Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Better Than You posted:

I'm with you. Half of the time the actors look nothing like the wrestlers they are portraying (e.g. Randy Savage).

I had high expectations that they'd be more...stylish? Or at least better produced or less generic when the co-creator did this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J4xu0CuCOw

but they are sub-Unsolved Mysteries-level and add little to the presentation, especially in episodes like the Owen one where the actual footage and home movies are so much more compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Better Than You posted:

I'm with you. Half of the time the actors look nothing like the wrestlers they are portraying (e.g. Randy Savage).

The not-Godfather blowing smoke as the narrator notes he’s waiting for Bart is tremendous, though.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Inoki-ism is barely a dark thing in japan. There's a bunch other things like Yakuza ties to promotions, which may or may not include Rikidozan's stabbing, deaths in the training schools, Collision in Korea. Honestly would be interested in seeing them expand the Dark Side of the Ring to MMA as well.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i want a multipart episode on dama de silencia

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Perro Jr would probably be worth an episode

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

Inoki-ism is barely a dark thing in japan. There's a bunch other things like Yakuza ties to promotions, which may or may not include Rikidozan's stabbing, deaths in the training schools, Collision in Korea. Honestly would be interested in seeing them expand the Dark Side of the Ring to MMA as well.

Inoki vs Ali could be the cool down light hearted episode you do before a deep dive on Rikidozan and the Yakuza. :colbert:

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

That one Canadian wrestler who accidentally bombed a police station while trying to blow-up the strip club next to it.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I’d like it if DSOTR veered more into serious documentary territory than just become a vehicle for wacky wrestling anecdotes.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dimebags Brain posted:

That one Canadian wrestler who accidentally bombed a police station while trying to blow-up the strip club next to it.

Bruiser Bedlam!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

KungFu Grip posted:

if it's mma, i want a deep dive on pride. hopefully takada will talk

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Top 3 ideas for season 3 for me:

Pillman
Collision in Korea
Vince's childhood

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Eat My Fuc posted:

Vince's childhood

Yikes. I don’t think I want those details.

I grew up in the same town he did. It wasn’t terrible until recently.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'd like to see an entire episode calling out blatant racism in wrestling. Watts, the WCW lawsuits, and every single racist gimmick - Mexicools, Cryme Tyme, Kaientai, etc.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jiro posted:

Inoki vs Ali could be the cool down light hearted episode you do before a deep dive on Rikidozan and the Yakuza. :colbert:

Inoki/Ali would be interesting if you can get people close to Ali to talk about how it hosed up his legs and his team's thoughts on how the negotiations went down.

Inoki's corrupt business dealings that almost took New Japan down in the 80s, or his political corruption in the 90s would probably be a more interesting story but the Ali thing would have way more interest and is a fascinating story in its own right.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dango Bango posted:

I'd like to see an entire episode calling out blatant racism in wrestling. Watts, the WCW lawsuits, and every single racist gimmick - Mexicools, Cryme Tyme, Kaientai, etc.

Its only an hour show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Yeah the WCW lawsuit alone would barely fit into an hour.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its like you'd have to devote an entire season to it with each episode covering a different promotion/promotor/booker and even then you'd probably need to give WWE its own season.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

That also means Corrnette would get an episode.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Chyna would be a good one.
I think they could do a decent one on Jesse Ventura and trying to unionize.

Would a CM Punk lawsuit one be possible?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
They could do a Jake the Snake one that begins with Grizzly Smith and includes Robin and ends with his recent AEW appearances after DDP saving his life.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They could do a Jake the Snake one that begins with Grizzly Smith and includes Robin and ends with his recent AEW appearances after DDP saving his life.

The Netflix doc sorta makes it redundant

I think an episode on Dynamite Kid might be in order , though.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Netflix doc sorta makes it redundant

I think an episode on Dynamite Kid might be in order , though.

Ah, I didn't realize there was one.

I was also thinking about two episodes on the Rockers and how their careers continued afterwards.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Ah, I didn't realize there was one.

I was also thinking about two episodes on the Rockers and how their careers continued afterwards.

I recommend watching it, it's good. Room might get dusty, though.

poo poo, a Jannetty episode alone is 100% feasible.

Some other ideas for an episode:

Perry Saturn (his odyssey from the Mike Bell incident to the robbery to being located after going missing)
The Iron Sheik (losing his daughter basically drove him insane)
Raven (dude almost died because of substance abuse twice)
Jimmy Savile (this might be redundant to UK residents but it'd be interesting to people not in the know)
Messiah (dude's boss/promoter had him assaulted so viciously it ended up on AMW)

Hell, you could probably do an episode similar to the Herb Abrams one on Rob Black.

Or Rob Feinstein.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Kanyon would be a great episode.

JR would be a pretty good episode, too, for all of the terrible poo poo he dealt with in WWE.

There definitely need to be some "racism in wrestling" episodes but I don't know how you break those down and how you fit all of the stuff into one episode for each topic.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

Kanyon would be a great episode.

