Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

wtf y’all don’t know the shaking trick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc7w_PGSt9Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I mean, they only cost $5.99 sooo...get what you pay for? Mine never streaked out the packaging but they def got a shelf life.

All wipers have a shelf life; the rubber degrades from being outside and exposed to sunlight. Consumer Reports stopped reviewing wiper blades because they didn’t see a meaningful difference between brands in the first six months and that’s when you should replace them anyway.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Renegret posted:

I haven't had a great experience with the Michelin wipers from costco. They're streaky as hell.

Then again, in all the years I've had this car, the only wiper I haven't had problems with are OEMs. So maybe I'm cursed.

In my experience the factory wipers and factory brakes are two components that always last way longer than even the best replacements available.

I've got the Michelin Wipers on now and I think they're fine? I wipe the blade down from time to time.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
Clean your whole windshield with a glass cleaner right before changing your wipers (especially the bottom where the wipers park). Oil and other road grime will build up over time and if there's enough, even new wipers will streak.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
It's also important to wipe down your wipers at least once a month if you want them to last. You can do it with the blue liquid that gas stations have on the fuel court, but it's better to get something that's designed specifically for windshields, because it will have lubricants and anti-beading agents that are compatible with (and will soak into and restore) the rubber blades on your wipers.

Before anyone asks, fuel court blue liquid is more often than not straight commercial glass cleaner and it will dry out the blades and make them crack prematurely. Sometimes it's not, sometimes it's windshield cleaner concentrate, but as someone who used to go around and check Wawas for compliance more often it's glass cleaner.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 12, 2020

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Has anyone tried the Robert Irvine Fit Crunch Bars? They look good but 18 bars is a lot to commit to if they're terrible. I just want a tasty low sugar protein bar. I know that's asking too much.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

fizzymercy posted:

Has anyone tried the Robert Irvine Fit Crunch Bars? They look good but 18 bars is a lot to commit to if they're terrible. I just want a tasty low sugar protein bar. I know that's asking too much.

There one of the most candy bar'est protein bars. Taste like a generic brand snickers or something. Macros aren't great though

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

fizzymercy posted:

They are absolutely delicious and actually taste like a candy bar, but have more carbs than the kirkland protein bars/quest style bars. Still better for you than a Snickers.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

All wipers have a shelf life; the rubber degrades from being outside and exposed to sunlight. Consumer Reports stopped reviewing wiper blades because they didn’t see a meaningful difference between brands in the first six months and that’s when you should replace them anyway.

I've never really seen a difference between blades, other than that new blade feel when you change them. It will be overwhelmingly damp in Oregon between now and, say, June... but stormy weather is mostly reserved for the coast; our wipers rarely go beyond the first intermittent setting.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Plastik posted:

It's also important to wipe down your wipers at least once a month if you want them to last. You can do it with the blue liquid that gas stations have on the fuel court, but it's better to get something that's designed specifically for windshields, because it will have lubricants and anti-beading agents that are compatible with (and will soak into and restore) the rubber blades on your wipers.

Before anyone asks, fuel court blue liquid is more often than not straight commercial glass cleaner and it will dry out the blades and make them crack prematurely. Sometimes it's not, sometimes it's windshield cleaner concentrate, but as someone who used to go around and check Wawas for compliance more often it's glass cleaner.

In the first sentence you're saying it will make the wipers last longer but in the second you're saying it cause them to crack prematurely

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

In the first sentence you're saying it will make the wipers last longer but in the second you're saying it cause them to crack prematurely

First he says you need to maintain then.

Second one says "don't use the blue poo poo at the gas station to do it. That poo poo will make them crack."

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Hark, my fellow worshipers, for I have head the divine word. I cut my travel time to a Costco in half with my recent move. Sad days at the food bar, but thus is life in this plague hellscape.

Rotisserie chicken (shredded), one of the amazing pitas from the bread section, a good helpin' of bitchin' sauce, with a dash of some hot sauce is might fine eating for how cheap, easy, and fast is it to make.

The Kirkland cold brew coffee recommendations were spot on, this stuff is fantastic! Unlike most canned/bottled cold brew this actually tastes like coffee, and has the proper potency for cold brew. Sipping on one of these throughout the day is a great source of convenient caffeine that really helped me power through this move.

I snagged one of those $100 desk chairs that's a knock-off of some $1k+ brand, and it's pretty dang decent for the price. Definitely a huge upgrade from the POS folding chair I was lugging around during the nebulous times.

Does anyone in here have any personal experience with the Kirkland Stainless Steel pot set? It's like $200, but with the amount of pieces it comes with it seems like a decent deal with Costco's unbeatable return policy backing it up.

PBUC

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Which chair did you get? My wife has our "good" chair, a 20-year-old Herman Miller Aeron. My kid has our backup office chair. I have a chair from the dining room table. I'd like to upgrade the kid to something better.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fischtick posted:

Which chair did you get? My wife has our "good" chair, a 20-year-old Herman Miller Aeron. My kid has our backup office chair. I have a chair from the dining room table. I'd like to upgrade the kid to something better.

