Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think a key thing probably is that as comics faded into a dying hobby for rusted-on diehards like model trains, someone realised you can make cartoons about superheroes and give them an actual budget and kids will watch them, and you can even make movies about superheroes too, and they made millions of dollars and sold toys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I re-read Transmetropolitan recently for some reason and realized it seems very idealistic compared to current times, which is probably bad

Well, that's what I have to say about comic books

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

If nothing else I have to appreciate the acknowledgement that nearly every adult man in the United States in the fifties was if not a veteran at least directly affected by the war somehow and it's really obnoxious how most critique of fifties era pop culture does not acknowledge this subtext at all

Not that the flintstones itself is a particularly good example of this as it was an escapist situation comedy but this particular theme is really really obvious if you're reading fifties era pop culture with a broad lens

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think a key thing probably is that as comics faded into a dying hobby for rusted-on diehards like model trains, someone realised you can make cartoons about superheroes and give them an actual budget and kids will watch them, and you can even make movies about superheroes too, and they made millions of dollars and sold toys

Comic books are just movies developed to the storyboard stage which then get audience testing. Doesn't take a lot to finish out the development cycle, really.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DoubleDonut posted:

I re-read Transmetropolitan recently for some reason and realized it seems very idealistic compared to current times, which is probably bad

a central thesis of transmetropolitan is that journalists can even potentially be worth a drat, which just gets more and more lolworthy as time goes on

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Organic Lube User posted:

Comic books are just movies developed to the storyboard stage which then get audience testing. Doesn't take a lot to finish out the development cycle, really.

Comic book movies are based loosely at best on comics

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Cerebral Bore posted:

a central thesis of transmetropolitan is that journalists can even potentially be worth a drat, which just gets more and more lolworthy as time goes on

Beat me too it. It was even lolworthy at the time - Spider can write so well that people are shocked out of their complacency and into action. And he's really badass and ferocious in person. Just his anger us enough to get people to cower

:what:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I was like 14 when I first read it so it just kind of washed over me. I still enjoy reading it but, like, there's a bit near the end where tv journalists, faced with orders from the president (backed by occupying soldiers) to stop broadcasting footage of a government massacre, bravely defy those orders to Do What's Right

Meanwhile, we don't even have to coerce journalists into supporting the police state, even when they're the actual victims of it

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

DoubleDonut posted:

Meanwhile, we don't even have to coerce journalists into supporting the police state, even when they're among the actual victims of it

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
yeah that's fair

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I always thought Transmetropolitan is just Hunter Thompson in the future.

If lifestyle compounds existed, people would join their preferred one in a heartbeat.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

DoubleDonut posted:

Meanwhile, we don't even have to coerce journalists into supporting the police state, even when they're the actual victims of it

Mainstream American journalism will never recover from the post-9/11 Bush years when the attitude was pretty much "We go to the press briefing and the press secretary says stuff, and we uncritically report what he tells us."

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

DoubleDonut posted:

I think, like a lot of entertaining pop culture criticisms of culture and government from the last 30+ years, it seems kind of quaint atm because it posits that the system is working and not falling apart; the biggest problem is that the system and its people are ignorant, they do and think things I don't agree with. At least in the first third, most of Spider's rants about how everything is wrong are done while he's upending some public gathering of people who seem pretty happy. He's a pissed off guy who lives in comfort, but is disgusted and enjoys shouting about how disgusted he is at all the other comfortable people. It's a criticism of the middle to upper class mindset of the late 90s-pre 9/11 00s Clinton years, where we were emerging into a utopian age, furnished by the irresistible democratizing force of high tech and liberalism.

That doesn't really track today, since people (leastwise here in America) are riding a wave of apocalyptic thought and increasing privation, and the government appears to be breaking apart as a dopey fascist and his friends battle it out with the backbone of the federal government who themselves are pissed not by his politics, but that he's interrupted their multi decade project to quietly convert the government into a corporation that primarily services the accounts of their clients (other corporations). Nothing seems to be working, there is no protagonist, liberalism has lost the ability to assist its less wealthy constituency satisfy at least some of their interests and generate the effective propaganda it needs to hide its own, and tech is brazenly eating people and their civil liberties alive. Transmet is pretty dated.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

If nothing else I have to appreciate the acknowledgement that nearly every adult man in the United States in the fifties was if not a veteran at least directly affected by the war somehow and it's really obnoxious how most critique of fifties era pop culture does not acknowledge this subtext at all

Not that the flintstones itself is a particularly good example of this as it was an escapist situation comedy but this particular theme is really really obvious if you're reading fifties era pop culture with a broad lens

yeah America still basically refuses to acknowledge that or the role it had in creating this arch type of the stoic silent masculine man secretly filled with rage

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

I think a good part of why the boomers grew up so spoiled is pop culture from their era onwards basically revolved entirely around them. Even their parents weren't really people, they were Mom and Dad, archetypes without depth or feeling beyond those socially acceptable to express.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Some Guy TT posted:

