Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
It seems to be pretty good, 65%, hotswappable, QMK compatible, etc. I'm not a big fan of the design though. It just seems like your typical custom but with a quarter of the bottom plate being acrylic. But maybe it'll look better in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Where's my fusion, Durgod?! :mad:

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
OK, I looked around a little bit and these two seem to be the final choices. Anyone have any input on which one to buy?

https://www.newegg.com/p/32N-003D-00093?Item=9SIAAZRBC30850

https://www.newegg.com/p/32N-007U-00055?Item=9SIAAZR8GX2555

mewse
May 2, 2006

thehandtruck posted:

OK, I looked around a little bit and these two seem to be the final choices. Anyone have any input on which one to buy?

https://www.newegg.com/p/32N-003D-00093?Item=9SIAAZRBC30850

https://www.newegg.com/p/32N-007U-00055?Item=9SIAAZR8GX2555

Of those two, the durgod. You had "low profile red" selected on the other one which I doubt is what you want

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

mewse posted:

Of those two, the durgod. You had "low profile red" selected on the other one which I doubt is what you want

Thank you! I'm ordering it!

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Anybody know what kind of ergo build this is?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Canna Happy posted:

I have a 3c and I’m not super impressed so far, so maybe not a huge deal.

Honestly so long as it's decent enough quality, I'd be happy. Southpaw keyboards don't pop up that frequently.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I’m finally going to take the plunge and start building a keyboard, but it’s so hard to know where to start. Seems like everyone is using the GK64 or something similar which just seem to be sold out everywhere. The closest I could find was the Glorious GMMK which looks pretty good from what I can tell. I could order that and a bunch of switches, and I assume I can just drop them in and some keycaps and be ready to go. Is it worth getting the GMMK? Sorry if this has been asked a million times

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Yeah, the GMMK is an excellent starter board. It'll give you the flexibility to actually try out and see which switches you'll actually like.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

StabMasterArson posted:

I’m finally going to take the plunge and start building a keyboard, but it’s so hard to know where to start. Seems like everyone is using the GK64 or something similar which just seem to be sold out everywhere. The closest I could find was the Glorious GMMK which looks pretty good from what I can tell. I could order that and a bunch of switches, and I assume I can just drop them in and some keycaps and be ready to go. Is it worth getting the GMMK? Sorry if this has been asked a million times

If you are looking at 60%-65% boards, I'd consider the K6 as another reasonably priced option. It would be my preference over the compact GMMK as the K6 has Arrow keys.
https://www.amazon.com/Keychron-Swappable-Bluetooth-Mechanical-Rechargeable/dp/B0836FNNFX

The premium option (that's usually available) would be the Drop ALT. But it will be an extra ~$100 at least.
Low Profile - https://www.amazon.com/Massdrop-ALT-Mechanical-Keyboard-Programmable/dp/B07W5XS4J1
High Profile - https://www.amazon.com/Drop-ALT-High-Profile-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B083TMD1C9

.Z. fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 12, 2020

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Durgod finally released an update for their software to support the Fusion. Now I can actually use this thing!

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Constellation I posted:

Yeah, the GMMK is an excellent starter board. It'll give you the flexibility to actually try out and see which switches you'll actually like.
Great to know, thanks!

.Z. posted:

If you are looking at 60%-65% boards, I'd consider the K6 as another reasonably priced option. It would be my preference over the compact GMMK as the K6 has Arrow keys.
https://www.amazon.com/Keychron-Swappable-Bluetooth-Mechanical-Rechargeable/dp/B0836FNNFX

The premium option (that's usually available) would be the Drop ALT. But it will be an extra ~$100 at least.
Low Profile - https://www.amazon.com/Massdrop-ALT-Mechanical-Keyboard-Programmable/dp/B07W5XS4J1
High Profile - https://www.amazon.com/Drop-ALT-High-Profile-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B083TMD1C9
These DROP ones look awesome, but unfortunately kinda out of my price range. Although 65% boards do look pretty appealing. I'll consider the K6, thanks!

StabMasterArson fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 12, 2020

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

StabMasterArson posted:

Great to know, thanks!

