Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
You can. I rebound Left bumper to click left stick and swapped it with normal turbo that way. Way better on the thumbs. It will change the change leader as well, but clicking left stick to switch isn't much difference.

ssmagus fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I just started a new run of CS3, and I selected the option to carry over crafts and orders but NOT levels, but it still had me at level 60 when I started the game proper. Has that happened to anyone else before? I just restarted the file and deselected and reselected that option again, I'll see what it does.

e: that did the trick. I sometimes forget how weirdly these games are programmed.

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 7, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

OK, Finally, got through CS2.

Is nightmare on CS3 doable? I want the trophy and it sounds like you can get everything in one run and I really am not interested in two playthroughs.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All CS games are, yeah.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

It's the same thing in every RPG ever:

Hit points are an abstraction. 90% of the things that "Hit" you don't actually hit you. "Spirit" is just the pilot regaining some of their focus, either on their own or with their partner's assistance.

Yeah, I imagine that the scenes where you fight some strong character(s) and "win" the fight but are shown to have lost afterwards are an abstraction of something along the lines of "your characters managed to dodge/guard against several attacks."

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Terper posted:

All CS games are, yeah.

No I mean, is it "beat your dick with a hammer hard" or is it "the beginning will be tough and then it's still easy as piss afterwards"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No I mean, is it "beat your dick with a hammer hard" or is it "the beginning will be tough and then it's still easy as piss afterwards"

You'll have to grind every enemy you see into Exp and use the quartz to earn double exp if you are doing it one playthrough. And you'll also need to know every dirty trick to break the game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Disagree with that. NG Nightmare is perfectly doable by just playing smart and exploiting the systems -- CS3 in particular with Sledgehammer...

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Disagree with that. NG Nightmare is perfectly doable by just playing smart and exploiting the systems -- CS3 in particular with Sledgehammer...
Sledgehammer can get you through most everything, but there's multiple boss fights where it isn't available. That was where I had the most trouble.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 8, 2020

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

it's the latter, and since you can change the difficulty after you start the game, there's really no reason not to try Nightmare

I started CS3 on Nightmare and turned it off after a couple hours because battles were taking too long for my tastes, but Hard mode ended up being piss easy

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Apraxin posted:

Sledgehammer can get you through most everything, but there's multiple boss fights where it isn't available. That was where I had the most trouble.

Yeah, chapter 1 is easily the hardest part of CS3. That can be mitigated somewhat by equipping HP2 on as many characters as possible. Adding 1200 HP to each character will let them take at least 1 more hit while adding 10 str or ats does... just about nothing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

it's the latter, and since you can change the difficulty after you start the game, there's really no reason not to try Nightmare

I started CS3 on Nightmare and turned it off after a couple hours because battles were taking too long for my tastes, but Hard mode ended up being piss easy

I'd be going for the trophy. i don't replay games if I can help it.

edit: jesus nightmare isn't nightmare, it's "hard" in that "i have to pay attention"

edit2: I really wish I could rebind turbo off the touchpad. I loving hate it here.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 11, 2020

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I don't know that I've encountered a game series like trails where you can't Google anything about it without being spoiled about 12 other things. I've known this for awhile and yet I keep googling stuff to refresh my memory or to find a map or whatever and being spoiled on something unrelated. I don't personally mind spoilers all that much but I can't help but wonder if I'd have enjoyed the game even more.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

it's certainly a game series that gently punishes you for not having played each of the games as it came out, or not being japanese and then referencing the two games that Falcom decided to not release in english because Cold Steel would sell better.

Yeah, there's a fan translation and a roundabout way to get a copy, but falcom still should get it pushed out into other languages.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly my understanding was always that it was a choice for XSEED between putting out Zero, a sprite based game (and then by extension Azure) on a dying system that would probably be stone cold dead by the time Azure got localized, or Cold Steel on two not dead systems. I love Trails but they really made the right choice for the series.

...and now thinking about that whole thing is just a big old bummer, although even if Falcom hadn’t told the guys who busted their rears to make Trails/Ys thrive to suck a big one I guess we’d still be in this situation since Sony hosed over XSEED good and proper.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Sony hosed over XSEED good and proper.

This is new to me: what happened? I'm aware of Falcom going with NISA 'cause cheap and "gently caress you we want money instead of quality/loyalty", but I wasn't aware that Sony decided to screw up XSEED as well.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Basically Sony clamped down hard on sexually suggestive material and iirc it was one of the Senran Kagura games that got hosed over real bad and lost XSEED a ton of money.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

This is new to me: what happened? I'm aware of Falcom going with NISA 'cause cheap and "gently caress you we want money instead of quality/loyalty", but I wasn't aware that Sony decided to screw up XSEED as well.

Senran Kagura is basically XSEED’s big money maker (JP audio only for whatever reason, not a JRPG so much less text to localize, titties, owned by Marvelous which XSEED is the US branch of) and Sony decided to get strict about censorship when one or the releases was pretty much ready, so it was a massive recall that forced them to downsize.

Like, I’m not familiar enough with the specifics of the content itself, but yeah that’s kind of inexcusable to just spring that on them that late given how well (re:terribly) XSEED preemptively self-censoring would have gone over.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Basically XSEED was thriving mostly off of localizing titty games featuring suggestively underage characters. (To the point XSEED was making 'they are 18' or 'ages unlisted' comments/ jokes) Sony clamped down on that and without titty game money or any big franchises to license things got rough.

