Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Headset is still updating but oh my god what the gently caress were they thinking with this strap lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They're thinking "people will just buy the deluxe strap if they don't like it".

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Amazon UK, my Quest 2 is 2 stops away!
Although they didn't ship the Battery strap + case that I ordered on the same day. Last night it was still flagged as being delivered today, but got an email from them this morning saying they didn't have it and don't have an estimate when they will have stock.The amazon UK website is now showing out of stock and not orderable.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Headset is still updating but oh my god what the gently caress were they thinking with this strap lmao.

Probably, "how can we cut corners on a VR headset to meet a very aggressive price point?"

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Probably, "how can we cut corners on a VR headset to meet a very aggressive price point?"

Yeah. Although the added price of the elite strap is still less than the OG Quest.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah. Although the added price of the elite strap is still less than the OG Quest.

Getting rid of the adjustable IPD probably cut a significant amount of parts and assembly time per unit, plus drastically reduced the number of units failing final QA

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Screen is a huuuuge leap over the CV1. Didn't even bother trying the cloth strap, went straight to the upgrade and it's nice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

blunt posted:

Welp, somebody on Reddit has already done the FrankenQuest 2:

Throw some velcro in between there to hold the two together and it's essentially no different than FrankenQuest1. Not sure why I thought it would be much more complicated :confused:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I kind of understand having a lovely strap by default if the goal is to make them interchangeable. It makes the headset cheaper and then you get to just buy the strap you want, which feels silly now when there's only one viable "default" strap but will make more sense if and when third parties start making their own.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I tend to agree that this is probably the way to go. I was somewhat surprised there isn't a different "comfort" SKU that includes the strap pre-attached but then realized it just complicates the logistics and supply chain. At any rate, now that they made it officially interchangeable without needing to pry a screwdriver or flat bar into the strap arm I hope we start to see some good non-hack alternatives from 3rd parties.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Except, I doubt the Quest 1strap was that expensive, right??
it's good they are interchangeable, but having a better default strap would have been surely a few dollars?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

Except, I doubt the Quest 1strap was that expensive, right??

The materials were probably only a little bit more expensive but I'd imagine the whole mechanism of rubber+velcro -> metal springs+buckle -> rubber headband was probably much worse to manufacture & assemble.

Taking it apart to fit another strap without breaking everything was kinda a nightmare.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Quest 2 havers: how well does it work with glasses?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This may be paranoia from my side, but I feel the action of swiveling up or down the hmd to find the sweet point feels a it worse. I think it's just the facial interface shape adapts to my face in a different way.
On the other hand, I think i have less 'nose gap' now. Veryyy narrow now.

edit: I hope amazon gets stock before Oculus themselves:

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 13, 2020

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Just got mine and tried it out (also got the Link cable but need to get a USB to USB-C passthrough to get it to work with my PC).

Only thing I didn't like was the strap - seems as though nothing I could do would make it fit comfortably. Also the included USB power cable (not the link cable) is laughably short, don't expect to use it to charge while wearing.

Don't have much to base it off of but it seemed like watching Youtube videos was OK. Beat Saber was predictably cool, but mostly I got it for Star Wars Squadrons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone have a trip report on how substantial the Quest 2 resolution bump feels for PCVR, side by side with a Rift S?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I just wanted someone to know that I played so much Pistol Whip last night, and at such a fervor that I actually had sweat pouring off me. The new silicone face gasket is working perfectly and is the only accessory I've had to get for my Index.

I'm quarantined because my wife got the Rona so this is exactly what I needed to get some exercise. Who knew shooting people to techno could be so much fun?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

For those who did the Costco order and it's shipped, did you get an email specifically saying it was shipped, or did they just update the status on the actual order page?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Controllers feel heavier and nice but they’re throwing off my hits in beat saber. Tracking is solid. Screen is real loving nice. Will be cool to see if/when apps update for the beefier tech. I can’t tell if I’ll get used to it or if I’m going to absolutely hate the fixed IPD settings. I’m at 60 so I fall in between 1 and 2 and while 1 feels better, it’s still not “there”? It’s not as noticeable while playing but on the home menu I can tell something is off.

Will give Squadrons a go tonight but I can’t imagine that’ll go any better than current Quest Link shenanigans and I imagine sideload patching Virtual Desktop is not available yet.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SgtScruffy posted:

For those who did the Costco order and it's shipped, did you get an email specifically saying it was shipped, or did they just update the status on the actual order page?

