Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Projectors these days (commercial at least) are coming with so many options it's great. My work runs the big Sony lasers and the brightness on them rules, instant start and the image adjustment on them is crazy good. The image warping for those awkward setups is a godsend.

That setup looks great, nice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Photex posted:

Just recently put the finishing touches on my basement office/home theater

went with a Polk 3.1 setup as I don't really have any space or place to mount rears speakers, was going to actually get a screen for this but the BenQ wall color match gets you VERY close and has plenty of advanced color options to further fine tune.

I see someone else has the MLB-LED Scoreboard :) How big is that LED matrix you're running?

Too bad it's looking like we won't get to use it this year :(

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Congrats on a nice TV!

TBH I think it looks a bit oversize in that room, but then I'm one of those guys still making do just fine with 42"...

I assume there are no kids in the house - if you ever plan to have kids over, better strap that sucker down to the bench with something. I assume the manual can tell you how. (IOW, looks to me like it's ready to tip over the front edge at any moment.)

I dont understand how someone would care enough to post in a super niche thread about AV setup but simultaneously not care about their own TV AND have strong opinions about other peoples TVs. You are a being of pure paradox (or maybe a boomer)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Taima posted:

I dont understand how someone would care enough to post in a super niche thread about AV setup but simultaneously not care about their own TV AND have strong opinions about other peoples TVs. You are a being of pure paradox (or maybe a boomer)

Pure paradox, the millenial boomer...

Nah I love this thread for the inspiration. One day I'll have a house and build a home theater, I'm saving up all these setup jpegs in my data warehouse meanwhile.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Best of luck sir :)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I figure if anyone has an answer, it'll be this group...

Does anyone have recommendations for a good home theater recliner? I'm moving in to a new rental, and building my home theater setup from scratch. I already have an idea for TV and entertainment center but I don't know much about recliners.

Right now I just need a single recliner ( :( ) although at some point I'll probably add a sofa.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!

Hughmoris posted:

I figure if anyone has an answer, it'll be this group...

Does anyone have recommendations for a good home theater recliner? I'm moving in to a new rental, and building my home theater setup from scratch. I already have an idea for TV and entertainment center but I don't know much about recliners.

Right now I just need a single recliner ( :( ) although at some point I'll probably add a sofa.

Fortress. Outstanding stuff.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

did a thing

(ignore the messy pillows)

cat tax

Speakers: homebrew AviaTrix attached to an SMSL98E amp
Media Center Thingy: Raspberry Pi running Raspbian with HiFiBerry DAC
Screen: 100" acoustically transparent screen
Projector: HT2050A
Couch: Costco 6 piece sectional
Cat: Lynx point siamese

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Wow. That's an incredibly attractive setup and cat!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Very nice, how are you liking the ht2050 I was on the fence with that one and the 671ST

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Knot My President! posted:

did a thing

This is awesome! I want to install a similar setup; huge screen for movies and otherwise it will GTFO. Staring at a TV/screen that is off all the time is just odd to me.

Great job. Really digging the viiiibe man

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Knot My President! posted:

did a thing

(ignore the messy pillows)

cat tax

I don't know what I'm more jealous of- your set up or your cat who won't chew up all your plants into shreds and vomit it up all over the house.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks guys :) glad you like it!

Re: HT2050A: I was on the fence about a projector since Ive only had experiences with my friends super janky ones from a decade ago. But I really had to make a call between that or a TV that takes up an entire wall. I went with Wirecutters recommended model because Ive trusted their judgment and havent been led astray in years.

Honestly, even with my limited experience, its as good as being in a theater. The colors are incredible (its hard to capture on camera due to it washing out the true reproduction of the screen). I am incredibly happy with how everything turned out

https://i.imgur.com/wzBSxUJ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/pyEQqKj.mp4

Edit: fixed links

Bioshuffle posted:

I don't know what I'm more jealous of- your set up or your cat who won't chew up all your plants into shreds and vomit it up all over the house.

Hes the good one my other one wont stop chewing on my Wandering Jews :argh:

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 12, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I need more plants.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Ah, I see your surround sound is working.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Where should I ask about the goon recommended UHD player? Figured I'd be good with a PS5 eventually but I think I heard it only supports 2 height speakers but I have 4. Also no Dolby Vision.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

Where should I ask about the goon recommended UHD player? Figured I'd be good with a PS5 eventually but I think I heard it only supports 2 height speakers but I have 4. Also no Dolby Vision.

I have the Sony X800 M2, works for me but my TV doesn't support Dolby Vision so I don't pay attention to that.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

New minimalist set up for new condo

Should have got something slightly wider but I'm still happy with the look.

