Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

didn't they already hire Rivers

For Philly fans, sadly yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

San Antonio has already blown up the team as much as you can blow it up, they have $100m coming off the books for the 21-22 Antetokounmpo-looza. Anything they do is going to be setting up the kind of 18-19 Clippers / Nets landing zone with talented first round picks.

Also before people get confused, Mike The Anthony is still looking for a job, Glenn "Doc" Rivers has the 76ers job. I still think the Philly brain trust could make a move to ship someone out, but it really depends on who comes out on top in their weird power struggle.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Gerund posted:

San Antonio has already blown up the team as much as you can blow it up, they have $100m coming off the books for the 21-22 Antetokounmpo-looza. Anything they do is going to be setting up the kind of 18-19 Clippers / Nets landing zone with talented first round picks.

Also before people get confused, Mike The Anthony is still looking for a job, Glenn "Doc" Rivers has the 76ers job. I still think the Philly brain trust could make a move to ship someone out, but it really depends on who comes out on top in their weird power struggle.

Elton Brand suggests they can right the ship by simply signing MORE players who play like Elton Brand.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

IcePhoenix posted:

didn't they already hire Rivers

Whoops yes my bad. I still expect them to make a big move to try to put more shooting around Embiid and Simmons.

Gerund posted:

San Antonio has never been a free agent destination, and I don't think Giannis is going to be excited to play for an almost-retired Pop with the bad Murray and Derrick White. I expect the Spurs come out playing .500 ball and DeRozan, Aldridge, Rudy Gay and Patti to be in medium/high demand from teams looking to get over the hump.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Oh hey, JVG actually getting a real interview

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1316020440083517442?s=20

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

toggle posted:

Is there a reason none of the lakers were wearing masks when arriving in LA? They just spent months, no doubt, being constantly told to wear one. No they don't? Management must be making GBS threads themselves

If there is anyone on earth who we're pretty sure isn't spewing out a bunch of coronavirus, it's the guys leaving the bubble

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I think that while I enjoyed JVG the first time in Houston that I would not enjoy it now. Please go a different direction.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
D'Antoni to JVG would be a helluva tone shift.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
I forget JVG's style but isn't he also an uptempo offensive coach?

Edit: Oh wait he was the late 90's Knicks coach right?

Senator Drinksalot fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 13, 2020

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

He will fit in well with their culture of whining to the league office about calls after every game

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Senator Drinksalot posted:

He will fit in well with their culture of whining to the league office about calls after every game

Please don’t be rude to the Houston Rockets.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I forget JVG's style but isn't he also an uptempo offensive coach?

His Houston teams were slow for their era, though if you are building around Yao that makes sense. Mostly he's just old-school. At least in the announcer booth he still talks about post touches and just in general he seems like 10 years behind where the NBA is now.

While I don't think he'd be a total disaster in general, I don't think he'd be very good and just seems like a bad fit to take over what D'Antoni was doing. It's not like Houston was horrible, they've been pretty good even if they couldn't get over the hump.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Time posted:

Please don’t be rude to the Houston Rockets.

My apologies

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

JVG get hired bitch

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

His Houston teams were slow for their era, though if you are building around Yao that makes sense. Mostly he's just old-school. At least in the announcer booth he still talks about post touches and just in general he seems like 10 years behind where the NBA is now.

While I don't think he'd be a total disaster in general, I don't think he'd be very good and just seems like a bad fit to take over what D'Antoni was doing. It's not like Houston was horrible, they've been pretty good even if they couldn't get over the hump.

His knicks teams were also really slow even when Ewing was hurt and yeah i just don't really get what he brings to the table in 2020 other than a name. Even if you're the rockets and trying to be cheap there are tons of good assistants worth a shot.

lmao

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
D'Antoni/Harden was the perfect coach/player pairing. Doesn't matter who the Rockets hire, they aren't getting any better. Might as well take one for the league and get JVG out of the booth.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Hiring the name that coached the first half of NBA Yao Ming probably means more to Houston this year than anything he brings as a modern coach.