Just an update on the order page.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Just an update on the order page.

drat, mine still just says "order received".

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

This feels significantly narrower than the Quest. I know the fit pack exists, but it'sa shame they went back to more rigid facial interfaces after the Go and Quest had a lot more padding out on the sides.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Getting the Quest 2 whenever Costco feels like it - are there any games on the Steam sale that ends today that I should pick up? I'm not into fast action or shooty games, prefer slower puzzle or exploration type stuff.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The default strap feels OK to me.

I loved the tutorial game. Picking up stuff and throwing paper airplanes is super cool.

Then I tried Youtube VR and I am hoping it was just the fact that I was streaming that made the quality poor. I did a tour of Paris but the image quality was not great.

Then I tried Rec Room and chose the move around normally option. It made me feel kinda sick so I am taking a break and getting back to work now.

I wear glasses and the comfort is fine but the light from the screen reflects off the two silver spots on the corners of the glasses, which is annoying.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I could have sworn I saw a Fit and Focus app somewhere so I could set up the quest proper but now I don't see it anywhere. Is this buried somewhere?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nocheez posted:

I just wanted someone to know that I played so much Pistol Whip last night, and at such a fervor that I actually had sweat pouring off me. The new silicone face gasket is working perfectly and is the only accessory I've had to get for my Index.

I'm quarantined because my wife got the Rona so this is exactly what I needed to get some exercise. Who knew shooting people to techno could be so much fun?

Yeah, face gaskets are a lot better from a sanitary standpoint, I got one for my Quest, it's the only accessory I've bought for it since launch, I love it

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SgtScruffy posted:

I got an email, though the email said Thursday and then today the page said tomorrow.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

blue squares posted:

The default strap feels OK to me.

I loved the tutorial game. Picking up stuff and throwing paper airplanes is super cool.

Then I tried Youtube VR and I am hoping it was just the fact that I was streaming that made the quality poor. I did a tour of Paris but the image quality was not great.

Then I tried Rec Room and chose the move around normally option. It made me feel kinda sick so I am taking a break and getting back to work now.

I wear glasses and the comfort is fine but the light from the screen reflects off the two silver spots on the corners of the glasses, which is annoying.

Concerning youtube VR video quality, the majority of content I've seen on there has been older 180/360 degree videos, non 3D, encoded at 1080p or less, which is pretty bad. In order to get to acceptable quality 180 video in VR, the video needs to be at a bare minimum of 2K, with things starting to look pretty good around 4K. This needs to be even higher for 360 video, and especially for 3D. Videos at 5-6K 180 3D look good. If Facebook really wanted to make a good impression with VR video, they should have been churning out tons of 4K+ VR content over the past couple of years so people don't start wading through the sea of garbage on youtube and get soured on it, but even the small amount of stuff on OculusTV/Venues isn't that great. It's a big blind spot.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
In a whim I checked Best Buy and one store here in salt lake had some so I ordered one for curbside. I briefly tried link by hooking up my headset with an anker brand switch pro controller charge cable (3 foot type c to type a usb 3) and firing up assetto corsa and worked but the picture looked a bit soft compared to the rift S, but the rift s still has very visible screen door and I couldn’t see any with the quest 2. I’m gonna do some more playing with it with an extension (I have a usb 3 extension somewhere I can try it with)

I’m really impressed.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Origami Dali posted:

Concerning youtube VR video quality, the majority of content I've seen on there has been older 180/360 degree videos, non 3D, encoded at 1080p or less, which is pretty bad. In order to get to acceptable quality 180 video in VR, the video needs to be at a bare minimum of 2K, with things starting to look pretty good around 4K. This needs to be even higher for 360 video, and especially for 3D. Videos at 5-6K 180 3D look good. If Facebook really wanted to make a good impression with VR video, they should have been churning out tons of 4K+ VR content over the past couple of years so people don't start wading through the sea of garbage on youtube and get soured on it, but even the small amount of stuff on OculusTV/Venues isn't that great. It's a big blind spot.

Is this a special app or can I just load up Youtube and it'll figure itself out?