This one here, it's $99 in store: https://www.costco.com/bayside-furnishings-metrex-iv-mesh-office-chair.product.100522611.html

I had a HM Mirra chair with a bad seat pan so I bought this one. A little to narrow for my tastes so I gave it to the wife and she loves it. Pretty comfortable and the folding arms mean we can actually fit it under the desk.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

It's a knock-off of the Aeron! It's a Bayside by Whalen Office Mesh Chair.

E: I've used the real things before while in college and they were definitely better quality and maybe slightly comfier, but for a tenth of the price I'm pretty darn happy with what I got.

^^^ yup that one

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 12, 2020

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

BaconCopter posted:

It's a knock-off of the Aeron! It's a Bayside by Whalen Office Mesh Chair.

E: I've used the real things before while in college and they were definitely better quality and maybe slightly comfier, but for a tenth of the price I'm pretty darn happy with what I got.

^^^ yup that one

Thanks! Glad to hear you're happy! I got my Aeron with one of my first Dotcom paychecks. Oh, the days of working at a place where a Nintendo PlayChoice 10 and slot car tournaments were selling points. While I definitely got my money's worth, sometimes you just gotta get a $100 chair.

Gonna swing by the 'Co tonight for wiper blades, dinner, and maybe a chair!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I scored a used aeron in real nice shape off craigslist for $150 a few weeks ago. You can see them there for $250 or so fairly often, as soon as my alert fired I immediately replied and said "hold it for me, I'm on my way!" and hopped in the car, it took an hour to get there and by the time I was there the lady said she'd had two other people wanting to grab it too. Real Aerons are invincible, my office one was made in 2001 and this one was made in 2006, even a used one will hold up way better than a knockoff, guaranteed.

The other thing is the knockoffs are not weight rated as high. The real thing is 350 lbs, the knockoffs are usually 225 lbs, so if you are a tubby then you should watch craigslist and get the real thing because you will bust up the knockoffs quick.

Steelcase is another brand known for being invincible/being overbuilt for people of gravity.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

wtf y’all don’t know the shaking trick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc7w_PGSt9Y

I've tried this like a dozen times and it has never worked at all. Maybe one clove gets half peeled. I believe it is bullshit.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Grand Fromage posted:

I've tried this like a dozen times and it has never worked at all. Maybe one clove gets half peeled. I believe it is bullshit.

I was gifted one of those little silicone sleeves for peeling garlic and after much skepticism I actually really like it. The bigger the clove, the better it works.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bought a used Herman Miller because they're invincible but then the seat pan wore out and the back seat cracked and the replacement parts ended up being more than the cost of a replacement chair so I just chucked it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

BaconCopter posted:

Does anyone in here have any personal experience with the Kirkland Stainless Steel pot set? It's like $200, but with the amount of pieces it comes with it seems like a decent deal with Costco's unbeatable return policy backing it up.

Are you talking about the five clad copper core Kirkland set? If so I recently purchased that. It feels extremely solid and seems to warm up significantly more evenly than the cheap IKEA ones I had previously. Though it doesn't say oven safe on the box, it does have a modest oven safe temperature of 390 degrees Fahrenheit. This is nowhere near what you might get with an all-clad set which would be something like 500°. And 390 is not good enough for broiling most likely, but since most stovetop to oven meals will tend to be cooked at 350 or 375 you will probably be okay for those. With that in mind you may need to have a supplementary pan or two that is oven safe to a higher temperature if you expect to do any sort of frequent stove top to oven cooking.

I know the reviews online have complained about warping, but I haven't really experienced that as of yet. I have a gas stove top and oven so even if it did warp some it wouldn't impact me too badly, but I think that's kind of a concern for any multi-layer clad pots and pans. If you heat them up too quickly the different layers flex at different rates and that can cause permanent warping. You need to be more careful about letting them cool completely before you clean them, and to not go over medium to medium high on your stove top. You'll want to keep the pans on medium low anyway to reduce how much food sticks. Pots can probably go up to medium high since the boiling water will keep it from getting too hot.

I like the markings for internal volume that are on the pots, that makes adding or estimating the amount of fluid in there a lot easier once you've already gotten things up and hot.

I don't miss having glass lids. They tend to fog up anyway and prevent you from seeing anything in there. I kind of prefer having the metal lids that the Kirkland set has since they should be more robust.

The handles on the pans have stayed reasonably cool while in use, but if you're going to use it for a while or are using the pots you will definitely need pot holders.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 12, 2020

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Both are correct.

A wiper blade cleaned regularly with the wrong stuff will still usually last longer and work better than a completely untouched blade. A properly cleaned one will work better and last longer, but commercial window cleaner still works.

