Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Shugojin posted:

Nah every other device in the house works fine, his laptop's hosed

it's managed by his employer though so it's their problem not mine!

My guess is misconfigured local DNS severs

I.e this but at the network adapter level

AlexDeGruven posted:

Left field guess: He thought he was being savvy and pulled the DNS settings he found on the VPN adapter configuration and added them to his router's configuration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I had to deal with "my Outlook looks different!" today.

(She'd enabled tablet mode. I was 99.69420% sure it was either that or managing to accidentally set up Mail before I even looked. Yay me.)

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Search options were added to a web based reporting system that we use; on one particular computer no one could access those search options (though they worked for everyone involved on every other computer). I filed a ticket about it on Friday. Now it works.

I love being made to look like a jackass by help desk. They told me there's no way the bug I reported is possible and since I didn't take screenshots of the original issue I can't prove it ever happened. The condescension in the response, though..."that's not possible, it's like saying when you use this computer and go to google.com it says gogle instead."

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, let's not. I know it's hard to believe, but there are black people in tech and I'd venture to guess that they don't enjoy a constant reminder that their ancestors were sold into and brutalized under slavery.

Yesterday was literally Columbus Day in the USA. Calm down.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Maestro posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Peoples%27_Day

Nah, people making racist jokes can gently caress right off.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Maestro posted:

Even taken as a man of his time, Columbus was so violently racist and bigoted the Spanish Inquisition felt he was too extra.

Let that sink in.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Sickening posted:

I know. But check this out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Day

I personally do not think the OP’s joke was at the expense of people with ancestors who were enslaved and do not find the joke to be racist at all.

dragonshardz posted:

Even taken as a man of his time, Columbus was so violently racist and bigoted the Spanish Inquisition felt he was too extra.

Let that sink in.

My point is that we still celebrate him with a holiday. I am not using him as a good example. I think that is a worse reminder than a joke on a tech forum.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

We're celebrating indigenous peoples week.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Maestro posted:

I know. But check this out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Day

I personally do not think the OP’s joke was at the expense of people with ancestors who were enslaved and do not find the joke to be racist at all.

My point is that we still celebrate him with a holiday. I am not using him as a good example. I think that is a worse reminder than a joke on a tech forum.

Its just a joke dude! Its in no way weird that I come to this thread I don't post in to defend racist jokes. Its totally normal and cool. Its in no way because I am a turbo edgelord.

Awww, a poster who regularly posts where people unironically praise lowtax still. Figures.

The Fool posted:

We're celebrating indigenous peoples week.

:feelsgood:

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 13, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

seems like it doesn't matter who is and isn't offended, it's been made clear that slavery jokes are off-limits itt and that's that. no reason to argue about it

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

Shugojin posted:

3 loving hours with a guy whose laptop won't get web pages without being connected to the VPN and surely this is my fault as the ISP

I eventually got on the phone with an IT guy from his employer who has agreed with my conclusion of "i don't know what the gently caress, it can clearly get to the internet or it wouldn't connect to the VPN successfully"

:iiam:

His proxy is set wrong. The proxy server is reachable through VPN, but not otherwise.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

EoRaptor posted:

His proxy is set wrong. The proxy server is reachable through VPN, but not otherwise.
I have seen people do that on purpose, out of the misguided idea that it'll prevent their users getting a machine full of malware.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I don’t know of anywhere where people regularly praise Lowtax, and I think you’re referring to FYAD? Who have made fun of lowtax for years. And I don’t post there. I am against mods probating people for spurious reasons.

If you are offended by that joke on behalf of black people, you’re clutching pearls. I think you’re uncomfortable with the reminder.

But you’re right I don’t post here. I’ve said my piece so I’ll leave.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

dragonshardz posted:

Let that sink in.

I know this is getting off the rails, but I saw a tweet declaring yesterday "Fail Son Day" and it cracked me up.