There also was a lot of lovely fans who flipped out if they 'censored' anything, even things like 'hey guys the letters KKK have a different meaning in the US" so they couldn't get ahead of things.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sony made them change one aspect of the game which forced them into a last minute delay from before the holiday period to February.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh, oh yeah, I had completely forgotten that XSEED also localizes those kusoge hentai thingies.

Welp, I guess I'm gonna buy the Zwei games as a show of support. I imagine they are fun, but it's not like I have the time to even look at them.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I couldn’t wait for the geofront patch for Azure so decided to jump into CS1. In chapter four now and so far it seems like all Crossbell references are to Zero but how spoiled is Azure going to be for me? I will play CS2 after Azure since I read it takes place chronologically after Azure.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Eggnogium posted:

I couldn’t wait for the geofront patch for Azure so decided to jump into CS1. In chapter four now and so far it seems like all Crossbell references are to Zero but how spoiled is Azure going to be for me? I will play CS2 after Azure since I read it takes place chronologically after Azure.

Almost not at all. CS1 and 2 happen simultaneously with the Crossbell games, so the events of Azure don't even happen until CS2.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Welp, I guess I'm gonna buy the Zwei games as a show of support. I imagine they are fun, but it's not like I have the time to even look at them.

I couldn't get into Zwei I but Zwei II is fun, and XSEED localized them both with the same love as all their Ys and Trails games.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

King of Solomon posted:

Almost not at all. CS1 and 2 happen simultaneously with the Crossbell games, so the events of Azure don't even happen until CS2.

Okay, that’s good. I think I read something similar but then the first chapter of CS1 references endgame events from Zero so I was worried later chapters would get deep into Azure territory.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Eggnogium posted:

Okay, that’s good. I think I read something similar but then the first chapter of CS1 references endgame events from Zero so I was worried later chapters would get deep into Azure territory.

Chapter 5(?) of CS1 takes place at the same time as Azure Chapter 2, and Endgame Azure is roughly concurrent with about halfway-ish through CS2. CS2 also has an epilogue that is completely post-Azure.

E: And yeah, to be clear, in CS1/2 most of what you get is "Wow, what the gently caress is going on in Crossbell?" instead of "Let me detail the entirety of the plot thus far."

Artix fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 12, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
CS3 is the one that really gets into the weeds on basically spoiling everything that goes down in Azure, 1&2 are more surface level references that don't really tell you much specifically.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I really enjoyed Zwei 2. The combat is fun and there's a lot of bonus content to chew through and find, if I recall. When I played it back then to unlock all the content, I had to find some Japanese guides to find everything. There are a lot of pets to unlock and bonus arena battles (that are tough as nails and, I'm convinced, impossible without cheating).

Spoilered screenshots in case someone wants to play it and be surprised:

Question for anyone who knows: Did that costume/character in the first screenshot originate from Zwei 2 or something else? I recall seeing that character show up in Cold Steel as a plush.

I tried to get into Zwei 1 but I found it too difficult.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Ryuga Death posted:

I really enjoyed Zwei 2. The combat is fun and there's a lot of bonus content to chew through and find, if I recall. When I played it back then to unlock all the content, I had to find some Japanese guides to find everything. There are a lot of pets to unlock and bonus arena battles (that are tough as nails and, I'm convinced, impossible without cheating).

Spoilered screenshots in case someone wants to play it and be surprised:

Question for anyone who knows: Did that costume/character in the first screenshot originate from Zwei 2 or something else? I recall seeing that character show up in Cold Steel as a plush.

I tried to get into Zwei 1 but I found it too difficult.

I think I beat the bonus arena battles (especially with the shown enemy) but it was brutal. Hell if I remember how I did it, though, it's been years.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Nate RFB posted:

CS3 is the one that really gets into the weeds on basically spoiling everything that goes down in Azure, 1&2 are more surface level references that don't really tell you much specifically.

Broken record I know, but don't go into CS3&4 thinking the title is literal, go into it as a 4th arc that is a direct sequel to all 3 prior arcs. Its Crossbell 3 and Sky 4 too basically.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Eggnogium posted:

The Geofront patches will probably be a bit better, but the stuff that already exists for Azure is pretty good.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

where the gently caress do I get this chest??

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

where the gently caress do I get this chest??

later on

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah IIRC it's on Highway 2. It confused me for a bit too.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Y'all ready to have your minds blown?

There are terrain effects in Cold Steel 3.

Witness! Rean's Crimson Slash can't hit the Archaism because it's behind a couch and coffee table

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Veryslightlymad posted:

Witness! Rean's Crimson Slash can't hit the Archaism because it's behind a couch and coffee table

If I were Rean I'd simply walk around the couch and hit it with my sword

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Veryslightlymad posted:

Yeah, I remember the fact that there's no longer a "generic combat screen" was something they advertized around the release of the game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I guess furniture has to be pretty drat sturdy in anime swordsman land

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just finished chapter 1 of SC and I don't know if it's just the absence of Josh or that the returning party members so far are all my favourites but this game has a pretty strong start I think. I liked FC but I feel the writing's really stepped up. Most of the returning cast have all already had some pretty strong scenes and the new party members they've introduced all seem rad as well.

The other trails games i've played start fairly slow but once the prologue was done SC got right into gear, hope it can keep this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Often in LoH games I'll unintentionally rush sections where I feel a sense of narrative urgency. Like, "there's no time to lose", coupled with needing to see what happens next. SC was that... Constantly.