Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I’d rather be dead forever than read TVIV so how is Bly Manor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
I liked it, but I know some people aren’t wild on it. It’s less ghosty than Hill House, which I know is one of people’s chief complaints, and it’s maybe slower to get into the tense stuff. It definitely hews closer to the James source material than Hill House did to Jackson, if that means anything to you.

To me, the ensemble cast is eminently likable, and Flanagan has an uncanny ability to cast adorable children who manage to be precocious without being annoying (ymmv). I also like the way the non-Turn of the Screw stories were incorporated, and I thought its take on The Beast in the Jungle, which isn’t even a ghost story, was really impactful. I dunno, I liked it.

edit: Anyone have thoughts on where they might go with season three, if there is one? These were my guesses

https://twitter.com/benito_cereno/status/1315692660095684611

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Reality Protester posted:

Slumber Party Massacre 2 is pretty much standalone. it makes reference to a killer from the first, who is not actually in the first.

in this post, I may have confused slumber party massacre 2 with sorority house massacre 2. I dont think it makes me wrong though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/TomZohar/status/985941327715098624

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

At the end of The Witch Thomasin is being controlled by the devil, much like how in real life Brittany Spears has been controlled by her abusive father well into adulthood. The life of freedom and female empowerment they appear to embody is a lie that masks how male forces continue to dominate and manipulate them while also parasitically exploiting them for personal gain. In this essay I will

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So we made a trick r treat fan film...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfZExPCSDR4

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

This could be an actual sequel trailer id see in a movie theater and id be excited to see it, that's insanely impressive. Is there a full movie or just the trailer? Either way awesome work. Everytime you post something you make its cooler and cooler and i love it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thank you! Its a short film! No idea how long. But it was really fuckin hard and fun to make. It was probably the most satisfying creative collaboration ive ever had. I couldn't have made it as good with out my team.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

can we watch the whole thing or is it not out yet

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hopefully done by Halloween day. If not then, a few days after that. But I'm gonna just hide inside my house and edit until it's done lmao.

This is all this year lead up too for me. I hope I can do my favorite halloween boy justice.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

gently caress IT I BOUGHT IT IM SO EXCITED FOR THE NEW UNCUT PARTS

Weird, most people watch slasher movies for the cut parts.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bad takes. I'm yet to see the new Suspiria but I enjoyed each of the other films immensely. Also 'universally loved' ? Fairly sure each of these movies sits about 60% on RT for audience score.

https://twitter.com/aarjanistan/status/1315908412522270722?s=20

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That is actually an excellent take. Except for the Suspiria remake which was pretty good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If those movies had come out 30 years ago a lot of haters would probably love them. Some people are just violently allergic to hype and swing hard the other way.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I should probably revisit It Follows, but I didn't like it the first time I watched it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

that demographic certainly exists but personally there's a lot of big budget hollywood movies I get hyped for. I'm honestly just burnt out on the style. My theory is that since the 2000s were so overfilled with cheap bloody slashers the 2010s swung back too hard the other way as a backlash. Not to say there haven't been some insanely great films in the style which I'm complaining about, I just wish we got more bloody "fun" horror movies because there's a lot of burnout for me on "atmospheric, minimalist" horror. But that's my 2 cents, I know a lot of people think the opposite.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean I don't disagree, I just take them for what they are. I know what a 2010s "prestige" horror thing is going to be going in and don't expect something fun, just like I wouldn't out of a prestige 70s horror flick. If I want fun I go elsewhere rather than poo poo on something that's good in its own right but that I'm a bit tired of and wish the industry would move on from. I hope we get a fun horror renaissance in the 2020s like we did in the 80s, but that probably all depends on what happens a few weeks from now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Kvlt! posted:

That is actually an excellent take. Except for the Suspiria remake which was pretty good.

I think the thing that got me about that take was 'big hype'. Like you're an adult, surely by now you realise that believing in hype is just setting you up for disappointment?? There's a reason I never hype film recommendations to friends and that's because I want them to enjoy it on their own terms. If I say "BEST FILM EVERRRRRRRRRRR" they're only going to be disappointed when it was exactly what I wanted but isn't what they want. I'll recommend they watch something but I'll never hype things... It's also why I take film recommendations from others with a pinch of salt.

