Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

NikkolasKing posted:

Why do people hate Don King? I'm not saying there aren't a million reasons, I just legit don't know. He's been the subject of parody and scorn since Rocky V all the way back in 1990 but apparently he was still working with Tyson and stuff well after that. So if he was a crook and everybody knew it, why were they hiring him so he could rip them off?

Boxers aren't that smart, he had a ton of promotional power, he's charismatic, and he'd get people into these contracts when they were young and vulnerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Why do people hate Don King? I'm not saying there aren't a million reasons, I just legit don't know. He's been the subject of parody and scorn since Rocky V all the way back in 1990 but apparently he was still working with Tyson and stuff well after that. So if he was a crook and everybody knew it, why were they hiring him so he could rip them off?

The whole sport was (and to a lesser extent, still is) incredibly corrupt.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

When you work your way into a position of power people tend to need/use you even if you're a scumbag who's ripped off everyone who came before you and has quite literally stomped people to death for fun. If you analogize anything from wrestling, it's how very, very easy it is for people, especially people in athletic fields with disproportionate senses of self-confidence, to say "well, that won't happen to me" even when all available evidence indicates that, yes, it absolutely will.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
A more focused question about Don King would be "did anyone he promoted who had any success not end up suing him?"

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKzh18yGKo0

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
Anyone have the videos of the goon that did a parody of that promo?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'm new to these parts so I apologize if this isn't the right place or this is opening a can of worms. I wanna tell you about a fellow I've been researching though, named George Dillman. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfyuAM3ieAI

George claims he can perform no-touch knockouts and swears by pressure points as the deadliest place to strike a foe. He's taken a lot of flack in the last few decades by the next generation of martial artists that don't buy his bullshit. But what if I told you he was once one of the most revered karateka around, even training with Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He'd get wrecked by pretty much any amateur fighter let alone a professional one.

Here's a Chinese MMA fighter that was at best OK at MMA, but he's found a niche going around clowning every 'master' that says the same types of things you say in your post. He literally gets hosed with by the CCP because he shits all over their state martial arts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycu7dvHBzk0

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Mr. Nice! posted:

He'd get wrecked by pretty much any amateur fighter let alone a professional one.

Here's a Chinese MMA fighter that was at best OK at MMA, but he's found a niche going around clowning every 'master' that says the same types of things you say in your post. He literally gets hosed with by the CCP because he shits all over their state martial arts.

i've been following this guy for awhile and all his videos really kick rear end because he just beats the poo poo out of these wushu masters

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The government came down really hard on him, and the one interview he gave about it, he sounded as spooked as Ai Wei Wei did after the secret police visited him.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mr. Nice! posted:

that dude has some massive balls. holy poo poo

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Golden Gael posted:

But what if I told you he was once one of the most revered karateka around, even training with Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali?

The most important word in this sentence is once. It's an all-too-common trope. Sure, once he was a highly respected instructor and worked with legitimate martial artists and combat sports athletes. Then, he swallowed his own bullshit, hook, line and sinker, and decided he was some mystical dim mak expert who could make the bottom brick explode by hitting the top brick. And because he was previously the highly regarded expert, either people weren't willing to tell him to knock it off, or he was surrounded by students of his who either believed along with him or were too polite/afraid for their positions to say anything.

One of the best gold exploration experts in Australia is also a proponent for the Expanding Earth theory. Which is utter bullshit. But he is good enough at the thing he really does in his job to be tolerated in his wackiness. Happens in a wide variety of disciplines.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Best way to beat George Dillman is just to be a non-believant and also move your tongue in the wrong spot. He said so himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z0_n7tGnK0

also never forget the time Stephan Bonnar was in a news report about the chi KO not working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdrzBL2dHMI

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 13, 2020

knox
Oct 28, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUVcv4i_SLg

King also destroyed Tyson's career once he became his mentor after Cus D'Amato died, making him fire his trainer Kevin Rooney & anybody left over. He lost 18 months later to Buster Douglas in one of the biggest upsets ever.

knox fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 25, 2020

knox
Oct 28, 2004

edit;doublepost

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Not sure where to post this: I started watching UFC when the very first came out on PPV and watched it all through the 90s when it was still a Gracie infommercial. Does ESPN streaming service provide every UFC, 1 on? I am thinking about reliving my childhood with those early spectacles, binging them all until I'm caught up to today. Where is it available.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Cheese Thief posted:

Not sure where to post this: I started watching UFC when the very first came out on PPV and watched it all through the 90s when it was still a Gracie infommercial. Does ESPN streaming service provide every UFC, 1 on? I am thinking about reliving my childhood with those early spectacles, binging them all until I'm caught up to today. Where is it available.

ESPN doesn't, you have to subscribe to the UFC's own streaming service, https://ufcfightpass.com/. This used to be a better deal because it was also where they'd host live prelims and fight nights, but that's all on ESPN now, so Fight Pass is $10 a month for access to the vault of old events and occasionally they'll host cards for smaller orgs like Invicta. On the plus side, the Fight Pass vault also has Pride and Strikeforce and othersuch stuff on it, so there's basically a lifetime's worth of MMA on it, depending on how hard you want to binge.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Also it probably doesn’t use your PC to mine cryptocurrency anymore! So that’s nice.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CarlCX posted:

ESPN doesn't, you have to subscribe to the UFC's own streaming service, https://ufcfightpass.com/. This used to be a better deal because it was also where they'd host live prelims and fight nights, but that's all on ESPN now, so Fight Pass is $10 a month for access to the vault of old events and occasionally they'll host cards for smaller orgs like Invicta. On the plus side, the Fight Pass vault also has Pride and Strikeforce and othersuch stuff on it, so there's basically a lifetime's worth of MMA on it, depending on how hard you want to binge.

