Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I was woken up this morning, on the first day of my vacation, with a text message from my brother-in-law asking me why his new work monitor wouldn't work with his new work laptop.
I told him he should really contact his work helpdesk as I am not there with him, and following any of my advice less basic than "Please stop trying to shove the display port cable into an HDMI port." would probably just piss off his helpdesk guys.

So how are your weeks going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Kurieg posted:

I was woken up this morning, on the first day of my vacation, with a text message from my brother-in-law asking me why his new work monitor wouldn't work with his new work laptop.
I told him he should really contact his work helpdesk as I am not there with him, and following any of my advice less basic than "Please stop trying to shove the display port cable into an HDMI port." would probably just piss off his helpdesk guys.

I want to buy a cheap wireless inkjet printer/scanner for home use. I'm an ideal case user as it is a few pages of light text with a dash of colour each day.
Only 'difficult' stipulation is that I can use compatible inks to save the costs.

It's a real chore to trawl through what passes as a 'review' these days - everything is a SEO-designed amazon referral link in disguise.

Plus, when I do find one I like, I have to go all the way to the final checkout stage on the seller's website, only to be told that it's not available in a local branch.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Moo the cow posted:

I want to buy a cheap wireless inkjet printer/scanner for home use. I'm an ideal case user as it is a few pages of light text with a dash of colour each day.
Only 'difficult' stipulation is that I can use compatible inks to save the costs.

It's a real chore to trawl through what passes as a 'review' these days - everything is a SEO-designed amazon referral link in disguise.

Plus, when I do find one I like, I have to go all the way to the final checkout stage on the seller's website, only to be told that it's not available in a local branch.

If you're only printing colour occasionally, wouldn't a laser be a better option since toner doesn't dry out?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Canuck-Errant posted:

If you're only printing colour occasionally, wouldn't a laser be a better option since toner doesn't dry out?

My thought was that I am printing colour at least once a day, an inkjet wouldn't dry out (unlike when I ran an epson that required a new cartridge every month, because I was only printing once a month)

Also, colour lasers at big and I want this to fit on a desk.

But I do get your point.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Moo the cow posted:

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and soft!
Reviewed in the United States on September 17, 2020
Verified Purchase
I bought this toy for two grandchildren when they were 2. They are still playing with it three years later. This purchase was a gift for a two year old girl. She loves it. Colors have not faded at all. Recommend this product!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I will always recommend a small business class color laser printer over an inkjet for anything except stuff that inkjets are needed for, like printing on shirts or whateverthefuck.

It is always less hassle and lower cost of ownership across the life of the laser printer, which will be "effectively forever" if you don't do something stupid with it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

shortspecialbus posted:

I will always recommend a small business class color laser printer over an inkjet for anything except stuff that inkjets are needed for, like printing on shirts or whateverthefuck.

It is always less hassle and lower cost of ownership across the life of the laser printer, which will be "effectively forever" if you don't do something stupid with it.

You speak truth. I keep waiting for my extremely elderly laserjet, a Brother HL-something-or-other, to finally die so I'll have an excuse to get a new one that's actually modern enough to have an Ethernet jack built in. I'm getting sick of running CUPS on the only computer that happens to be within USB-cable range of it. But nope, it just keeps soldiering on, year after year after year.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

You speak truth. I keep waiting for my extremely elderly laserjet, a Brother HL-something-or-other, to finally die so I'll have an excuse to get a new one that's actually modern enough to have an Ethernet jack built in. I'm getting sick of running CUPS on the only computer that happens to be within USB-cable range of it. But nope, it just keeps soldiering on, year after year after year.

I bet you could find an HP LaserJet EX for almost nothing on eBay.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Motronic posted:

I bet you could find an HP LaserJet EX for almost nothing on eBay.

Even if not, you can get a really solid and reliable Brother for something like $280 at amazon and you could go notably cheaper than that if you wanted and searched for more than the top result. My HL-4150CDN is only having trouble because we stupidly forgot to remove the toner from it when moving it a couple hundred miles in the moving van and the toner is a big mess now.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

shortspecialbus posted:

While I completely agree with you, the cheapest colour laser printer I can find is x3 the price of an inkjet (and apparently has a running cost x4 per page higher than an inkjet) and it weighes literally 20lbs more.

( HP MFP 178nw All-in-One Wireless Laser Colour Printer )

I don't mind something the size of a minicomputer if it's tucked away in an office - but not something to sit on a table in the front room.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

one of my wife's coworkers is in big trouble because he lost fifteen hundred united states dollars to the gift card scam. this man is too stupid to live. they did it over the phone, which means the whole time they were scamming him he was sitting right in front of the big sticker on the shared office phone that says "watch out for the gift card scam!!"