It will be a great burden to bear but Houston, you may have to bear it (because the owner is broke and needs the money).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ty Lue would be a good fit in Houston, though I assume the Clippers job is his and its just posturing right now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Lakers ended up hitting the most threes of any Finals team ever. Which I think is more of a result of the ever inflating number of threes but it's still interesting for a team whose regular season weakness was that shot is currently sitting with the record.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Heat were also still trying to play zone for the first few games which encouraged it, and couldn't keep LeBron out of the paint for the entire series which lead to a lot of drive and kick. The two guys with the most attempts, Green and KCP, didn't even shoot well from 3 either but Morris was randomly on fire and then LeBron had one of his best shooting series ever (maybe his best?)

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Yeah Heat definitely encouraged the Lakers to take a lot of them, which is how they like to play defense anyway. Keep the paint as protected as possible.

Unfortunately Lakers had AD and LeBron who can score in the paint against any defense, in the mid-range and even from deep!

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

Well, this will be an exciting offseason for the Raptors.

How exactly does one go about fixing a half-court offence without loving up the rest of it? I guess I'm still a little shook because the last time they went to solve a shot creation problem they ended up signing Hedo Turkoglu.

Bring back DeMar DeRozen.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1316121775688822791?s=20

SVG basically just doing a rehash of the Dwight-era Magic with Zion would be cool

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

morestuff posted:

SVG basically just doing a rehash of the Dwight-era Magic with Zion would be cool

That does sound cool. I don't want to be robbed of SVG in the booth yet though.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
JVG shouldn't be a head coach in the modern NBA. Time has passed him by. He also shouldn't be a commentator.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Brett Brown won't coach the Australian Olympic team.

He might of done ok this time around. Still good enough for the usual 4th place.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

remember when lebron passed kobe for career points and then kobe died 12 hours later

what did that mean?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

morestuff posted:

meh he tried to do that in Detroit with Drummond

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

toggle posted:

Brett Brown won't coach the Australian Olympic team.

He might of done ok this time around. Still good enough for the usual 4th place.

Who knows how international teams that rely on NBA players will do. I have a feeling if there is an Olympics, no NBA players will be there this time.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Who knows how international teams that rely on NBA players will do. I have a feeling if there is an Olympics, no NBA players will be there this time.

Teams would be very reluctant I think. The amount of fluids flying around in the Olympic village in a normal non-pandemic Olympics is enough of a concern, but now with ol Covid, the stakes are higher!

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Katana_Warrior posted:

remember when lebron passed kobe for career points and then kobe died 12 hours later

what did that mean?

Means with 7.8 billion people in the world, things that have a 1 in 7.8 billion chance of happening to a person are a daily occurrence.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

abuse culture. posted:

Bring back DeMar DeRozen.

I would be happy with this.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1316138575080181762

Finch seems like a good fit from what I have seen, working with Jokic in Denver and then the bigs lineup in NO.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

Finch seems like a good fit from what I have seen, working with Jokic in Denver and then the bigs lineup in NO.

Seems like Finch should stay with the Pelicans. In fact, they should exclusively hire people with bird names.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
JVG getting an interview for Houston is clearly a classic case of the owner watching the games on TV and thinking the big talking head is really smart, let's get him. JVG crapping on Houston's strategy during he Laker games probably helped too.

Tillman Fertita: "We are getting dominated here! Why aren't we doing what the smart TV man thinks? Get D'Antoni outta there!"

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

DorianGravy posted:

Seems like Finch should stay with the Pelicans. In fact, they should exclusively hire people with bird names.

Bird is still a Pacers advisor, so I think it's safe to say Finch is his pick

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Folks,

LeBron James

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Bird is still a Pacers advisor, so I think it's safe to say Finch is his pick

Send em both to the big easy

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
hiring jvg to coach jim in defense is like when we hired mchale to teach dwight how to post up. its an exercise in futility that is ultimately meaningless

also fire the stupid rear end owner first pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Folks,

LeBron James

I think he stays put this offseason, don't you