Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

After a hiatus of over three years, the fourth season of FARGO is airing on FX now!

quote:

The fourth season is set in 1950 in Kansas City and the story follows two crime syndicates as they vie for control. The cast is led by Chris Rock, who plays Loy Cannon, the head of a crime syndicate made up of black migrants fleeing the Jim Crow South who have a contentious relationship with the Kansas City mafia.

As well as Rock, we also have Jason Schwartzman as Josto Fadda, one of the heads of the Kansas City Mafia, Jessie Buckley as bizarro nurse Oraetta Mayflower, E'myri Crutchfield as Ethelrida Pearl Smutney, daughter of mixed race parents and Oraetta’s neighbour, Glynn Turman as Loy’s rigjt-hand man Doctor Senator, Ben Whishaw as Rabbi Milligan, an Irishman “traded” to the Italians as a child, Timothy Olyphant as Mormon marshal Dick “Deafy” Wickware, and a great many more (seriously, so many more, there’s so many goddamn characters this season).

Currently three episodes have aired out of a planned 11, and personally I am enjoying it! It’s definitely shaping up to be one of the lesser seasons but it still has the same fun dialogue/style, some excellent intriguing characters, and a good amount of the magic that made seasons 1 and 2 especially so great. Buckley especially is just fantastic.

Ok other people make posts now!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think it's probably weaker than the other seasons, at least form what I've seen so far, but the handjob scene is probably the funniest the series has ever been so it's a wash.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So far I've only seen the first episode, and I was enjoying it if a little underwhelmed right up until the last 5-10 minutes which I loved and left me really intrigued to see how they follow it up. The first 2 seasons of Fargo were exceptional and the third was solid if not feeling entirely cohesive, so I have high hopes that this season is a return to form. Especially since Hawley isn't spreading himself thin doing Legion at the same time anymore.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think it's probably weaker than the other seasons, at least form what I've seen so far, but the handjob scene is probably the funniest the series has ever been so it's a wash.

One of the reasons I hadn’t made this thread already is because I couldn’t think of a good thread title. Soon as that scene happened I knew I had one.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Finally, a thread!

S4 isn't quiiiite hitting me right off the bat like S2 or even S3, but I'm always a sucker for a twisty kooky crime thriller and I'm still enjoying my time. One of the characters I'm slowly growing fond of is Gaetano, the big Italian brother. He's got such a strange... way... about him. They make him really goofy and yet, he feels extremely dangerous. I think that's one of my favorite "Coenisms", making people both silly and tense.

I was also laughing my rear end off at the sheriff using the lord's name in vain around the Mormon U.S. Marshall. I know that's a cheap joke, but I'm a cheap man.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Gaetano and Senator are my highlights so far.

I've watched all three episodes and I'm not feeling it at all. Fargo's never been a documentary, but the history in this ranges for corny but possible to bad. The credit card pitch scene is in the corny but possible. The lack of reaction to a mixed race couple on the Missouri side of Kansas City is iffy and really iffy that law enforcement treated everybody with respect during the raid.

There are so many storylines and they're all getting a ton of airtime. I find myself having to have a cast list around to keep up with names.

There've been more Raising Arizona references than in other seasons.

Feebus Reloaded
Jul 28, 2016

THIS WAS AJUDGED TO BOTH COMMIT TO AND VIOLATE A SACRED POSTIN OATH

Esposito (Gaetano) is a delight. He's overacting to such an outrageous degree that it goes all the way past corny and becomes magnetic again. Closest point of comparison for me is Nicholas Cage in Bad Lieutenant 2.

Schwartzman's good! He's playing a little angry guy with a huge chip on his shoulder, remember--not a traditional tough guy. Rock's OK, but I'm waiting to make up my mind until the script gives him a chance to flex his emotional muscles.

Liking it OK so far but will probably like it more as some of the characters inevitably die and the narrative converges on one or two key plot lines. It's a huge cast, and there are probably too many characters for all of them to get as much attention as they're currently getting for the length of the entire season, but I'm not having much trouble keeping track of them as is.

Feebus Reloaded fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 8, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought it was funny the older Fadda brother revealed they killed communists for the fascists in the war, then the fascists turned around and burned their poo poo down.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the season so far because everyone's acting at peak performance, editing is close to perfection, and writing is more about the entertainment and pathos than it is about accuracy and realism. The plot is, unfortunately, a toss-up so far because of how little importance anything seems to have and Olyphant only being given 3 solid scenes in the first 3 episodes, ala 1 of those episodes, is a little disappointing so I'm hoping we get more of him. Does anyone have a guess as to what this season's supernatural element is/will be?

