Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I've actually done the opposite; for years now I've used my 54* for pretty much everything around the green but I was practicing hitting a 100 yard shot with my 50* and really liked it so I've been chipping with it too lately and it's been working well. Seems like I am making better contact with it which is helping me get some more spin despite flighting it lower.

The one short game shot that I don't practice enough is a chip and run with like a 7i or 9i or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Keyser_Soze posted:

I like Rocco's basic old school 56° only stuff too, since I've been only using a 56° these days.

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/rocco-mediates-short-game-tips-and-method-success

This is rad

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I'm a trash golfer but chipping is what im decent at. I only use a 56 and my swing thought is always to get the ball 2-3' past the pin. With that swing thought and the predictability of only using one club i'm still trash but i haven't chunked a chip all year. :shrug:

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I really liked that Rocco video, I’m gonna try some of what he was talking about because my chipping is way too handsy.

I also want to play a round with Kisner now, he seems like he’d be fun to hang around.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
This ain’t no hobby fellas

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
First round of my trip at Porto Cima is in the books, it was an uninspiring 83, with a few penalties and two 3 putt pars.

Really need to figure out my putting a bit, it was atrocious today.

Played another 9 holes afterwards and shot a 39 on the front, which is by far the harder of the two 9s.

The best development has been my 3 wood, I’ve never hit it so good. Off the tee, off the fairway, didn’t matter. There’s a few holes out here that don’t fit my eye with driver, so I’m going to start hitting more 3 woods.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

In other news, might sell some whiskey and buy a g400 driver, after my failure to do so about a month ago.

Are you still looking to sell some whiskey? I've got a friend who is a huge whiskey/bourbon drinker and his 40th birthday is coming up. Got anything special?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

mattfl posted:

Are you still looking to sell some whiskey? I've got a friend who is a huge whiskey/bourbon drinker and his 40th birthday is coming up. Got anything special?

I’ll have to look at what I have left when I get home! I don’t know if I have anything that special left, but I will check.

Anything you are looking for in particular? Scotch or bourbon?

Shot 74 today!!! Much better ball striking today and finally sunk a few putts. Best round I’ve ever played at this course by about 5 strokes I think.

Highlight of the day was the 15th hole, which is just an absolute beauty of a hole.

It’s a 520 yard par 5, but it plays downhill once you get to like ~240 out, and it was playing downwind today.

I hit an absolute bomb of a drive, super high, got up in the wind and just flew. Flew the 250 yard marker easily and just went forever. GPS on the cart clocked it at 347 yards, which is the longest I’ve ever hit.

So there I am, ~170 yards from the pin, thinking it’s going to play maybe a full club short, but pin is tucked in the back. I have the worst mental block on this hole by the way, any time I have a chance to hit it in 2, I block it WAY right, like 50 yards right. NOT TODAY THOUGH.

I take my time lining up, and ... chunk it like 80 yards. Son of a bitch. So then I’m a little under 100 out, and hit a beautiful spinny lob wedge that goes over the hole and spins back to about 8 feet. Make the putt for maybe the weirdest birdie I’ve ever had, it was an absolute roller coaster of emotions.

Here’s a picture of the hole from yesterday, this was moments before I pushed one like 40 yards right...again.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 10, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

I’ll have to look at what I have left when I get home! I don’t know if I have anything that special left, but I will check.

I’d be interested in Scotch!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I didn't expect liquor chat to be in here, but I'd definitely be interested in scotch! Maybe a bourbon, depending on what you have.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Played my 2nd round of 18 ever and broke 100, playing on a course that isn’t a goat track makes a big difference

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

Shot 74 today!!! Much better ball striking today and finally sunk a few putts. Best round I’ve ever played at this course by about 5 strokes I think.

Highlight of the day was the 15th hole, which is just an absolute beauty of a hole.

It’s a 520 yard par 5, but it plays downhill once you get to like ~240 out, and it was playing downwind today.

I hit an absolute bomb of a drive, super high, got up in the wind and just flew. Flew the 250 yard marker easily and just went forever. GPS on the cart clocked it at 347 yards, which is the longest I’ve ever hit.

So there I am, ~170 yards from the pin, thinking it’s going to play maybe a full club short, but pin is tucked in the back. I have the worst mental block on this hole by the way, any time I have a chance to hit it in 2, I block it WAY right, like 50 yards right. NOT TODAY THOUGH.

