Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Made the CI cookies(again) someone posted a page or two ago. drat this is good. Browned butter kicks rear end

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

cocoavalley posted:

The recipes I found online have fudge that is made with chocolate chips and doesn't taste like Berger's. So I ended up picking the recipe with the cookie we liked the best and using a never-fail fudge as the topping. I'm sure actual fudge would be better, but looking at the ingredients on a package of Berger's, I don't think they make real fudge either.

I'm from Baltimore. I don't know much about the recipe, but I do know that the company was complaining that they wouldn't be able to make them anymore if they weren't allowed to use trans fats, if that's any help in identifying the "true" ingredients.

EDIT: I cookied.

I'm really pleased with how these turned out. Sometimes they come out flat and sometimes they keep a nice thick shape, and I've never been able to figure out why -- I always use cold butter, I've varied whether I refrigerate the dough before shaping and baking, it doesn't seem to matter. I was skimming this thread looking for inspiration on what kind of cookie to make (before settling back on one of my go-tos) and I read an early post from Flash Gordon Ramsay about how you should finish working in the flour by hand because overworking the dough can cause flat cookies; I'll have to keep doing it this way to test, but it sure worked great this time.

guppy fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 15, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

100% rye chocolate chunk

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jesus h

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Chocolate strawberry walnut biscotti

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

toplitzin posted:

100% rye chocolate chunk

Nice! I also happened to make 100% whole rye cookies today. Potato quality because I tabletted. Milled the flour yesterday.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Not cookies, but I made a peach upside down cake this weekend and it's super good.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Ben Nevis posted:

Not cookies, but I made a peach upside down cake this weekend and it's super good.

Recipeeeeee

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Scudworth posted:

Recipeeeeee

It was from Joy of Cooking. The intro text mentions apricot, plum and peach variations, so I basically just subbed enough peaches to cover the bottom of my pan. This appears to be the recipe. I've C&P'd and lightly edited to bring it it accordance with the version I used. It uses the "extra gooey" version from JoC, which I did as well. The regularly gooey one is 3tbsp butter and 3/4c brown sugar at the top of the recipe. It doesn't specify, but I'd bake it on a cookie sheet or something, some of the caramel was super close to sloshing out when I took it out of the oven.

CLASSIC PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE

PG TESTED

What other authority to seek but "Joy of Cooking"? The cake was in its heyday when Irma S. Rombauer wrote this recipe for the original cookbook. Leftover pineapple and juice can be included in a smoothie along with some berries, banana and vanilla yogurt.

One 20-ounce can unsweetened sliced pineapple, or one fresh pineapple, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch slices (Subbed: Peaches quartered to cover bottom of a cast iron pan. It took about 6 medium)

6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

2 large eggs
2 tablespoons buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

6 tablespoons butter, softened
6 tablespoons buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a cast iron pan, over very low heat, stir half the butter until melted but still creamy. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until combined. Spread evenly over the bottom of the pan. Arrange peach wedges over the sugar mixture. Reserve.

Whisk together eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; set aside. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add 6 tablespoons butter and 6 tablespoons buttermilk. Beat on low speed just until the flour is moistened.

Increase the speed to medium, or high speed with a hand-held mixer, and beat for exactly 1 1/2 minutes. The batter will be stiff. Add one-third of the reserved egg mixture at a time, beating for exactly 20 seconds and scraping the bowl after each addition. Scrape the batter over the fruit in the pan and spread evenly.

Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Loosen side with a small spatula. Invert onto a serving plate.

Makes 8 servings.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Not cookies per se, but pastry, but I don't see a pastry thread so hope it's ok to ask here. I made puff for the first time over the weekend and it turned out better than I expected. One problem I had is my sweet filling overflowed the pastry in the oven (they were open top). Is there a way to prevent that from happening in the future?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Carillon posted:

Not cookies per se, but pastry, but I don't see a pastry thread so hope it's ok to ask here. I made puff for the first time over the weekend and it turned out better than I expected. One problem I had is my sweet filling overflowed the pastry in the oven (they were open top). Is there a way to prevent that from happening in the future?

Don't fill it so much next time. Not a lot you can do otherwise. If your base puffed high as well, you could dock it to prevent the part being covered with filling from rising as much.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Baked off the rest of the rye cookies today and fried the last of the doughnut dough for a new neighbour welcome box:

Also tossed in some coffee and salted vanilla caramels.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Miss contributing to this thread. I’ve been so off of baking since March, I used it as an outlet to share w coworkers and now we’re WFH :(

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Boywhiz88 posted:

Miss contributing to this thread. I’ve been so off of baking since March, I used it as an outlet to share w coworkers and now we’re WFH :(

Same! I love making baked goods, but now that I can't share them I've been reluctant to make sweets, we don't want to have that much temptation around. I did end up making another batch of the Berger's cookies just before stay at home started, doubling the topping this time. My husband sent pics to his family in Baltimore to joke that he'd found Berger's in Texas :)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My son picked some blueberries* around the house today, we turned itr into a blueberry pie

*Technically they are bilberries.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Birthday cake with wild raspberries, bilberries and strawberries, frosting is whipped cream, this was a very nice and low sugar cake:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Birthday cake with wild raspberries, bilberries and strawberries, frosting is whipped cream, this was a very nice and low sugar cake:

yum!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
COVID ruined sharing but dammit, I'm not stopping. Did 4 instances of baking in the last couple weeks.