On your later post I definitely want to see more fun horror. I know Freddy vs Jason gets panned a lot but related to above I went in expecting nothing from it and actually really enjoyed that it just decided to have fun with the concept.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I personally don't think the average modern cheap stupid slasher is as fun as the ones from the 80s and 70s. They tend to be much worse lit and have really disappointing gore effects for one thing. And wayyyy too many of them think they're Scream and try to be funny and meta in a grating way.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Really don't know how It Follows or Babadook are even art-horrors. Suspiria yes definitely, VVitch sure, those are art horror. I suppoooose Hereditary would also be more art horror.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

married but discreet posted:

Really don't know how It Follows or Babadook are even art-horrors.

yeah, It Follows especially, unless you consider anything with any kind of subtext "art-horror". Also It Follows loving rules and it has one of my all-time favorite jump scares.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Bad takes. I'm yet to see the new Suspiria but I enjoyed each of the other films immensely. Also 'universally loved' ? Fairly sure each of these movies sits about 60% on RT for audience score.

https://twitter.com/aarjanistan/status/1315908412522270722?s=20

How embarrassing to get ratioed with 19 comments. Deserved though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Um ACTUALLY the term is POST-HORROR

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'd say It Follows definitely isn't art horror but Babadook definitely is. I like both of them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

I personally don't think the average modern cheap stupid slasher is as fun as the ones from the 80s and 70s. They tend to be much worse lit and have really disappointing gore effects for one thing. And wayyyy too many of them think they're Scream and try to be funny and meta in a grating way.

:same:

I think that the 80's were just perfect for cheap horror. It was just this wonderful amalgam of advancing film technologies, changes in the ratings system, and the birth of both cable TV and the video rental store.

I do think the big difference between the 80's and everything else is that in the 80's it was mostly unexplored territory, there is a whole lot of literally throwing poo poo at the walls and seeing what sticks.

married but discreet posted:

Really don't know how It Follows or Babadook are even art-horrors. Suspiria yes definitely, VVitch sure, those are art horror. I suppoooose Hereditary would also be more art horror.

I wouldn't really call it "art horror," but horror seems to just reinvent itself about once a decade, and the current trend is to give horror the Oscar Bait treatment.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

I think that the 80's were just perfect for cheap horror. It was just this wonderful amalgam of advancing film technologies, changes in the ratings system, and the birth of both cable TV and the video rental store.

I do think the big difference between the 80's and everything else is that in the 80's it was mostly unexplored territory, there is a whole lot of literally throwing poo poo at the walls and seeing what sticks.

And cocaine.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I've talked at length with friends about why we're not seeing a similar or bigger low-budget renaissance today. We've been promised it for the past 20 years, with every teenager having access to Final Cut and After Effects with a high-def camera in their pocket and a few quick Amazon purchases away from an affordable mic and blue-screen and steadicam. But the renaissance just isn't happening. Sure, you can hunt-and-peck on YouTube for found footage films and find the occasional interesting thing here and there, or find a cheap-but-loving 50s b-movie homage on Amazon, but that's the sort of stuff that really only appeals to down-the-rabbithole folks who can get over the production value hump.

The conclusion that I've come to is that, well, making a feature-length movie is really loving hard. That budget isn't the true hurdle in creating something even if you've got the vision. That finding a dedicated team of people willing and able to throw their time, effort, energy, and health into a no-budget project is extremely rare even if the interest is there.

Content-wise, I think a big part of why we saw shlock take a forefront in the 80s is because these were kids raised on horror comics and drive-in movies and endless TV packages of cheap schlock. Today young prospective filmmakers have seen every Lynch and Argento film by the time they're 16 and have ambitions of being a Real Filmmaker. I think there's very little romantic notion left of making a put-yourself-through-hell TCM kind of movie.

e: and yes, cocaine definitely.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
should I watch Unfriended before watching Unfriended: Dark Web? I’ve heard the second is a lot better but I don’t know if they are connected plot wise

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
They are not connected and really are two different kinds of horror movie antagonists that aren't connected at all.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

The conclusion that I've come to is that, well, making a feature-length movie is really loving hard. That budget isn't the true hurdle in creating something even if you've got the vision. That finding a dedicated team of people willing and able to throw their time, effort, energy, and health into a no-budget project is extremely rare even if the interest is there.

