Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy poo poo it's real - a part of me thought it was a photoshop.

Again, so loving choked my trip was cancelled to Japan this year. I would have went loving HARD at the Godzilla stores (and put money aside to get an original Famicom). :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Holy poo poo- a friend of mine in Baltimore was cleaning out his warehouse and mailed me this large lad. 22" long Maganulon from Rodan! X-Plus soft vinyl from 1998!

https://twitter.com/Kaiju_Sommelier/status/1315070929974648832?s=20

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Holy poo poo- a friend of mine in Baltimore was cleaning out his warehouse and mailed me this large lad. 22" long Maganulon from Rodan! X-Plus soft vinyl from 1998!

He's gorgeous

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

That thing looks awesome and I want one.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

OptimusShr posted:

That thing looks awesome and I want one.

Apparently it’s rare! Only 500 made. I’m amazed by this

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
The first time I saw Rodan I was convinced someone had put the wrong tape in the VHS box because for the first 20 minutes instead of a giant monster movie it's a horror bug movie. Then I got to the reveal and :aaaaa:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Desumaytah posted:

The first time I saw Rodan I was convinced someone had put the wrong tape in the VHS box because for the first 20 minutes instead of a giant monster movie it's a horror bug movie. Then I got to the reveal and :aaaaa:

I love showing people Rodan without them knowing the trick. Its near impossible but when it happens.

Rodan is all about escalation

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Burkion posted:

I love showing people Rodan without them knowing the trick. Its near impossible but when it happens.

Rodan is all about escalation

KoTM was a movie that had better moments than worked as a whole and I still contend that it's Rodan is still the best that has ever been commited to film before.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

KoTM was a movie that had better moments than worked as a whole and I still contend that it's Rodan is still the best that has ever been commited to film before.

i genuinely think the monster bits in KotM might actually be the best monster stuff in the entire Godzilla franchise.

the human stuff is on a spectrum from "kinda just there" to "actively bad" depending on what specific elements we're talking, but i really can't hate that movie, simply because the monster action in it is so utterly goddamn fantastic.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Question for y'all - is there a good book that goes over the Godzilla productions? Like a behind-the-scenes look at the film series?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

i genuinely think the monster bits in KotM might actually be the best monster stuff in the entire Godzilla franchise.

the human stuff is on a spectrum from "kinda just there" to "actively bad" depending on what specific elements we're talking, but i really can't hate that movie, simply because the monster action in it is so utterly goddamn fantastic.

There's still better kaiju stuff, but it's goddamn up there.

This is a movie where they really, really did not try on the human stuff but goddamn did they knock the kaiju sections out of the park. All of the monsters have agency and character, the action is great, the quiet moments are wonderful

I'd take an entire prehistoric ancient civilization Godzilla movie and eat it up for years

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The kaiju stuff is pretty good, even if it's relatively short and entirely in the dark and the rain. But, like, Godzilla never once dances or flies, what the hell?!

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Question for y'all - is there a good book that goes over the Godzilla productions? Like a behind-the-scenes look at the film series?

There's a book I've owned since I was a kid called "Japan's Favorite Mon-Star: The Unauthorized Biography of the Big G" (yes, really, I guess they couldn't use Godzilla in the title) that does this for all the movies up until the 1998 one. It mostly holds up, even if it's way out of date. Same author wrote a biography of Ishiro Honda.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 11, 2020

Violator
May 15, 2003

There was a black and white Godzilla book I had as a kid that had an orange cover. I think it was part of a series with different monsters and I wish I could find it again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s not strictly Godzilla bts, but a friend bought me that Eiji Tsuburaya book a couple years ago and I absolutely love it. It’s a great look at the effects work in the early G movies.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Violator posted:

There was a black and white Godzilla book I had as a kid that had an orange cover. I think it was part of a series with different monsters and I wish I could find it again.

That is the famous Crestwood House Monster Series which is a treasured childhood memory for many of us.

Edit: poo poo here you go, the Godzilla book courtesy of archive.org

david_a fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 11, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I actually found this at a used book shop just recently.

It's got some pretty interesting stuff about the creation of the movies, although no behind the scenes photos which would've been nice. And it's super dismissive of the Toho movies for using suits instead of stop motion. But the Toho movies had what the old movies couldn't, dust and explosions, so which is more impressive really?

It also confidently predicts that the 76 King Kong remake will be more successful than Jaws.

Violator
May 15, 2003

david_a posted:

That is the famous Crestwood House Monster Series which is a treasured childhood memory for many of us.

Holy poo poo. Thank you!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

A Dapper Walrus posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Critical-History-Filmography-Tohos-Godzilla/dp/1476672946

I think this covers what you're looking for.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

The kaiju stuff is pretty good, even if it's relatively short and entirely in the dark and the rain. But, like, Godzilla never once dances or flies, what the hell?!

There's a book I've owned since I was a kid called "Japan's Favorite Mon-Star: The Unauthorized Biography of the Big G" (yes, really, I guess they couldn't use Godzilla in the title) that does this for all the movies up until the 1998 one. It mostly holds up, even if it's way out of date. Same author wrote a biography of Ishiro Honda.