KEEP AT IT, FOLKS!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Can't help but quarantine if you can't fit through the door. :btroll:

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

I made some cookies! I've never made cookies before except helping my mom roll/shape/cut dough at Christmas when I was younger, so I decided I'd try to start off with something fairly basic. Went with Rolled Sugar Cookies from Joy of Cooking (2019 edition), with half of it as described in the recipe and half of it with some cardamom added.

The recipe from the book is pretty straightforward, it's a ~1:2:3 sugar:butter:flour cookie with an egg added in. Or if you prefer, it's 1:2:4:6 egg:sugar:butter:flour cookie. Plus a bit of vanilla, salt, and baking powder.

Since it's got one egg in it, and I wanted to do add cardamom to half of it, I altered the directions slightly.

1) Cream together 225 grams of butter (2 sticks, 8oz) and 130 grams of sugar (2/3 cup).

I had some difficulty with this, and I don't think I got it quite right. I'm pretty sure the butter was too cold when I started (noncontact thermometer said ~75 - 78 degrees F), despite me leaving it sitting out in my ~80 degree kitchen for like an hour. I was also using sugar from a bag marked "Cane Sugar" which has pretty large grains, and I don't think that helped much. I used a newly purchased cheap electric hand mixer for this. I did get the butter to lighten in color and quite a bit airier than when I started, but it didn't quite look like the pictures online of creamed butter, and it was still a bit gritty feeling to the touch when I squeezed it between my fingers. After fighting with it for a while I figured I had it good enough.

2) Add in 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract. Optionally add lemon zest.

I did not have lemons, so I did not add the lemon zest.

3) Beat in 1 large egg.

Easy enough. Mixture gets a bit stiffer and smells pretty nice at this point.

4) Stir in until blended: 315 grams of AP flour (2.5 cups), 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder.

So, obviously I can't have done this as the recipe states if I want to add something to half of my cookies. So I mixed up half of the dry ingredients in two separate bowls (157g flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp baking powder) and in one bowl I added 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom (volume based on "additions to icebox cookies" found a few pages later in the book). I weighed out the creamed butter mixture into two equal portions, and then mixed my half bowls of dry ingredients into those.

At the end of it, I had two separate ~330 gram portions of forbidden mashed potatoes:

5) Put in the fridge for between 1 and 24 hours.

I squashed them both down on parchment paper, folded the paper up into squares, slid the squares into ziplock bags, and stuck them in the fridge overnight.

The next day, I pulled them out of the fridge and continued on to the single most frustrating part of the whole experience: shaping and baking.

6) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Fortunately, my oven actually heats to the temperature I set it to, as confirmed by my oven thermometer on the middle rack.

7) Roll dough out 1/4 inch thick and arrange on baking sheets with parchment (or greased baking sheets, but who wants to deal with the extra mess?)

Rolling the dough out, cutting shapes, and getting the shapes on to the baking sheets was an absolute nightmare. I realized about halfway through that my kitchen is just too warm (with the oven on, it's around 82 degrees Fahrenheit; I'm pretty sure this is causing me issues with my yeast bread as well). When I first pulled the dough out it was too cold to work. I let it sit for a while until I could roll it out without too much trouble, and then it became too warm, making it very difficult to remove the cut shapes without absolutely destroying them. After the first two batches baked, I rolled the dough out and put it in the freezer until it was ~50 degrees F, then pulled it out and cut and place shapes as quickly as possible, putting the sheet pan into the fridge and the rolled dough back in the freezer once it got too soft to deal with (~75 degrees F). I got pretty quick at it by the end, but it still took me 2 or 3 rotations through the freezer to fill a sheet up.

8) Bake 10 - 12 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through. Let cool on sheet for 2 - 3 minutes then transfer to cooling rack.

An absolute dream, after the nightmare of trying to cut and place cookies on my baking sheet. The first batch I let go a little too long (6 minutes, turn, 6 minutes). The second batch I didn't leave in quite long enough (5 minutes, turn, 5 minutes). The third and fourth batches were just about perfect (5:30, turn, 5:30). You can see the results of my growing experience with both the cutting and the baking time below:

The first batch on the right, the last batch on the left. Two batches of squares, two of circles. You can clearly see the shape problems I had with the squares, I got that sorted out with the circles. The first batch of squares looks a bit better, shape-wise, because the dough hadn't warmed up very much, but the second batch is pretty rough looking. You can also see the timing in the oven pretty clearly in the squares.

The squares are the cardamom ones, and the circles are plain sugar. I cut these at ~1.75" instead of the 2 - 3" that the book recommends.