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I got an open box LaserJet Pro 200 Color on amazon for $150 like 4 years ago. WiFi and has no problem with generic toner outside of a warning in the app.

Probably have 20k+ pages through it.

Edit: wow, 6 years ago. And even used good condition are $250.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 12, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Weedle posted:

one of my wife's coworkers is in big trouble because he lost fifteen hundred united states dollars to the gift card scam. this man is too stupid to live. they did it over the phone, which means the whole time they were scamming him he was sitting right in front of the big sticker on the shared office phone that says "watch out for the gift card scam!!"

I don't see how people can be so stupid to fall for this.. Especially when many obvious flags are in front of their face.

A co-worker is on the board of a local non-profit organization who had a employee that fell for one of these. Except it was a "spoofed" email..and maybe spoofed isn't the right word here. The email came from something like "totallynottheboss123@hotmail.com" instead of "boss@organization.org". The email asked said employee to go buy a bunch of iTunes and Google Play giftcards in terrible broken english, was missing their standardized signature, had an "external email" warning appended to the subject, and is nothing they would ever do under normal operations. None of this threw any flags in this person's brain. Ever so eager to please the "boss", they took the org's credit card and went off to the local Kroger and bought like $3k worth of cards. They where actually able to get the money back though, only because the accountant of the org had alerts on the credit card and was able to question them before they where able to send the info to the scammer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

Edit: wow, 6 years ago. And even used good condition are $250.

My LaserJet M477fdw that I bought in January 2019 for $429 is now listed for $999 on Amazon. Anything that looks like remote work/work from home stuff is fukt.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Motronic posted:

My LaserJet M477fdw that I bought in January 2019 for $429 is now listed for $999 on Amazon. Anything that looks like remote work/work from home stuff is fukt.

The real galaxy brain would have been to buy a whole lotta work from home poo poo as soon as the first reports started coming in in January and scalp it in April. Anyone who loaded up on cheap webcams would have made a bundle.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

stevewm posted:

I don't see how people can be so stupid to fall for this.. Especially when many obvious flags are in front of their face.
It's one of life's big mysteries.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Kurieg posted:

My coworker is already on my nerves because he keeps contacting me asking what to do when he runs into issues when the answer is always "troubleshoot it". Among the things he's contacted me about today is not being able to remote desktop to a laptop he just put online, not being able to get a second monitor to work, and what to do about said laptop not showing up in SCCM. He's a nice guy and a good worker, but he's been with us for years and should have a pretty good feel for the way things work at our place by now. As soon as he runs into an issue he just stops and contacts me because he thinks I know some magic fix, rather than try to figure it out himself or research it.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

The problem with those printers is that they are so big, you could almost put a cloth over them and use them as a table.

Unrelated, we had a phishing attack a couple of weeks ago and IT added an extra spam-filtering service...without telling anyone.

So I've just found a bunch of important emails that are a week old and hiding in the 'junk' folder - despite my previously adding them to outlook 's Safe Senders.

Thanks guys.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

My coworker is already on my nerves because he keeps contacting me asking what to do when he runs into issues when the answer is always "troubleshoot it".
Why are you even responding to him? You know that you don't actually have to answer every phone call/email/chat that comes in, right? It feels weird and even wrong for the first 10-15 times if you're the kind of person (like me) who likes to read and respond to every last email and text, but eventually it'll feel normal if you just mark it as read and move on as if he didn't send anything. He'll get the idea or at the very least go bug someone else.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 13, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Moo the cow posted:

While I completely agree with you, the cheapest colour laser printer I can find is x3 the price of an inkjet (and apparently has a running cost x4 per page higher than an inkjet) and it weighes literally 20lbs more.

( HP MFP 178nw All-in-One Wireless Laser Colour Printer )

I don't mind something the size of a minicomputer if it's tucked away in an office - but not something to sit on a table in the front room.

That doesn't account for inkjet cartridges constantly drying out if you're not constantly printing poo poo with them, and it doesn't account for the cheap printer that was only-$40-because-they-make-their-money-on-overpriced-ink is probably going to need to be replaced 3-4x in the lifetime of the laser printer.

The size argument is reasonable for a lot of people I'll grant, but if you're buying a printer based on a tiny size, you're probably going to have to deal with a lot of problems that exist because of compromises used for said printer to be very wee.