These DROP ones look awesome, but unfortunately kinda out of my price range. Although 65% boards do look pretty appealing. I'll consider the K6, thanks!

I ordered a DROP TKL one (CTRL?) as my first board. I'll let you know my thoughts.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Constellation I posted:

The GMMK boards also let you easily pull tricks like putting a box Navy switch on caps lock, and heavier switches on things like the windows and escape keys. Pretty happy with that, actually.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

StabMasterArson posted:

If you're not sure what kind of switches you might like, I highly recommend this switch tester: https://kbdfans.com/products/kbdfans-super-swithes-tester-60-switches-all-in-one

I borrowed it from a friend and it turns out that, while I like Cherry Blues, I realllly like 62g Zileos, with Gateron Browns, and Cherry Clears being pretty close options. The GMMK I ordered apparently has Gateron Browns, and the Glorious Panda switches I've ordered are apparently close to all of those too.

I'd see if you can borrow one or buy one off somebody looking to sell theirs since it is like 50% the price of a whole set of switches.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Thanks for the advice everyone, I've decided to go with the GMMK and going to order a switch tester if I can find one in the UK easily!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Gearman posted:

If you're not sure what kind of switches you might like, I highly recommend this switch tester: https://kbdfans.com/products/kbdfans-super-swithes-tester-60-switches-all-in-one

I just got the 72-switch tester and, not gonna lie, it's kinda fun to just mindlessly click on when I'm bored

It also helped me decide what switches to try on my Hot Dox, I went with Box Jades

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

I just got the 72-switch tester and, not gonna lie, it's kinda fun to just mindlessly click on when I'm bored

It also helped me decide what switches to try on my Hot Dox, I went with Box Jades

Hahaha yes! I know exactly what you mean. I was very tempted to just buy it off my friend outright. It is super fun to mindlessly click on, way better than my fidget cube for sure. Might have to get a mini one just for that sort of thing.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I got a new GK64 keyboard and I absolutely adore it -- Gateron optical blue switches are a joy to type on. My only issue is that finding a set of keycaps for this are a nightmare; mainly because of the 2u left shift. Are there any websites that sell these? I found some on kdbfans and ebay but none really grabbed my interest (I like multicolor keycap sets); and AliExpress won't accept my payment methods for some reason.

e: basically this layout.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Is there a good wireless keyboard for the couch, preferably with a touchpad? By good I mean mainly that it is healthy and ergonomic-ish or something like that.

I've been using the logitech K400+ for months, with and without a base under it, not good. The short tight keys seem to lead to hard typing, and it's just a mess ergonomically.

At my standing desk that I don't use much I have a ducky mechanical keyboard, which is solid. I've tried using a mechanical keyboard on the couch, and it's usually just too heavy/clunky, and the lack of touchpad is an issue for me. Since wireless mouse on the couch isn't great for my wrist.

Shorter version, is there something like the k400+ with keys that are okay for your hands?

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 13, 2020

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Any recommendations on switches for someone looking to avert repetitive stress injury? I’ve started to develop wrist issues, and I’d like to move away from the heavy, high-actuation-force-requiring keyboard I’ve been using for some time (a Topre Type Heaven); I might keep using that for writing, but I play a fair amount of PC games, and I can definitely feel it in my left wrist when I’m gaming.

It’s been maybe 6 years since I looked in to switches and there’s definitely some new tech on the market: I hadn't even heard of Gateron last time I checked into this stuff. Anything I should look at for something that’s going to be easier on my wrists, and preferably isn’t loud so I can type while I’m on a call and not drive people insane?

Edit: for reference, this ZA0100 is what I've been using.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 14, 2020

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Is there a good wireless keyboard for the couch, preferably with a touchpad? By good I mean mainly that it is healthy and ergonomic-ish or something like that.

I've been using the logitech K400+ for months, with and without a base under it, not good. The short tight keys seem to lead to hard typing, and it's just a mess ergonomically.

At my standing desk that I don't use much I have a ducky mechanical keyboard, which is solid. I've tried using a mechanical keyboard on the couch, and it's usually just too heavy/clunky, and the lack of touchpad is an issue for me. Since wireless mouse on the couch isn't great for my wrist.