Thanks so much for both of these recommendations! And I'll try to check out the Tsuburaya book too - I'm about halfway through the first Ultraman series and enjoying it a lot.

In other news, just got through Megalon and holy poo poo is it cheesy. Extremely fun but it's such a complete departure in tone. The leader of Seatopia and the coconut 'bonk' sound effect in the film are some personal favorite moments of mine.

But that aside, I really did enjoy the Megalon suit - it's a shame he never really appeared in any future films. But I might be biased toward him because I spent so much time playing Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters back when I was a kid.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

david_a posted:

I read tons of those Crestwood House books from my school library, but don't think I ever saw the Godzilla one.

The Official Godzilla Compendium was the book that really got me into the movies, right around the time I made friends with someone who had a bunch of VHS fansubs of them.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
There are a ton of books at a bookstore in Seattle that look like they would have lots of interesting behind the scenes stuff if I could read any Japanese at all.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

A Dapper Walrus posted:

In other news, just got through Megalon and holy poo poo is it cheesy. Extremely fun but it's such a complete departure in tone. The leader of Seatopia and the coconut 'bonk' sound effect in the film are some personal favorite moments of mine.

But that aside, I really did enjoy the Megalon suit - it's a shame he never really appeared in any future films. But I might be biased toward him because I spent so much time playing Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters back when I was a kid.

Megalon was my first classic Godzilla movie - specifically because I was looking for maximum cheese - and I freaking loved it. Watched many others from all the various eras now but that particular string of movies - Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon, Mechagodzilla, Terror - is still closest to my heart

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Megalon was the only G film I saw in the theater when it came to the States until Godzilla 1985 (it's US title) so I have a soft spot for it. Megalon is a really neat kaiju design wise as well. I wish I had a soft vinyl of him; the original Bullmark ones are rare.

Megalon is also very popular in Japan.

Edit: X-Plus is putting out a new Large Monster Series Megalon for the collectors- https://us.ric-toy.com/411-p3ml06r-wldna.html

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 12, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

edit: oops

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nikumatic posted:

I read tons of those Crestwood House books from my school library, but don't think I ever saw the Godzilla one.

Oddly my elementary school library didn't have the big ones like Dracula or Frankenstein but it did have Godzilla. They also had The Deadly Mantis which I thought was really cool but never actually saw until the MST3K version a decade and some change later.

Was there not a Them! book? I could have sworn there was.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Here are my Showa Godzilla rankings so far

Godzilla > Ghiodrah The Three-Headed Monster > Mothra vs Godzilla > King Kong vs Godzilla > Invasion of Astro-Monster > Godzilla Raids Again

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Gripweed posted:

Here are my Showa Godzilla rankings so far

Godzilla > Ghiodrah The Three-Headed Monster > Mothra vs Godzilla > King Kong vs Godzilla > Invasion of Astro-Monster > Godzilla Raids Again

Solid. I'd bump Astro-Monster up near Ghidorah personally though.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

david_a posted:

Yes! These were so good!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Megalon was both the nadir of the Showa series and also partly responsible for Godzilla’s longevity. Cinema Shares’ US release was a hit which led to the rest of the Showa films getting released and with them you had licensing deals like the Marvel comic book and the Hannah Barbera cartoon, and all this told Toho that Godzilla had really become an international icon. Which was more of an impetus to make another movie.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's a good thing, too, since after that came the two MechaGodzilla films. One of the high points of the Showa series, for me anyways.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

We've all had nights like this, am I right?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

This was one of my favorite shots/ideas as a kid

Stumbling on Godzilla or any other giant monster sleeping in some rando gently caress off cave. It's peak child adventure stuff

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Gripweed posted:

this is me rn

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

It's a good thing, too, since after that came the two MechaGodzilla films. One of the high points of the Showa series, for me anyways.

The American release came in 1976, after the Showa series was wrapped up, but it was one of the reasons Toho started looking into getting the series going again. (Even angling for a US coproduction.) There are a lot of vaguely developed Godzilla projects in the late 70s that never got off the ground, simply because the industry still wasn't healthy enough to try.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Y'know how people say "cellar door" is the most aesthetically pleasing English phrase? They're wrong. The most aesthetically pleasing phrase in the English language is SHERBET OPERATION IN SOLL-GEL ISLAND.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You can't fool me, Toho. That little tank that comes out of the rocket in Destroy All Monsters has to have been originally built for an episode of Ultraman.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I can't find a better picture of it online, I assume because of a conspiracy to hide the truth, but come on look at this loving thing

and now look at the jet from Ultraman

That is a goddamn Ultraman SSSP vehicle, Toho. I don't know if it was for an episode that never got made, or if they were gonna have the SSSP in Return of Ultraman but then switched it to MAT after already having made some more SSSP stuff, but that thing was made for Ultraman. I will stake my credibility on this.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yes, but the SSSP Jet VTOL was a reused and repainted prop from the Tsuburaya movie Gorath which was filmed around 4 years before Ultraman :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Don't they straight reuse a Godzilla suit in Ultraman?