You could say the OG Flintstones did in an indirect way (even if it didn't realize it) by having the Sacred Order of the Water Buffaloes. Most people today don't get it at all or just think it's the Freemasons. But it's a lot more. Groups like the Lions Club and the Elks Club exploded in popularity after WW2, because besides their public purpose of being charities they served the function of being support and therapy groups for the gargantuan mass of veterans in a time before widespread public acceptance of mental-health. And it's no surprise that all these groups have mostly vanished because no American war, even Vietnam, ever came close to WW2 and thus they died out as the veterans did. So for a 50's/60's sitcom like the Flintstones having all the adult men be members of an animal themed secret society was considered normal, even if the show doesn't actually state why all the men care so much about it.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

page 3 (?) of you mfers talkin about the fuckin flinstones what is going on this pandemic had to end

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

is there anything to watch these days besides uhh... Adam Sandlers Hubie Halloween?

I guess the new mandalorian is out soon? wasnt really impressed that much by season 1

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i’m gonna watch Dick Johnson Is Dead on netflix tonight, about a cinematographer/documentary filmmaker making a doc about her dad dying, by filming him dying a bunch of different ways, sounds like it might be bad but it’s gotten great reviews and her previous doc Cameraperson was incredible

trailer: https://youtu.be/wfTmT6C5DnM

anyone else see this one yet?

also cats is on hbo max now and i’ll prob watch that under some sort/s of influence

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i probably shouldn't admit it, but i've been binging seasons 12ish and on of Supernatural since the last season is here. It's been pretty hit-and-miss through the later seasons, but...god drat if I can't watch just about anything that Mark Sheppard is featured heavily in.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Ive been watching the Fargo series for the first time. I’m surprised by how good it is! About halfway through season 2 now.

Serf
May 5, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

Ive been watching the Fargo series for the first time. I’m surprised by how good it is! About halfway through season 2 now.

yeah i just rewatched fargo, its a great show. i'm watching it and justified to help with inspiration for this crime in the modern south rpg campaign i'm running

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

lol worf's lovely kid shows up on ds9 and is somehow even lamer as an adult

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Wheeee posted:

lol worf's lovely kid shows up on ds9 and is somehow even lamer as an adult

It's hilarious how he can't understand why his kid is so angry at him despite mentioning that he abandoned his kid on earth.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Then like two episodes later he's gone back to his home planet because absolutely nobody wants him around

then worf begins planning to have a new kid lol

I love this stupid show, is Voyager worth watching?

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

there is no way this holds a candle to Rare Exports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwT3wtUCv9Y

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think, like a lot of entertaining pop culture criticisms of culture and government from the last 30+ years, it seems kind of quaint atm because it posits that the system is working and not falling apart; the biggest problem is that the system and its people are ignorant, they do and think things I don't agree with. At least in the first third, most of Spider's rants about how everything is wrong are done while he's upending some public gathering of people who seem pretty happy. He's a pissed off guy who lives in comfort, but is disgusted and enjoys shouting about how disgusted he is at all the other comfortable people. It's a criticism of the middle to upper class mindset of the late 90s-pre 9/11 00s Clinton years, where we were emerging into a utopian age, furnished by the irresistible democratizing force of high tech and liberalism.

That doesn't really track today, since people (leastwise here in America) are riding a wave of apocalyptic thought and increasing privation, and the government appears to be breaking apart as a dopey fascist and his friends battle it out with the backbone of the federal government who themselves are pissed not by his politics, but that he's interrupted their multi decade project to quietly convert the government into a corporation that primarily services the accounts of their clients (other corporations). Nothing seems to be working, there is no protagonist, liberalism has lost the ability to assist its less wealthy constituency satisfy at least some of their interests and generate the effective propaganda it needs to hide its own, and tech is brazenly eating people and their civil liberties alive. Transmet is pretty dated.

this is really well put.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wheeee posted:

Then like two episodes later he's gone back to his home planet because absolutely nobody wants him around

then worf begins planning to have a new kid lol

I love this stupid show, is Voyager worth watching?

Voyager is awful and has aged even worse, don't bother besides maybe a handful of eps

later on worf's kid becomes a lucky charm to the klingons because they believe having him around uses up all the bad luck

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Counterpoint: Voyager is good, actually.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
voyager is good, it had a rougher time finding itself than TNG but the highs are really quite high, it's as fun a rewatch as either of the other two major ones of the time, it's just that the lows are really low too

and once you move past Kes it's a lot better even on average, I usually dislike a show leaning on its popular characters but seven and the doctor as well as ryan and picardo are entertaining enough to carry a lot by themselves

it's not like, shattering or revelatory or anything but voyager is good and worth it if you're in for 90s trek at all

Zvahl has issued a correction as of 12:01 on Oct 14, 2020

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Serf posted:

yeah i just rewatched fargo, its a great show. i'm watching it and justified to help with inspiration for this crime in the modern south rpg campaign i'm running

Just finished season two. Much more of it was aggressively referencing and combining famous characters, songs/scoring, and scenes from the Coen’s past films, but drat if it wasn’t fun, and the ten hours flew by. I wasn’t expecting anything this wacky and- no better way to put it- vulgarly fawning after season one. Really has me eager to see what the hell season three and four do.