Also, any suggested links for super high-def stuff?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Fired up HL Alyx using wireless virtual desktop. I've never played it before so no point of reference, but it looked good and seemed to run well. That's some money saved on a link cable.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

GutBomb posted:

In a whim I checked Best Buy and one store here in salt lake had some so I ordered one for curbside. I briefly tried link by hooking up my headset with an anker brand switch pro controller charge cable (3 foot type c to type a usb 3) and firing up assetto corsa and worked but the picture looked a bit soft compared to the rift S, but the rift s still has very visible screen door and I couldn’t see any with the quest 2. I’m gonna do some more playing with it with an extension (I have a usb 3 extension somewhere I can try it with)

I’m really impressed.

There's an option to tell the Link software to bump the quality a bit, it might make things a little more clear if that's not the default option being used

https://uploadvr.com/set-oculus-link-resolution/

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lemming posted:

There's an option to tell the Link software to bump the quality a bit, it might make things a little more clear if that's not the default option being used

https://uploadvr.com/set-oculus-link-resolution/

I changed it to prioritize quality and they got rid of the softness. Thanks! Quest 2 kicks rear end.

I found my 10 foot usb 3 extension and set up at my driving rig. I’m gonna need a longer extension for standing games. Also planning on trying virtual desktop to try wireless stuff.

Any rift S owners that are on the fence, here’s one opinion. I’m currently boxing up my Rift S to sell on eBay.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

alphabettitouretti posted:

Fired up HL Alyx using wireless virtual desktop. I've never played it before so no point of reference, but it looked good and seemed to run well. That's some money saved on a link cable.

Virtual Desktop works well and Alyx is probably a good candidate for that but you can put together a link cable of your own that is just as good as the official one for about $25. The "comfort" of the cable isn't quite as good but technically it should be just as good.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

Virtual Desktop works well and Alyx is probably a good candidate for that but you can put together a link cable of your own that is just as good as the official one for about $25. The "comfort" of the cable isn't quite as good but technically it should be just as good.

This is what I did. I also added a $5 angle joint thing so that the cable wouldn't be coming straight out the side but rather running backward along the strap

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I just did a full session with the Quest 2. I watched Bad Boys 3! The reason? It's a 2 hour movie so it was easy to control time, I had pending to watch it, and I wanted to know if it was able to stream and decode a 4k high bitrate (50mb/s) file from my computer. I used skybox app and dlna, so it wasn't transcoded in my computer, it was handled by the Quest.
I had 7% left battery when reaching the 02:00 hour mark, that's more or less as expected. Maybe 3-4 minutes less than the Quest 1? Mind you, that was with constant use of wifi, like with Virtual Desktop, a local file would have used less battery.

Apart from a battery test, it was too a comfort test. I'm not a fan of the new strap, like most people, it doesn't hold the back of you head like the previous one, depending on the head it may bother you in the ears, and it's less elegant when removing the headset and putting it again. Elite strap can't come soon enough. But that said, I think the comfort was a bit better than the Quest 1, on longer sessions like this. Although surely it's just in the weight difference, and not in the strap.

The screen itself, great (beyond the black levels). There were two moments where if I focused, I could see a very fine squareish pattern of the lcd, but normally it was invisible.

By the way, two misc points: the 64gb version has 51.15gb free, and in experimental features you can enable the 90hz... just for the OS and tv.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The hardware of the Quest 2 feels like an evolution of the Oculus Go, just like the Quest felt like an evolution of the original Rift. The color, the plastic-y construction, the feel of the controller grips, the elastic straps, the high quality (for the time) single LCD display, the lack of a full IPD slider, it all calls back to the Go pretty heavily. As someone who actually liked the Go quite a bit I dig this.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Really liking this so far. The only bad thing is the head strap, to get it non-blurry I had to cinch it tight and it left a red mark on my forehead. I'll probably end up shelling out either for the elite strap or a third party equivalent when one gets released.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So far I'm not too impressed, but I've only tried some videos and Beat Saber---which, BTW, is a mystery to me in terms of why it so popular.

The real point of VR to me will be PCVR, so I'll try that tonight after work when I have time to hook everything up. If that doesn't feel better than what I have got so far, I'll probably just return the headset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Watching the Apple livestream today and thinking about 5G and millimeterwave, I wonder how far off we are from streamed VR having a suitable bandwidth and latency to obviate local compute on the headset. [Edit] I mean streaming that isn’t local wifi, obviously.

blue squares posted:

which, BTW, is a mystery to me in terms of why it so popular.

you monster

ephori fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 13, 2020