For some reason Season 3's "she's invisible to sensors" thing makes me think either Olyphant's "deafness" or the dirty cop's OCD is somehow going to be it, though neither is truly out of the norm just yet.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There was a figment in the road at the end of the first episode. I suspect it's amphetamine psychosis

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Really fun season so far. It went a bit off the rails in the last episode with the cops checking every corpse drawer except for the one with the convicts and also I don't think ipecac makes you fart it's only ever made me puke.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

There was a figment in the road at the end of the first episode. I suspect it's amphetamine psychosis
Oh I completely forgot about that! That is it, of course.

Mameluke posted:

I like little Mike Milligan, he is a good kid
Ha yeah I was telling my friend the same thing. That's gotta be him.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 9, 2020

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like little Mike Milligan, he is a good kid

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaetano is amazing, he just completely draws all the attention in the room onto himself and you can see how his brother must resent that despite being the older brother and the boss.

Really enjoyed the first three episodes, though I do agree the cast is a bit too big and will benefit when the various plotlines start converging.

Also I absolutely loved Doctor Senator telling the story about being at Nuremberg, and the line,"Our word is as good as yours."

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Tonight's episode sort of clicked for me, although I still think there are way too many characters and I'm emotionally invested in way too few of them. It also took me until now to realize that Andrew Bird is Thurman, which like-- he's doing a fine job, good for him I guess.

And yeah, Gaetano is great, every little facial tic like he's about to fly into a paroxysm of rage. Him and Schwartzman have a nice tense chemistry and I wish we'd see more of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, feel like the show is starting to come together really nicely, and I love how loving beautifully shot it is. That said, there were a couple of surprising clunky edits that felt quite odd, like Ethelrida's letter/envelope near the start - going from three pieces of paper she was writing on to closing up the envelope all in the space of a single head-turn.

I'm also absolutely terrified for Thurman. I was begging him to get the gently caress out of the house after he handed over the money, and praying that Cannon wouldn't sniff the money afterwards even though I knew he would.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's definitely the best looking of the seasons which is saying a lot

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

How many episodes are in this season? It feels like it's been 4 episodes of very, very slow build-up. I don't need to see Detective OCD do his door-knocking thing 3 times in an episode. The characters he does it around seem to already know he's like that because they always insult him in some way for it.

That being said I'm curious to see how they tie Nurse Choke in with the mob somehow.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Fartington Butts posted:

How many episodes are in this season?

Looks like eleven. I'll grant that I liked season three more than a lot of people I know, but that one also took a little bit to get going.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

3 was great and I think I liked it more than 2

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
I think the character I'm most invested in is Odis, I think that's the Irish guy's name? I just want him to make it out okay.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Although the specter at the end of the first episode was the hint, this episode certainly makes it clearer what the supernatural force is. The Snowman, they call him, and he's sensed by the Roulette women. I wonder what his deal will be.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 13, 2020

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

FlavoFibe posted:

I think the character I'm most invested in is Odis, I think that's the Irish guy's name? I just want him to make it out okay.

Odis the OCD cop. Rabbi Milligan is the Irish guy.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

mary had a little clam posted:

Finally, a thread!

S4 isn't quiiiite hitting me right off the bat like S2 or even S3, but I'm always a sucker for a twisty kooky crime thriller and I'm still enjoying my time. One of the characters I'm slowly growing fond of is Gaetano, the big Italian brother. He's got such a strange... way... about him. They make him really goofy and yet, he feels extremely dangerous. I think that's one of my favorite "Coenisms", making people both silly and tense.

I was also laughing my rear end off at the sheriff using the lord's name in vain around the Mormon U.S. Marshall. I know that's a cheap joke, but I'm a cheap man.

If you want to see Gaetano's actor play a more serious role, check out the incredible series Gamorra. He has a moment between Season 1 and 2 that was incredible. He's really over-acting in Fargo and it's a bit jarring after seeing his other work. Still all-in as Fargo has always leaned hard into caricatures.

That show is worth every subtitle.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
I'm just glad we get to see a mormon version of Raylan Givens. I always love Olyphant in these types of roles.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

That being said I'm curious to see how they tie Nurse Choke in with the mob somehow.

Why did I say this? They already very much tied her in with the mob.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Cross-posting my last post from the Couch Chat since there's a thread now (and skipping the posts above to avoid spoilers).

quote:

I had typed out a list of thoughts on Fargo, but by the end of episode 3 I think I can sum up this season:

Fargo is up its own rear end.

Not one bit of it feels natural.

