Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

64bit_Dophins posted:

Steve Job's dream of ADC is finally realized (and apple had nothing to do with it).
You could argue they helped spur adoption of USB-C by going all in with their laptops pretty early on :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

64bit_Dophins posted:

The Totu usb-c dock is a major win. Thank you Crunchy Black for recommending it.

NP! Just don't try and hook a 3rd external display up and expect to turn it portrait! :D

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Crunchy Black posted:

NP! Just don't try and hook a 3rd external display up and expect to turn it portrait! :D

It even works with my work computer! It also charges the X1 which the thinkpad branded dock doesn't do! Please excuse my lovely rear end WFH setup btw lol.

Noted! I'm only ever plan on using it for two DP monitors. I might give it a shot though just to see what happens.

japtor posted:

You could argue they helped spur adoption of USB-C by going all in with their laptops pretty early on :v:

I guess that is true. Apple has always wanted the one true cable.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 9, 2020

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
I recently took the plunge and upgraded to a (refurbished) 13" MBP. So far it''s quite a noticeable step up from my much-loved 2014 MBP, which is sadly on its last legs. But one thing I already miss is MagSafe. What's the best current choice for a USB-C magnetic charging replacement? Preferably with data capability. It appears that that most reviews are for products that have been discontinued or are not widely distributed. I'm in Canada and a reputable, non-Amazon source would be great.

Looking ahead, I'm also wondering if it would be possible to put the magnetic connection between the laptop and a dock with power / a video connection to an external display. It would be sweet to have just the one link when I want to plug everything in at my desk.

gloom fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 10, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I haven’t had any problems with the USB-C but most/all of the MagSafe adapter things freak me out even if they came from a reputable source.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I tried one where the design was really nice except it had the holding power of an old fridge magnet

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You’ll get used to USB-C in a week. The magnet things all suck.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Former 2014 base 13” Air user, moved to a surface pro 4 for the past few years, now need to be able to do HD video editing and encoding (maybe some 4K now and then) at a decent speed, but don’t want to give up on a portable laptop. Mostly use adobe products, especially premiere. Have been wavering between MBP and idk a dell or something.

Is there a significant difference in performance between similarly-specced 13” and 16” MBPs? Like, does the extra space let the cpu run without getting as hot?

Should I expect that the ARM MacBook Pro is worth waiting for? I can wait; not in any hurry to drop the $.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Former 2014 base 13” Air user, moved to a surface pro 4 for the past few years, now need to be able to do HD video editing and encoding (maybe some 4K now and then) at a decent speed, but don’t want to give up on a portable laptop. Mostly use adobe products, especially premiere. Have been wavering between MBP and idk a dell or something.

Is there a significant difference in performance between similarly-specced 13” and 16” MBPs? Like, does the extra space let the cpu run without getting as hot?

Should I expect that the ARM MacBook Pro is worth waiting for? I can wait; not in any hurry to drop the $.

A 16" MBP will absolutely smoke a 13" for video editing and encoding. The 16" has 2x the CPU cores, a massively higher spec cooling system to let them run fast, and a discrete AMD Radeon GPU instead of relying on Intel integrated video.

All that said, I have no feel for whether a mid- or high-end 13" would suit your particular needs. It might be enough. I can only inform you that yes, there's a really significant performance gap between the two.

ARM MacsBooks (Pro) will probably be great. Nobody knows the schedule for which ones get converted first, or exactly when that will happen. Best guesstimations and rumor mill churn suggest that the 13" Pro gets replaced with an ARM equivalent before the 16" does, and the 16" might not go until well into next year, but who really knows. Best guesstimations also indicate that a 13" class ARM MBP might be in the same performance territory as the current 16" Intel, if not better. But once again, nobody knows anything for sure.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

BobHoward posted:

A 16" MBP will absolutely smoke a 13" for video editing and encoding. The 16" has 2x the CPU cores, a massively higher spec cooling system to let them run fast, and a discrete AMD Radeon GPU instead of relying on Intel integrated video.

All that said, I have no feel for whether a mid- or high-end 13" would suit your particular needs. It might be enough. I can only inform you that yes, there's a really significant performance gap between the two.

ARM MacsBooks (Pro) will probably be great. Nobody knows the schedule for which ones get converted first, or exactly when that will happen. Best guesstimations and rumor mill churn suggest that the 13" Pro gets replaced with an ARM equivalent before the 16" does, and the 16" might not go until well into next year, but who really knows. Best guesstimations also indicate that a 13" class ARM MBP might be in the same performance territory as the current 16" Intel, if not better. But once again, nobody knows anything for sure.

