Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

LOL, they seem to have fixed autopilot by breaking FLC mode. It doesn't work on descent any longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Soy Division posted:

LOL, they seem to have fixed autopilot by breaking FLC mode. It doesn't work on descent any longer

It never worked on descent.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Now you're talking. My Dad was a Captain on the 737-200 a long time ago and empty, these things were a rocket. Plus big bucket thrust reversers and a gravel kit meant you could get in to all sorts of places other jets couldn't get.

Yeah that's the kind of stuff I like. I wanna fly an OG 737 with the cigar tube engines around a thunderstorm from like Corpus Christi to Mexico City, landing hot and high while getting jolted all over the place, and navigating only by VOR and NDB and stopwatch. Smooth autopilot cruising at the flight levels is for sissies.

Also look at how smol they are :3:

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

i am kiss u now posted:

It never worked on descent.

It did for at least some planes although it was a bit janky, I've been using it...

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

This really is the best airliner.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Supposedly the third party Aermacchi MB-339 training jet is going to be released soon.

https://msfsaddons.com/2020/10/08/aermacchi-mb-339-release-is-near/

It would be the first real two-seater jet plane in the game. I can't wait, it's the kind of thing I really want to fly in this game.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Do you need to have a flight engineer for a -200?

Edit: also they have a very early 737 at the Museum of Flight in Seattle and it's so tiny!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Sagebrush posted:

flight levels is for sissies.

I spent a good 15 minutes trying to find some sort of FAA regulation against using offensive language but aside from ATC being required to report it I found nothing. :/

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone else notice the flight plans tracing paths around the entire world and the vfr map going blank when flying across 180 degrees longitude?

simble
May 11, 2004

Mailer posted:

I spent a good 15 minutes trying to find some sort of FAA regulation against using offensive language but aside from ATC being required to report it I found nothing. :/

That’s because they are FCC regulations and not FAA regulations.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Shine posted:

Regarding VKB orders, I placed my order on 10/2, knowing that VKB HQ was closed for a Chinese holiday. They said they'd resume shipping on 10/12, and I just got the shipping notice today, with delivery scheduled for Wednesday.

I can't speak for their order backlog on entire joysticks, but yeah, there was no delay (aside from the holiday) in getting the KOSMOSIMA Gunfighter grip shipped.

I ordered a gladiator NXT on the 9th and got the shipping notice today, so it seems like there's not much of a delay for full sticks either. Should note that I bought off of their aliexpress store and not the US storefront (I don't live in the US) so ymmv

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah that's the kind of stuff I like. I wanna fly an OG 737 with the cigar tube engines around a thunderstorm from like Corpus Christi to Mexico City, landing hot and high while getting jolted all over the place, and navigating only by VOR and NDB and stopwatch. Smooth autopilot cruising at the flight levels is for sissies.

This was a few years ago, but a bunch of dedicated people got a literal museum piece back up in the air to save it from being cut up to move it.
https://globalnews.ca/news/999859/737-takes-off-from-city-centre-airport-lands-safely-at-new-home/

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

piratepilates posted:

Supposedly the third party Aermacchi MB-339 training jet is going to be released soon.

https://msfsaddons.com/2020/10/08/aermacchi-mb-339-release-is-near/

It would be the first real two-seater jet plane in the game. I can't wait, it's the kind of thing I really want to fly in this game.

The same aircraft is also coming to DCS. It's not particularly useful there, but it's still an interesting move to see a third party target both platforms at once.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Are there any jets in MSFS2020 that are flyable without an incredible amount of jankiness? I keep losing money in OnAir buying one then selling it because of glaring issues that ruin the flying experience.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Soy Division posted:

Are there any jets in MSFS2020 that are flyable without an incredible amount of jankiness? I keep losing money in OnAir buying one then selling it because of glaring issues that ruin the flying experience.

The best luck I had was grabbing the latest A320 community mod here:
https://github.com/flybywiresim/a32nx

No idea, though, if this is free of jank in the latest patch or even updated for it or not. Sadly I'm kind of shelving the sim until I can play it without tons of crashes and bugs and all that plaguing me. I spent more time trying to diagnose and workaround than flying the last couple patches.

With any luck by the time its OK my new hardware will be here.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So, uh, autothrottle doesn't work anymore in the 787? Or at least it broke here after I let the plane climb from take-off to 16000ft. Causing the plane to overspeed when leveling out. The gently caress?

--edit: I'm now flying level at 270kn, and the nose is like 7° up to maintain altitude.

Jesus loving Christ, Asobo!