Shorter version, is there something like the k400+ with keys that are okay for your hands?

I'd go with something from Keychron or the Durgod Fusion + Apple Magic Trackpad. And if you want it on the same plane add in this thing: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Keyboard-Tilt-Adjustable-Leatherette-WR422LE/dp/B000A0LFA4

Kestral posted:

Any recommendations on switches for someone looking to avert repetitive stress injury? I’ve started to develop wrist issues, and I’d like to move away from the heavy, high-actuation-force-requiring keyboard I’ve been using for some time (a Topre Type Heaven); I might keep using that for writing, but I play a fair amount of PC games, and I can definitely feel it in my left wrist when I’m gaming.

It’s been maybe 6 years since I looked in to switches and there’s definitely some new tech on the market: I hadn't even heard of Gateron last time I checked into this stuff. Anything I should look at for something that’s going to be easier on my wrists, and preferably isn’t loud so I can type while I’m on a call and not drive people insane?

Switch-wise it sounds like you want to look at Cherry Reds and their equivalents. Light, linear switches that are usually the baseline for gaming. And if you want to make them quieter you can always go for Silent Reds or just throw silencing rings on them. Light tactile switches could also work if you wanted a bit more feedback when typing.
That said, I'd order a switch tester and see what feels right to you.

If you are willing to go through a learning period, you may also want to look at more extreme ergo designs, such as this: https://www.zsa.io/moonlander/

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sounds good, thanks!

I'll say, as somebody who also has wrist rsi issues, I found mx brown may be better than red. Since brown is softer than blue, but not mushy or whatnot. But I only tested reds in stores. I could always try them again. I assume gateron's browns and reds are similar?

That said, my move was also to abandon ship on keyboard and mouse gaming completely. Speaking of the couch. I figured 20 years was good enough, my hand was going numb and tingly from WASDing even briefly. I'm a controller man now, living like a schnook.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 14, 2020

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Kestral posted:

That link says the Type Heaven is uniform 45g, which is already on the lighter side for switches. You can certainly go lighter - I've seen linears as low as 20g - but I'd be surprised if the switches you're using are what's causing your wrist pain. Do you normally flex your wrists when you type/game? Can you try to straighten them (by adjusting your chair, desk, sitting position etc)? There are a lot of ergonomic factors I would look at before I tried swapping out keyswitches.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

what should I do question for people that do group buys.

I ordered a Hex 3C this spring as I wanted a 60% that wasn't a plate mount at a decent price. I purchased a standard hex, with a universal brass and an extra universal pom plate. I intended this to be built with tactile switches and the brass plate, the pom was just an extra that I would use later down the line if I felt like it. I ordered some zealios, lube, stabs and waited.
My board was shipped on September 2nd. The 17th of September, Hex emailed the group buy letting everyone know that they had hosed up the tolerances on the pom plate, and that most had spacing issues. They issued refunds of 15 dollars to anyone that had a pom plate. I don't think this is how I would've handled that situation, but I said whatever, I didn't really plan on using it for the build. I picked up my hex from the mailbox on the 19th and checked the contents. Everything appeared fine, no blemishes on the case, and the anodizing looked fine (minor streaking w/grey). I made tender love to my zealios and bag lubed their springs on the night of the 19th and then went to assemble everything on the morning of the 20th. I lubed my stabs and screwed them in, pulled out the brass plate...to find out they sent me a fixed 7u plate instead of the universal.

I immediately sent Kasterborous (hex guy) a dm on discord. He replied quickly on the 20th, stating that he'd send me the correct plate when he got to the warehouse. On the 24th, I messaged him again to see what was going on, and he told me he was figuring out shipping options. The next day he sent me a tracking number that didn't work, and still doesn't. I didn't say anything until October 4th, asking him if he could check the number, as one tracking app said that it was short a number to be a valid tracking number. He said he'd look into it. No response, so I dm'd him on the 9th and he just said it was supposed to be sent out and that maybe its missing and that he would email them. I still haven't gotten a response 5 days later.

