Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ratbert90 posted:

You can and should hold your knowledge of how to use and where those scripts are hostage.

I mean, I agree with you on the fact that I don't need to help a company I no longer work for. Its not even like I was using my person GIT or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Super Soaker Party! posted:

on premises

Premise generally means something entirely different. The words are related and verrrry technically according to the etymology you could use premise as you have here, but in modern English it's not used as such (as in, the dictionary definition of the singular word does not include "tracts of land or buildings", see https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/premise).

I'm sorry, I was educated in the South.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Sickening posted:

I mean, I agree with you on the fact that I don't need to help a company I no longer work for. Its not even like I was using my person GIT or something.

Git (the software) isn't an abbreviation, so you can either spell it as git or Git if you feel like it needs the proper noun treatment. The wikipedia article has a section on naming with a Torvalds quote that basically says "I named it after myself", since the word is also slang for "a stupid person".

Similarly, just yesterday I've learned that I've been pronouncing debian wrong in public for the past 8 years.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
It's pronounced 'jit'

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Woof Blitzer posted:

It's pronounced 'jit'

juck jou

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

zjit

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
get-hub

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

In non boat money related topics:

How normal is imposter syndrome at new job. I just got the offer for k-12 school district IT Systems Administrator with my last gig being k-12 district but only IT Services Tech I (so like 1.5 steps lower than sysadmin). I feel confident enough that I can do it because they think I can do it but man it still feels a little like "am i supposed to know all this"

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Buff Hardback posted:

How normal is imposter syndrome at new job. I just got the offer for k-12 school district IT Systems Administrator with my last gig being k-12 district but only IT Services Tech I (so like 1.5 steps lower than sysadmin). I feel confident enough that I can do it because they think I can do it but man it still feels a little like "am i supposed to know all this"

pretty normal i think? just take a deep breath and banish the doubter voice to the back of your mind. of course you don't know it all no one does. especially at a new job your job is to pick up what you don't know and learn it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I love jit jub

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Given the history in this thread, I hope that job offer isn't for a school district in Georgia. Or was it Mississippi? :ohdear: I know it was the south.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Very, very common, in my experience. It takes a while to get up to speed in almost any environment that isn't super tiny. I always tell new folks I bring in that I don't expect them to be up to speed for 6 months. I consider myself pretty decent at coming into new environments and I still feel it. Over time, I've learned to try to lean more into "I'm not an idiot, I just feel like I'm moving around in quicksand," but there will inevitably be things you run into that you've not encountered in your travels before that you just simply don't have much knowledge on.

Another way I try to get it across to new folks I work with is that IT is a very vast field. It is to be expected to have gaps and your knowledge. Frequently, those gaps can come across as "this seems to basic, I should know this!" I try to be of the same mindset when I am judging someone's knowledge. It can be hard not to get frustrated by someone who you expect to know something but just honestly hasn't dealt with it before. That doesn't mean they're dumb or bad at their jobs.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

DelphiAegis posted:

Given the history in this thread, I hope that job offer isn't for a school district in Georgia. Or was it Mississippi? :ohdear: I know it was the south.

California so it's okay (annoyingly they're in a county that was permitted to open), but overall they're taking it relatively seriously it seems like

More than anything the even more terrifying part is the fact that I'm now considered management I was not expecting to have management tied to my title anytime soon

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Vargatron posted:

I'm sorry, I was educated in the South.

I mean, yeah maybe Mississippi/Alabama/Georgia's school systems are awful and terrible, but you can take "comfort" in the fact that even the supposed good school systems in the US are still racist trash. Do you think Massachusetts public schools taught us the Black Panthers weren't actually evil? That police started as slave-catchers? That Reconstruction was a poo poo job that failed miserably? Nope, no sir, Civil War happened and then slavery and racism were over. OVER. I SAID OVER EVERYTHING'S GREAT AMERICA #1.

poo poo goes deep and is everywhere.

Bit of a derail sorry in other news it's Apple news day, Prime day, and Patch Tuesday, quite the conjunction.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 13, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't disagree with what you're saying and I don't even particularly care that we're going a little off the rails here, but that seems like an unnecessary snipe that can probably be edited out so we don't have to make something bigger out of it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

I mean, yeah maybe Mississippi/Alabama/Georgia's school systems are awful and terrible, but you can take "comfort" in the fact that even the supposed good school systems in the US are still racist trash. Do you think Massachusetts public schools taught us the Black Panthers weren't actually evil? That police started as slave-catchers? That Reconstruction was a poo poo job that failed miserably? Nope, no sir, Civil War happened and then slavery and racism were over. OVER. I SAID OVER EVERYTHING'S GREAT AMERICA #1.

poo poo goes deep and is everywhere. It's like how every Canadian adopts an air of righteous superiority talking about America's moral failings until you mention the First Nations and then they just clam DOWN.

