Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s gonna be awesome when Weapon Durability returns and we get another 10,000,000,000 meltdowns about how frustrating and unfun it is, as the game goes on to be the highest selling Zelda of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

isn’t Michael Pachter that guy who is always wrong about everything, BOTW2 might be in trouble here

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Weapon durability was annoying at first in BoTW then I learned to deal with it and found the fun in it. Eh, whatever. I don't care about differences btween old and new versions of MM because I never played the first one.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Yeah durability means nothing when even a casual player like myself has more trouble with a full inventory of top tier weapons and deciding which barely used poo poo goes on the floor of a guardian shrine.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yeah durability means nothing when even a casual player like myself has more trouble with a full inventory of top tier weapons and deciding which barely used poo poo goes on the floor of a guardian shrine.

Seriously, I can't break my weapons fast enough anymore, I'm tripping over dozens of Royal and Lynel weapons.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Throwing a low durability weapon at a monster and watching it smash on its face for critical damage was loving great.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I think the main thing to remember is that nostalgia for a game is fine but series like Zelda have zero need for hard canon and just use the skeletal framework of 'our hero and the princess must defeat the ancient evil' and therefore each game is pretty much a self-encapsulated version of this story that is made for the current generation of players. Updating a game's mechanics for more recent hardware can be bad from a historical point of view but current players won't know the difference anyway. If you want to play the originals there is always using old hardware or emulation which is pretty good nowadays.

I dunno man, we can't be expecting people who weren't even born at a thing's original release to give a gently caress or even know about a popular thing from our older era. Like recently I saw a bunch of old farts like me getting up in arms about kids not knowing who the band KISS was. Why the gently caress should they know who those lovely idiots are? Just enjoy what you like and let other people enjoy what they like. It's not difficult.

edit: I have almost no nostalgia for N64 games because I found most of them to be barely playable. The SNES era was preferable to me because the artwork was much better. It wasn't until the GameCube that I felt that Nintendo games became aesthetically pleasing enough to play much of again, so there were a lot of N64 titles I just gave up on or never played. v:shobon:v

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 12, 2020

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Botw2 selling well seems like the most insanely obvious take possible. Don’t that’s the joke me.

even as a scrub I’ve got an inventory full of elemental and high power weapons by early midgame. Durability is only annoying on the plateau and immediately thereafter, and only if you’re not careful at all. I hope it comes back.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm past hating on the durability and onto hating on the indirect annoyance it causes, so much wasted time with every weapons chest because your inventory is constantly full of expendable weapons. Just give me a darn 'discard weapon?' option in the chest dialogue :argh:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Throwing a low durability weapon at a monster and watching it smash on its face for critical damage was loving great.

the weapon durability system becomes a lot more fun when you break free of the hoarder mentality and realize you should be throwing your weapons as soon as they show the warning that they're about to break

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm past hating on the durability and onto hating on the indirect annoyance it causes, so much wasted time with every weapons chest because your inventory is constantly full of expendable weapons. Just give me a darn 'discard weapon?' option in the chest dialogue :argh:
this is just part of the larger problem BotW has with most of its menus being unnecessarily cumbersome to navigate. seems like something they could easily improve for the sequel (and they should!!!)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Amppelix posted:

this is just part of the larger problem BotW has with most of its menus being unnecessarily cumbersome to navigate. seems like something they could easily improve for the sequel (and they should!!!)

Yeah, that's very Nintendo general, it's just the example that bugs me the most because it comes up so consistently. I feel like they must've intentionally ignored feedback because I can't imagine playtesters didn't complain.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Amppelix posted:

I feel like this stuff might partially stem from how they planned to use the Wii U tablet as the primary menu interface and e.g. it would've made it faster to quickly pop in and drop an item, maybe even do it on the fly when the dialog box is telling you your inventory is full. And so, when the second screen functionality was dropped, this sort of clumsiness remained as a bit of an artifact.

Of course, I'm talking out of my rear end and don't know if this had anything to do with it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

romanowski posted:

the weapon durability system becomes a lot more fun when you break free of the hoarder mentality and realize you should be throwing your weapons as soon as they show the warning that they're about to break

:hmmyes:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Screenrant is loving trash. They pushed an article spitballing about Black Panther 2 the moment it was announced Chadwick Boseman passed away.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zat posted:

I feel like this stuff might partially stem from how they planned to use the Wii U tablet as the primary menu interface and e.g. it would've made it faster to quickly pop in and drop an item, maybe even do it on the fly when the dialog box is telling you your inventory is full. And so, when the second screen functionality was dropped, this sort of clumsiness remained as a bit of an artifact.

