Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Hunter2 Thompson posted:

i wrote it myself. Learning this was an transformative experience. I went from thinking "our elections have problems" to "our elections are un-democratic" in about one or two hours. Maybe it'll help others do the same.

yeah, it sucks to find out but it’s absolutely true. the votes of people in more rural states tend to count more than residents of more populous ones.

republicans benefit from the electoral college and voter suppression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I get tired of hearing about the electoral college because dealing with that is like 20 imaginary steps ahead.

You know what you have to do in order to eliminate the electoral college? you have to loving win elections!!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

President Beep posted:

yeah, it sucks to find out but it’s absolutely true. the votes of people in more rural states tend to count more than residents of more populous ones.

makes u think

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Fabricated posted:

I get tired of hearing about the electoral college because dealing with that is like 20 imaginary steps ahead.

You know what you have to do in order to eliminate the electoral college? you have to loving win elections!!

trying to go to the moon by climbing higher in the tree. while also advising others not to reflect on that plan.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

makes u think

haha! wrong again!

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

President Beep posted:

they dont just benefit from it its the only reason they exist anywhere outside of the senate.

a 6-3 Supreme Court will lay the legal ground work for the next century of increasingly blatant stolen elections until the waters rise and swallow us all. all while keeping us distracted with abortion rights. lol.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 45 minutes!

Fabricated posted:

The Pennsylvania GOP is already openly discussing invalidating the general election due to 'fraud' and sending faithless electors to the EC.

Like, the plot is in the open and no one is trying to hide it lmao.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

power botton posted:

they dont just benefit from it its the only reason they exist anywhere outside of the senate.

a 6-3 Supreme Court will lay the legal ground work for the next century of increasingly blatant stolen elections until the waters rise and swallow us all. all while keeping us distracted with abortion rights. lol.
The funniest part of that is if the Dems do in fact wash the Republicans in this election it's trivial for them to pack the courts and eliminate the problem.

Packing the courts is very realistically in their grasp but they won't do it because of some bullshit respect for norms, and the democratic party's crippling fear of being responsible for anything

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

Fabricated posted:

The funniest part of that is if the Dems do in fact wash the Republicans in this election it's trivial for them to pack the courts and eliminate the problem.

Packing the courts is very realistically in their grasp but they won't do it because of some bullshit respect for norms, and the democratic party's crippling fear of being responsible for anything

Turns out you can't meaningfully play chess with an opponent who insists on throwing the chessboard at you and jamming the pieces up their own rear end

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Pennsylvania GOP is already openly discussing invalidating the general election due to 'fraud' and sending faithless electors to the EC.

i saw someone posting about this elsewhere and i assumed it was just a conspiracy theory, because that's absolutely insane. like, scorched earth end of american democracy variety nuts

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Hunter2 Thompson posted:

i wrote it myself. Learning this was an transformative experience. I went from thinking "our elections have problems" to "our elections are un-democratic" in about one or two hours. Maybe it'll help others do the same.
My "transformative experience" was back in 2004. Everyone was concerned about bad voting machines and Diebold and stuff. The amount of effective disenfranchisement happening via gerrymandering and other tricks was worse than straight up rigging ~20% of the vote.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

god, the democrats effing suck.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im sure everyone will be out in the streets for biden when that happens

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

infernal machines posted:

i saw someone posting about this elsewhere and i assumed it was just a conspiracy theory, because that's absolutely insane. like, scorched earth end of american democracy variety nuts
In the end they probably won't do it because the GOP already is trying to unhitch their star from Trump, and it becomes pretty awkward if Trump loses by a margin large enough that Biden STILL wins the EC without Pennsylvania- which is looking more and more likely.

ShadowHawk posted:

My "transformative experience" was back in 2004. Everyone was concerned about bad voting machines and Diebold and stuff. The amount of effective disenfranchisement happening via gerrymandering and other tricks was worse than straight up rigging ~20% of the vote.
I worked for my county's clerks office through college and worked elections for about 10 years and my conclusion looking at the voting machines was that anyone who thinks you can just programmatically "hack the vote" by flipping some bits is an idiot when doing that and getting away with it is a billion times harder than just making sure the people you don't want to vote don't even make it to the machines in the first place.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 12, 2020

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/11/what-if-trump-refuses-concede/616424/

quote:

There are endless happenstances in any election for lawyers to exploit. In Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, not far from Wolfe’s Philadelphia experiment, the county Republican committee gathered surveillance-style photographs of purportedly suspicious goings-on at a ballot drop box during the primary. In one sequence, a county employee is described as placing “unsecured ballots” in the trunk of a car. In another, a security guard is said to be “disconnecting the generator which supplies power to the security cameras.” The photos could mean anything—­it’s impossible to tell, out of context—but they are exactly the kind of ersatz evidence that is sure to go viral in the early days of the Interregnum.

In Pennsylvania, three Republican leaders told me they had already discussed the direct appointment of electors among themselves, and one said he had discussed it with Trump’s national campaign.