Personally as someone who also relies on Adobe software to make a living I wouldn’t assume that those specific tools are going to be in a good place for Mac ARM 1.0. Like, if you use CC on Catalina, do you really want that on the first version of Apple silicon? I don’t. If you can switch to Affinity/Final Cut that might mitigate the risk. Just look at what Adobe offers on the iPad. It’s poo poo.

The 16” is a great machine, if you need mobile Mac OS video I’d say it’s the only real option.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003

jokes posted:

I haven’t had any problems with the USB-C but most/all of the MagSafe adapter things freak me out even if they came from a reputable source.

Fallom posted:

I tried one where the design was really nice except it had the holding power of an old fridge magnet

Bob Morales posted:

You’ll get used to USB-C in a week. The magnet things all suck.
Thanks all, I'll skip the third-party magnets. I was a little worried about tripping over the cable, but I'll just be more careful.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Luckily the USB-C charging cable can be replaced easily if that's ever a problem. The port should be just fine too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jokes posted:

Luckily the USB-C charging cable can be replaced easily if that's ever a problem. The port should be just fine too.

I think it's probably less about the cable and more about yoinking the MacBook off of whatever surface it's on.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I see the MBP stuff was just discussed and is helpful, but if someone feels they absolutely need a 13" for its size, is the i7 much more worth it over the i5 for video editing? Video editing will be HD. If 4K is needed, they'll use smaller res proxies.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

I think it's probably less about the cable and more about yoinking the MacBook off of whatever surface it's on.
Yeah, in my case it was this. The way my room is arranged, I often set my notebook on the bed when I get up for something, and I've pulled the power cable with my foot more than a few times coming back to sit down. But I think I'm going to just leave it unplugged and run on battery during the day, and charge it on my desk at night. No cord during use, no tripping, no problem.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Good Sphere posted:

I see the MBP stuff was just discussed and is helpful, but if someone feels they absolutely need a 13" for its size, is the i7 much more worth it over the i5 for video editing? Video editing will be HD. If 4K is needed, they'll use smaller res proxies.

It’s only like 10% faster

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

So, I just spilled wine on my 2015 MBP. It shut down within a few seconds. Is it at all salvageable or am I as hosed as I assume I am?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I had a realization today after getting hosed on this twice, and I suppose this is pertinant info for you, 64bit dolphins, if you're trying to drive a 4k display on that dock,
A. the Displaylink driver can't interface with zoom. At least not at 4k. You cannot share a window with it. It will always default to just sharing the entirety of your macbook display and not inform you about it at all! I didn't try to do a whole screen but I can't imagine that would solve a problem for anyone, nor that it would be able to do it given the context.
B. If you do have a 4k display hooked up, that's what disables/borks the 3rd display output into a glorified USB display. Bandwidth issues? Drivers? Idk but its stil really annoying.

I've got half a mind to hook my 'gaming' 1080p 27" up in place of the 4k 27" on the work desk during some downtime tomorrow to see if this prompts any changes. I *think* I'd prefer having 3 1080s over a 4k and a 1080 but I guess we'll see.

skull mask mcgee posted:

So, I just spilled wine on my 2015 MBP. It shut down within a few seconds. Is it at all salvageable or am I as hosed as I assume I am?
If it shut down without you manually powering it down as quickly as possible I'd say you're quite hosed.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 12, 2020

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Sort of a weird question maybe someone's had this happen before. If you request a return shipping box for a repair, and then the box gets so badly damaged that you can't use it, is there any way to get a replacement for the box itself? Apple website is not helpful.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Crunchy Black posted:

If it shut down without you manually powering it down as quickly as possible I'd say you're quite hosed.

That’s what I figured :(

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
My mid-2012 Air suddenly shut down randomly a few weeks ago. Booting it up doesn't work since it shuts down by itself, even in safe mode. I have never even spilled anything on it. :(

Crunchy Black posted:

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I’m coming into some cash soon and am looking at updating my set up at home, I currently have a late 2013 iMac 27” which has served me well over the years, I’m debating purchasing a MacBook Pro to replace it, ideally the 13” model, my iMac mostly gets used for photoshop and video editing/converting (it also acts as my plex media server but that can be changed) I don’t really work in anything above HD and only occasionally convert 4K videos in Handbrake for plex, this is all purely for a hobby, the reason I want to go for a laptop is that in my job I regularly get long 12 hour shifts with very little to do so could be working on my video projects etc.
What do you guys think? Do you think the Pro would suit my needs? If I’m honest I haven’t kept up with modern computer specifications so i need to do some research