Mostly I just loving hate printers and I'm glad I never have to touch them again at work and I'm willing to pay money to never have to think about a printer again at home because it always just does what its told and needs new toner once every 5 years.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

shortspecialbus posted:

That doesn't account for inkjet cartridges constantly drying out if you're not constantly printing poo poo with them
Oh, you are 100% right and I completely agree with you.
But as I previously mentioned, the use case for this is a few pages per day, 6 days a week, every week - so I may be one of the few people using an inkjet in a manner that actually suits the tech.

My main moans are that because of all the sudden WFH, stocks of the drat things have suddenly dried up (pun intended), yet sellers are still listing them on their website and you only find out they are out of stock at the checkout stage.

shortspecialbus posted:

and it doesn't account for the cheap printer that was only-$40-because-they-make-their-money-on-overpriced-ink is probably going to need to be replaced 3-4x in the lifetime of the laser printer.
This is the Canon Pixma TS5051. You can use compatible inks at $10 for an entire set.

Whereas this is the Canon Pixma TS5151. It only uses Canon ink at $35 for an entire set.

shortspecialbus posted:

Mostly I just loving hate printers and I'm glad I never have to touch them again at work and I'm willing to pay money to never have to think about a printer again at home because it always just does what its told and needs new toner once every 5 years.
Can't argue with that.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What makes you think the problem had anything to do with a computer? (also they don't have a laptop.)

they broke their mouse usb cable

I hope you promptly replaced that mouse with a new brick

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Moo the cow posted:

Canon ink at $35 for an entire set.

To be fair, that's dirt cheap, comparatively.

My FIL's last HP had a $40 black cartridge, let alone the other 3 colors.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

AlexDeGruven posted:

To be fair, that's dirt cheap, comparatively.

My FIL's last HP had a $40 black cartridge, let alone the other 3 colors.

I love my Brother HL-3170CDW. My parents asked me about getting a new printer/scanner and they got the Brother wireless B&W Laser with the scanner on my recommendation. I have no idea if they've actually printed anything with it, but they have it now.

I just wish I didn't need to essentially trick N+1 and N+ith Doctors' chromebooks into working with our printer.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
If you're looking for a fairly small color laserjet printer that can fit on a desk, Samsung Xpress is a decent brand for that from my experience.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Didn't Samsung get out the printer market and sold everything to HP?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Yes

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I just buy a $59 brother at Staples every time I want to print.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bob Morales posted:

Mistakes were made, war were declared.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 21, 2020

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

E: Maybe not.

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 13, 2020

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good times with O365 migrations.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Bob Morales posted:

I got one of those and it took me 7 years to use the trial cartridge. When it finally ran out I just bought a brother brand one because why bother trying to save $20 when it'll probably last 30 years at the rate I print stuff.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Dude I don't know how to tell you this but slavery became illegal like 150 years ago. Jesus Christ.

took me a second

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, let's not. I know it's hard to believe, but there are black people in tech and I'd venture to guess that they don't enjoy a constant reminder that their ancestors were sold into and brutalized under slavery.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

3 loving hours with a guy whose laptop won't get web pages without being connected to the VPN and surely this is my fault as the ISP

I eventually got on the phone with an IT guy from his employer who has agreed with my conclusion of "i don't know what the gently caress, it can clearly get to the internet or it wouldn't connect to the VPN successfully"

:iiam:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, let's not. I know it's hard to believe, but there are black people in tech and I'd venture to guess that they don't enjoy a constant reminder that their ancestors were sold into and brutalized under slavery.

A day was letting them off easy which is why the forums are maybe better off giving you a star then me. That would easily been a trip to the Jeffery retirement fund for me.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Shugojin posted:

3 loving hours with a guy whose laptop won't get web pages without being connected to the VPN and surely this is my fault as the ISP

I eventually got on the phone with an IT guy from his employer who has agreed with my conclusion of "i don't know what the gently caress, it can clearly get to the internet or it wouldn't connect to the VPN successfully"

:iiam:

Left field guess: He thought he was being savvy and pulled the DNS settings he found on the VPN adapter configuration and added them to his router's configuration.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

AlexDeGruven posted:

Left field guess: He thought he was being savvy and pulled the DNS settings he found on the VPN adapter configuration and added them to his router's configuration.

Nah every other device in the house works fine, his laptop's hosed

it's managed by his employer though so it's their problem not mine!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Nah every other device in the house works fine, his laptop's hosed

it's managed by his employer though so it's their problem not mine!

Gotcha.

Some kind of fuckery on their end, probably.

My wife's laptop's Win10 image is an utter disaster mess and every time it causes a problem, their IT blames our network here at home. At least his people understand basic poo poo, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At a guess everything runs through a proxy that is only accessible on a VPN, and that persons IT department have told them several times.