Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

If both accounts are local accounts you should be able to log into either without a pw but you'll still have to type in the username I'm pretty sure.
I thought that you could get it to list all the accounts on the login screen, but apparently you have to create a scheduled task or something to keep changing a registry setting because otherwise it will revert after you log in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is there a software that will tell you the state of things that may be USB-C PD charging off your laptop?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Fame Douglas posted:

Inkscape as well, by the way. Both are excellent, but with a different focus.

Well, it turns out neither Krita nor Inkscape support non-anti-aliased text. So frustrating. I'll just have to stick with Paint.NET for this project or maybe try helping out with Krita. I need the aliased text to match the original author's style, which is MS Paint-y. Unless maybe there's some kind of pixel art program or something.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

~Coxy posted:

Is there a software that will tell you the state of things that may be USB-C PD charging off your laptop?

What information are you interested in? What I'm getting from searches so far is that the USB specification doesn't include a way for the host to measure device power consumption, if that's the sort of thing you're after. Depending on the devices and your actual goal, there might be other ways to get what you're after, e.g. getting notified when your phone is fully charged.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Voltage and amperage would be nice so that I know things are actually charging at the rate they're supposed to.
But I just worked out that this USB-PD power bank won't charge off a laptop (or even a TB3 dock) so the point is a bit moot unless it can actually "kick" devices into working...

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Shadow0 posted:

Well, it turns out neither Krita nor Inkscape support non-anti-aliased text. So frustrating. I'll just have to stick with Paint.NET for this project or maybe try helping out with Krita. I need the aliased text to match the original author's style, which is MS Paint-y. Unless maybe there's some kind of pixel art program or something.

There's a lot of free art apps that may work, Brad Colbow on YouTube had a good review of them.

Maybe Medibang might work? Haven't used it personally.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Shadow0 posted:

Try GIMP, it's a image editor in the style of Photoshop and has a native Windows installer. It might be more able to produce what you need, although it probably would need some manual copying and pasting because, well, normally un-antialiased and pixelly text is something a good graphics editor is specifically supposed to avoid.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

What’s the current recommendation for checking temperatures and FPS on a computer? I’m setting up a new laptop and just want to test how it copes under load.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you don't need the tool itself to do stress testing, then MSI Afterburner is a pretty good hardware monitor for CPU, GPU and HD temperatures, fan speeds, etc. that also allows you to do some fine-tuning. It comes with an installable utility for an FPS overlay as well.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I use HWMonitor for temperature and fan data and the Windows Game bar (Win + G) for FPS/CPU/RAM etc.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hwinfo64 is by far the best if you're just trying to monitor stuff IMO.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Try GIMP, it's a image editor in the style of Photoshop and has a native Windows installer. It might be more able to produce what you need, although it probably would need some manual copying and pasting because, well, normally un-antialiased and pixelly text is something a good graphics editor is specifically supposed to avoid.
I think they already posted about not liking it in part because of its UX (which is bad) and in part because of the name (which is real bad). But they could check out Glimpse, which is a fork of the original meant to fix the name and improve the UI.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sorry, must've missed that. Yeah, GIMP's UI is kinda rear end. I've used it a few times now and I can still barely find what I need.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cardiovorax posted:

Sorry, must've missed that. Yeah, GIMP's UI is kinda rear end. I've used it a few times now and I can still barely find what I need.

Not only is the UI bad but its dependencies can and will get broken which means you get all the joy of repairing linux poo poo in windows.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why? Isn't it just a single installer that contains everything?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Hwinfo64 is by far the best if you're just trying to monitor stuff IMO.

Thank you, the logging is nice and it gives a ton of feedback.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Thank you, the logging is nice and it gives a ton of feedback.

First thing to do is remove the 'Average' column and hide the stuff you don't care about. It's a great price of software.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Is there a way to boost the loudness of a device in Windows 10? My headphones on my work machine are super quiet for some reason. Googling pointed to all kinds of dodgy looking adware.

Any advice?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

the_lion posted:

Is there a way to boost the loudness of a device in Windows 10? My headphones on my work machine are super quiet for some reason. Googling pointed to all kinds of dodgy looking adware.

Any advice?

The only actual way to boost the maximum volume without reducing quality or dynamic range is buying a USB soundcard that has a higher maximum volume level (cards designed for high-impedance headphones, for example).

The Sharkoon Gaming Dac Pro S is super loud and cheap, for example - very happy with it: https://en.sharkoon.com/product/27415

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, if your headphones aren't loud enough when connected to a standard audio jack, you need an amplifier. A USB audio converter like that Sharkoon one is made for exactly that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

the_lion posted:

Any advice?

Make sure you have the latest drivers but yeah maybe try plugging them into the mobo directly if you're using the front ports.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

the_lion posted:

There's a lot of free art apps that may work, Brad Colbow on YouTube had a good review of them.

Maybe Medibang might work? Haven't used it personally.

Oh cool, I'll take a look at that then, thanks.

Cardiovorax posted:

I tried GIMP for a bit. It's rather frustrating. Even drawing a rectangle is complicated. If you look up how to do it, it even warns you "GIMP is not designed for drawing." It also doesn't have autosave, which was the whole reason I wanted to move away from Paint.NET in the first place.
(Also the UI doesn't like the high DPI scaling thing, and I haven't figured out how to fix it. :sigh:)

I've got someone else who is also working on this project with me, but they've been MIA for a while. I'll ask them what they are using whenever they return. Hopefully not a Mac program or something...

For everything else though, Krita is looking pretty good.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I sometimes create a blank text document on my desktop, open it in Notepad, type in sensitive information for temporary recall, close it without saving, and delete it.