Of course, I'm talking out of my rear end and don't know if this had anything to do with it.

drat, now I'm sad at remembering how perfect it was when games made good use of a constant second screen for maps/inventory but everybody still hated in the Wii U. I wish the Switch could somehow have that kind of functionality too, since it technically has its own screen.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Skrill.exe posted:

You can do exactly that. https://github.com/leoetlino/project-restoration

That said, the only reason people bitch about the changes to Zora swimming is because they used to zoom around the bay at max speeds for hours on end as children which is a reasonable thing to sacrifice imo

No it isn't. :colbert:

That and wild wild rolling around Termina Field and hopping around Great Bay as a Deku (when ice arrows froze any water LIKE THEY SHOULD) were great ways of pillocking around in-game when you didn't feel like doing anything useful.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I think the main thing to remember is that nostalgia for a game is fine but series like Zelda have zero need for hard canon and just use the skeletal framework of 'our hero and the princess must defeat the ancient evil' and therefore each game is pretty much a self-encapsulated version of this story that is made for the current generation of players. Updating a game's mechanics for more recent hardware can be bad from a historical point of view but current players won't know the difference anyway. If you want to play the originals there is always using old hardware or emulation which is pretty good nowadays.

I dunno man, we can't be expecting people who weren't even born at a thing's original release to give a gently caress or even know about a popular thing from our older era. Like recently I saw a bunch of old farts like me getting up in arms about kids not knowing who the band KISS was. Why the gently caress should they know who those lovely idiots are? Just enjoy what you like and let other people enjoy what they like. It's not difficult.

edit: I have almost no nostalgia for N64 games because I found most of them to be barely playable. The SNES era was preferable to me because the artwork was much better. It wasn't until the GameCube that I felt that Nintendo games became aesthetically pleasing enough to play much of again, so there were a lot of N64 titles I just gave up on or never played. v:shobon:v

the 3ds version is a fine way to play the game for the first time with a stable 30 fps and extra item buttons it just has a bunch of obvious issues and it's really silly how some posters get so defensive about them to the point that they're just pre-emptively like "Ugh you mentioned MM3D now THOSE PEOPLE are gonna come by and try to preach to us about how getting stuck on twinmold for twenty minutes isn't the best thing in the world and an objective improvement to the game experience"

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 12, 2020

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

none of the dumb changes in the 3DS version take away from what makes MM the best game ever made, except for maybe the boss fights (in particular gyorg and twinmold). ultimately imo I think the sane save system, better graphix, gyro aiming, and having more control over forwarding time makes the 3DS version the better version overall

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Runcible Cat posted:

No it isn't. :colbert:

That and wild wild rolling around Termina Field and hopping around Great Bay as a Deku (when ice arrows froze any water LIKE THEY SHOULD) were great ways of pillocking around in-game when you didn't feel like doing anything useful.

Instead of adding magic to swimming, they should have removed magic from rolling.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

SMH if you don't start every cycle with a nice cold refreshing chateau romani by the time you're going to great bay.

The limitation on ice arrows and deku spin slowdown are much more significant issues than the changes to swimming.

Also, in Breath of the Wild, I think it would benefit significantly from increasing the durability of earlygame weapons (like, the traveler's series especially) and decreasing the durability of lategame ones (especially the royal series).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

What's the difference between this and having weapons that don't break?

Also, it sucks that a lot of the lower tier weapons don't have higher level versions of them because drat it I want a top tier wooden sword and shield. Or give me allow me to find a stick that does the damage of a Lynel weapon.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I kind of want them to lean into the weapons-as-ammo thing for the sequel, just dressed up in a way that's palatable for the folks who can't help but hoard usables. Like maybe you can have the equivalent of normal arrows, shock arrows, and bomb arrows, but can be used for every weapon category rather than just bows.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

sigher posted:

What's the difference between this and having weapons that don't break?