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 14, 2020

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

slidebite posted:

This was a few years ago, but a bunch of dedicated people got a literal museum piece back up in the air to save it from being cut up to move it.
https://globalnews.ca/news/999859/737-takes-off-from-city-centre-airport-lands-safely-at-new-home/

That was quite cool. Fortunately, there are a lot of ex-737 pilots and AMEs around who aren't so old they couldn't work on the jet to get it up and running.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Not sure if you have seen this...looks pretty cool and highly accurate!

https://store.x-plane.org/732-TwinJet-V3-Pro_p_739.html#tab-1

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

So, uh, autothrottle doesn't work anymore in the 787? Or at least it broke here after I let the plane climb from take-off to 16000ft. Causing the plane to overspeed when leveling out. The gently caress?

--edit: I'm now flying level at 270kn, and the nose is like 7° up to maintain altitude.

Jesus loving Christ, Asobo!

Please, god, won’t you think of the aircraft modeling team that has nothing to do with this

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is there an official place/procedure to report bugs?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

slidebite posted:

Is there an official place/procedure to report bugs?

I think it's here: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not sure if you have seen this...looks pretty cool and highly accurate!

https://store.x-plane.org/732-TwinJet-V3-Pro_p_739.html#tab-1

Yeah that is a really fantastic product. But it's for X-Plane and idk if I can do that simulator any more. The world is just...

Maybe they'll port it to FS2020

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah that is a really fantastic product. But it's for X-Plane and idk if I can do that simulator any more. The world is just...

Maybe they'll port it to FS2020

Yeah, that's my thing, too. FS2020 is just too amazing now. Hopefully it will see more ports. Plus, Austin Meyer seems like goof to whom we shouldn't give money.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I've never seen a formal announcement from them but this tweet which was posted a couple weeks ago showed flight pedals from Honeycomb. I continue to be impressed with their yoke and if they can come into the market with pedals that slot between the low end and the high end like their other products I think that would be awesome.

https://twitter.com/flyhoneycomb/status/1312199488497352704?s=20

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

soggybagel posted:

I've never seen a formal announcement from them but this tweet which was posted a couple weeks ago showed flight pedals from Honeycomb. I continue to be impressed with their yoke and if they can come into the market with pedals that slot between the low end and the high end like their other products I think that would be awesome.

That's exciting! I so want to get a new PC for flight simulation now. So much cool stuff to play with now.

I've largely given up trying to fly for real...costs are too great, benefits too small, time commitment enormous. I had dreamed of dusting off my logbook and finishing my PPL, but the barriers to doing so are just too big. I'd rather trick out a PC and spend a bunch of money on hardware to play with at home when I have a few hours to spare. Great to see someone like Honeycomb fitting into the mid-range of PC flight hardware.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

soggybagel posted:

gently caress that's nice but sucks that it won't be out for a long while.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've largely given up trying to fly for real...costs are too great, benefits too small, time commitment enormous. I had dreamed of dusting off my logbook and finishing my PPL, but the barriers to doing so are just too big. I'd rather trick out a PC and spend a bunch of money on hardware to play with at home when I have a few hours to spare. Great to see someone like Honeycomb fitting into the mid-range of PC flight hardware.

nooooo

it is a large commitment of time and effort absolutely, and it costs about as much as half a new car yeah, but it is super rewarding at the end, and to be able to say that you accomplished something less than 1 in 500 people in the USA has done, and far, far fewer than that in any other country

no judgment though, I do have a pilot's license (a real full one finally now) and I still think flight sims are great. I'm not gonna try to take a 152 into a thunderstorm in real life just to see what it's like

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 16, 2020

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
That's a pretty lame reason to do something tbh.

If you're making computer toucher money then yeah maybe but for the overwhelming majority of Americans the expense is difficult to justify.

There's also the whole lead poisoning thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

it is super rewarding at the end, and to be able to say

Just for clarification. It is super rewarding to be able to do stuff like go out over the coast, pull back the power and trim the plane up for 60 knots, open the window, and just putter along with your arm in the breeze looking at the waves and the boats and the motorcycles going by on the twisty roads, lazily steering around clouds as they drift by like icebergs. All your problems are at least several thousand feet away.

It is also rewarding to feel like you accomplished something that few other people have done.

also i am going to fight on this point: it costs on average around $12k to get a pilot's license. That's half the cost of a new car. I drive a 18 year old car with peeling paint because I decided to skip getting a leased 328i to keep up with the Joneses and spent that money on a pilot's license instead. You don't have to be a computer toucher at google or even making 6 figures to be able to swing it -- I am neither.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 16, 2020

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Any goon opinions on the MFG Crosswind rudder pedals?

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
Finally upgraded my ancient Saitek joystick with the CH Eclipse yoke.

It's pretty good (from only using it an hour or so). Lots of buttons. Let me tell you programming in the altitude select knob and vertical speed buttons was a lifesaving change. No more fiddling with those while the camera bounces.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sagebrush posted:

Just for clarification. It is super rewarding to be able to do stuff like go out over the coast, pull back the power and trim the plane up for 60 knots, open the window, and just putter along with your arm in the breeze looking at the waves and the boats and the motorcycles going by on the twisty roads, lazily steering around clouds as they drift by like icebergs. All your problems are at least several thousand feet away.