Is there a way to access that information afterwards? assuming I'm not being actively spied on by the CIA with a worm installed on my computer

I sometimes need to write down passwords when dicking around in LastPass and find it the easiest way to do so and I'm less worried about autosaving than if I did it in Word or Google Docs or taking a photo on my phone.

Now that I think about it, I can create secure notes within LastPass and that's probably a more secure way of doing this...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Notepad caches unsaved text files as per this explanation:

quote:

To be honest, it is nearly impossible to recover a Notepad file that is unsaved because the file is not written to your computer's disk and there is nothing to recover from. But since the contents of the Notepad file has been saved in the computer memory temporarily, there is still faint hope that you can recover the unsaved Notepad documents from temporary files.

Step 1 Click Start > Search. In the search bar, type: %AppData% and hit Enter. This will open the AppData folder.

Step 2 Select Roaming to go to the path: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\[etc]. In this folder, search for the Notepad files and see if your lost Notepad files can be found.

Best thing to do would be to check there, I guess.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Encrypt your system with Bitlocker so you don't have to worry about this kind of scenario.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I know my laptop is, I don't think my desktop nor my mom's are. I'm a bit more concerned about OneDrive or my online backup software leaking something, tbh.

I'll just be more careful about it. Remembering to use LastPass's built in notepad will solve the issue for me. I was typing drafts into Gmail for a while until I realize Wtf I was doing!

Thanks, all.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
That's the first time I've ever heard about plain windows notepad.exe doing file caching, and using process monitor I see no evidence of it. So I think that guy you quoted has no idea what he's talking about, unless he's talking about notepad++ or something.

Using notepad produces some activity in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Caches\, but that's not file caching. That's where windows stores recent files activity and some stuff related to start menu tiles or something. It's definitely not making a cache of the file you opened in notepad -- opening a 15mb file doesn't produce a 15mb file in that cache directory.

So I'd say that unsaved notepad.exe text is thoroughly gone once you close the program. But I'll also add that if you get owned to the level that someone is poking around in unsaved word documents, they're probably also installing keyloggers and memory dump stuff to watch you while you type your notes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alright, sorry then. It was an article about how to potentially recover unsaved Notepad documents and the included screenshots seemed convincing enough, so I didn't test it myself.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Google cares about your passwords.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How can I completely nuke an SD card and reformat it properly? I guess I used this one before for Raspberry or a live Linux setup or something because it has an ext2 partition among other garbage and nothing can get rid of it. The Disk Management snap-in and diskpart don't do anything (the latter pretends like it does but doesn't actually accomplish anything). Cameras and other devices fail to format it too.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

How can I completely nuke an SD card and reformat it properly? I guess I used this one before for Raspberry or a live Linux setup or something because it has an ext2 partition among other garbage and nothing can get rid of it. The Disk Management snap-in and diskpart don't do anything (the latter pretends like it does but doesn't actually accomplish anything). Cameras and other devices fail to format it too.

diskpart
list disk
select disk #
clean

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They specifically said diskpart doesn't work

The official SD card formatter tends to work in cases where Windows doesn't in my experience

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, but sounds like they were trying to format using diskpart. Clean and writing a new boot record using Disk Management after usually does work in these cases.

Another alternative would be to write a new boot record using gparted (it's a one of the menu options)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there any good free or try for 30 days general hardware diagnostic software? Selling a laptop and want to include diagnostic data but I'm also super lazy since I worked at Geek Squad and had their all in one diag tools

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
yeah diskpart doesn't do poo poo.
code:
DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online          238 GB  1024 KB        *
  Disk 1    Online           29 GB      0 B

DISKPART> select disk 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Primary           2879 MB    32 KB
  Partition 2    Primary            704 KB  2880 MB
  Partition 3    Primary             26 GB  2881 MB

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Primary           2879 MB    32 KB
  Partition 2    Primary            704 KB  2880 MB
  Partition 3    Primary             26 GB  2881 MB

DISKPART>
Just tried the SD formatter thingie, it doesn't work either. The issue is that it sees the 3 different partitions as E,F,G drives and tries (and fails) to format them individually. I'll try gpedit when I'm not sitting at an aiport and can mess with live CDs :)

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Have you tried : Delete partition 1 ? And so on?

Edit: I know clean should work, but I’m positive I had this same issue with a card I used for my raspberry pi.

So it was either fixed by using delete partition manually, or I found a single partition image and wrote that to the card using Etcher. I think I’ve done both at different times.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 19, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are you sure your SD card isn't write locked with the slider on the side (although that doesn't seem to be the issue here)

Gparted should work, but I guess we'll see.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

All right.

I must be missing a step.

I got a new 2TB drive to replace my 970 Evo, which is great, but only 250GB.

I cloned it through Macrium, expanding the main partition, connected to a PCIe adapter. I then swapped positions so that the new drive is on the MoBo and the Evo is in the PCI. Tt will "boot" to the new drive, as long as the 970 is still attached, but not if I disconnect it.

What step am I missing to make it so that the system sees the new drive as the bootable disk?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

All right.

I cloned it through Macrium, expanding the main partition, connected to a PCIe adapter. I then swapped positions so that the new drive is on the MoBo and the Evo is in the PCI. Tt will "boot" to the new drive, as long as the 970 is still attached, but not if I disconnect it.

What step am I missing to make it so that the system sees the new drive as the bootable disk?

Have you already tried: Disconnect Evo. Leave new drive connected. Use the boot repair feature on windows installer media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AlexDeGruven posted:

All right.

You cloned all 3 partitions from the old drive to the new one, right? There's a 100MB partition labeled EFI, that is the UEFI booting partition.

If that's good I'd look in your BIOS settings to see if it's picking up the new drive in the boot menu.

^^^ edit: yeah and if the EFI partition wasn't cloned or the BIOS doesn't see it, try boot repair.