Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

they should go full wacky graphics card naming. apple iphone 12 super mini xc3 ftw gamer

iPhone 12 mini pro-gold extreme value edition 2021+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
this season's discount luxury offering

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

infernal machines posted:

they're releasing an iphone, what else do you want?
apple silicon.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

iphones are boring now, release the apple silicon mac mini with good gpu tim

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Granite Octopus posted:

iphones are boring now, release the apple silicon mac mini with good gpu tim

yeah

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
release an iPhone that transforms into a Mac mini with a dick slot.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

apple shillicon

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

ratbert90 posted:

release an iPhone that transforms into a Mac mini with a dick slot.

:getin:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Granite Octopus posted:

release the apple silicon mac mini with good gpu tim

this is what I want.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
actual good gpus in every mac is extremely my poo poo, intel kept disappointing on that front for so so long

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BobHoward posted:

actual good gpus in every mac is extremely my poo poo, intel kept disappointing on that front for so so long

maybe now with phil gone it might actually happen.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
apple gon make they’re own gpu or use nvidia?

nvidia obv make good gpus but suppose they also don’t particularly focus on low power use right?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

their own

if they were going to use anybody else's it'd be amd, they've been in some kind of hostile standoff with nvidia for years (which should make for interesting times if nvidia's acquisition of ARM Holdings goes through)

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

can't wait for big sur to make my macbook pro faster but also far, far uglier.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it’s going to disable the screen?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

hobbesmaster posted:

they should go full wacky graphics card naming. apple iphone 12 super mini xc3 ftw gamer

iPhone 12 mini ex2 alpha

not for another month

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BobHoward posted:

their own

if they were going to use anybody else's it'd be amd, they've been in some kind of hostile standoff with nvidia for years (which should make for interesting times if nvidia's acquisition of ARM Holdings goes through)

afaik apple hold a perpetual arm license, possibly for this purpose

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BobHoward posted:

their own

*there're'wn

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

we discussed this a few pages back. apple were literally one of the founding partners of arm when acorn spun it off 30 years ago. I imagine they got something in return for that.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Soricidus posted:

it’s going to disable the screen?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m so glad acorn computer now sucksess

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

to clarify, i don't think they'll have any problems with the rights to make arm cpus, the place where i think there's potential fireworks is future improvements to aarch64. i'm sure there can be pissing wars over that

another place to look for explody heads (this one doesn't have anything to do with apple) is that this would change the status quo, where arm holdings absolutely never competes with its own clients. they design and license ip cores, they do not design and sell chips (beyond engineering test chips that never get used for other purposes). this let their licensees feel safe (*) about relying on arm for one of the most important ip cores in their chips. it's a bit hard to see nvidia sticking to that model, considering they already don't. this won't affect apple since none of their business is selling chips to other companies, but might be a hard thing to swallow for the likes of qualcomm

basically, arm being anything other than a neutral independent is going to be interesting times

* it might seem weird, but prior to product launch, one of the most important secrets in the fabless semi design business is the product spec. design houses have relationships with customers they've worked with before, and use them to figure out what those customers want, and then they build something those customers will buy. if a competitor gets a copy of that feature list early enough, they can just build their own version, and possibly manage to steal the design win.

so, it's super awkward if the company you have to license cpu (and other) cores from is part of a bigger company which is your competitor, or might try to become your competitor. just the contract negotiations could leak enough info about what you're doing to create unwanted competition

similar stuff applies in chip fab too. tsmc got where it is today by taking incredible pains to cultivate a perfect rep as a truly neutral fab which absolutely never would even think of trying to design its own products or leak what you're doing to your competitors who also use tsmc. just like arm holdings they have these self imposed lines which they will not cross

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
iphone 12: Ice Cream Sandwich

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
iphone X-2

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
everything leaked btw

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1315996365017628672

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1315994571382423553

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1316000086929797120

poty fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 13, 2020

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
HomePod magic cauldron

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
maté iGourd

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
ugh I hope that’s not true, I want the 12 mini to be a small goodphone not the return of the 5c

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

the pros honestly have enough holes of different sizes to trigger that lotus-flower effect in me

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the pros honestly have enough holes of different sizes to trigger that lotus-flower effect in me

nah not nearly enough holes imo

cheesegrater iphone pro when

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

tim bring on the brundle iphone

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/timsneath/status/1315067661600972800

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

lmao. loving lidar

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

little bit of a web 1.0 vibe for you there

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao. loving lidar

this is the year people care about AR, we swear!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

killer app!

but seriously, you know what'll get me to buy a new iphone after having this se for four years? a 5.4in. iphone

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

but seriously, you know what'll get me to buy a new iphone after having this se for four years? a 5.4in. iphone

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

but seriously, you know what'll get me to buy a new iphone after having this se for four years? dropping this one on the floor into a puddle like the 4S I had before it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’ve had an ipad pro with lidar for 6 months and have used that feature exactly zero times