Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks, I’ll see if I have the energy to do that one after this ends and complete that path down the saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Screened Cemetery Man for friends last Thursday and it was a big hit. Tonight I’m gonna screen Brain Damage. Hopefully that goes well. Here’s a list of potential hits I’ve gathered if we decide for a third one. None of these I’ve seen, so if there are more surefire crowd pleasers let me know:

The Brain (1988)
Black Sabbath (1963)
Robot Monster (1953)
Mystic in Bali (1981)
The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires (1972)
I'd go with any of those except Black Sabbath and Robot Monster (unless there's a lot of drinking happening, in which case Robot Monster could be fun).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

6 is a weird one because its got 2 cuts. The studio release that just ages is terribly and doesn't feel much like a Halloween movie at all and a producer's cut that I still haven't seen but is supposed to be more true to the Carpenter spirit if still a bad movie.

But your instinct to stop there and skip H20 and Resurrection is correct.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Screened Cemetery Man for friends last Thursday and it was a big hit. Tonight I’m gonna screen Brain Damage. Hopefully that goes well. Here’s a list of potential hits I’ve gathered if we decide for a third one. None of these I’ve seen, so if there are more surefire crowd pleasers let me know:

The Brain (1988)
Black Sabbath (1963)
Robot Monster (1953)
Mystic in Bali (1981)

Black Sabbath and The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires are both really really good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

Wtf put it on google drive

i can generally foot the $12 and vimeo is a lot less of a pain in the dick to share things with people on than google drive.

also i'm pretty sure i lost the source file so i'd have to re-download it from vimeo, if they allow me to, and gently caress that noise.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The Brain (1988)
Black Sabbath (1963)
Robot Monster (1953)
Mystic in Bali (1981)

also, Mystics in Bali and 7 Golden Vampires are your best potential pulls here

Mystics in Bali is The Seventh Curse levels of insane

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

STAC Goat posted:

6 is a weird one because its got 2 cuts. The studio release that just ages is terribly and doesn't feel much like a Halloween movie at all and a producer's cut that I still haven't seen but is supposed to be more true to the Carpenter spirit if still a bad movie.

But your instinct to stop there and skip H20 and Resurrection is correct.

Yeah I have the ‘producers cut’ in the list, so it’ll be a new experience of the movie I can’t even remember watching ha.

I only ever saw H20 in the cinema as a kid, and don’t think I ever made it to Resurrection despite having a copy. Maybe I’ll watch through them up one day for completions sake, but I’m more likely to do the Rob Zombie ones I skipped out on with no real expectations. Need to do III too, just today was a Myers day.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I have the ‘producers cut’ in the list, so it’ll be a new experience of the movie I can’t even remember watching ha.

I only ever saw H20 in the cinema as a kid, and don’t think I ever made it to Resurrection despite having a copy. Maybe I’ll watch through them up one day for completions sake, but I’m more likely to do the Rob Zombie ones I skipped out on with no real expectations. Need to do III too, just today was a Myers day.
H20 and Resurrection are basically their own continuity away from the Carpenter/Akkad films so snark aside it makes sense to put them in a different category. They're also just thematically completely different. H20 is worth seeing for Curtis (or at least was before Halloween '18) but its a Kevin Williamson/Scream movie and Resurrection is just a rejected Jason script. Now that there's a better Curtis return/recontinuity I'm not sure I'll ever bother with H20 again.

Zombie's Halloween II is definitely worth watch, and in turn makes his Halloween worth watching. Zombie starts unsure if he wants to reinterpret it or homage Carpenter but once he does his own thing is good and very different.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

STAC Goat posted:

Resurrection is just a rejected Jason script.

this is severely downplaying how dumb and fun Resurrection is

that's not a good movie but it's a bad movie that i deeply love

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Resurrection is just a rejected Jason script.
Man a Survivor/Big Brother style show with a bunch of sexy older teens and twenty somethings having to spend a week in the infamous Camp Crystal Lake actually sounds like a stupid fun time and has an internal logic that Resurrection really never has.

EDIT: Friday the 13th Part XI: Jason Live!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There were rumors about a found-footage F13 but nothing ended up happening before the franchise got derailed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As much as I dislike Jason the relative lack of dumb rear end cheap Jason movies over the last 20 years has always surprised me. Cranking out a found footage one during that fad seems obvious. Someone's really protective of that copyright.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TOOT BOOT posted:

There were rumors about a found-footage F13 but nothing ended up happening before the franchise got derailed.

Adam Green got offered it and he was like wtf no.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I will make the found footage f13. someone give me the money and i'll write the script, cast it, shoot it, edit and premiere it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I actually don't think a pure found footage F13 would be that good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

it would be good if Jason was POV the entire time because he found a go pro and strapped it to his hockey mask.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No human alive can make a F13 FF work

Richleau
Sep 25, 2020

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

also, Mystics in Bali and 7 Golden Vampires are your best potential pulls here

Mystics in Bali is The Seventh Curse levels of insane

I second Mystics in Bali. It's amazing!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CelticPredator posted:

challenge accepted.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQRW0RM4V0k

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

I only ever saw H20 in the cinema as a kid, and don’t think I ever made it to Resurrection despite having a copy.

I not only saw H:Rez in a cinema, I had the entire theatre to myself. That was an experience.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CelticPredator posted:

The kikiki song is diegetic. That sound just happens around Jason and the characters in the movie can hear it.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Gripweed posted:

The kikiki song is diegetic. That sound just happens around Jason and the characters in the movie can hear it.

Just mask it as a weird sounding bird call in the woods. Boom, I’ll take my writer’s credit for Friday the 13th Part XI: Camp Blood.