Flavor-wise, they're pretty good. The sugar ones are alright as they are, they taste reminiscent of sweet danish butter cookies. I'm not crazy about the texture (I usually prefer chewy cookies), but it's what you get with the ingredient ratios and it's what I was expecting. They're fairly dry but they have a bit of chew, and they don't produce tons of crumbs when I bite them in half. The cardamom ones need something else, they taste sweeter and almost a bit astringent (?) due to the spice. The lemon zest might have helped there, but I'm new to baking cookies and would greatly appreciate if anyone had any suggestions.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

For that type of cookie if you're just wanting them to be round or square not any cute animal shape or whatever you'd need a cookie cutter for you can roll the dough up into a log before you chill the dough over night.
The next day use a knife to cut rounds off the log and place on your sheet pan. If it gets too warm pop the whole log back in the fridge.

Optinally roll the whole log in your raw sugar before slicing to get a sparkly crunchy edge on each cookie.

Dried fruit or nuts or chocolate chips or even dried herbs can be added to that standard cookie dough for an endless variety of options.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I made a croissant dough for the first time ever. It ended up being delicious, but the pastries were loving huge, like started out the size of my fist and ended up slightly smaller than my head. Is there a good way to keep that poo poo nice and tight while it's proving/baking? I didn't mind it overall, but it looked a bit of a mess even though it tasted great.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

There's a standard size for croissants used for competitions and such.

You could bake them sooner if you don't want them that big but you'd lose out on the flakiness thar makes a croissant a croissant.

Standard size is about 4-5 inches at the base and 8 inches long around 1/4 inch thick You can always cut your triangles smaller.

Make pain au chocolat next!

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

I have to shill these, they are such an addictive treat. The salt and coffee bring out the chocolate flavor even more!

https://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/08/salted-mudslide-cookies/

Don't let them go too long, they will firm up quite a bit after you pull them from the oven. The trickiest part is to get the right amount of salt on and have it stick, too. I haven't quite figured out a good way to do that. I may have to try sprinkling the salt over before putting them in the oven or halfway through baking.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Anyone have a good recipe for Chinese walnut cookies? They're small, shortbready in consistency, have a bit of walnut on top, and as much as I love the ones the Chinese bakery in my area makes, driving almost two hours round trip for them isn't especially feasible.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Griddle of Love posted:

I have to shill these, they are such an addictive treat. The salt and coffee bring out the chocolate flavor even more!

Don't let them go too long, they will firm up quite a bit after you pull them from the oven. The trickiest part is to get the right amount of salt on and have it stick, too. I haven't quite figured out a good way to do that. I may have to try sprinkling the salt over before putting them in the oven or halfway through baking.

Here is the clear solution

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Griddle of Love posted:

Putting salt on before baking is the way to go.
Use a finishing salt like a fleur-de-sal or maldon salt. Something with big and crunchy crystals.
It'll adhere to the cookie during baking and salt can't burn at the temperatures cookies are baked at.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thumposaurus posted:

There's a standard size for croissants used for competitions and such.

You could bake them sooner if you don't want them that big but you'd lose out on the flakiness thar makes a croissant a croissant.

Standard size is about 4-5 inches at the base and 8 inches long around 1/4 inch thick You can always cut your triangles smaller.

Make pain au chocolat next!

Thanks! I was actually making these, so they came out delicious but definitely don't look nice and neat like the photo.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Thumposaurus posted:

Putting salt on before baking is the way to go.
Use a finishing salt like a fleur-de-sal or maldon salt. Something with big and crunchy crystals.
It'll adhere to the cookie during baking and salt can't burn at the temperatures cookies are baked at.

The only worry is the salt sinking into the cookie too much. And yeah, flakes are the way to go. The grains of coarse salt are too big and make it too salty and too crunchy for my tastes, and table salt size would just look stupid or get absorbed.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Griddle of Love posted:

The only worry is the salt sinking into the cookie too much.

This will taste identical to it sitting on top

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Scudworth posted:

I want my cookies to be pretty and I'm not going to stand here and be shamed for it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scudworth posted:

Not exactly. With it sitting on top the salt hits your tongue first and gives a different experience than if it's inside/dissolved/etc. Plus you get the texture of the salt crystal, which can be lost of it sinks and gets partially dissolved in the cookie.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Not exactly. With it sitting on top the salt hits your tongue first

Wait... do you flip cookies over to put them in your mouth? Top salt is hitting my tongue last. Dead last.
It's getting chewed up before it hits my tongue.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

66/33 rye pump chocolate chip

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Do cakes and other sweet doughthings count here as well? Fiending for a beginner's cream filled donut recipe

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Just Post Them Nuts

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

toplitzin posted:

66/33 rye pump chocolate chip

Yo gimme the recipe this looks incredible.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Kalsco posted:

Yo gimme the recipe this looks incredible.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/rye-chocolate-chip-cookies-recipe

I also add a bit of malted milk powder and a good dose of instant espresso.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

toplitzin posted:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/rye-chocolate-chip-cookies-recipe

I also add a bit of malted milk powder and a good dose of instant espresso.

I made this (forgetting to add the malted milk powder and espresso) tonight and let me tell you, this is the chocolate chip cookie recipe I've been wanting to find. The rye flour makes a stupid amount of difference in the final product. Thank you! Will add malted milk and espresso later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
We used malted milk powder in our cookies when I baked for a cafe and it really is the secret ingredient you never knew you needed.