Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DorianGravy posted:

Is there anyone the Heat can pick up to take them over the top? Alternately, what about the Nuggets? Both teams won my heart this year, and now that the Lakers got theirs, I wouldn't mind seeing a Nuggets/Heat finals next year.

Heat are kind of in a spot where they need to decide if they're serious about chasing Giannis or want to make another run with this unit because it's gonna be hard to do both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

Is there anyone the Heat can pick up to take them over the top? Alternately, what about the Nuggets? Both teams won my heart this year, and now that the Lakers got theirs, I wouldn't mind seeing a Nuggets/Heat finals next year.

The Nuggets just need MPJ to develop, and maybe a better SG. If MPJ could reliably catch the basketball and drive to the hoop, and play consistent team defense, the Nuggets go from a surprise team in the WCF to a contender. They were an average three point shooting team and a slightly below average defensive team, so that’s what needs to get better

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Some interesting FA pieces that could sign for contenders for the MLE or whatever, maybe taking a discount:

Millsap
Gallinari
Wes Matthews
Davis Bertans
Serge Ibaka
Derrick Favors
Jerami Grant

The market really sucks so who knows what some of these guys will do. Some of them will have a hard time getting their true value.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Bertans is probably the best one other than FVV to be actually available and he is going to get an insane contract from someone.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 13, 2020

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Rick posted:

Heat are kind of in a spot where they need to decide if they're serious about chasing Giannis or want to make another run with this unit because it's gonna be hard to do both.

I mean the Heat are in a position where just regular player development should carry them a bit, and the league doesn't seem to be in a place where any of the teams are particularly beyond them. And upgrading on Crowder/Olynyk/Iguodala seems like something that shouldn't be too hard but could yield fairly substantial benefits.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

MourningView posted:

Bertans is probably the best one other than FVV to be actually available and he is get an insane contract from someone.

Yeah, I kind of imagine FVV is just gonna get a deal from someone with cap space or he'll re-sign in Toronto as the heir apparent to Lowry.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

DorianGravy posted:

The Nuggets really don't need to do much other than continue to develop Bol and MPJ. Hopefully they can re-resign Grant.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

jackofarcades posted:

Some interesting FA pieces that could sign for contenders for the MLE or whatever, maybe taking a discount:

Millsap
Gallinari
Wes Matthews
Davis Bertans
Serge Ibaka
Derrick Favors
Jerami Grant

The market really sucks so who knows what some of these guys will do. Some of them will have a hard time getting their true value.

It doesn't seem like any of these guys outside of maybe Matthews would sign for MLE money or maybe Millsap. Maybe I'm misreading this offseason.

leftist heap fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 13, 2020

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I also think Denver could've pushed LA to 7 or even won if they had a healthy Will Barton

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

That Iggy extension is even more hilarious now because he was brought in to help on a deep run when inexplicably happened but he ended up being garbo and now you can't even say you're paying for Playoff Iggy anymore

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 13, 2020

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I could see the Heat keeping their powder dry this season unless Milwaukee makes a huge trade and develops a superteam. No one else on the top tier of the Eastern Conference is poised to make a huge upgrade.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Dragic and Butter will be worse next year (Jimmy couldn't possibly be better), but you'd expect that to be offset by improvement from Bam and Herro. If Dragic really falls off a cliff due to age or injury issues then they would need to get a competent PG, but otherwise they are well set to run it back and still have max space in 2021 for Giannis/Kawhi.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Dragic and Butter will be worse next year (Jimmy couldn't possibly be better), but you'd expect that to be offset by improvement from Bam and Herro. If Dragic really falls off a cliff due to age or injury issues then they would need to get a competent PG, but otherwise they are well set to run it back and still have max space in 2021 for Giannis/Kawhi.

The problem is that vets don't usually take short term deals and they would need Dragic to do that to have money in 2021, because that year Bam and Duncan Robinson come due too.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Gobert is the big fish this off-season that is mostly flying under the radar.

