Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I watched it the day after and wished I had watched it live too. they even synchronised their Twitter posts with the outages - check back for all the responses “might have known the BBC would mess up something like this” etc - they’re great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Red Oktober posted:

I watched it the day after and wished I had watched it live too. they even synchronised their Twitter posts with the outages - check back for all the responses “might have known the BBC would mess up something like this” etc - they’re great.

If I remember right, I thought my recording had hosed up and went to watch it on the iPlayer before realising the sound was supposed to go.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's a shame they didn't come to this conclusion halfway through shooting.

They did. That's why the head writer didn't even mention Pratchett when posting about how the filming had ended while talking about how he wrote it and name checking a whole bunch of people involved. They also changed the bit about it being an adaptation of Discworld to being inspired by characters from Discworld.

not a bot fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 12, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I was so glad for them to get rid of (bakeoff spoiler) Rowan on Tuesday. Normally they keep the 'characters' and it was just good to get him gone.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Taear posted:

I was so glad for them to get rid of (bakeoff spoiler) Rowan on Tuesday. Normally they keep the 'characters' and it was just good to get him gone.

I was bummed to see Mak get voted out before Rowan. Mak seemed cool as hell and it really felt like they kept Rowan on for another week because he was more of a character than Rowan.

I'm liking this season so far, I know nothing about the new host but he seems funny, however it does feel like a bit much sometimes with both him and Noel riffing all the time.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
We finally get new Taskmaster this week...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

I'm liking this season so far, I know nothing about the new host but he seems funny, however it does feel like a bit much sometimes with both him and Noel riffing all the time.

You know nothing about Matt Lucas?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

goatface posted:

Nope, I've never heard of him before the show. I'm an American if that provides some more context to that statement :shobon:

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

explosivo posted:

Nope, I've never heard of him before the show. I'm an American if that provides some more context to that statement :shobon:

He's a baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lfg20UdhcM

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He was one of the companions in S10 of Doctor Who.

GBBO: I was sad about Mak leaving. I got gay dad vibes off him (he mentioned kids but never wife), and I was waiting for him to spread his wings a bit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh this, uh, clears it up then.

:stare:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I find Matt Lucas incredibly difficult to watch in anything he’s ever done and while I don’t find him as bad as I feared in GBBO, I really don’t think he’s very good at it. Then again the comedy asides in the programme have never been very good. Noel wasn’t my cup of tea for a long time but I have warmed to him, so who knows.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I actually watched most of an episode of bake off a couple of weeks ago and I didn't really understand why Lucas and Fielding were there

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

They should have got Julian Barratt.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

goatface posted:

Should have guessed they were american when they said that.

Still GBBO spoilers:
I agree that Mak went because he wasn't as much of a character as Rowan, which was a shame. That's why I was worried that Rowan would stick around even longer.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

The_Doctor posted:

He was one of the companions in S10 of Doctor Who.

Yeeeeees.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

sebzilla posted:

They should have got Julian Barratt.

To replace Fielding.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The official format handbook placed strict requirements on the presenter team.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

crispix posted:

I actually watched most of an episode of bake off a couple of weeks ago and I didn't really understand why Lucas and Fielding were there

I'm also an American who started getting into panel shows a few years back, and the whole concept of "a presenter" as a category of entertainment job is just plain not a thing here. I didn't understand why these random comedians were hanging around Bake Off either until I watched more UK TV and realized what was going on.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

showbiz_liz posted:

I'm also an American who started getting into panel shows a few years back, and the whole concept of "a presenter" as a category of entertainment job is just plain not a thing here. I didn't understand why these random comedians were hanging around Bake Off either until I watched more UK TV and realized what was going on.

If it helps we don't understand what they're doing on bake-off either. I generally like Noel Fielding but he straight up just doesn't fit in there. The comedy asides do nothing for the show as it is but to get someone like Noel who thrives off being unscripted and weird to be the person responsible for keeping the show in format is such a bad choice. I'm not big on Matt Lucas but find him and Noel less awkward to watch than Sandi and Noel.

Out of interest what other kind of stuff from the UK are you watching? I can't think of anything besides Bake Off and perhaps Lego Masters with this style of presenting that would be worth the effort of watching if not freely and easily available? I mean sure you're not :filez:-ing homes under the hammer or the like?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Tea Bone posted:

If it helps we don't understand what they're doing on bake-off either. I generally like Noel Fielding but he straight up just doesn't fit in there. The comedy asides do nothing for the show as it is but to get someone like Noel who thrives off being unscripted and weird to be the person responsible for keeping the show in format is such a bad choice. I'm not big on Matt Lucas but find him and Noel less awkward to watch than Sandi and Noel.

Out of interest what other kind of stuff from the UK are you watching? I can't think of anything besides Bake Off and perhaps Lego Masters with this style of presenting that would be worth the effort of watching if not freely and easily available? I mean sure you're not :filez:-ing homes under the hammer or the like?