Middle section is open in the back for console ventilation, don't fret.

65" LG CX, PS5, Xbox Series X, LG sk9y surround, Google nest hub max, Fetch box (Aus cable) pictured

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

65" LG CX, PS5, Xbox Series X, LG sk9y surround, Google nest hub max, Fetch box (Aus cable) pictured

Hows the Sk9y working out? Im an LG dealer but Ive never had so much as a brush with those soundbars.

Its a really pleasingly tidy, happy look. I wish I could do that sort of thing, but I really end up trying to find a neat way of going high-density within a space. You do it justice.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Discernibly Turgid posted:

How’s the Sk9y working out? I’m an LG dealer but I’ve never had so much as a brush with those soundbars.

It’s a really pleasingly tidy, happy look. I wish I could do that sort of thing, but I really end up trying to find a neat way of going high-density within a space. You do it justice.

Had some issues reliably connecting to the subwoofer wirelessly for a bit but it's good now. Sound is excellent. Having all sorts of connectivity issues with the extra back speakers but haven't really had the time to troubleshoot.

Wired systems definitely work more reliably but I don't have the patience for cords everywhere anymore.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

Had some issues reliably connecting to the subwoofer wirelessly for a bit but it's good now. Sound is excellent. Having all sorts of connectivity issues with the extra back speakers but haven't really had the time to troubleshoot.

Wired systems definitely work more reliably but I don't have the patience for cords everywhere anymore.

Im strongly pro-wire, but there are times when wireless is the only option. There are a handful or modestly priced, very reliable stereo wireless Tx/Rx systems. If youre interested Im happy to share.

Regardless the preceding paragraph, my compliments to how that turned out. Its relaxing just to look at.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Discernibly Turgid posted:

There are a handful or modestly priced, very reliable stereo wireless Tx/Rx systems. If youre interested Im happy to share.

Please do. :)

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

Violator posted:

Please do. :)

Any of these devices has its best chance of doing what you want it to do if you keep the transmitter away (within reason) from other wireless devices and you limit (again, within reason) the number/type of physical obstructions between the set. Remember that, even hardwired, Sonos has an underlying WiFi system that cannot be defeated, so you would be strongly advised against setting a Tx on top of or immediately next to one of their devices.

Top of my list and has never let me down is the Atlantic Technology WA-60 setup. Weve used these in some tricky situations. Theres a DC rowhouse in which earthquake damage led to the partial severing of one of the 14/4 cables that had been previously run for surround duty. The damage was juuuuuuust enough that with a little bit of volume over a few minutes the receiver would go into protection mode. We did not have the option to re-run speaker wires and the antique (we were not given a choice regarding actual, suitable AV furniture) being used as a wildly congested cabinet meant we were closer than ideal for the purpose of wireless audio transmission. Knowing that cheaper options wouldnt cut it we just reached for the Atlantic Tech and it worked flawlessly from the start. We concealed a small-ish Parasound amp within reach of the left surround/left rear height speakers and used the sensing input and never had another problem again. This row house is in the middle of the worst wireless congestion environment Ive ever experienced and we still didnt need to resort to the channel selection switches on it. I have, however, been able to use two sets of these in a single system without hiccups by getting physical separation of the Tx units and patiently trying the DIP switch combinations until I had a list of the settings that could work without trouble.

I havent tried the version that has a digital amplifier built into the receiver side. I imagine the amplification is sound and that there may be a modest penalty (no free lunch) to having the switching audio circuitry cuddled up with the Rx, but itd still be a lot better than placing the Rx right next to a BT or WiFi device.)

A bit less pricey is the SVS stereo wireless system. Same qualifiers as above apply here, but its worth getting replacement cables/connectors/adapters (depending how youre plugging into the Tx and Rx units) because of the inexplicably sloppy fit of the supplied wires. Maybe (just maybe) they know people are going to use their own stuff in 90+% of situations so they keep the accessories as cheap as possible on the assumption theyll be immediately discarded. Anyhow, even some simple Monoprice 3.5mm cables or adapters to your own cables will provide a much more confident, affirmative physical connection that wont feel in danger of slipping out at the first sign of a strong draft.

If you can track them down, the Monitor Audio set has also worked well and doesnt have the fitment issues of the SVS. They do seem to have been in short supply since their introduction, so weve not spent much time with them.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

What is the thing on the right? It looks like drawers but without any handles? So curious

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I imagine those are press to open doors. Give them a prod and they'll pop open enough for you to grab the door.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I imagine those are press to open doors. Give them a prod and they'll pop open enough for you to grab the door.