He has one year left on his deal and is eligible for the super max due to his DPOY awards. But that is a ton of moolah to pay a guy who will be 29 when that extension starts and allegedly doesn't have the best relationship with your other franchise player. If Utah try to cheap out and don't offer a max extension this season what does Gobert do? And if he turns down their offers and decides to play out the year and become ab FA in 2021 then as Utah do you let it play out and probably lose him? Or try and move him now for value, breaking up a good team (but one that is maybe not good enough?).

I can see teams making some tempting offers for Gobert if it becomes known he isn't signing an extension in Utah and is keeping his options open. Celtics would be a perfect landing spot.

Rick posted:

The problem is that vets don't usually take short term deals and they would need Dragic to do that to have money in 2021, because that year Bam and Duncan Robinson come due too.

Miami are about $45m under the tax as it stands. They can offer Dragic and Crowder $16m/1yr deals each. With future cap uncertainty it's be really hard to turn that money down as an older player. Neither of them will sniff that one year value for the rest of their career.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 13, 2020

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Gobert for Hayward who says no

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Metapod posted:

Utah

Utah says no

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

leftist heap posted:

It doesn't seem like any of these guys outside of maybe Matthews would sign for MLE money or maybe Millsap. Maybe I'm misreading this offseason.

This is the 2020 cap space and I think teams wanna try to keep their options open for 2021:

1 ATL $44.3M
2 NYK $42.4M
3 DET $30.0M
4 MIA $21.9M
5 CHA $19.4M
6 PHX $18.9M

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
FVV on the suns could be nasty.

Then again poo poo I forgot they had Cameron Payne.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Too bad NY is gonna give him the max

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
There is nothing I want more than for that dude from my hometown to get overpaid by a lovely organization.

He made it out of Rockford, he deserves every bit of it.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I'd like to get angry or happy about a Pacers coach soon if they could get on that.

Dexo posted:

FVV on the suns could be nasty.

Someone is going to super overpay FVV. Probably on day 1 of Free Agency.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

tanglewood1420 posted:

Gobert is the big fish this off-season that is mostly flying under the radar.

He has one year left on his deal and is eligible for the super max due to his DPOY awards. But that is a ton of moolah to pay a guy who will be 29 when that extension starts and allegedly doesn't have the best relationship with your other franchise player. If Utah try to cheap out and don't offer a max extension this season what does Gobert do? And if he turns down their offers and decides to play out the year and become ab FA in 2021 then as Utah do you let it play out and probably lose him? Or try and move him now for value, breaking up a good team (but one that is maybe not good enough?).

I can see teams making some tempting offers for Gobert if it becomes known he isn't signing an extension in Utah and is keeping his options open. Celtics would be a perfect landing spot.

Miami are about $45m under the tax as it stands. They can offer Dragic and Crowder $16m/1yr deals each. With future cap uncertainty it's be really hard to turn that money down as an older player. Neither of them will sniff that one year value for the rest of their career.

I don't know I feel like every year we speculate this will be the year the vets take short term money and it just doesn't happen but I guess it works that way.

If anyone is curious how we are coming by these numbers: http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=8384959285f8540be58d29999017222

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Athanatos posted:

I'd like to get angry or happy about a Pacers coach soon if they could get on that.

Someone is going to super overpay FVV. Probably on day 1 of Free Agency.

Rumors are Knicks are prepared to offer him 22-25m per

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

If I'm miami I just spend that money on FVV and Grant.

And if Giannis wants to come you can make room if need be.

Unless the Knicks are really gonna pay him like THAT

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Rumors are Knicks are prepared to offer him 22-25m per

Knicks give FVV a max and do a sign and trade for Oladipo for also a boat load of cash then make the shocked face when they don't get Giannis next year.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Dexo posted:

If I'm miami I just spend that money on FVV and Grant.

And if Giannis wants to come you can make room if need be.

Unless the Knicks are really gonna pay him like THAT

Agreed. I would love for the Heat to sign Grant. I think he'd fit perfectly with what they do.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Athanatos posted:

Knicks give FVV a max and do a sign and trade for Oladipo for also a boat load of cash then make the shocked face when they don't get Giannis next year.