It is also rewarding to feel like you accomplished something that few other people have done.

also i am going to fight on this point: it costs on average around $12k to get a pilot's license. That's half the cost of a new car. I drive a 18 year old car with peeling paint because I decided to skip getting a leased 328i to keep up with the Joneses and spent that money on a pilot's license instead. You don't have to be a computer toucher at google or even making 6 figures to be able to swing it -- I am neither.

Just 12K? Flight time and all?

Middle class could do it, especially if that was their number one focus. There are people like that in every expensive hobby (horses, planes, track racing, boats) , they make just enough to be in the game and probably can't afford it, but it's their passion and their main thing, and some even center their whole lives around it. I read Alex Honnold's book (the Free Solo guy) and he literally lives in a van just so he can climb all day.

Kind of tempting actually. Not even to fully get the license, but lessons as an excuse to go get actual stick time.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Sapozhnik posted:

There's also the whole lead poisoning thing.
The what now?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Less Fat Luke posted:

The what now?

Might be a reference to the fact that general aviation fuel is leaded even now, or a reference to the boomer generations high level of long term exposure to leaded gas fumes in their youth.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Just 12K? Flight time and all?

Middle class could do it, especially if that was their number one focus. There are people like that in every expensive hobby (horses, planes, track racing, boats) , they make just enough to be in the game and probably can't afford it, but it's their passion and their main thing, and some even center their whole lives around it. I read Alex Honnold's book (the Free Solo guy) and he literally lives in a van just so he can climb all day.

Kind of tempting actually. Not even to fully get the license, but lessons as an excuse to go get actual stick time.

Yeah. Obviously it depends on a lot of factors, but in general you can rent a training airplane for under 120 dollars an hour (sometimes significantly under), fuel included, and instructors are another 40-70/hr. Depends where you are; planes and instructors in SF are more expensive than in Oklahoma. The minimum to do the checkride is 40 hours total, of which 20 must be dual, but the national average is more like 60 to 70 (again, you might need fewer hours if you learn to fly in Oklahoma at a podunk than if you're trying to learn under the LAX bravo shelves). You pay for the instructor's time and the time the plane's engine is running. If you come in near the low end of the average range, add 300 bucks for ground school, 500 bucks for a decent noise cancelling headset, 500 for the checkride, and a few other fees you'll be done for about 12k all in. There's a dude in the r/relationshits thread who spent that much on a gaming PC.

Of course flying is not a cheap hobby, no one's saying it is, but it's not just for millionaires, or even six figgy fuckoids. I looked into it a bit and it turns out that renting a plane for an hour has pretty much always cost the equivalent of ~$100 in 2020 dollars, going back to the 1930s.

There is an aviation thread if you wanna find out more or ask questions to pilots and instructors: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821398

Carth Dookie posted:

Might be a reference to the fact that general aviation fuel is leaded even now, or a reference to the boomer generations high level of long term exposure to leaded gas fumes in their youth.

Supposedly small quantities of lead aren't that bad for you once your brain has stopped developing (ca. age 25), so as long as you aren't consuming so much that you get acute lead poisoning, it's probably not that bad.

I still :stare: when I see old pilots stick their fingers into the fuel tanks to check the level though. And I wouldn't want to raise kids in a house under an airport pattern. Each gallon of 100LL has the equivalent of one .22 caliber bullet dissolved into it

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 16, 2020

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

First Time Caller posted:

Expensive, but stable, smooth and solidly built. The wide(r) spacing, toe brakes, and ability to customize some of the angles/spring stiffness/cam profiles are especially nice. I haven't tried other pedals, so I can't tell you how they might compare to some of the others on the market, but I don't regret purchasing them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Thanks for the write up!

As for lead, I got real scared of it after reading about it related to shooting. The body treats it like calcium, so it'll deposit in bones. This is why it's especially bad for kids, because of their bone growth.

There was a case of a kid in Flint IIRC that was fine, broke a bone doing kid stuff, and pretty much immediately became mentally disabled :stare:. The lead stored in her bones went into her blood and went to her brain. There's no easy way to get it out either. I'm glad COVID is normalizing masks and I can go to the range in the P100 respirator I got for that 5 years ago.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 16, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

First Time Caller posted:

Upgrading to them from my clunky old CH pedals was a goddamn huge leap in quality. They're silky smooth and have several different cams and spring settings to customize the physical resistance curve, if that makes sense. I've not used any of the other high-end pedals out there, but these were exactly what I wanted them to be when I upgraded to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anyone else having the altitude and speed tape freeze mid cruise on the g1000/g3000 PFD? It seems to unfreeze when you begin the approach but it sure makes descending a challenge.

I noticed the Wind overlay also said “no wind data,” maybe it’s related.