I need to check out Justified again. A few years ago I watched a couple episodes and then just stopped for no reason. It seems really up my alley, seeing how I love small town/nowhere crime dramas and noir.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/amid/status/1316129358680068096

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Just finished season two. Much more of it was aggressively referencing and combining famous characters, songs/scoring, and scenes from the Coen’s past films, but drat if it wasn’t fun, and the ten hours flew by. I wasn’t expecting anything this wacky and- no better way to put it- vulgarly fawning after season one. Really has me eager to see what the hell season three and four do.

I need to check out Justified again. A few years ago I watched a couple episodes and then just stopped for no reason. It seems really up my alley, seeing how I love small town/nowhere crime dramas and noir.

Mike Milligan is probably one of my all time favorite tv characters, glad to see Woodbine get a role like that.

Started Justified because after Deadwood I’ll check out anything with Timothy Olyphant (he pops up in the latest season of Fargo in a real curious role) and finished the show feeling the same about Walton Goggins, who I’d never watched before. Reminds me I gotta check out Vice Principals

Serf
May 5, 2011

double negative posted:

Mike Milligan is probably one of my all time favorite tv characters, glad to see Woodbine get a role like that.

Started Justified because after Deadwood I’ll check out anything with Timothy Olyphant (he pops up in the latest season of Fargo in a real curious role) and finished the show feeling the same about Walton Goggins, who I’d never watched before. Reminds me I gotta check out Vice Principals

fun fact: walton goggins was supposed to die at the end of the first episode. but apparently test audiences liked him so much they rewrote it and look what happened

also agreed on mike milligan. such a great character with such a fitting end

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so i decided to solve the star trek voyager good or bad question once and for all by watching a random episode that appeared in a meme in the nojoe thread specifically 3/14 alter ego i have not watched an episode of voyager in at least ten years i think since its never on cable

its a kim slash tuvok episode and they are both goony weirdos in completely different ways this is cool as hell actually its somehow both more contemporarily relevant and more self aware than the random holodeck episode of the orville that i watched with my sister awhile back

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

At first I was thinking he was supposed to be this season's Lorne Malvo (ie a charismatic, naturally poised, devil figure for whom the novelty of disrupting order & maintaining his self-image as an apex predator are the true ends he pursues under the pretense of amassing wealth), but I quickly realized he's the exact opposite; a man keeping his anger and anxiety in check under a mask of calm as he goes all out trying to be accepted into the higher echelons of the system, and whatever havoc he causes in service of that are the means, not the goal. Also, yeah, his fate is pretty funny. Welcome to the working week, Mike.

E: My favorite Mike scene is when he shows up late to a very important event I won't spoil for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. That look on his face, like "Well, no reason to try and do a job that's already done," before jumping back in the car was priceless.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

also just from a screenwriting perspective i really liked how the initial plot of kim falling in love with a hologram transitioned to a completely different plot about tuvok which then dovetailed with the until then technobabble centric b plot to eventually create a climax that incorporates elements of all three storylines to deliver a punchline about aloof anonymous loneliness

back when this came out i probably would have just thought this was an above average trek episode but goddamn thats like loving black magic compared to modern attempts at episodic storytelling thats about as subtle as a sledgehammer with its themes and somehow gives away any halfway decent twist ahead of time by trying too hard to subvert an established trope

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So Netflix has some show about the French Revolution with some supernatural elements going in the background, which I'll admit is always a genre I enjoy, but it looks like the AV club not big fans of it

https://tv.avclub.com/la-revolution...source=facebook

Sounds like some Liberal Bullshit to me posted:

La Révolution offers an emphatically broad and scrupulously sanitized reading of history that champions the ideals of a revolution with little concern for its material context or mortal consequences. The French Revolution was a period of major social upheaval that established a precedent for representational, democratic government and Enlightenment era ideals, such as the separation between church and state throughout Europe and the rest the world. It was also a decade-spanning period of violent coups and counter-coups that marked the transition of one form of authoritarian government to another, slightly different form of authoritarian government. To tell a story, even a fantasy, that purposely omits either of these evident truths is not only disingenuous, but disrespectful in its tacit choice to frame history as an unimpeded arc of upward moral progress that just so happens to be built atop the graves of the countless lives lost along the way.

Sounds like the reviewer doesn't love the idea that the Revolution was a wholly good thing even if a lot of bad stuff happened

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
love that character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb814rfwOOE

next season you have this lovely fellow to look forward to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Wami6CJiA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

people who are being rewarded by the status quo are very invested in defaming and discrediting revolutionary movements of the past