Oladipo would be a bad trade but FVV just averaged 17 and 7 with 2 steals and he's not even in his prime yet, I don't think 22m per is outrageous money for a really good 2 way PG. Unless the cap shrinks, which it will. Knicks, baby!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Is there a practical way to get Beal to Miami? My understanding that he contract with the Wizards was a backdoor sign and trade from the start.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Well Washington holds all the cards now, they are gonna want a lot. The rumors last year when the Nuggets were trying to get him were they wanted Murray, MPJ and either Harris or Beasley plus picks for him.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I also think Denver could've pushed LA to 7 or even won if they had a healthy Will Barton

With actual home court advantage in Denver, guaranteed that series goes to 7. But I do think that it will take a lot to overcome some of the better teams in the league right now. I don't think Denver, Miami, Toronto, and Dallas can sit back. No one looked unbeatable and everyone had shortcomings on display. I don't think there can be an expectation that some of these younger players are going to make astronomical leaps in progress over a short off season in order to fill those shortcomings.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Exactly, there’s no tine for huge improvements. Offseason is 3-4 months now and packed with thanksgiving and Christmas dinners

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

drat all the hoopers actually gonna get to spend xmas with the family this year

.... drat y'all what am i gonna watch on christmas day. poo poo.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Is there a reason none of the lakers were wearing masks when arriving in LA? They just spent months, no doubt, being constantly told to wear one. No they don't? Management must be making GBS threads themselves

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the reality is a bunch of players in their off-time are going to go out and do the roni, and they're going to do the roni hard, baby. Devin Booker is probably a super spreader event waiting to happen. Adam Silver probably cares in a, we need to look good to the public, kind of way and will tell the players to wear masks or fake it a little better at least. beyond that, nobody's going to care unless it costs them money and that's really only going to happen if the start of next season is impacted. so I guess, the players should go out and get the roni asap so that they can be fully recovered by January! it's the best way

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

leftist heap posted:

There really isn't a ton of cap space out there in normal circumstances, and I think teams are going to be a bit more cautious about committing long term money as well given the situation.

Rick posted:

And Jae probably also wants a longer term deal. I don't think he gets a monster offer from anyone but if I were Crowder I'd really prioritize total money over 1 year average.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

If he hadn't gotten hurt I think Utah would probably think about this. I tried to make a hypothetical celtics trade when I got super bummed out during the first half of game seven and it's hard to make work because Hayward is the only guy they'd probably trade where the money works out. All I know is that if they trade him to the celtics they better get Grant back or I'm marching on whatever the Delta Center is called this week.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 13, 2020

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Here's my gut feeling ranking for who to expect to make moves

Most Likely to Blow It Up:
Orlando - Expensive payroll, cheap owner and Isaac is out for the year
San Antonio - Old team on the decline, no young guys with star potential, Pop has gotta be close to retiring
Washington - Beal and Wall don't really work well together. Rui and Bryant are the only guys with upside on the roster

Most Likely to Make A Big Move:
Philly - Playing 3 centers isn't going to work for a D'Antoni team - Edit - Or for a Doc Rivers team
Indy - Still juggling Turner and Sabonis, also have to decide what they want to do with Oladipo
Brooklyn - Lots of players that like the ball in their hands and have to figure out Allen and Jordan
Golden State - Most likely won't be as good as they expect to be, and Wiggins or Draymond probably have enough name recognition to get GSW some talent back
Utah - Gobert is gonna get very expensive and there have been rumblings for a while

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 13, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Minnesota is going to do stuff, but just because they don't really have a regulation number of players. I know they want to do A Big Thing, but it might just be a bunch of small moves.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

Minnesota is going to do stuff

Big if true.

I do think there may be more to the idea that the Lakers will be able to get a pretty good quality of veteran given the cap situation and also just how weird it is going to be. I think bad teams are actually going to be more apprehensive about spending money given the uncertainty of the season.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Philly - Playing 3 centers isn't going to work for a D'Antoni team

Simmons running the offense from the effective 5 surrounded by 4 shooters sounds like a D'antoni wet dream

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Most Likely to Make A Big Move:
Philly - Playing 3 centers isn't going to work for a D'Antoni team

didn't they already hire Rivers