Mostly Would I Lie To You and Taskmaster with a few other things mixed in - so it's not so much that I'm seeing presenters being presenters, but I'm seeing a lot of people on those shows whose main job appears to be "TV presenter."

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
WILTY and Taskmaster are all presented by people who have been fixtures in the UK comedy scene for decades at this point so while I can see why it might seem like “presenter” is just their job if you don’t know the context, it’s kind of inaccurate.

Alex Horne also is actually the brains behind Taskmaster, I think? Greg Davies is a comic actor who has been in sitcoms.

That said Presenter is totally a thing that exists, and it’s traditionally more of a showbiz type, so maybe you could say that the tradition of having a Presenter for non-comedy shows was subverted when comedy panel shows became a thing, and there’s some strange back and forth crossbleeding where GBBO gets comedians to do something that feels really awkward and poo poo.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The comedy people are really important to GBBO. The show wouldnt work without the serious moments being undercut. Their purpose is to allow the judges to judge while still keeping everything cottsgecore

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Alex Horne is a long time circuit comedian and taskmaster is his baby. I think it was a festival thing years before the TV series.

Most of them have either been stand up, sitcom or sketch comedians of some type. The real "presenter" presenters imo are normally ex children's telly. Endless enthusiasm and polite patter and conditioned not to swear.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I think the story is Horne needed to come up with a show for the Edinburgh Fringe quickly and came up with the bones of Taskmaster. One of the tasks was "give me the most money" and Mark Watson sent him £200, and won by a margin of £199.50 or something.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'd argue america does have presenters, what about people like Ryan Seacrest or Joan Rivers?
Joan Rivers especially tbh

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Taear posted:

I'd argue america does have presenters, what about people like Ryan Seacrest or Joan Rivers?
Joan Rivers especially tbh

Yeah the concept of presenters wasn't really a new thing to me, we usually just refer to them as hosts or co-hosts I guess but the first time I watched GBBO it wasn't like "Whoa why are all these extra comedians here?" I like them being there to yuk it up with the contestants and cut the tension while Paul and Prue pace back and forth on the sidelines glaring at everyone's suspect dough.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

showbiz_liz posted:

That's strange to me because the first person who comes to mind when I think of "television presenter" is Troy McClure :laugh:

btw I'm not American. I'm not sure if you think I am. Just saying. Not that there's anything wrong with being American, of course. Just that I'm not

American

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I did like Mel and Sue as they have a chemistry together and their comedy is double entendres and sarcasm.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Speaking of Taskmaster, which I have been loving (finishing series 5 now): I was really not expecting the onscreen relationship between Greg and Alex to develop into the deranged psychosexual nightmare it's become, and I'm truly delighted/disturbed by it.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Pretty excited for the next series of taskmaster though I recognise that being filmed in covid times its non-task moments probably won't be very funny

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

They've also dropped a trailer for Taskmaster NZ
https://www.reddit.com/r/panelshow/comments/jaaj6i/new_taskmaster_nz_tv_trailers_30_15s/

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I think the various Scandinavian taskmasters are worth watching if you can track down the subtitled versions.

The Spanish one was a loving trainwreck. No clue what they thought they were doing there.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I found the Norwegian one on reddit, not sure if its safe to post here or not.
So far am loving it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It's interesting that the Northern Europe countries have made local Taskmasters work (Finland, Denmark, Sweden and Finland) but everyone else has struggled.

The first season of the Norwegian is almost as good as the best of the UK one.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I watched a bit of it again last night partly because I fancy one of the blokes in it. I think the problem with Lucas is how unpersonable he is. He tries too hard to make jokes and when he can't make them he resorts to doing wacky accents at people. He doesn't give a poo poo about the people there or what's going on with their stuff

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's interesting that the Northern Europe countries have made local Taskmasters work (Finland, Denmark, Sweden and Finland) but everyone else has struggled.

The first season of the Norwegian is almost as good as the best of the UK one.

Scandinavian humour is really similar to the UK so it's not too surprising.
And they watch our panel shows.

I think this may be partly down to them tending to watch subtitled and actually knowing english, rather than a dubbed version of things? Translation doesn't always carry humour well.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

crispix posted:

I watched a bit of it again last night partly because I fancy one of the blokes in it. I think the problem with Lucas is how unpersonable he is. He tries too hard to make jokes and when he can't make them he resorts to doing wacky accents at people. He doesn't give a poo poo about the people there or what's going on with their stuff

It seems Noel Fielding seems to have a genuine rapport with contestants whereas Matt Lucas seems to just treat them as a straight man to his jokes

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Lucas always feels likes hes playing a character, noel feels like hes chilling in the tent and gooding around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has he ever presented before just as himself? I default think of him as a strong character person.