My household is an Indigenous People Day house as it is, has been for a few years now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If anyone feels strongly about forums modding, I'd encourage you to make a thread in QCS. If you'd rather have a 1-on-1 discussion, I'm more than happy to chat via PMs.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

If you'd rather have a 1-on-1 discussion,

*quarterly review ptsd intensifies*

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol, I have indeed been in IT management way too long

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

This is why I'm not a mod, both of them would have caught a "get the gently caress out of this thread and subforum"

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Maestro posted:

I don’t know of anywhere where people regularly praise Lowtax, and I think you’re referring to FYAD? Who have made fun of lowtax for years. And I don’t post there. I am against mods probating people for spurious reasons.

If you are offended by that joke on behalf of black people, you’re clutching pearls. I think you’re uncomfortable with the reminder.

But you’re right I don’t post here. I’ve said my piece so I’ll leave.

Eat an entire sack of donkey cocks.

There is a difference between getting offended on behalf of minorities and shutting down an unfunny dipshit's badposting.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

orange juche posted:

This is why I'm not a mod, both of them would have caught a "get the gently caress out of this thread and subforum"

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
This is a dumb derail. Stop being racist and gatekeeping who is allowed to be offended by what in the funny IT ticket thread.

Quickies:

Problem: Unable to print
Solution: User had inserted paper into the toner tray instead of the feed tray.

Screenshot of an error message printed to PDF and stretched across two pages.

"I can't find a file. It's in a folder called 'scan' somewhere on my computer"

I almost miss the batshit insane life I've led up to this point but holy crap I haven't dreaded waking up in months now.

Please get even more boring, life. I'm retired.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
PM: "hey, a user is having a problem."

Me: "Which user, and what's the problem?"

PM: "Can you jump on this conference call with me and 4 client VIPs about an unrelated project so I can explain the problem?"

Me: "...no, have the user put in a ticket."

PM: *puts in a ticket saying $userX is having a problem, does not specify problem.*

... Progress, I guess?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah, now you can leave a written record of asking for more details before closing the ticket in a couple of days.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, now you can leave a written record of asking for more details before closing the ticket in a couple of days.

Ah, but this doesn't display ~empathy with the customer's sense of urgency~!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ah, yes, my favorite kind of ticket: put in by someone for someone else, with no detail.
Marginally better is the same ticket put in by the actual user. Help me help you, my guy. Give me information!

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
the worst thing is, the user is someone i have a good working relationship with and is usually really good about submitting detailed tickets with screenshots and clear explanations, so i'm worried that she's cramming herself into the middle to "help" and actually discouraging him from getting the help he needs!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CaptainJuan posted:

the worst thing is, the user is someone i have a good working relationship with and is usually really good about submitting detailed tickets with screenshots and clear explanations, so i'm worried that she's cramming herself into the middle to "help" and actually discouraging him from getting the help he needs!

Those are the best worst helpers. I have a whole raft of them, who put in tickets with no info and the tickets die because the helper never responds because they didn't know that tech support is a two way street.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think one of my most satisfying tickets was when I got a ticket saying that they'd been calling for days, putting in multiple tickets and been ignored for some printer, and it'd been escalated to a VP.

I fixed the problem, it was easy, and then I insisted on figuring out how the problem could have been ignored for so long so that I could figure out who dropped the ball in the IT department. I don't think that VP was very impressed when I started collecting information on the previous tickets and every single manager had an answer like "Oh, bob put in the ticket on the previous shift." *calling up bob and putting him on speaker* "Oh, Jen on morning shift put in the ticket." *calling jen on radio because her shift's almost over* "Oh, I thought gary took care of that."

Turns out they'd been missing important reports and loving up poo poo for a couple of weeks and nobody'd actually reported it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
So last night, during the maintenance window, I knocked a few hundred customers off when I went to turn up a newly swapped line card on a router that was physically done by someone else. Total outage time was ~10 minutes. Reverted the change, got customers back on, then took some time to investigate (aka asking people smarter than me for help). We found the problem, fixed it, turned the card back up and put it back into production. Everything was fine.

