ago and i was totally blown away at how it had somehow gotten even easier. cases in particular seem to have improved drastically

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Hello thread. I have a 3090 (not 3080) gpu en route, and plan to go with 5900x amd (if I can get one on launch) on an x570 msi motherboard (currently a 3900x).

Power calculators recommend 598-640w. I have a year old EVGA 750gtx P2 Platinum power supply. How likely am I to destroy my equipment / trip the breakers? If it matters I wouldn’t plan on overclocking beyond the normal cpu / gpu boost modes. System has 6 fans and 3 SSD’s.

Should I just bite the bullet and go with an 850W or 1000w power supply and sell this one before I break it?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Verviticus posted:

last time i built a computer was 2014 and then i built one a month ago and i was totally blown away at how it had somehow gotten even easier. cases in particular seem to have improved drastically

You and I could've been making this exact same post. I built a system in 2014 and 2018 and I couldn't believe how much easier it was.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I noticed that looking at cases. The mid-price/cheap cases from good brands looks like the stuff that'd cost a premium four or five years ago.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Verviticus posted:

Its funny to think back to my first non “dell” computer case I got around 2005. I thought I was set for life.

https://silentpcreview.com/lian-li-pc-101-aluminum-can-be-quiet/

No bottom fans, no top fans. Computers go on the floor and people might spill drinks on them. :colbert:

Fast forward like 15 years and you have the totally different o11 dynamic from lian li. A glass box that holds fans, radiators, and a massive GPU.

If only I had unlimited money to fill one with few 360 radiators and a dozen a12x25 fans.

:allears:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I used the same case for like 10 years and when I went to build my ITX build I was blown away that modern computers didn't have disk drives.

EDIT:

This was the first case I ever bought

https://techreport.com/review/4771/antecs-lanboy-case/

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 12, 2020

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013
so if I wanted to upgrade to a ryzen 5 3600 as part of my new pc build, is the expectation that those will likely drop in price after the release of zen 3 in november? should I wait until then to get everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I'm getting ready to put a PC PartsPicker list together, but for now I'm stuck on what case/form factor to go with.
Any thoughts on the following options?
I'm in Japan so the prices are all wonky here. I'll put the prices in both JPY and USD, they include tax and shipping.

If I go m-atx I'm looking at the Meshify C (8873 yen / 84.13$) + NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM x2 (4796 yen / 45.47$ for a pair) using the stock 120 for exhaust (Total: 13669 yen / 129.61$)
Stepping up to full ATX I can get the Lancool Mesh 2 Performance stock fans (11800 yen / 111.88$), this is definitely the most cost effective option but the case is massive and heavy for a Japanese apartment and I don't like the aesthetics.
Finally there's the Be Quiet 500dx that comes with three Pure Wings 2 fans. The case is expensive here at (16664 yen / 158$) but the 3 fans retail for (1580 yen / 14.98$) each. I could mentally subtract the cost of those fans to make the price of the case hurt less, but the Pure Wings 2 are probably not as good as the Noctua's I'd put in the Meshify C, no idea how they would compare to the stock Lancool Mesh 2 fans.

In terms of aesthetic preference, I would rank them 1) 500dx White, 2) Meshify C, and 3) Lancool Mesh 2.
I should also say Phanteks cases don't seem to be available here locally without paying through the nose by importing them.

I'm going to go with an RTX 3070 when they become available, so the m-atx form factor makes me a little nervous.

TIA if anyone can offer their opinion.