Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ok yeah, that's a gacha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Surprised it wasn't brought up yet but hey look FMW coming to consoles yay.

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1314957048178716672?s=20

No clue what consoles yet though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It'd be rad if it were the switch.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Will 100% buy on switch if it goes there

I will use the LPs as a translation guide :v:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Touhou Spell Bubble got an English patch for all its Asian EShop versions if anyone's interested in $45 musical Puzzle Bobble.

I doubt there's enough interest in the Western Touhou market in 2020 to release it elsewhere though.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/tasofro/status/1316625229024694273?s=21

Trial version at reitaisai

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Seems 17.5 is no longer compatible with Windows 7. Guess whatever was causing all those crashes was a really big issue.
They also reworked the game mechanics. Now you naturally regenerate HP and mostly use water/fluids to charge bombs.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'm really surprised there hasn't been a dump of it yet. I wonder if the generally lessened travel convinced whoever did the super-fast dumps of the games just didn't make it this time.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/elburbo_/status/1320104519980765188

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Lotus Eaters 12

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Oh, Keiki's gonna make an appearance? I wonder if she has to disguise herself (like the other yokai) or just come as she is.

Also...

https://twitter.com/moiwool/status/1300446260055343114?s=19

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

starbucks hermit posted:

Oh, Keiki's gonna make an appearance? I wonder if she has to disguise herself (like the other yokai) or just come as she is.

Ah, sorry, each of these chapters ends with an image that's taken from ZUN's foodie column (that's published in the same magazine). It's not related to the story at all.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

Big Witch Hat
Oct 28, 2020

Marisa wants up

Cheating Detective Satori is pretty cool. A lot of girls we haven't seen in a while back with fancy outfits, gay cats, Yukari back on her poo poo, what more could you ask for?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://twitter.com/Pin_2D/status/1321437037971517441?s=19

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Spell Bubble for Switch

Now in English!

https://youtu.be/k_2U5X_qTSo

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

still waiting for Luna Nights (on Switch) though

wonder if that will come first or the new Suika game

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Lately, I found some original Touhou-games on Steam, and I've been starting to try them out.

The first I tried is called "Violed Detector", which is apparently about the main character dreaming? that she is fighting the cast of Touhou one-by-one. It's a string of shmup-boss fights, essentially. Fun so far, of course I'm forced to play on default difficulty since I can't read most of the text and get my rear end handed to me regularly.

Apparently I can charge up a photo bomb to just delete all projectiles in a rectangle around me, which is a neat little shmup-mechanic. Also those magic cards are really sensitive to being photographed, apparently. :v:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

starbucks hermit posted:

Spell Bubble for Switch

Now in English!

https://youtu.be/k_2U5X_qTSo

Dang, and I just brought it from the HK eshop.

Fun game with some great tracks, but feels kinda old school in some ways. Not just in some of the music selections but there some real old memes referenced as well. Hadn't heard a Help me Eirin joke in a decade but there it was like as a whole running gag even.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Libluini posted:

Lately, I found some original Touhou-games on Steam, and I've been starting to try them out.

The first I tried is called "Violed Detector", which is apparently about the main character dreaming? that she is fighting the cast of Touhou one-by-one. It's a string of shmup-boss fights, essentially. Fun so far, of course I'm forced to play on default difficulty since I can't read most of the text and get my rear end handed to me regularly.

Apparently I can charge up a photo bomb to just delete all projectiles in a rectangle around me, which is a neat little shmup-mechanic. Also those magic cards are really sensitive to being photographed, apparently. :v:

That game doesn't have difficulties, it just get harder and harder as you go on.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

That game doesn't have difficulties, it just get harder and harder as you go on.

Ah, thanks! That simplifies things. I guess I should train myself to become a better photographer. :v:

Big Witch Hat
Oct 28, 2020

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Fun game with some great tracks, but feels kinda old school in some ways. Not just in some of the music selections but there some real old memes referenced as well. Hadn't heard a Help me Eirin joke in a decade but there it was like as a whole running gag even.

Eirin is immortal and so are her jokes. Hell, they even played the song live during the anniversary celebration a few weeks back.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/touhoulw_global/status/1321980135676006400?s=21

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Really? All my favourite characters? Are you sure you can guarantee that?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

What the gently caress

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
The JP version was released six months ago. It's a pretty standard mobile RPG affair but the story does a really good job of feeling authentic and compelling.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

leather fedora posted:

The JP version was released six months ago. It's a pretty standard mobile RPG affair but the story does a really good job of feeling authentic and compelling.

Can confirm that the writing is shockingly sincere. Too bad the gameplay sucks.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

But are the girls being cute and doing cute things in it?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
what is the point of all these gacha games if they don't have kosuzu

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

what is the point of all these gacha games if they don't have kosuzu

It does have Kosuzu, pretty sure? This game in particular sort of made a big deal of including all the manga characters like Kasen and Kosuzu and the Watatsuki sisters. I haven't been following it in detail, but I kinda remember one of my friends talking about pulling both Kosuzu and Akyuu.

Edit:

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Yes, the event that introduces Kosuzu and Akyuu even begins by Yukari giving the two a test to earn their "danmaku license" as a joke.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Clarste posted:

It does have Kosuzu, pretty sure? This game in particular sort of made a big deal of including all the manga characters like Kasen and Kosuzu and the Watatsuki sisters. I haven't been following it in detail, but I kinda remember one of my friends talking about pulling both Kosuzu and Akyuu.

