Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Joe Bogan posted:

*Mandala effect

Now you're just gaslighting the poor fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have this conspiracy theory that the Mandela Effect began and is the result of the LHC. Every time they use the Large Hadron Collider it disrupts the space time continuum and changes things

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have this conspiracy theory that the Mandela Effect began and is the result of dweebs on the internet feeling like they need to categorize attach a label to everything and make normal everyday experiences into memes.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

feedmyleg posted:

I have this conspiracy theory that the Mandela Effect began and is the result of dweebs on the internet feeling like they need to categorize attach a label to everything and make normal everyday experiences into memes.

Don't be such a Karen

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I think there's something to be said for his specific dumb version of nostalgia too. The whole "Yes, it looks exactly like Rivendale, the elf city from The Lord of the Rings" worked well for people who wanted mainline nostalgia and references spoonfed to them. But that's probably a one time high.

A lot of people liked RPO because it insisted that knowing who They Might Be Giants is makes you just as cool as the goth girl who kept rejecting you in high school

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

A lot of people liked RPO because it insisted that knowing who They Might Be Giants is makes you just as cool as the goth girl who kept rejecting you in high school would have rejected you in high school if you'd ever talked to her

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Also, for whatever reason, book critics have suuuucked for a very long time. Every novel that's even a little bit noteworthy is "sheer genius".

Look at the reviews for the new Neal Stephenson if you don't believe me. That novel is GOD AWFUL. Faaaaaaar worse than Snow Crash, because at least Snow Crash wasn't a stealth Xanth novel

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I think book critics were told "books are dead, hype every book now" about 10 years ago and then never read the "never mind, Audible exists" followup email

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Simone Magus posted:

A lot of people liked RPO because it insisted that knowing who They Might Be Giants is makes you just as cool as the goth girl who kept rejecting you in high school

That's the Phineas and Ferb band!

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

we call that “TVTropes Syndrome”

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

feedmyleg posted:

I can't explain why it's so rage inducing to me, but it's the "Baader-Meinhof phenomenon" for me. It's literally just something that some guy on the internet came up with but turbonerds will *ahem* "did you know that is called..." whenever you mention noticing something a lot. It's probably because pop psychology has always bugged me but there's a whole new wave of Internet Facts pop psychology that's even worse.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The Mandela effect has gotten way more popular simply as a function of exponential data growth. The more facts we keep track of, the easier it is to have a memory glitch out. Combine that with the Everywhere Internet making it trivially easy to check if you're right and connect with other people whose memory glitched and there you go

That said, C3P0 absolutely did not have one silver leg in the OT, you literally cannot change my mind about this t:mad:t

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It should've been called the Berenstain effect because that's about eight billion times more common than thinking Mandela died in the 90s or whatever (wtf?).

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Doesn't sound as good.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

It should've been called the Berenstain effect because that's about eight billion times more common than thinking Mandela died in the 90s or whatever (wtf?).

The original person thought that Mandela had died in prison during the eighties and was convinced that this was an overwhelmingly common misconception.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I knew an old lady who was alive during the Great Depression and WW2 who was absolutely convinced Hitler was arrested and tried for war crimes. Like, she didn’t frame it as a conspiracy theory. She thought that’s what happened and everyone knew it. Nothing I could tell her would convince her otherwise.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

I knew an old lady who was alive during the Great Depression and WW2 who was absolutely convinced Hitler was arrested and tried for war crimes. Like, she didn’t frame it as a conspiracy theory. She thought that’s what happened and everyone knew it. Nothing I could tell her would convince her otherwise.

It's not that surprising that someone who was fairly young at the time would misremember it that way; the Nuremburg Trials no doubt got much more extensive media coverage than Hitler's suicide did.

The origin of the original Mandela Effect is less clear to me; was there a big story about some other South African political prisoner dying, or about Mandela getting sick?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Silver2195 posted:

It's not that surprising that someone who was fairly young at the time would misremember it that way; the Nuremburg Trials no doubt got much more extensive media coverage than Hitler's suicide did.

The origin of the original Mandela Effect is less clear to me; was there a big story about some other South African political prisoner dying, or about Mandela getting sick?
Nah, human memory is easily manipulated and unreliable. The person who coined it was also a so-called "paranormal consultant", so I imagine she greatly exaggerated the number of people she met who believed this. Confirmation bias/leading questions could also be factors because she probably didn't really approach it in a scientific manner.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I have a coworker who is an insane sovcit and she believes that someone changed history. Her son told her that Vaseline used to be spelled differently and that R2D2 had different coloring and he couldn't possibly be misremembering.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Len posted:

I have a coworker who is an insane sovcit and she believes that someone changed history. Her son told her that Vaseline used to be spelled differently and that R2D2 had different coloring and he couldn't possibly be misremembering.