I take my time lining up, and ... chunk it like 80 yards. Son of a bitch. So then I’m a little under 100 out, and hit a beautiful spinny lob wedge that goes over the hole and spins back to about 8 feet. Make the putt for maybe the weirdest birdie I’ve ever had, it was an absolute roller coaster of emotions.

Here’s a picture of the hole from yesterday, this was moments before I pushed one like 40 yards right...again.

Bourbon for sure. Anything high end/rate type stuff. He’s a big Blantons fan but has a lot of that. So something along those lines.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

torgeaux posted:

On another note, played 9 with three ladies in their 60s today, had a great time. Averaged five shots off tee among them on every hole, and never lost pace with the group in front of us. One par between them in 27 holes, and they had a great loving time, and so did I.

Had someone flip me the bird for the first time in at least ten years on the course. Short par 4, group behind us hit into us as we were in front of the green. No fore, no acknowledgement. When he came to his ball, I was on the next tee, made eye contact and spread my hands in the universal "what the hell" sign, and he flipped me off. Can't figure how he felt he was the wronged party. If I thought the old gals would back me up, I'd have started something.

Played with a couple of the ladies again. Turns out, one of them waited on the green at the final hole and both confronted the guy and made a complaint to the clubhouse. Love these ladies.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bryson and His Brand are still very much on their bullshit

https://twitter.com/fantasygolfpod/status/1315050508885929986

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
People who like that guy must see something I don’t.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Roid rage.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

Cameraman should have said that if Bryson wasn’t so fat he wouldn’t need to take so many pictures to get all of the angles

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Cameraman should have said that if Bryson wasn’t so fat he wouldn’t need to take so many pictures to get all of the angles

:hai:

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
BDC did nothing wrong

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Popero posted:

BDC did nothing wrong

What a BAD take

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Popero posted:

BDC did nothing wrong

Nah

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Popero posted:

BDC did nothing wrong

John Daly account spotted.

PS I’d you’re really JD come smoke darts and chat poo poo with us Popero isn’t JD

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Matt Wolff is the Anti-Bryson

He'd be like, "Hey, can you get my good side? Sick, dude!"

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fee9zb-YCTA

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

But really, the guys a professional athlete that regularly gets mad/annoyed that people are watching. Grow up. He’s able to compete for fat stacks every weekend because of the viewers. Then on the weekdays he can make ads to try and get someone to buy his dumb puma hat. What exactly is his ideal coverage?

Koepka needs to start trolling him on a weekly basis like he was, that was funny. Dude that only
golfs for a paycheck making fun of the guy writing math formulas for his game lol

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 12, 2020

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
UFC 256: BDC v. Koepka , who’s your money on?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

UFC 256: BDC v. Koepka , who’s your money on?

Still not sure Fat Bryson has recovered from Koepka dunking on his rear end earlier this year:

https://twitter.com/EPatGolf/status/1217488284944883714

https://twitter.com/BKoepka/status/1217811166891794434

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

DJExile posted:

Still not sure Fat Bryson has recovered from Koepka dunking on his rear end earlier this year:

https://twitter.com/EPatGolf/status/1217488284944883714

https://twitter.com/BKoepka/status/1217811166891794434

This is awesome, golf needs more actual rivalries. Tiger/Phil used to be fun even if it was probably really overblown.

Too many nice guys, or guys who just seem like they don’t have any emotions.

I know that is probably by design on their part to play their best, but wish more guys were ‘on tilt’ out there.

It seems like you have:

Nice guys who are just like best friends and truly enjoying being pro golfers and the lifestyle that affords them, Fowler, JT, etc.

Emotionless dudes like DJ

‘Fiery spaniards’ aka Jon Rahm who is hilarious to watch cause he gets really mad.

Young new guys who seem quiet so far but are ridiculously good.

And then we have our lord and savior Bryson. Who at least is making the tour interesting even if he’s kind of a cock.

I’m fully on the Bryson train, can’t wait to see him hit driver/PW on number 2, 13 and 15 at Augusta this year. He’s the golf equivalent of a baseball player that legit just tries to hit a homer in every at bat, who then breaks the HR record and everyone complains that he’s not playing the game the ‘right way’.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Bryson is golfs Barry Bonds, got it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

dangling pointer posted:

Bryson is golfs Barry Bonds, got it.

