Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It must be why Walton Goggins got so much screen time in Ant-Man despite playing an inconsequential character. He should come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That movie's amusing when you think about it because its got like 3 or 4 plots and no true antagonist villain so the result ends up being that Walter Goggins ends up weirdly elevating the least important plot thread just because he's such a naturally great villain.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

Is The Unicorn still on? Think I made it 1.5 episodes in.

It got renewed for a second season but I doubt they’ve started filming yet

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

That movie's amusing when you think about it because its got like 3 or 4 plots and no true antagonist villain so the result ends up being that Walter Goggins ends up weirdly elevating the least important plot thread just because he's such a naturally great villain.

That’s part of why I liked that movie so much. No huge threat, just three groups of people trying to accomplish three opposing things (and one of them is a criminal played by Goggins).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mu Zeta posted:

It must be why Walton Goggins got so much screen time in Ant-Man despite playing an inconsequential character. He should come back.

All this talk about Goggins and no one posts his best work

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Character Actor Pantheon
-Goggins
-Jim Beaver
-Stephen Root
-Margo
-Željko Ivanek
-Matt Frewer

Who else

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know how to write this without coming off as rude but I really don’t understand what’s meant to be good about Raised By Wolves. It doesn’t seem to do anything particularly well? I can tell what it’s trying to be but it feels so tepid and poorly-paced and that saps the life out of it and overshadows any potentially interesting elements. Can someone please explain it to me?

also Campion sucks rear end

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

Character Actor Pantheon
-Goggins
-Jim Beaver
-Stephen Root
-Margo
-Željko Ivanek
-Matt Frewer

Who else

Stephen Toblowsky?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wasn't there a thread a few years ago about some extremely weird low budget sci fi show?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Which one? So many.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok stuff actually started happening in this episode but that still basically means that from the beginning of episode 2 to two-thirds of the way through episode 6 nothing interesting occurred

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zoux posted:

Character Actor Pantheon
-Goggins
-Jim Beaver
-Stephen Root
-Margo
-Željko Ivanek
-Matt Frewer

Who else

Sam Rockwell
John C. Reilly
Michael Emerson
Tim Blake Nelson
John C. McGinley
Michael Kenneth Williams
Shea Whigham
Scoot McNairy
Ken Marino

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rockwell has starred in plenty of features, I wouldn't say he's a character actor, right? The others I agree with, and please Forgive me Shea Wigham for forgetting to mention you

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/bobo_circus/status/1244626463548203010?s=21

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was a period of like 5 years where I saw Judy Greer show up in every big budget movie and I thought she made it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Judy Greer is a professional wife. All she does these days is play wives or ex-wives

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Escobarbarian posted:

Judy Greer is a professional wife. All she does these days is play wives or ex-wives

She also plays younger sisters, like in Halloween (2018).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Or characters cut from films!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GreenNight posted:

Which one? So many.

It was a stickied thread and it wasn't any show I ever heard of :shrug:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Character Actor Pantheon
-Goggins
-Jim Beaver
-Stephen Root
-Margo
-Željko Ivanek
-Matt Frewer

Who else

Oliver Platt
Clancy Brown
JK Simmons
Keith David
William Fichtner

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

It was a stickied thread and it wasn't any show I ever heard of :shrug:

The Booth at the End? Wasn’t really a sci-fi but it’s the only thing I can think of that fits within this extremely odd and vague framework

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Day Break with Taye Diggs? Maybe Charlie Jade.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Much as I love Ken Marino, I'm not sure a guy who plays every character the same can be listed among the best character actors. Honestly kinda feel the same way about Željko Ivanek. Love to see them in stuff but you always know exactly what performance you're going to get from them.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Inspector 34 posted:

Much as I love Ken Marino, I'm not sure a guy who plays every character the same can be listed among the best character actors. Honestly kinda feel the same way about Željko Ivanek. Love to see them in stuff but you always know exactly what performance you're going to get from them.