Edit:

OH MY GOD :SOB:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Still not particularly interested in this one vs the upcoming rhythm game one but I’ll check it out. It looks like standard gacha rpg type game which I don’t need more of in my life.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Yeah but are Renko and Merry in?

Anyway, writing is probably more important for getting me try out a gacha than the gameplay so I might give this a shot.

Big Witch Hat
Oct 28, 2020
How many gacha pulls do I need to get Marisa to marry Reimu

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Is anyone else having trouble pre-registering? Across four browsers and two devices, clicking the Register button on the global site just makes the spinning arrow appear next to it forever, and nothing happens.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
All my favorites? That's a lot of Crown Princes.

King Cohort posted:

Is anyone else having trouble pre-registering? Across four browsers and two devices, clicking the Register button on the global site just makes the spinning arrow appear next to it forever, and nothing happens.

Same. I'll try again later.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
drat, I've never been in one of those situations where I have a JP account for a game that later got an English version. While I can't read anything in it without my friend by my side I'm not sure if I should jump ship... it's a decently powerful account by now.

Squiddycat posted:

But are the girls being cute and doing cute things in it?

Definitely. There's been 5 events with a sixth Halloween one starting today (starring Clownpiece apparently) and they are:
1- Sakuya's on vacation so Remi hires Youmu and puts Meiling and Flan on maid duty. Violence ensues.
2- Kappa wargames starring team Reisen/Medicine/Byakuren.
3- Someone stole all the copies of Strange Creators of Outer Worlds (at least that's the cover they use ingame) and it's up to Marisa/Patchy/Alice to investigate by randomly attacking people. Also they're wearing yukatas for some reason. Also the aforementioned introduction of Akyuu and Kosuzu, as well as Yukari making a weird gap face that turned into a minor Pixiv meme.
4- "Best Sisters Contest" starring every single pair/trio of sisters in Gensokyo and out of it and approximately two dozen cheaters (Kaguya/Star Sapphire was such a strong one the Watatsukis passed out).
5- Nemuno wants to open a restaurant, Kasen gets fired up and drags Reimu/Tewi to help.

And I believe the main story is straight up "Your female self-insert OC is pulled out of plot relevant gacha currency into Gensokyo" and now Reimu is hopping between alternate Gensokyos like a high school AU, an edgy version, and so on.
The game also really loves putting the characters in cute alternate costumes.
EDIT: Also this.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

All my favorites? That's a lot of Crown Princes.

Same. I'll try again later.
Miko's not in the game yet unfortunately. Strangely, none of the taoists or TD characters short of Mamizou have made a single appearance so far, which is a bit odd.
There is this one picture of Miko's legs you can equip as gear I guess and I saw with an inventory of nothing but 300 of it (this game uses one of those gear formats where you equip pictures of stuff).

Clarste posted:

Can confirm that the writing is shockingly sincere. Too bad the gameplay sucks.
I've always thought of the gameplay as FGO-Super Lite Edition. But they've been slowly remedying that lately. Nowadays you really have to think on party composition if you want to do Lunatic mode stages.
It is bad enough on lower difficulties that there's two separate Auto modes for the game to play itself (Shoot normal danmaku Auto and Use Spellcards Full Auto).

But if anyone's interested, you can basically coast through Normal mode and see all the story and writing with just the starter Marisa you get. On Hard and Lunatic, for the first 3 months or so, you could just use your biggest firepower/Youmu on Full Auto and still not have any issue. Now though, it's getting pretty decently tough. The story mode chapter 2 boss Marisa Alter definitely needs some planning to beat, and the latest event ended with the bizarre tag team of Byakuren/Rumia/Joon which was hellishly rough even for strong teams.
But yeah that's still 3 months or so of easy content and boring auto-farming.

If nothing else the character tierlist is pretty funny, if only because what characters are in what tiers (red stars are limited time).

Tewi's position still makes me laugh.
If anyone's starting a new account, you really want Youmu, you're basically set for life with her. Medicine and Sakuya are great too though.

By far the game's biggest failure is useless tank characters (Kanako, Byakuren, Meiling) and defensive support/healers (Lily White, Sanae, Reimu). At the end of the day the gameplay's all about bigger firepower and firepower support.
Also random aside but I think they made Yorihime's Last Word a Guilty Gear reference? She yells out "Yamata No Orochi Install" before buffing all her stats and using a flaming Orochi to attack, which feels really on the nose.

FractalSandwich posted:

Really? All my favourite characters? Are you sure you can guarantee that?
The game's been bizarrely good about featuring a wide spread of characters, unlike Cannonball which seemed stuck in the 6 to 13 rut. Even if they're not all playable, I think there's been appearances for characters of every title and manga series except 17 so far.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sorry if my post on the game being in English in Asian stores influenced anyone to make accounts and buy it there, I really didn't expect an actual English store release.
At least the Switch is lenient with multiple accounts and regions.

HGH fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 1, 2020

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I am excited for a gacha game now, I can't loving believe this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I hope they find a way to give out the chan co figures for the global version. though they probably won't!

https://twitter.com/Touhou_LW/status/1293834681004298241