Yep, correct. Tv stand has two of them as well.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally got my giant rear end couch for my tiny rear end living room

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Thats a cool room

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Looks nice, how are the acoustics? Seems like you have a lot of hard surfaces. Maybe hang some paintings, throw down a rug and a tablecloth?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Looks nice, how are the acoustics? Seems like you have a lot of hard surfaces. Maybe hang some paintings, throw down a rug and a tablecloth?

No echoing at all. Giant couch and double fabric blinds seems to help.

We prefer the hard surface look aesthetically and due to dust allergies.

Edit: oh btw that coffee table lifts up, which is great for we dining room table challenged peoples.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 25, 2021

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

No echoing at all. Giant couch and double fabric blinds seems to help.

We prefer the hard surface look aesthetically and due to dust allergies.

Edit: oh btw that coffee table lifts up, which is great for we dining room table challenged peoples.

If you do art, get canvas. Not framed glass or plastic

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cornjob posted:

If you do art, get canvas. Not framed glass or plastic

Or support a textile artist and hang a spiffy quilt or tapestry

Perhaps you even have somebody in your family who could help you in that regard and give you something with aesthetic, sentimental, and sound absorbing qualities. Art quilts can be pricey

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I got myself some RGB lights for behind my TV during Black Friday, and it certainly negates the blank space behind my TV. Pretty pleased with my setup now:

- LG 55" C1
- PS2
- PS3
- PS5
- Sony UBP-X800M2 4K ultra HD Blu-Ray player
- Sony HT-CT390 soundbar
- Sony PS-LX310BT turntable
- Edifier R120T bookshelf speakers
- Xbox Series S, Apple TV 4K and an Apple Homepod are also there, but hiding

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pitwar posted:

I got myself some RGB lights for behind my TV during Black Friday, and it certainly negates the blank space behind my TV. Pretty pleased with my setup now:

- LG 55" C1
- PS2
- PS3
- PS5
- Sony UBP-X800M2 4K ultra HD Blu-Ray player
- Sony HT-CT390 soundbar
- Sony PS-LX310BT turntable
- Edifier R120T bookshelf speakers
- Xbox Series S, Apple TV 4K and an Apple Homepod are also there, but hiding

that wall doesnt need mood LEDs to negate all the blank space.

it needs a projector screen

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

that wall doesnt need mood LEDs to negate all the blank space.

it needs a projector screen

Wrong it needs a bigger oled

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
You people and your neat living rooms clearly don't have kids :allears:

Here is my "AV and child care set-up"

BenQ 1080p projector, Onkyo 7.1 receiver barely too old to support ATMOS, pretty basic Polk 5.1 system (I think the front channels were $150 each, rear channels $50-80, $150 for the center and then I went for a somewhat nicer $250 sub?). Vinylz, which we actually listen to pretty frequently.

Projector is 5 years old and still going pretty strong; that picture was taken in morning daylight with zero curtains on any of our massive windows in this room, and I can't imagine ever going back to a non-projector setup. At the time I got this for $800, 4k 60" TVs cost the same. That is a 120" screen.

If you look at the upper wall to the right of the projector you can see brown conduit running along it. I have made some efforts at cable management. All that wiring has to get to a tech nexus out of view to the right that has a secondary NAT and a ShieldTV hooked up, which acts as plex client and server.

There's a Jurassic Park poster hidden under the screen, so my Sam Neill Poster Wall is 3/5 done. (Still need Merlin and a poster from the outback movie)

ShieldTV means I can stream games from my PC down here. I have another PC with a 3080 in it overlooking this space and I keep hemming and hawing about getting a Quest 2. Like I need 2 HMDs, I know, but this space would be great for wireless roomscale and eventually I'd do two player stuff.

I have tinnitus, wife has hyperacusis, so the 5.1 doesn't get too much of a workout. I had the place to myself a couple weeks ago so I watched Dune at 1AM with bass cranked loud enough to actually shake the room when the wurms showed up and stuff, and it was pretty great. Wish my wife was all about that bass, that bass, that bass and treble.... also, it's totally impractical to blast bass when kids are sleeping.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 5, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

77" LG C1 is new. Old stand, old everything else. Speakers are Gradient Revolution Mk3.

I probably need a new amp which understands 4K HDR. Currently using toslink which is not optimal because my PC's software equalizer can't touch encoded audio.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ihmemies posted:

77" LG C1 is new. Old stand, old everything else. Speakers are Gradient Revolution Mk3.

I probably need a new amp which understands 4K HDR. Currently using toslink which is not optimal because my PC's software equalizer can't touch encoded audio.

Intimidating

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Ihmemies posted:

sick speakers, love the look of them, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

you have $5k speakers and a $3.6k tv, why not wall mount the TV and get a decent rug?