Are you saying Jason Mantzoukas isn't the greatest character actor of all time?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

STAC Goat posted:

Both Ant Man movies and even Endgame are at their heart heist movies. The potential for future Strange movies being horror adjacent, and such makes me think the MCU should fully embrace the concept of a universe. Lets see heists, horrors, rom coms, and Die Hard as Marvel movies.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I think it was older than that. Probably 90s. Oh well. It's not important I guess

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think it was older than that. Probably 90s. Oh well. It's not important I guess

Time Trax was rad and 90s as hell.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The series finale of 12 Monkeys, and I will perpertually say from time to time, is, to me, one of the greatest finale episodes of a TV series ever.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

This seems appropriate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CxApTXyTxU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zoux posted:

Character Actor Pantheon
-Goggins
-Jim Beaver
-Stephen Root
-Margo
-Željko Ivanek
-Matt Frewer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Sam Rockwell
John C. Reilly
Michael Emerson
Tim Blake Nelson
John C. McGinley
Michael Kenneth Williams
Shea Whigham
Scoot McNairy
Ken Marino

Timby posted:

Oliver Platt
Clancy Brown
JK Simmons
Keith David
William Fichtner

Hmm....

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Goggins also made Tomb Raider way more watchable than it had any right to be.

His motivation as an antagonist was that he was sick of working for the evil secret society and did not care about it or its cause at all anymore and just wants to get off the island and back to his family. Hes jaded and impatient instead of zealous and agressive, it was so interesting and he elevated it so much.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I really need to rewatch Justified...

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well speaking of Justified, Neal McDonough is conspicuously missing from those lists above.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

AccountSupervisor posted:

Goggins also made Tomb Raider way more watchable than it had any right to be.

His motivation as an antagonist was that he was sick of working for the evil secret society and did not care about it or its cause at all anymore and just wants to get off the island and back to his family. Hes jaded and impatient instead of zealous and agressive, it was so interesting and he elevated it so much.

Dude played a racist rapist prisoner in Predators yet he was still loving entertaining. I swear.... its a super power

So...speaking of character actors... what ever happened to William H Macy?
Other guys not on your list (and half of these you will be like "oh THAT guy")
Charles S Dutton
Clifton Powell
Bill Duke
Ernie Hudson (Borderline? He did have Ghostbusters and Congo)
Frankie Faison
Courtney B Vance
Hell would CCH Pounder and Octavia Spencer count?

I would like to apologize to Evil by the way. I was bitching about a trope in Hollywood and they fixed it in the next episode. Shocked. Also episode 9. I went from laughing to quietly saying "oh gently caress". Quality recommendation. 10 episodes in and I am hooked. Thank you TVIV

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
John Piper Ferguson. He recently popped up on the 100 as a bad guy and he was lots of fun. I always enjoy seeing him get work.

Roger Cross maybe? He's in literally everything.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

William H Macy was one of the parents caught up in bribing the SAT score or university people to get their average kids into elite schools so he's probably going to lay low a few years. Though only his wife Felicity Huffman went to jail and he was cleared.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DogsInSpace! posted:

Hell would CCH Pounder and Octavia Spencer count?

CCH Pounder, absolutely (she makes the most of a thankless role in RoboCop 3). I think Octavia Spencer has graduated to "star" status.

Others that came to mind:

Bradley Whitford
Kathryn Hahn
Melissa Leo
Alan Ruck
Frances McDormand
Brad Dourif

Edit: Alfre Woodard, too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
CCH Pounder is great in Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight, which is also a great movie that has Billy Zane and William Sadler, both of whom could arguably be called character actors.

ed: and Dick Miller, the king of character actors! Everyone should go watch A Bucket of Blood right now.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rhyno posted:

Roger Cross maybe? He's in literally everything.

If a movie or TV show is being filmed in Canada, Roger Cross is contractually obligated to appear in it. It's been like that for a long time with him.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

CCH Pounder is great in Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight, which is also a great movie that has Billy Zane and William Sadler, both of whom could arguably be called character actors

It's Billy Zane's finest work, I would argue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I haven't seen Roger Cross in The Boys or The Expanse yet. The gently caress is wrong with Canada not employing him.