Bit of a derail sorry in other news it's Apple news day, Prime day, and Patch Tuesday, quite the conjunction.

As someone who was also educated in the South and who's state was ranked 49th in the nation, I think it was more a knock on the quality, not what is actually taught.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

poo poo goes deep and is everywhere. It's like how every Canadian adopts an air of righteous superiority talking about America's moral failings until you mention the First Nations and then they just clam DOWN.

That's bullshit, and also a dumb unnecessary derail for this thread.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's bullshit, and also a dumb unnecessary derail for this thread.

Fine, edited.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol, you really nailed that one

ANYWAYS

Hope everyone's patch Tuesday is going swimmingly. We recently switched from SCCM/WSUS to Intune/WuFB and it feels real good!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

If you're posting in this thread and an organization has extended you a job offer I have little doubt that you'd actually be able to, or learn in quick measure how to, perform the duties pertaining thereto.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Internet Explorer posted:

lol, you really nailed that one

ANYWAYS

Hope everyone's patch Tuesday is going swimmingly. We recently switched from SCCM/WSUS to Intune/WuFB and it feels real good!

Thanks buddy, always appreciate a burn from the most awful browser in existence.

How's the update timing ability of WuFB? Can you set it to do things like wait two weeks before installing updates, etc? We're starting to deploy Intune and I'd love to toss WSUS in the trash because goddamn I've spent years on care and feeding of WSUS (not helped by AdamJ deciding to paywall his script - don't get me wrong he should make money off his work, but a lot of people don't see the point of paying someone for WSUS maintenance), and I'd sure love to stop doing that. Especially since many of the machines are now remote anyway and only connecting to the updates server through VPN, which is stupid.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks buddy, always appreciate a burn from the most awful browser in existence.

How's the update timing ability of WuFB? Can you set it to do things like wait two weeks before installing updates, etc? We're starting to deploy Intune and I'd love to toss WSUS in the trash because goddamn I've spent years on care and feeding of WSUS (not helped by AdamJ deciding to paywall his script - don't get me wrong he should make money off his work, but a lot of people don't see the point of paying someone for WSUS maintenance), and I'd sure love to stop doing that. Especially since many of the machines are now remote anyway and only connecting to the updates server through VPN, which is stupid.

You can create rings to manage update timing, but the longest you can defer a regular update is 30 days.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-deployment-rings-windows-10-updates

We just switched to WuFB last Monday.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

You can create rings to manage update timing, but the longest you can defer a regular update is 30 days.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-deployment-rings-windows-10-updates

We just switched to WuFB last Monday.

Seems fine, we don't want to have things too far out of date. It's just more to delay it so that the next time Microsoft releases an update that breaks printer GPOs or bluescreens Windows we're not immediately applying it. Right now our WSUS GPOs set updates to install on the 4th weekend of every month, i.e. 2 weeks after patch Tuesday, so having a 14 day delay in the Broad channel should be just what we need.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Buff Hardback posted:

I feel confident enough that I can do it because they think I can do it but man it still feels a little like "am i supposed to know all this"

I have seen "senior" level IT people who don't know crap besides how to cram for certs and sell themselves and they clear north of six figgies. So if someone is gonna have a job and not be good at it, it might as well be a goon in this very thread!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Taking an entry level programming course at age 31 is humbling.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Defenestrategy posted:

I have seen "senior" level IT people who don't know crap besides how to cram for certs and sell themselves and they clear north of six figgies.

first of all how dare u

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Vargatron posted:

To be fair the 18 year old version of you would have been less prepared regardless how you feel about it. I also super sympathize because I had just started trying to learn GO a few months ago and it took way too long to even start making any practical sense to me. Just keep after it. It will get better if you don't give up.

Sintaxx
Feb 4, 2007

CloFan posted:

also, catching up: Fortinets are great, Palos are pretty good too. Both are hella expensive for 10Gbps. We're using pfSense and looking at TNSR for routing, any opinions there?

Hopefully this is not too much of a necro post. Been lurking for awhile, just wanted to add that I used to be die hard Cisco ASA but I used Palo Alto at the last place I was at for edge firewall for office locations. If you want a box that will do security plus content/URL filtering and make real pretty one-click to pdf reports then Palo Alto is not a bad choice. What I noticed about their physical units (used the 3000 series mainly) is that over time the management gui tends to get real slow. Change commits could take up to 10 - 30 minutes to complete or just navigating through the menus could mean 1-3 minutes of load time. Of course, the place I was at was logging pretty much every accepted URL that people would visit which did not help either. If we needed to track down who was trying to go to hentai sites or something on company time it made it real easy to track down the user.