Apparently someone on the executive team got a stick up their rear end and tried to pin me to the wall since I submitted a non customer affecting maintenance even though we specifically reserve this kind of work for the maintenance window just in case this kind of thing happens. My boss went on a loving war path and absolved me of all blame before I even came back to work and found out any of this happened. It feels super good to have a boss who stands up for me and isn't afraid of management. (Then I can have his job once he gets himself fired for kicking the bee hive)

The only way they even found out is because I documented everything perfectly so I guess they just don't want people documenting the bad stuff anymore despite it being a valuable learning experience.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Good on your boss. That's how you do it.

And you should feel 0 guilt.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
On a call with a team from $customer. It’s an existing team but they are new to best practices for engaging with support.

During this monthly check-in a lead lets me know that he’s been having a problem and doesn’t know what to do. I say my usual “Open a support case and allow one of the six thousand support engineers who are waiting for your call 24x7x365 to help you. If you’d opened a support case rather than waiting until this call you’d have had an answer by now. So open a case and DM me the number and I’ll shepherd it through so you get an answer right quick.”

Then jackass from my team, the same jackass who complains that he’s super slammed all the time and needs people to boss aroundtake on parts of his job, this jackass says, “Why not just send me the details and I’ll look into it for you.”

Okay fuckface: The reason why thy don’t know best practices and how to be efficient is because you inject yourself into every process where you. are. not. needed. Also: I am support and you are pre-sales so stay in your loving lane. Go away forever.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Good on your boss. That's how you do it.

And you should feel 0 guilt.

I feel negative guilt. The guy who did the swap missed a step that's not my responsibility to do. It's extremely not my fault and they should be loving thanking me for choosing to troubleshoot further instead of throwing my hands up in the air, referring it back to engineering, and letting that device sit without redundancy for another day or three.

I'm more pissed than anything because, sure the guy who did the swap made a mistake but I'm not even blaming him. Mistakes happen and a process exists to account for the possibility. It's not a pattern for him to do this, I learned something new for the future as a result of it all, and in the grand scheme of things it shouldn't have been that big of a deal.

This is why I'll never be management.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 16, 2020

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Got a request today from the useless marketing team middle manager: "send me the meta on our dot com for our Amazon nav bar."

At least they used the word meta so I could infer they wanted our keyword list.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Renegret posted:

This is why I'll never be bad management.

FTFY

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Darchangel posted:

Ah, yes, my favorite kind of ticket: put in by someone for someone else, with no detail.

My Favorite: Secretary calling in for her boss, who is texting her with his issues from a meeting in another state

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CollegeCop posted:

My Favorite: Secretary calling in for her boss, who is texting her with his issues from a meeting in another state

I would ask her to post his updates in the ticket, and f5 that ticket

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

CollegeCop posted:

I hate poo poo like that. It would be so much faster and easier for them to talk directly to the helpdesk or put in a ticket, but they are too far up their own asses to do something so lowly. So instead it's a game of telephone that takes ten times longer to resolve.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ponzicar posted:

I hate poo poo like that. It would be so much faster and easier for them to talk directly to the helpdesk or put in a ticket, but they are too far up their own asses to do something so lowly. So instead it's a game of telephone that takes ten times longer to resolve.
On the other hand, when you get a competent secretary who trusts you... that's worth a lot and you should treasure that person and fix their poo poo ASAP forever.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Arquinsiel posted:

On the other hand, when you get a competent secretary who trusts you... that's worth a lot and you should treasure that person and fix their poo poo ASAP forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Arquinsiel posted:

Thirding that as well. And, really, anyone who is a "friend of IT" who will listen to you and actually work with you and do what you say.
I try to get in good standing with administrative assistants, because they know where the bodies are buried how to get things, and get things done. At least, the good ones. Oddly enough, we don't have any at my current location, despite having several VPs and one C-level (COO.)