I think at least half of this is making something at least 60% coherent, hell even the mid budget studio movies have a hard time with this.

There's still a glut of zombie poo poo out there because it is the most cookie cutter of horror, and anyone can make something coherent with a bunch of friends and their childhood treehouse. I swear periodically on slow news days they'll run a piece on a local "filmmaker" and they're always making the lowest of low budget zombie movies, with the worst CGI squibs you've ever seen.

gey muckle mowser posted:

should I watch Unfriended before watching Unfriended: Dark Web? I’ve heard the second is a lot better but I don’t know if they are connected plot wise

I have no idea, I've seen neither, but I think Unfriended 1 is coming to Netflix soon, so I'll be watching that one for part of the challenge.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

not connected, but id watch in release order either way to save the best for last.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

I have no idea, I've seen neither, but I think Unfriended 1 is coming to Netflix soon, so I'll be watching that one for part of the challenge.

that may be the deciding factor, thanks!

dorium posted:

not connected, but id watch in release order either way to save the best for last.

good point, I'm sure I would watch both eventually anyway

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

that may be the deciding factor, thanks!

good point, I'm sure I would watch both eventually anyway

Weirdly, both movies are varying levels of "good", which I would have never in a million years expected from the premise and the execution. But they're both fun.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

I think all of this is definitely true and a major factor.

I also think that, counterintuitively, the rise of digital filmmaking has not had a positive impact on low-budget horror. And maybe it's more about lighting techniques, like Lurdiak mentioned, but I just think shooting on film was something that lent a feeling of legitimacy to a film regardless of budget. I know it's pretentious and trite to say at this point, but film just has a texture to it that makes it easier to "buy" something that might otherwise feel like a student film project. Like, if Evil Dead was shot digitally instead of 16mm I don't think it works nearly as well.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Honestly with host I haven't seen a bad movie in that zoom or Skype meeting setting yet. I think it really adds to the isolation and helplessness of being "right there" but having no physical control.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Reality Protester posted:

in this post, I may have confused slumber party massacre 2 with sorority house massacre 2. I dont think it makes me wrong though.

I haven't seen SHM 2, but Slumber Party Massacre 2 features a minor character from the first one (except played by a different actor). SPM2 doesn't require watching the first one though I did watch the first one anyway.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Awesome, thanks both. I’ll try sneak in the originals to both of those but if I don’t at least I’m know I’m not gonna be lost.

Prom Night 2 is incredibly fun and much more fantastical than Prom Night. Prom Night is fine, but Prom Night 2 slaaaaaps

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

yeah, It Follows especially, unless you consider anything with any kind of subtext "art-horror". Also It Follows loving rules and it has one of my all-time favorite jump scares.

It's a real good one, I remember feeling my stomach drop the first time I saw it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I watched The Incredible Shrinking Man last night and was really surprised by the melancholy tone. The increasingly large props and special effects were great for 1957. Its pulpy sci-fi with horror elements but the entire plot is just him accepting that he’s just going to continue shrinking into the infinite. If you’re doing an atomic horror or 50’s era I would highly recommend it.

I always wished someone would do a "straight" version of the novel, people would 100% think it was a gritty reboot or something.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I mean the problem also is with low cost digital it still needs to look like a film otherwise you get a production quality like the Asylum vids which are straight to streaming films. At least back in the 80s people were using film and lighting that made the movies at least minimally look like a film. I dunno that's my nitpick with Digital is that it looks like it was made for television and not for film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I mean the problem also is with low cost digital it still needs to look like a film otherwise you get a production quality like the Asylum vids which are straight to streaming films. At least back in the 80s people were using film and lighting that made the movies at least minimally look like a film. I dunno that's my nitpick with Digital is that it looks like it was made for television and not for film.

I think if you have a good post-production person then you're able to get around this to a significant degree—at least take it from garbage to "that looks like TV." Though people who are able to upgrade bad digital to acceptable quality are also highly employable, so you're at a disadvantage there. I've always wanted to be given a decently-lit piece of video to upgrade. I want to really play around with color-grading software to get a sense of the learning curve but haven't had a good excuse.

But yeah, even when I shot on 8mm in school it was really eye-opening how much of a huge difference it made from, say, DV, with the exact same talent behind and in front of the camera.