They also make you license each box in an HA pair. If I am never going to be using both devices at the same time I should only have to pay for one floating license. You can get threat protection, URL filtering, vpn, support etc license in 1, 3 or 5 year terms. The 5 year is the best deal as it is pretty much the price of 3 years with two years free (similar to how meraki prices their licensing). Their Panorama product is nice for managing multiple devices in different locations although the shared policy stuff can get tricky. Makes pushing global additions/changes out to multiple offices super easy.

Sintaxx fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 13, 2020

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

After $last-job I am really tired of licensed network gear in general and I would be way happier running strongswan and frr on something white box.

Sucks that cumulus is apparently nvidia now :smith:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sickening posted:

To be fair the 18 year old version of you would have been less prepared regardless how you feel about it. I also super sympathize because I had just started trying to learn GO a few months ago and it took way too long to even start making any practical sense to me. Just keep after it. It will get better if you don't give up.

Yeah I'm definitely more prepared to handle college at this age. Job experience has a large part to do with that I think. I'm working on a CIS degree right now, so there's less focus on explicit computer science classes, but I still have to take 4 or 5 programming oriented courses.

Honestly the coursework isn't the issue, it's the though that "well I should already know this". I reckon that's a common thing though for some professionals. I'm getting better at handling that but I guess I still have some ego I got to get over as I go along with coursework.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Vargatron posted:

I tried to teach myself C++ at 18 ... it didn't go so well, and I ended up bailing from pre-eng in the end, in part because I got mono (gently caress that illness, holy poo poo), and in part because I just wasn't prepared for it at the time.

I went back to uni at 25 after 4 years in the Navy, and it worked out better that time :v:

(I still loathe C++ and wound up working with industrial automation instead :downs: )

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Defenestrategy posted:

I have seen "senior" level IT people who don't know crap besides how to cram for certs and sell themselves and they clear north of six figgies. So if someone is gonna have a job and not be good at it, it might as well be a goon in this very thread!

now thats the spirit.

Sadly they're not offering 6 figgies (mid 60s) which overall I don't mind too much, there was another district offering 77k for a relatively similar specced position, but they've also had the position open since April and they haven't done anything with it

I figure it'll let me get my feet under me as far as infosec/actually being sysadmin then pivot up to big figgie positions either in private sector or public sector

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Everyone has their eyes on the security figgies, myself included. There’s certainly no shortage of work in that field.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Security rules but please actually be interested in it, and don't just go into it for the money.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

CLAM DOWN posted:

Security rules but please actually be interested in it, and don't just go into it for the money.

My cybersecurity instructor at a state college was also in charge of multiple overall area commands of a branch of the armed forces when it came to information security so I am very interested in it.

(the figgies are just a bonus)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

My cybersecurity instructor at a state college was also in charge of multiple overall area commands of a branch of the armed forces when it came to information security so I am very interested in it.

(the figgies are just a bonus)

It definitely sounds more prestigious than it is, that is for drat sure. Our armed forces security is... not good.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Sickening posted:

It definitely sounds more prestigious than it is, that is for drat sure. Our armed forces security is... not good.

I mean I definitely wouldn't tell him that in person because he can kick my rear end six days from Sunday :ssh:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

Seconded, I'm not saying all ex-mil cybersec guys are bad at cybersec, but it sure seems like it from my relatively small sample size. It really does seem all the military has in cybersec is dudes who can read STIGs and tell people who know what they're doing to do them, without knowing what, why, and how of the STIGs implementation. If you had a STIG that said "All network cabinet fluid coolant must remain topped off" you'd have some idiot with a sec+ and five years in arguing with me about how we need to get coolant for our small rear end local compute.

The sat-comms/networking guys tend to know their poo poo though.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 14, 2020

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Defenestrategy posted:

Seconded, I'm not saying all ex-mil cybersec guys are bad at cybersec, but it sure seems like it from my relatively small sample size. It really does seem all the military has in cybersec is dudes who can read STIGs and tell people who know what they're doing to do them, without knowing what, why, and how of the STIGs implementation. If you had a STIG that said "All network cabinet fluid coolant must remain topped off" you'd have some idiot with a sec+ and five years in arguing with me about how we need to get coolant for our small rear end local compute.

The sat-comms/networking guys tend to know their poo poo though.

I'm trying to be reasonably vague about him to avoid doxxing either him or myself, but I'm pretty sure he's the real McCoy due to certain things he offhandedly has mentioned as well as his job history on LinkedIn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Woof Blitzer posted:

Everyone has their eyes on the security figgies, myself included. There’s certainly no shortage of work in that field.

Unless it's Network Security jobs apparently. I had a look the other day in the UK and it's like they've taken an average network engineer job and then taken £10k off the salary. If they even put the salary on the advert, which most of them don't these days. Some real scumlord poo poo.