What should I do? Buy another set of caps to get a 7u and chalk it up to poo poo luck on a groupbuy with a wonky looking standard board with a 7u? Ask my credit card for a charge back (not sure if possible, since it was purchased in april, but maybe)? Just sell it on mm with what it came with? I purchased this board for a specific build, in a specific color, with a specific set of caps. Ugh.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Keep pestering him on socials for a valid tracking number. Last resort would be to have visible comments on public boards so that they'd have to save face for their vendor/group buy reputation I guess. (geekhack, r/mk, discord)

Chargebacks and PayPal disputes don't really work for group buys since so much time will pass by then.

Unfortunately, this is the risk with group buys with relatively small vendors (or even just a random dude planning the whole thing). Me and a bunch of people got completely ripped off by some dude who completely disappeared for some split ergo keyboard (before they were pretty cheap like now) and I now 2 years later, I see the guy is back on r/mk again like nothing happened.

For now, maybe try and see if you can laser cut a proper plate or something. Not sure if it's worth the hassle for you though. Or if it's just the bottom row, you can probably just get keycap replacement for that row that KINDA fits your original keycap colour scheme.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Constellation I posted:

Keep pestering him on socials for a valid tracking number. Last resort would be to have visible comments on public boards so that they'd have to save face for their vendor/group buy reputation I guess. (geekhack, r/mk, discord)

Chargebacks and PayPal disputes don't really work for group buys since so much time will pass by then.

Unfortunately, this is the risk with group buys with relatively small vendors (or even just a random dude planning the whole thing). Me and a bunch of people got completely ripped off by some dude who completely disappeared for some split ergo keyboard (before they were pretty cheap like now) and I now 2 years later, I see the guy is back on r/mk again like nothing happened.

For now, maybe try and see if you can laser cut a proper plate or something. Not sure if it's worth the hassle for you though. Or if it's just the bottom row, you can probably just get keycap replacement for that row that KINDA fits your original keycap colour scheme.

Yeah...pretty much what I figured. The whole bottom row is a problem. I can get a 7u dsa in the mod colors which would work, but I don't have proper sized ctrl/win/alt...so yeah. I could use novelties to fill it, but...no.

Anyone want to buy a hex 3c for cost? I've lost interest in building this now.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Yeah, I think Constellation I has the best advice here. I also have experienced my own group buy woes but have not satisfactorily resolved any of them.

Ask me about my Lumina experience! (please don't)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Ask me about my Lumina experience! (please don't)

Everyone loves a good GB gone wrong story.

How did your Lumina order go? :munch:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I put together my Cospad! Babby's first keyboard assembly! Used Gazzew Boba U4 68gs for everything but the enter key, which got a Box Navy. These feel fantastic and now I kind of want a TKL with them...

It took way too long because I hosed up some basic stuff (took forever to install the teeny tiny stabilizer screws, foam wouldn't fit properly around my stabs/needed to be cut more and I kept bending my switch pins trying to get it to line up--:rip: the 3 I broke a pin off of, it was shorting because one of the hot-swap sockets the previous owner installed was touching a screw so I had to wedge another tiny insulation washer in there) but now it's working fine.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

LochNessMonster posted:

Everyone loves a good GB gone wrong story.

How did your Lumina order go? :munch:

This is the exact opposite of what I wanted :cry:

Well, you asked for it. The Lumina was supposed to be a 60% keyboard with a Corian case. They promised several different styles and colors of case, plus choice of acrylic or brass base. The group buy started in 2018, and I placed an order in August of that year. Delivery was estimated for February 2019.

That never happened. The group buy runner was very vague with details and delayed with updates. From what little others could finally figure out, it sounds like he mismanaged the group buy and lost a lot of money trying to find a manufacturer to produce the orders. He then started other one-off projects to try to raise money for the original group buy, but surprise surprise he still couldn't manage the money and manufacturing. More money was lost, more projects never delivered, and finally in the middle of 2020 another person in the community got him to legally sign over the group buy. Now the plan is to find a new manufacturer and ask anyone who still wants something resembling the original product to chip in some more money to get a basic version of the keyboard. Refunds are completely out of the question by now, so there goes ~$300 with nothing to show for it.