“I’ve mentioned it to them, and I hope they’re thinking about it too,” Lawrence Tabas, the Pennsylvania Republican Party’s chairman, told me. “I just don’t think this is the right time for me to be discussing those strategies and approaches, but [direct appointment of electors] is one of the options. It is one of the available legal options set forth in the Constitution.” He added that everyone’s preference is to get a swift and accurate count. “If the process, though, is flawed, and has significant flaws, our public may lose faith and confidence” in the election’s integrity.

They're not hiding their intentions at all.

The Luzerne County ballot kerfuffle was a deliberate attempt to throw the sort of shade on the state's election to justify this poo poo btw, and we're going to get more stuff like that in the coming weeks.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

god, the democrats effing suck.

that cant be right. its the republicans, whom are bad. maybe you should check again?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/11/what-if-trump-refuses-concede/616424/

They're not hiding their intentions at all.

The Luzerne County ballot kerfuffle was a deliberate attempt to throw the sort of shade on the state's election to justify this poo poo btw, and we're going to get more stuff like that in the coming weeks.

lol. i really need to stop thinking things like "no, that's too far beyond the pale" when it comes to america

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i’d honestly be surprised if anyone itt didn’t think the dems were centrist (at best) milquetoast shits.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

lol. i really need to stop thinking things like "no, that's too far beyond the pale" when it comes to america

They can't *legally* do it but the GOP owns the judiciary

by the way, the 2000 election was stolen by the Supreme Court deciding that counting all the ballots in Florida would cause 'irreparable harm' to the Bush campaign

it was meant to be farcical on it's face

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

They can't *legally* do it

by the way, the 2000 election was stolen by the Supreme Court deciding that counting all the ballots in Florida would cause 'irreparable harm' to the Bush campaign

it was meant to be farcical on it's face

have you tried voting your way out of it, op?

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
The sheer number of people who expect laws and precedence to save us despite laws and precedence being ignored over and over is appalling.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Trump, for everything he has done- has revealed the cheat code to America's governmental process, which is to quite literally ignore everything and do whatever you want and say that you're doing it outloud instead of hiding it. The concealment of activities is more scandalizing to the American public than whatever it is you actually do.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Trump, for everything he has done- has revealed the cheat code to America's governmental process, which is to quite literally ignore everything and do whatever you want and say that you're doing it outloud instead of hiding it. The concealment of activities is more scandalizing to the American public than whatever it is you actually do.

we had a mayor up here a decade ago who did this. his brother now runs the province i live in. a lot of his poo poo eventually got overturned or walked back, but the damage was done and the original projects long since canceled, services cut, etc.

turns out you can just do whatever and maybe someday the legal and civic infrastructure will bend back, and maybe it just won't

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Trump and the GOP got a federal court decision that said that House of Representatives’ subpoena power is unenforceable because no legislation enforces it for gently caress’s sake. Just a completely insane ruling on par with saying the House can’t draft legislation because they haven’t drafted legislation saying they can.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

fart simpson posted:

have you tried voting your way out of it, op?

have you tried doing something about it instead of posting?

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

Blinkz0rz posted:

have you tried doing something about it instead of posting?

Don't worry, we can vote our way out of this, it's worked so well for the past forty years

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
this thread sucks because no one iit is wrong about the problems but the only way to actually solve any of them is through long protracted struggle which is entirely at odds with the way american society is structured

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

for example of how hosed the judiciary is, take a look at texas. in july, gregg abbott issued an order allowing extended early voting at satellite offices across the state. the voting supervisors also set up these satellites as drop off spots for mail in ballots. knowing that democratic people are going to vote by mail more, on october 1st, abbott issued another order citing voting integrity that mail in ballots could only be dropped off at the central county supervisor's office. this means in some counties with over a million and a half voters, every single person who wants to drop off their ballot to ensure it arrives on time will have to go to one office and wait in line to verify identity etc. note that people can still vote in person at satellite offices and the transportation/security of vote by mail ballots and in person ballots is identical.

a federal judge held the order to be unconstitutional and issued an injunction against the secretary of state ordering that all counties be allowed to collect mail in ballots at the satellite offices. he had to dismiss the case against the governor as the fifth circuit has already forced him to do the same in a previous case ruling that because the governor only has the power to issue but not enforce these executive orders, that he's immune from suit under the principle of sovereign immunity.

a three judge panel of trump appointees at the fifth circuit issued a stay of that injunction so the october 1st order is back in force.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Don't worry, we can vote our way out of this, it's worked so well for the past forty years

go run for office my dude

politics sucks. either accept it and live a comfortable life in blessed ignorance or do something about it but constantly pointing out how bad it is doesn't do anything to help

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

Blinkz0rz posted:

this thread sucks because no one iit is wrong about the problems but the only way to actually solve any of them is through long protracted struggle which is entirely at odds with the way american society is structured

Yeah, none of this is anything new and you and I both know it, so let us be miserable and complain about it here.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

the deck is stacked against meaningful progress at every possible level

no one here will ever change any of that short of doing something extremely violent

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Blinkz0rz posted:

the deck is stacked against meaningful progress at every possible level

no one here will ever change any of that short of doing something extremely violent

mitch mcconnell and donald trump have literally stacked the judiciary with sycophants that are appointed for life. the only way a federal judge leaves the bench is if they get bored (rare - but it happens) or they want to make millions openly as 'of counsel' somewhere instead of making their money under the table via standard republican bribes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Blinkz0rz posted:

The real fun if you are cursed enough to care about politics is yet come if Biden just wins by a huge margin that bypasses all of the potential bullshit.