JR would be a pretty good episode, too, for all of the terrible poo poo he dealt with in WWE.

There definitely need to be some "racism in wrestling" episodes but I don't know how you break those down and how you fit all of the stuff into one episode for each topic.

You could probably do a two parter on the WCW discrimination lawsuit and use the Watts stuff as background info. Then if it gets the kind of viewership you want, do other isolated incidents, maybe l?

Kanyon is a great idea. Also wanna nominate Raven as a future narrator.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

flashy_mcflash posted:

I had high expectations that they'd be more...stylish? Or at least better produced or less generic when the co-creator did this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J4xu0CuCOw

WAIT WHAT THE gently caress JASON EISENER IS DOING THIS SHOW!?

I am a huge stan for that dude and I had no loving clue

e: :stare: yep, okay, finding out that that's him makes me even more disappointed at the reenactments, because holy poo poo that dude loving owns

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 30, 2020

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

What a week it's been.
So much to talk about.
And so many things we can't talk about.

Better Than You posted:

Channing Decker portraying Eddie Guerrero was... novel. I have no clue how they do the casting.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-Aq9OuJI1Q/

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
dark side of the ring season 3: june 18, 2020

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

LobsterMobster posted:

dark side of the ring season 3: june 18, 2020

Tweet this so I can RT it

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Mob posted:

Tweet this so I can RT it

ok

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

There is no dark side of the ring really, as a matter of fact it's all dark.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Yesterday I watched the Owen Hart episode. I am not a particularly outwardly emotional person, but I had a lump in my throat for the entire time I was watching. He & his family just seemed so wholesome, and they would have been so much happier if the stupidity & greed of a corrupt organization hadn't killed him.

I pretty much spent my preteen & teen years obsessed with pro wrestling, particularly WCW & ECW, which probably influenced my music tastes too. To be perfectly honest, Owen Hart was never one of my absolute favorite wrestlers -- probably because of what WWF did with his image -- but I was still very sad when he died, especially since I wasn't really prepared for THAT sort of wrestling-related death. Not to say that I was like "meh, whatever" about other deaths that happened around that time, but of course Owen's situation was totally unique.

Two thoughts about Owen's episode:
1) Between Droz and Owen, D-Lo has seen some poo poo, and I hope that he's as okay as he can be.
2) Making wrestlers continue to wrestle on what is essentially a crime scene is absolutely ghoulish.

That said, I absolutely LOVED Kanyon and would kill to see a Dark Side of the Ring episode about him, even though I know it would tear me up.

edit:

davidbix posted:

Yes. First, from page 18 of the KCPD case file (and keep in mind that this is a third party relaying it):

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6820628-Owen-Hart-KCPD-File.html#document/p18

This case file is extremely interesting. Also, I really didn't expect there to be so many typos in an official report of any kind -- missing apostrophes, name misspellings, etc.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 23, 2020

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

As a casual fan of wrestling a few thoughts:

The steroid trial would be interesting.
The Muhammad Hassan character and push.
The whole pedo ring that was being run that I just say in the NY64 tourney.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Some updates on season 3 and what topics they might be covering

https://comicbook.com/wwe/news/wwe-dark-side-of-the-ring-season-3-topics-grizzly-smith-jake-roberts-brian-pillman-collision-in-korea/

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I am extremely hyped for the episode about the collision in Korea. If anyone hasn't read about Muhammed Ali, Ric Flair, WCW, Antonio Inoki, and NJPW traveling to North Korea yet, you absolutely need to. It is fascinating.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/04/27/muhammad-ali-ric-flair-oral-history-pro-wrestling-north-korea

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
The Grizzly one is going to be a brutal watch - gently caress that monster

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Beyond the Mat is currently on Netflix in the UK and even now the bits with Jake and his dad are sad and deeply disturbing.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Hirez posted:

The Grizzly one is going to be a brutal watch - gently caress that monster

That one is going to be as difficult to sit through as the Benoit or Owen episodes. Grizzly was an absolute monster to his children

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Stealth Tiger posted:

I am extremely hyped for the episode about the collision in Korea. If anyone hasn't read about Muhammed Ali, Ric Flair, WCW, Antonio Inoki, and NJPW traveling to North Korea yet, you absolutely need to. It is fascinating.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/04/27/muhammad-ali-ric-flair-oral-history-pro-wrestling-north-korea

This was a tremendous read. Thanks for sharing.

I genuinely wonder what everyone thought they were really going to get out of this. Did WCW's guys even get paid for this? They must've gotten something small from the "pay per view".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

This was a tremendous read. Thanks for sharing.

I genuinely wonder what everyone thought they were really going to get out of this. Did WCW's guys even get paid for this? They must've gotten something small from the "pay per view".

It was a New Japan show mainly, very few WCW contracted wrestlers were on it. Flair may have actually been the only one. (There are a lot of names we associate with WCW but most were working New Japan at the time.) WCW and New Japan had a deal where WCW would produce and market New Japan shows for US PPV and this was one of those shows. Flair was on it as part of his WCW contract.