Also if you wipe the blades with rubbing alcohol after you clean them they'll stick to the window (aka not streak) for longer.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've used Bosch Icons, and they freaking own. Too bad I can get new goodyears every 2 weeks for the same price.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

I bought a used Herman Miller because they're invincible but then the seat pan wore out and the back seat cracked and the replacement parts ended up being more than the cost of a replacement chair so I just chucked it.

My gas cylinder gave out in like 2011. I called to get the number of a local place that'd fix it and they're like "there's a 12 year warranty, and the cylinder is covered." They offered to ship me a loaner chair -- a LOANER CHAIR -- for the week mine was in the shop.

My wheels disintegrated a couple years back, but I got some roller blade replacements off Amazon for super cheap. The lumbar thing finally gave out this year. It probably would have had another ten years in it if my wife hadn't adjusted it ;)

I just checked, and the giant office liquidator warehouse downtown has a billion Aerons for sale starting at $200. Might have to take a trip down there.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

This is still easily one of the best threads on the site, which also makes me happy that the sale went through :toot:.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I scored a used aeron in real nice shape off craigslist for $150 a few weeks ago. You can see them there for $250 or so fairly often, as soon as my alert fired I immediately replied and said "hold it for me, I'm on my way!" and hopped in the car, it took an hour to get there and by the time I was there the lady said she'd had two other people wanting to grab it too. Real Aerons are invincible, my office one was made in 2001 and this one was made in 2006, even a used one will hold up way better than a knockoff, guaranteed.

The other thing is the knockoffs are not weight rated as high. The real thing is 350 lbs, the knockoffs are usually 225 lbs, so if you are a tubby then you should watch craigslist and get the real thing because you will bust up the knockoffs quick.

Steelcase is another brand known for being invincible/being overbuilt for people of gravity.

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely be setting up some alerts, worst case I have another great chair for the house.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Are you talking about the five clad copper core Kirkland set?

Oh, I meant the stainless steel set, but had definitely been thinking about the copper ones too. Very informative review, thanks!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The 'Sco is doing a kind of Prime Day competition, putting things on sale from jewelry, laptops, AirPods, cooking, clothes, and makeup all on sale.

There's also this office chair:
https://www.costco.com/ofm-mid-back-mesh-task-chair.product.100458356.html
Anyone have any insight for a home office? Good? Bad? I'll probably be WFH for the next year...

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

canyoneer posted:

I was gifted one of those little silicone sleeves for peeling garlic and after much skepticism I actually really like it. The bigger the clove, the better it works.
Seconded.

My garlic press came with one. It took me s few seconds of wondering "What the hell is this?" before I figured out the logical use for it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Paul MaudDib posted:

I’ll back this up. The Aeron seems to have by far the most name recognition of fancy chairs but that doesn’t mean it’s necessarily the best for you. I’m picky about chairs since I sit for a living and I’m 6’ 7”. None of the Herman Miller’s (yes they have a lot more models than just the Aeron) work that great for me. The Steelcase Leap turned out to be a much better fit. Both brands are pretty much the same in terms of quality.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Had a $1.50 hotdog and an iced tea on Saturday, but it was kinda disappointing since no refill and no onions or relish for the dog

Still worth it tho.

Wife got a chicken bake and I swear those have like doubled in size, thing was almost the size of my weener. Almost.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
They changed the chicken bakes this year and they're actually a little smaller and not as good.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Has anyone bought a cat tree at Costco? Mine seems to have some that are nice looking but preassembled, that I can't find online. I unfortunately have a sedan so I don't really have the space to bring the entire thing home. Is my best bet just to ask a friend with a truck/larger car to help out?

These are the ones i'm talking about :

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Do your back seats fold down? Let that bad boy hang a couple feet out the trunk if you need it to

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fallom posted:

Do your back seats fold down? Let that bad boy hang a couple feet out the trunk if you need it to

God drat it, I completely forgot I could fold seats down. Thanks!

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
i just want some drat bulk chili powder in the spice aisle

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

God drat it, I completely forgot I could fold seats down. Thanks!

Also most of those cat trees come apart real easy with an adjustable wrench. Undo the nut under a circular column and it'll usually come off. Check and see if those are able to be disassembled.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
why doesn't costco have a way to air up your tyres at the gas station?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Harald posted:

why doesn't costco have a way to air up your tyres at the gas station?
Because that's over by the auto services area, dope

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Because that's over by the auto services area, dope

okay, I asked the gas guys and they were like "we don't have that", but I will have to check it out, thanks.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

My church installed self service tire altars and they stop people from blocking the road by the auto bays and it is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Harald posted:

okay, I asked the gas guys and they were like "we don't have that", but I will have to check it out, thanks.

I think you just pull up outside the tire bays, try to get their attention, and they’ll come over and fill them up. It’s definitely not self service from what I’ve seen.

Edit:

Virigoth posted:

My church installed self service tire altars and they stop people from blocking the road by the auto bays and it is great

That would be much nicer