If he wins in a walk and Trump doesn't just barricade himself in the White House (which he won't do I don't think because he's a massive loving wimp- I think he's just setting himself up so he can claim he isn't a loser) and we end up with President Biden- the thing that's gonna be fun to see is every #resist lib and most normally disengaged Americans just hitting the snooze button on politics and disengaging again. Libs care about Trump because he has forced politics into their lives to the point they quite literally cannot disengage- their desire isn't for some nominally progressive society. Their desire is to not have to care about politics, and Biden is a perfect vehicle for that. Generic racist old white dude who'll politely, quietly extinguish the rest of our welfare state instead of bulldozing it into the ground fast enough to make the poors riot while being so stupid he's an ever-present worry in the back of your mind.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 12, 2020

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

Fabricated posted:

The real fun if you are cursed enough to care about politics is yet come if Biden just wins by a huge margin that bypasses all of the potential bullshit.

If he wins in a walk and Trump doesn't just barricade himself in the White House (which he won't do I don't think because he's a massive loving wimp- I think he's just setting himself up so he can claim he isn't a loser)

What he wants doesn't matter, he's a distraction while the GOP gets what they want and in the end if they want one party rule he'll go along with it.

He isn't in control, McConnell is.

The GOP is a top down party. Strategy and messaging are discussed on conference calls every day, everyone falls in line, and the talking points are disseminated to the voting base via Hannity and Fox News. Listen to what the rank-and-file chuds say, because it's going to be verbatim from Hannity and Carlson the night before.

The chuds have been saying "we can never allow another Democrat president because he would undo the good Trump has done" for a few years now. They aren't coming up with that on their own, it's a direct statement of intention from the Republican Party.

The law only matters if people in power enforce it, and the Republicans hold all those levers.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

What he wants doesn't matter, he's a distraction while the GOP gets what they want and in the end if they want one party rule he'll go along with it.

He isn't in control, McConnell is.

The GOP is a top down party. Strategy and messaging are discussed on conference calls every day, everyone falls in line, and the talking points are disseminated to the voting base via Hannity and Fox News. Listen to what the rank-and-file chuds say, because it's going to be verbatim from Hannity and Carlson the night before.

The chuds have been saying "we can never allow another Democrat president because he would undo the good Trump has done" for a few years now. They aren't coming up with that on their own, it's a direct statement of intention from the Republican Party.

The law only matters if people in power enforce it, and the Republicans hold all those levers.
I know everything is hosed up but if Biden pretty overwhelmingly wins I don't think the GOP is just gonna say "no" and reinstall Trump

They will go "oh well", jettison Trump, and count on the judiciary to maintain their legal gains until they can just run a Cotton/Hawley ticket and win in 2024 on the platform of "Medicare For White People only"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

read settlers you absolute muppet

from what i saw of the summary it agrees with me. all white people in the us are useless for the revolution and will actively harm it. they must be prevented from resisting by being dispersed among the third world, where their complete ignorance of local language and customs will prevent them from navigating their way back into a bloc and resisting world communism. this will decolonize north america, giving it back to the native peoples and to the Black nation.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:prepop:

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

Fabricated posted:

I know everything is hosed up but if Biden pretty overwhelmingly wins I don't think the GOP is just gonna say "no" and reinstall Trump

They will go "oh well", jettison Trump, and count on the judiciary to maintain their legal gains until they can just run a Cotton/Hawley ticket and win in 2024 on the platform of "Medicare For White People only"

I think that the rhetoric has changed pretty drastically since Obama was elected and the GOP has absolutely gone 100% into the idea of single party rule while using racism as a method to justify it to their voting base.

The consensus among Republicans and their voters is that any will to power other than their own is illegitimate because black man / socialism / atheism / whatever. The rank and file don't come up with that on their own, they're told to feel that way.

Prior to Obama there was the sense that the two parties wanted what was best for America and just had different ideas about how to arrive at that point. That's completely vanished over the past decade and been replaced by the leader of the GOP treating anyone that didn't vote for him as an enemy combatant and blue states as occupied territory.

They've pretty openly declared what they think America is, and it isn't us.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

looking forward to hunkering down in our left wing enclave once the civil war really gets going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

carry on then posted:

from what i saw of the summary it agrees with me.

lol