This show has always been up its own rear end from the first "This is a true story" card which is utter bullshit. (I get that it was in the movie but just do it in the season premiere and be done with it.) I came into episode 3 ready to delete the series off my DVR until...

quote:

While I agree with this sentiment in general, I would amend the statement with the qualifier that Timothy Olyphant playing a loquacious US Marshal who only hears what he wants feels natural as hell.

The sudden and unexpected appearance of Raylan Givens single-handedly retained my interest.

Still working through Episode 3, but it's the zany/wacky facets of this show that knock it down a peg for me, such as the outlaws' dueling farts in the coffin. Why does the robbery scene have to involve one of them making GBS threads themselves?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I don't watch a Fargo tv series hoping it will feel "natural."

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Fargo was always way more about magical realism than gritty accurary even in the movie.
This season really lays it on thick what with the fairytale like backstory and the weird characters.
I like it so far, at least comparable to season 2. There are more characters but it is at a manageable level so far.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ep 4 is definitely the best so far imo

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CBJSprague24 posted:

Still working through Episode 3, but it's the zany/wacky facets of this show that knock it down a peg for me, such as the outlaws' dueling farts in the coffin. Why does the robbery scene have to involve one of them making GBS threads themselves?

I agree with this being pretty awful and unnecessary even for the plot (what ipecac makes you poo poo yourself?). I don't think the show is up its own rear end though. It's more about mythical American story telling. I sound like I'm up my own rear end describing it that way but what I mean is that everyone in Fargo are big personalities. Every single one. They're extremes and every scene sounds like someone telling a story by saying "and let me tell you what happened next" over and over.

It's boisterous and a little stuck up but I don't think it ruins the fun. Wes Anderson/Coen Brothers crossbleed in being pretentious while also being stupid is endearing in its own right.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jerusalem posted:

Gaetano is amazing, he just completely draws all the attention in the room onto himself and you can see how his brother must resent that despite being the older brother and the boss.

I've only watched the first 2 episodes so far, but Gaetano reminds me of :doit: so much

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So... did Orietta make the apple pie with ipecac on purpose or by accident?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Definitely on purpose. But the purpose isn't known aaand probably won't be known.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
On purpose, she stated the girl was going to be her new project and now we know she is a prolific serial killer.
She does not seem to be too fond of the family by the way she speaks as well, the whole "I couldn't see you in the dark hallway" is not really a pleasant thing to say.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

HppyCmpr posted:

On purpose, she stated the girl was going to be her new project and now we know she is a prolific serial killer.
She does not seem to be too fond of the family by the way she speaks as well, the whole "I couldn't see you in the dark hallway" is not really a pleasant thing to say.
My problem with this is that the whole family would've eaten the pie... and the ipecac wouldn't have necessarily led to anything more than a night of rest. Whatever's going on, it'll hopefully make more sense later.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

DaveKap posted:

My problem with this is that the whole family would've eaten the pie... and the ipecac wouldn't have necessarily led to anything more than a night of rest. Whatever's going on, it'll hopefully make more sense later.

I think in high enough doses it is poisonous and there is a risk of overdose, Swanee ate a decent amount of it but it did not look that much larger than a serving. I am assuming if the entire house became sick, she might offer to look after them, as she is a nurse and, in the process, acquire a few more trinkets in the box.

I am still not sure if Swanee will even recover to be honest; she did not look to hot lying in the bed having a spectre of death loom over her.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

DaveKap posted:

She clearly looks down on the daughter and sees her being racially inferior. The fact that the daughter (i forget her name sorry) is extremely smart and not one to take Orietta’s bullshit lying down was reason enough to make the ipecac pie. Basically it was passive aggressive revenge.

I don’t think Orietta was trying to kill the girl, just make her sick, even if it meant getting the rest of the family sick in the process.

Of course I’m sure that’s gonna change after this latest episode when she finds the girl’s notebook in a place where it shouldn’t be...

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Ballz posted:

She clearly looks down on the daughter and sees her being racially inferior. The fact that the daughter (i forget her name sorry) is extremely smart and not one to take Orietta’s bullshit lying down was reason enough to make the ipecac pie. Basically it was passive aggressive revenge.

This is a hella good take that I never even considered. It explains why every time Oraetta encounters Ethelrida (I had to look up this name) she makes a disparaging remark about her.

The names on this show are insane. No wonder I can't remember any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Fartington Butts posted:

This is a hella good take that I never even considered. It explains why every time Oraetta encounters Ethelrida (I had to look up this name) she makes a disparaging remark about her.

The names on this show are insane. No wonder I can't remember any of them.

Mods rename me Doctor Senator.