And guess who's still following this dumb poo poo? :negative:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

She's ugly, the soldering is poo poo, and I don't even have enough keycaps that fit, let alone good ones (and this layout is going to make things difficult, but she's a hardwired hotswap pad and she's mine.

Also I probably should have done it the other way round but that didn't occur to me until after I wired it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Canna Happy posted:

Yeah...pretty much what I figured. The whole bottom row is a problem. I can get a 7u dsa in the mod colors which would work, but I don't have proper sized ctrl/win/alt...so yeah. I could use novelties to fill it, but...no.

Anyone want to buy a hex 3c for cost? I've lost interest in building this now.

Even if you don't want to build it, your best bet would be to wait for the replacement plate (and pester him about it in the meantime) before getting rid of it. You'll have an easier time selling it with 2 plate options instead of just one.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Does anyone know if it's possible to get bulk custom keycaps for cheep? I found things like this: https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/pbt-esc-cherry-mx-keycap.html but the prices don't get cheaper the more you buy. If I wanted to fill a keyboard with that key cap I linked, it'd be like $350. I'd like to order like quantities of 100 to 1000 or so of the same design.

huhu fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 17, 2020

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

StabMasterArson posted:

GMMK is good for the price. Get some PBT caps off of Ali or Amazon though, as they'll feel a lot better and cost the same/less.

Also note that the GMMK doesn't work with PCB-mount switches. You can still use pcb-mount switches, but you'll need to cut the legs off with flush cutters.

Kestral posted:

Nothing will feel as amazing as Topre.

For wrists: Make sure they are straight (in all directions). One of the biggest wrist pain producers imo is vertical tilt. A lot of people have wrists resting lower than the keyboard which bends them at an upwards angle.

For games do you WASD a lot? Personally I found my W key repetition and finger stretch to cause a lot of stress throughout my hand. Much more than switch weight.

For example, I use a macropad with a mix of Gateron reds and clears, but mostly it has a slight negative stagger on the WS row which lets my fingers rest/travel less.

YMMV as everyone is different. Try paying attention when you play games and finding what exact movements are causing issues.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 17, 2020

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

StabMasterArson posted:

Just got my GMMK White Ice and I love it. I have some Zealios and Glorious Panda switches on the way because the Gateron Browns that come with the board don't have quite enough bump for me. That said, I had some minor trouble with the software, but a reboot fixed it. Lot of RGB customization if that's your thing, though I just keep it off or at a low intensity white. Looks really nice with the rest of my build.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

huhu posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to get bulk custom keycaps for cheep? I found things like this: https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/pbt-esc-cherry-mx-keycap.html but the prices don't get cheaper the more you buy. If I wanted to fill a keyboard with that key cap I linked, it'd be like $350. I'd like to order like quantities of 100 to 1000 or so of the same design.

You might have to get in touch with a manufacturer for a bulk buy. Besides looking to alibaba there's Signature Plastics in the US who make a lot of keycaps for custom keyboards:
https://www.solutionsinplastic.com/

Their store front for sets is https://pimpmykeyboard.com/ but you'd probably want the main company. I don't know if your order quantity would be enough for them but they'd be able to tell you what quantities they want to hit for price reductions.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

This sold out really fast for the first drop, too. Managed to get a white and clear acrylic case this time. I still have yet to put together the black v1.

Edit: 2nd half of drop is at 6am Pacific Time tomorrow.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Gearman posted:

Just got my GMMK White Ice and I love it. I have some Zealios and Glorious Panda switches on the way because the Gateron Browns that come with the board don't have quite enough bump for me. That said, I had some minor trouble with the software, but a reboot fixed it. Lot of RGB customization if that's your thing, though I just keep it off or at a low intensity white. Looks really nice with the rest of my build.

The trick I found was to run their app as administrator in order for it to actually save the settings beyond the active session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Alarbus posted:

The trick I found was to run their app as administrator in order for it to actually save the settings beyond the active session.

My issue was that I plugged in the keyboard, installed the software... and then nothing happened. When I manually launched it, it gave me a message that no keyboard was found. A quick reboot and the software worked just fine.

I'll definitely keep the 'run as administrator' in mind, as I've noticed it can sometimes be a little finicky when my machine comes out of sleep mode.