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco has $100 off plus 15% back as a Costco Cash card on the base model 16" Macbook Pro if you pay with their Costco Visa card. Works out to about $1955
https://www.costco.com/apple-macbook-pro-16%22-with-touch-bar---intel-core-i7---16gb-memory---512gb-ssd.product.100518099.html

4 year warranty as well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Gaz2k21 posted:

I’m coming into some cash soon and am looking at updating my set up at home, I currently have a late 2013 iMac 27” which has served me well over the years, I’m debating purchasing a MacBook Pro to replace it, ideally the 13” model, my iMac mostly gets used for photoshop and video editing/converting (it also acts as my plex media server but that can be changed) I don’t really work in anything above HD and only occasionally convert 4K videos in Handbrake for plex, this is all purely for a hobby, the reason I want to go for a laptop is that in my job I regularly get long 12 hour shifts with very little to do so could be working on my video projects etc.
What do you guys think? Do you think the Pro would suit my needs? If I’m honest I haven’t kept up with modern computer specifications so i need to do some research

Yeah if a 2013 iMac is meeting your editing needs, the 2020 13” Pro will blow you away. Screen real estate will take some getting used to but it’ll function just fine.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Costco online has a “hot buy” until the 16th of October.

The deal also includes 50% off AppleCare+

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 12, 2020

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

tuyop posted:

Yeah if a 2013 iMac is meeting your editing needs, the 2020 13” Pro will blow you away. Screen real estate will take some getting used to but it’ll function just fine.

I have a spare 40” flatscreen I’m planning on using when at home so that’s gonna help, that’s cool I can put the extra cash into getting a bigger HDD

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man, my Macbook air runs like poo poo since this update. Wonderful.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

veni veni veni posted:

Man, my Macbook air runs like poo poo since this update. Wonderful.
Yea my 2016 MBP has been an absolute dog on the Big Sur beta, I’ve been hoping it’s just because it’s a beta but it’ll really suck if the full release is this bad.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My fully released and supported version of MacOS 10.15 "Catalina" is running great FWIW

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

My fully released and supported version of MacOS 10.15 "Catalina" is running great FWIW

Do you have the courage to load Big Sur? Didn't think so.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Don't use beta software on your everyday machine.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Also don't install WINE on your MacBook.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Wine is good. How else do you expect me to play GOTY 2003 and recently rereleased on GoG Freedom Fighters?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I think forums user "skull mask mcgee" back there may disagree.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

American McGay posted:

Wine is good. How else do you expect me to play GOTY 2003 and recently rereleased on GoG Freedom Fighters?

Wine on Catalina is not good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not using the beta. This was just the regular rear end update, that I actually didn't even authorize which was weird.

It seems to be running better now though. not sure what happened there it was just laggy as hell to do anything for most of the day.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Crunchy Black posted:

I once had an entire beer spilled on my 09 MBP and it instantly shut off. Turned it into upside down v to drain, and it came back to life a week later. Ran fine for about 3 more years before the logic board died. I probably got incredibly lucky though.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

irpoweroutlet posted:

I once had an entire beer spilled on my 09 MBP and it instantly shut off. Turned it into upside down v to drain, and it came back to life a week later. Ran fine for about 3 more years before the logic board died. I probably got incredibly lucky though.

American beer mostly water joke here

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

American McGay posted:

Don't use beta software on your everyday machine.
It’s not, I rarely use that laptop now which is why I decided to use it to give the beta a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Here's a question for y'all. In my line of work I have found it easiest to buy pretty much the biggest, most expensive specced up mbp because then it will remain relevant to my income generating for about five years, which is a drat long time for a laptop doing media work. I have done this every five years or so nearly without fail - once a MBP pro died after only three - we're talking 2002-2007-2010-2015. See what I'm getting at? It's that time again, the 2015 isn't holding up as well as it used to.

What is the significance of the ARM switchover? When they left behind Core 2 Duo or whatever and went to i3/5/7 I waited and got an i7 and I think that was worthwhile, but ARM in a laptop seems a lot more of a question mark. What is the claimed improvement? Everything I read is corporate poo poo about Apple not having to buy processors and designing their own instead, and I don't work at Apple or own stock so I don't give a gently caress. Functionally for me, what's changing? Will software compatibility be affected? I'll miss boot camp but I'm not a big pc gamer anyway. Is this an actual performance jump? Will lovely developers like Avid be expected to fully rewrite software they have barely even improved since 1990? Or should I just buy the last Intel they make.

Obviously I wouldn't buy until line-waiting weirdos have spent a couple months beta testing for the rest of us and there's some discussion online about it, but are there predictions being made about this change?