Have you tried telling her that C3P0 has always had a silver leg?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

pospysyl posted:

The original person thought that Mandela had died in prison during the eighties and was convinced that this was an overwhelmingly common misconception.

Yeah it was bizarre. I actually thought it was the Mandala effect (I still think of it that way) as in the cosmic symbol because that was such an individual wrong memory to name it after.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 12, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Have you tried telling her that C3P0 has always had a silver leg?

No I try not to talk to her because she's insane. She was on a rant today about how she doesn't feel it's right to wear a mask and we should be writing the governor and yadda yadda

Also she doesn't pay taxes because her son told her tricks and she had them stop taking taxes out of her checks because she's not being paid, she's bartering

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Silver2195 posted:

I always figured that they got confused with Stephen Biko, a Mandela-like figure who did die in police custody. South Africa is a long way away, you're not that interested, be easy to confuse the two.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nonathlon posted:

I always figured that they got confused with Stephen Biko, a Mandela-like figure who did die in police custody. South Africa is a long way away, you're not that interested, be easy to confuse the two.

No, clearly my memories aren't wrong it's reality that's the wrong one here.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

feedmyleg posted:

It's also an inability to confront the limitations of your own brain, because memory (especially from early childhood) is extremely malleable.

Simone Magus posted:

Ready Player One almost never references anything as niche as They Might Be Giants. I know exactly what I'm saying here. The only remotely surprising pull is the arcade game Black Tiger/Black Dragon. If you want to know how obscure the book gets, Black Tiger takes place in the Tyrell Building from Blade Runner. Everything is just from the top of any given nerd's list.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

He does the nerdy thing you do when you’re a dork at 15 which is incessantly quote Holy Grail except now it makes him King poo poo of Nerdfuck Mountain because that’s the lame level of validation Cline is desperate for.

RPO post success is going to be fascinating because Parcival will be an even bigger self insert. Will it turn out despite all the fame and money and curvy anime waifu there’s still a massive void within him that he can’t fill or define? Probably!

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

nonathlon posted:

Yeah the movie Cry Freedom is about Biko and it makes sense that people would associate that with apartheid South Africa. It doesn't really excuse ignorance though as Mandela getting released from prison was huge news on the level of the Berlin wall coming down, and he was later elected President of South Africa

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think the thing with Mandela himself is most likely people who had no previous notion of the man being alive or dead hearing "You know, a huge number of people think that Nelson Mandela died in the 90s" then suddenly thinking "Wait, did I think that? Huh, maybe I did. Wow, I think there's something to this..."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That and people's perception of time getting pretty blurry from the 90s to 10s. 2020 is not helping.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That and people's perception of time getting pretty blurry from the 90s to 10s. 2020 is not helping.
The X Files episode about the Mandela Mengele Effect is probably the best of the revival run, and in the top ranks of the whole series. Predictably, it was written by Darin Morgan who in an ultra-meta moment now gets retroactively killed by his own creation.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1316063457448472584?s=21

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Holy poo poo.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'll be the first one in line to be given the movie theater alternative in pill form that will cause the hallucinatory fever dream that is "Furiosa" in the year 2031 when that is finished. gently caress yeah.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
gently caress yeah, that's a cast. I didn't really need to see a Furiosa origin story but I'll take whatever George Miller wants to give me. Been hoping Anya Taylor-Joy would get the role since she was rumored earlier this year, I think she's a great fit for a new take on the character. Hopefully this is Hemsworth playing against type, which is where he shines. And hopefully Miller's cracked another vital story.

Can't imagine a younger take on Immortan Joe is going to be less relevant these days, but it's going to be difficult to lower my expectations after Fury Road.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Payndz posted:

The X Files episode about the Mandela Mengele Effect is probably the best of the revival run, and in the top ranks of the whole series. Predictably, it was written by Darin Morgan who in an ultra-meta moment now gets retroactively killed by his own creation.

Also given how the finale turned out, making his entire episode about how utterly dumb it was to try and chase nostalgia and revive the X-Files was a great flex.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kind of weird to say "Anna Taylor-Joy (Glass)". What about (Split), (The VVitch) or you know... something more recent like (New Mutants)?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I'm generally not a fan of prequels, and would rather see a movie about Max or Furiosa going somewhere new and shaking up the status-quo, like most of the Mad Max movies have been so far. That said, George Miller has earned the benefit of the doubt from me, so I'm looking forward to whatever story he wants to tell.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Are there any prequels that really worked? That were received as well as--if not better than--the original? I am having a difficult time thinking of one.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Prowler posted:

Are there any prequels that really worked? That were received as well as--if not better than--the original? I am having a difficult time thinking of one.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Prowler posted:

Godfather Part II.

Mierenneuker posted:

Kind of weird to say "Anna Taylor-Joy (Glass)". What about (Split), (The VVitch) or you know... something more recent like (New Mutants)?

I thought the same haha