Also, it sucks that a lot of the lower tier weapons don't have higher level versions of them because drat it I want a top tier wooden sword and shield. Or give me allow me to find a stick that does the damage of a Lynel weapon.

the forest dweller sword and shield are pretty decent, too bad there are only like four of the sword in the entire game.

but yeah it's a shame that there are some weapon types and styles that basically get completely outmoded by endgame.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Weapon breaking would be no issue whatsoever if they just added NPCs across Hyrule that could make the rarer weapons. A master Zora weaponsmith that you bring Iron and gems too to make elemental spears. A goron smith for Greatswords. A Gerudo for swords. A historian to make Hylian gear.

They already have the framework with Robbie making Ancient gear and the weapons of the champions. You'd be able to stockpile or replenish the weapons you want, making it much easier to use 'em till they break.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

akkristor posted:

Weapon breaking would be no issue whatsoever if they just added NPCs across Hyrule that could make the rarer weapons. A master Zora weaponsmith that you bring Iron and gems too to make elemental spears. A goron smith for Greatswords. A Gerudo for swords. A historian to make Hylian gear.

They already have the framework with Robbie making Ancient gear and the weapons of the champions. You'd be able to stockpile or replenish the weapons you want, making it much easier to use 'em till they break.

Piggybacking on this, maybe add a full on system to craft or repair gear from monster parts. That way people are forced to actually engage with combat, and you don't have to run to specific places in the world to replenish specific weapons (as long as you have the ingredients).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Going to the Koroks for Wooden weapons would own so hard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

akkristor posted:

I think that would make things worse because it would add a mental "Oh poo poo if this breaks I have a craft a new one, better save it for when I need it" hurdle.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
I 4 1 would miss the MM experience of playing the gamecube special-ed, my game grinding to a framerate halt, crashing and upon re-starting realising I must do snowhead again.

:geno:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

akkristor posted:

Rare/Elemental weapons respawn at Blood Moons, if you find places that have those weapons, like the Thunder Greatsword on top of the mountain right by the bird people tower, you can just mark it on your map. This is basically what you’re suggesting but with fewer steps.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Golux posted:

the forest dweller sword and shield are pretty decent, too bad there are only like four of the sword in the entire game.

You can always pick new ones up at that Korok trial, can't you?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RickRogers posted:

gamecube special-ed

I realize what you meant but I definitely read this differently at first :v:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

For weapon durability in Age of Calamity, regular weapons don’t have durability but iirc one of the clips showed someone picking up a Moblin’s weapon after defeating them and that weapon had durability. You also can’t keep them after the battle I think.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Just Andi Now posted:

Piggybacking on this, maybe add a full on system to craft or repair gear from monster parts.

skyward sword had this and it was the most tedious poo poo in the world

pretty telling that every single suggestion for "fixing" weapon durability is some cockwit nonsense that would make the game much worse

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Ultimately I think a lot of people just want to have unique weapons/items as a part of their Zelda experience. I think a good compromise is to have that sort of stuff in there (like the Hyrule shield which is for all intents and purposes unbreakable) for people that want it, while still having durability for people who want to have that extra layer of flexibility.

So yeah, maybe just have 1-2 unbreakable swords that you can find. That would make everyone ha...pp...y...?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok so the way the game works now:

I find a weapon I like
I use it
It breaks
I go back to where I found it and pick it up again

And this is somehow worse than:

I find a weapon I like
I use it
It breaks
I bring my broken weapon (which I assume is still taking up an inventory slot) to a repairman
I go hunt down 10 snails and 3 frogs and a sapphire
I go back to a repairman and they fix my weapon...

Like... don’t you see how much worse that is than what we have?

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok so the way the game works now:

I find a weapon I like
I use it
It breaks
I go back to where I found it and pick it up again

And this is somehow worse than:

I find a weapon I like
I use it
It breaks
I bring my broken weapon (which I assume is still taking up an inventory slot) to a repairman
I go hunt down 10 snails and 3 frogs and a sapphire
I go back to a repairman and they fix my weapon...

Like... don’t you see how much worse that is than what we have?

Your solution adds a bunch of unnecessary steps vs just going back and picking up the thing you like. Now if I could repair my weapon with your suggestion before it breaks that would be dope.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

New Hyrule Warriors stuff

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1316017181293867015?s=21

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

who the gently caress, agahnim?

edit: wait, is it vaati!??!?!????!!?!?!?! the orb in the head oh my god nintendo what are you doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

is that motherfucking vaati

EDIT: wait nah vaati has red eyes

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 13, 2020