Also lol at renaming the town Forest Green in Jason Lives. It’s been like 15 years at most since the murders but everyone memory holed that 43 (I just checked the kill count) people got slaughtered up at the summer camp and surrounding area.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gripweed posted:

The implication of the F13 game was kind of this.

A billion years ago, I made an argument that one of the segments in OG V/H/S is actually about how Jason can't work in found footage because his very nature is sort of unreal.

I think outside of just doing a corny reality TV show take, it could be cool to have a Friday the 13th that involves found footage. Like a group of college students recover a tape from 1985 of a bunch of teens visiting Crystal Lake and being slaughtered. And they investigate. So, you can some found footage creepiness and use it to play with the 80sness you expect from the franchise, but still have your traditional Jason poo poo.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Timeless Appeal posted:

I actually don't think a pure found footage F13 would be that good.

A pure found footage film might not work, but what if it was a Mockumentary instead?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

A pure found footage film might not work, but what if it was a Mockumentary instead?
Something like WNUF Halloween Special where it's just reporters at the local news station going over the events of Part II, III, and IV would be something.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Timeless Appeal posted:

The implication of the F13 game was kind of this.

A billion years ago, I made an argument that one of the segments in OG V/H/S is actually about how Jason can't work in found footage because his very nature is sort of unreal.

I think outside of just doing a corny reality TV show take, it could be cool to have a Friday the 13th that involves found footage. Like a group of college students recover a tape from 1985 of a bunch of teens visiting Crystal Lake and being slaughtered. And they investigate. So, you can some found footage creepiness and use it to play with the 80sness you expect from the franchise, but still have your traditional Jason poo poo.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Something like WNUF Halloween Special where it's just reporters at the local news station going over the events of Part II, III, and IV would be something.

Could possibly incorporate both. Going from how my call center co-workers acted, modern civilization did not exist pre-Internet. So, going from that base, a found VHS tape could start some curiosity that leads to tracking down local news station coverage. Depending how much they research and what's found online, that could lead to 'let's check out that spooky old camp'. From there it can go standard movie style or they rig up cameras for more of a found footage-esqe angle.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Timeless Appeal posted:

WNUF Halloween Special

This is on my list for this month, and all I know about it is the premise (pretending it's an 80s news broadcast, complete with commercials etc.) but I'm super stoked to watch it. Are there other movies in a similar vein out there?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't like WNUF but Ghostwatch was the movie I was hoping it would be like.

I should rewatch Ghostwatch.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Berzerker posted:

This is on my list for this month, and all I know about it is the premise (pretending it's an 80s news broadcast, complete with commercials etc.) but I'm super stoked to watch it. Are there other movies in a similar vein out there?

Ghostwatch has a similar premise and its way better in my opinion. It doesn't have fake commercials but instead it was presented as an actual live news broadcast on television.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was in the exact same boat and watched the producers cut 2 weeks ago. I think it might be the worst movie I’ve ever seen. Paul Rudd was insufferable and I can’t believe we was able to make a career out of acting after that performance. They also try to explain Michaels actions and clean up loose ends to part 5 which are both unforgivable. The only reason anyone should ever have to endure that movie is because it’s Pleasence’s final performance.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

When I google Ghostwatch, it says it's on Shudder, but when I search Shudder for it, I can't find it. I guess this is a :canada: issue. Well, if I find somewhere to watch it, I will.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

I actually don't like WNUF, but I know other people really dig it so hopefully you'll have a better experience.

I do remember watching this as a kid though and loving it! Being seven years old and watching it as your dad just stumbles on it while flipping through the channels is probably the ideal way to watch.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Could possibly incorporate both. Going from how my call center co-workers acted, modern civilization did not exist pre-Internet. So, going from that base, a found VHS tape could start some curiosity that leads to tracking down local news station coverage. Depending how much they research and what's found online, that could lead to 'let's check out that spooky old camp'. From there it can go standard movie style or they rig up cameras for more of a found footage-esqe angle.
So, which of us is starting the Kickstarter?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Just send me the money ok. I’m already at work.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The found VHS F13 meta broadcast about the killings is such a loving good idea. It's such a good idea that I'm now sad I'll never see it.

My ideal version would be: a news station broadcasts a live retrospective on a Friday the 13th about the historical killings. Halfway through, Jason shows up and starts killing station members and the camera crew follows the events live as he kills everyone at the station as a found-footage live broadcast.

The Berzerker posted:

When I google Ghostwatch, it says it's on Shudder, but when I search Shudder for it, I can't find it. I guess this is a :canada: issue. Well, if I find somewhere to watch it, I will.

Google's results (and JustWatch and pretty much everyone else's) are often out of date, don't take region into account, or are just flat-out wrong because the availability for every movie is scraped by bots and data entry folks rather than provided by the services themselves.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 12, 2020

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

The Berzerker posted:

https://archive.org/details/Ghostwatch

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I always forget to check archive, even after referring several friends there for Possession. Thanks, I will add it to the watch pile!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

The found VHS F13 meta broadcast about the killings is such a loving good idea. It's such a good idea that I'm now sad I'll never see it.

My ideal version would be: a news station broadcasts a live retrospective on a Friday the 13th about the historical killings. Halfway through, Jason shows up and starts killing station members and the camera crew follows the events live as he kills everyone at the station as a found-footage live broadcast.
You could probably blend the Ki-Ki-Ma-Ma-Ma into the inevitable static when the feed goes down after Jason kills the last cameraman.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

feedmyleg posted:

This would be so amazing, there has to be a part early where they bumble into some extremely easy way to obliterate Jason permanently but one of the characters is like Cronenberg in Jason X and is all "Destroying Jason at this time would be irresponsible!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Rob Zombie himself could make a FF Friday the 13th movie and I still wouldn't watch it