It also includes a lot of non MMA stuff, like professional kickboxing and BJJ.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CarlCX posted:

Not sure if this is relevant to Cheese Thief or not, but if you're non-US then FightPass still does all the prelims and fight nights so it's still a good deal.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I think it's interesting, and I love the old fights. But I'm not sure if it's something I'd want to do. I went to Jiu Jitsu for a week, then I got a nasty staph infection on my foot and just stopped going. I don't want my joints all hosed up either. It's a shame, I wish there was some kind of sport I could do other than lifting weight in my living room.

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~

Mekchu posted:

Best way to beat George Dillman is just to be a non-believant and also move your tongue in the wrong spot. He said so himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z0_n7tGnK0

Or study at an actual martials arts school.

cough

Profighting tips; Asymmetry and you!

No matter what forms and functions are taught, it will regard being even with yourself. Left arm to right arm, left leg to right leg, all that.

However! Everyone on earth has something a lil off about them. It makes us special~

For example; I have a "trick knee" in my right leg. When kicking with my left, I still use proper fight form to swing it up, or inside and out. With my right, it doesn't have a normal hinge, and I can whip and flail it like a wrecking ball or a mace.

Use what is wrong with you to benefit in battle!

~Signed, former Tokusentai JET-O-MAN Hero.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Edit:wrong thread

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

The Golden Gael posted:

I'm new to these parts so I apologize if this isn't the right place or this is opening a can of worms. I wanna tell you about a fellow I've been researching though, named George Dillman. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfyuAM3ieAI

George claims he can perform no-touch knockouts and swears by pressure points as the deadliest place to strike a foe. He's taken a lot of flack in the last few decades by the next generation of martial artists that don't buy his bullshit. But what if I told you he was once one of the most revered karateka around, even training with Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali?

oh good this got accidentally bumped so i can finally link this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjbSCEhmjJA

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

[quote="CommonShore" ooooo ooh
[/quote]jo
Go
io

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Same.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Cam I please get a life update on elite xc’s resident rapper Jared “$kala” Shaw? His Twitter is dead, I hope he isn’t too.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

shadow puppet of a posted:

Cam I please get a life update on elite xc’s resident rapper Jared “$kala” Shaw? His Twitter is dead, I hope he isn’t too.

what are the odds this is just gary shaw's personal info

anyway i can't find anything about his son

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
i hope $kala finally found all the right ones and settled down

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

where is the stone cold smilie

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

albany academy posted:

where is the stone cold smilie
This is apropos of nothing in the thread but I literally grew up across the street from the soccer field of your username. Really unexpected to see that in an SA thread. :aaa:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What's the regular career length for an MMA fighter? 5 years of active competition?

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 12, 2021

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

What's the regular career length for an MMA fighter? 5 years of active competition?

I feel like you'd have to put a bunch of qualifiers on there to come up with an answer that would have a pretty wide range.

mewse
May 2, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

Someone ran the numbers (I can't remember if it was just UFC fighters or all MMA fighters from sherdog) and the average was 9 years with lots of outliers

https://www.fightopinion.com/2011/06/19/9-year-rule-mma-ufc/

These guys decided it's 12.5 years

https://mmaclan.com/average-career-length-of-an-mma-fighter/

mewse fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 12, 2021

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I feel like you'd have to put a bunch of qualifiers on there to come up with an answer that would have a pretty wide range.

Yeah, reading the two articles linked below have kind of a narrow scope. The 12 year one is just looking at "the top 15 retired UFC fighters"

I know from the experience of looking up fighter records with the idea of doing some kind of math to them, there are tons of dudes who take 1 pro fight, lose, and never step in the cage again

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

For very successful and talented fighters (all the ones we've seen on PPV), from my gut, I would say 15-20 fights in the highest tier org that your career reaches.

If you're including anyone who's ever fought in a sanctioned match, pro or amateur, I'd wager the mean would be closer to 3-5. Plenty of people wash out after a couple fights show them they have nowhere to go in the psort.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's so up in the air. One of my coaches is a local pro MMA fighters who is getting older and older (for a pro fighter) and the question of giving up on pro fights is met with "I know I should, but...". Like, in terms of when the arc of his career, its possibilities, narrowed down into a forgone conclusion is a relatively short period of time, but when is he actually going to stop fighting? Who knows, probably years later than he should.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I personally know two guys who have had 30+ fights. One is in his early 30s with a lovely record and he should retire but he keeps losing worse and worse every time and chasing the dragon. The other is now in his early 40s and has more fights and wins than 99% of fighters. He retired in his late 30s when his wife pointed out to him that he hates actually doing the training camp and eating heaps of spinach. He started a comeback after a couple of years away from fighting but got fed up dealing with promoters and skeezy BS and walked away forever.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I guess I’m just wondering how long one can stay at their peak with peak being defined as reigning champion in their weight class.

I’d imagine that the training and fights one must endure to even be up for a championship match must take a toll on the body with the potential of nagging injuries, that’s a fighters average time as champ must be short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

I guess I’m just wondering how long one can stay at their peak with peak being defined as reigning champion in their weight class.

I’d imagine that the training and fights one must endure to even be up for a championship match must take a toll on the body with the potential of nagging injuries, that’s a fighters average time as champ must be short.

The champs that reign for a long time generally figure out how to take minimal damage in most of their fights, and use their clout to fight very infrequently. So while a hungry fighter may have 3+ fights a year, it's not uncommon for a champ to fight once per year or even less.

A big issue here is that the champs are outliers. You can't look at them and extrapolate to fighters generally.

I don't think there's a data set that's going to answer your questions. I think you'll need to dig through fighter records and develop a holistic understanding.