I wouldn't go that far. Barry Bonds was a once in a generation, locked in Hall of Famer, before he got on the juice.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Man, after 99 holes in 4 days in absolute perfect weather, having played pretty decent golf the whole time, I’m just itching to get back out on the course.

Check the weather forecast for St Paul for the next two weeks annnnd :suicide:.

I am buying another putter off of someone on Facebook today though, one of the newer Scotty Cameron GoLo 3’s, looks to be in pretty good shape and the price is right at $165.

And I think this winter I’m going to get a new set of irons. The mizuno JPX your line seems to be calling my name, I think I may go back to forged irons after 10 years with my Ping S56’s.

I won’t throw out the S56’s though, as it’s amazing how well these ping irons have held up.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

If that scotty is in good shape that’s a pretty good deal.

My playing partner got whatever the new JPX forged irons were in may this year. They’re really nice. Definitely give them a try. I’ve been keeping an eye on what I can get for me ping G400 irons, if I cave and get the mizunos... In reality though I’m still happy with my pings and had a good season so far with them though.

The past week I picked up a pack of Mizunos 4 piece ball to try out, pretty happy with them so far for only $35. They make a really satisfying sound coming off the driver too.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Here it is:

Pretty great shape to be honest for the price. Rolls wonderfully!

Also I think I messed up the picture on my earlier post. So here they are again, from Porto Cima in lake of the ozarks.

2nd shot on 15:

Tee shot on 17, you hit onto a peninsula, so your tee shot and your approach shot are over water. Awesome hole:

Man, if you’ve never played on zoysia fairways before...it’s amazing. The ball sits up nicely on every shot, really easy to get great contact and especially easy to spin the ball. I spun a lob wedge back like 45 feet on one hole. It was kind of cool, except the ball hit about two feet from the flag and left me a 45 footer, I threw putted.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Found a picture of the approach shot on 17 too, such a cool hole! It’s a screenshot from a video, but gets the job done.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
My company gives us $800 to put towards fitness stuff every year and I just found out it counts for launch monitors so I'm definitely getting a simulator next year. I'd still have to buy the screen, mat, netting, and a projector but it's happening for sure.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Definitely do it. $800 is ~50% of a SkyTrak. A buddy of mine just got one threw up a net, mat, and iPad in his back yard and he loves it.

My setup is a lot more elaborate, but I can't imagine not having it now.

In other news, I stumbled upon this really interesting data visualization for the Masters that someone put together with Radiant/Shiny: https://cjteeter.shinyapps.io/MastersGolf/

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Hey everyone, I checked my whisky stock and I don’t have a lot of unopened bottles left at the moment.

Sorry to get anyone’s hopes up, but the only unopened stuff I have are kind of my personal stockpiles of:

Aberlour A’bunadh batch 47
Glendronach 18(2019 bottling, ~23/24 years old)
Knob creek 15 year store pick

I have one unopened bottle of a blantons store pick from a store in SF, but those bottles are a pain to ship.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Simulator chat time, who here has built one? Was it BCRock?

I keep seeing skytrak recommended, but it’s 2 grand for the monitor before even getting turf/projector/screen.

Anyone have experience with anything else?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

DoctaFun posted:

I keep seeing skytrak recommended, but it’s 2 grand for the monitor before even getting turf/projector/screen.

I'm looking at putting one together too. There's nothing else under the Skytrak price range that's worth even using. You could get the Optishot but it's not even close to accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

DoctaFun posted:

Yeah, I have a TruGolf setup: https://trugolf.com/

That's sort of the mid-range in pricing for a simulator. Trackman and Foresight are the higher end and I've used both of those, as well as Full Swing and HD Golf.

Like Daric said, under that is really limited to SkyTrak and the new Flightscope Mevo+. Both of those MSRP for $2K, but are on sale constantly for ~20% less than that. You'll still need whatever hitting mat/net/screen/computer/iPad setup in addition to those to make it work, but you can piece together all of that for not much money.

Below that you can really only get something like the original Mevo or the Garmin thing for $400-$500 that are small launch monitors you can bring with you to a driving range or on the course to track a limited set of data.