Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Djarum posted:

Well if you go by generational preferences this is likely true. Those 40 and younger are overwhelmingly progressive. They are also who are most hosed over by both Republican politics and capitalism in general.

The days of “well these guys didn’t do enough so let’s try the other guys” isn’t a thing the younger you get. You will likely see Democrats start time get primaried out by Progressives instead of going near a Republican. We have already started to see that in places like New York and Chicago.

Now the GOP could pivot somehow but especially after the last 4 years I don’t see how they can. They have nearly zero farm team as young people are shunning conservative politics entirely. Those that do exist are going to be tainted with the worship of Trump. The MAGA hat will be the Nazi armband or white hood of this generation. You can’t survive as a regional party in National politics.

Not entirely true, it's just that most younger conservatives are going more for the grifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1316171654842789889

:magemage:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
This is from a trump event that Rudy was the main speaker at. These are Rudy's words.
https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1316167676868415488

quote:

Meanwhile, inside, Giuliani claimed to be defending his honor. “They have 10,000 people march, spitting in each other’s face,” he said. Assuming the character of a left-wing protester, he shouted, “‘Kill police! Kill police! Pigs in a blanket! Fry ’em like bacon!’” As he remarked that “‘Black Lives Matter’ equals ‘kill cops,’” a man in the room yelled, “Build the wall!”

Giuliani continued, “… and it’s founded by people who killed cops.” He offered the example of Susan Rosenberg — a onetime fugitive and member of the Weather Underground who served 16 years in jail after being caught with weapons and explosives — who became, on the inside, an influential activist, writer, and poet. Giuliani has been using her case to whip up fear since 2001, when her prison sentence was commuted by President Bill Clinton. “He let her out in 16 years so she could train Black Lives Matter in how to kill cops,” he said on Monday, “which is what she did when she was young.” (That’s another right-wing conspiracy theory; Rosenberg does sit on the board of a group that raises money for the cause, but that’s it.) He added, “Another guy, the financier for the Black Revolutionary Army. He also killed cops. It’s a horrible situation.”

After claiming that Democrats used the pandemic to take away gun rights, which did not happen, he mentioned the McCloskeys, the couple who wielded guns on the porch of their St. Louis mansion in front of Black Lives Matter demonstrators who were passing by. Giuliani claimed, falsely, that the protesters had yelled, “’We want to rape your wife! We want to rape your wife! We want this for reparations! This is number one for reparations! Biggest house here! Reparations!’” He added, “Nobody knows this, but at the time, their daughter was upstairs under the bed because she was afraid they’re going to come in and they’re talking about rape and they’re going to rape the wife and they’re going to find the daughter.”

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So why exactly is Donald Trump's approach to North Korea bad?

Liberals and centrists keep listing it as a bad thing for East Asia, but I don't see why?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Liberals and centrists keep listing it as a bad thing for East Asia, but I don't see why?

What has he done that you would consider good? He's given Kim Jong Un a ton of credibility and gotten zero in return

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

ImpAtom posted:

Donald Trump is absolutely not going to be in the physical or mental health to run again in 2024. He might try but even assuming he has no long-term lingering effects from COVID he is an elderly man who has shown increased signs of mental and physical decline while in office. Fairly arguably not even Biden should be running in 2024 but we'll see what happens there if he wins.

Donald Trump will be 78 in 2024 and Biden will be 81. Even assuming they have the best health care in the world that is an age where it is very very possible to pass or be rendered incapable simply because of your age. (You can arguably make that statement for both candidates *now.*)

Hell, even if we go for an outlier and the Green Party wins their candidate is 67 which makes him older than literally every single President besides Regan and Trump. This slate of Presidential Candidates is loving ancient. It is a genuinely serious problem that we're tied so much to absolutely goddamn ancient people. Even if Sanders had won the nomination he is 79 years old! The best overall candidate who ran this election was *79.* This loving poo poo is ridiculous.

Yeah. there definitely is a crisis in leadership. It just isn't the Left but pretty much politicians in general. Gen X and late Baby Boomers really don't have an abundance quality leaders.

Fart Amplifier posted:

What has he done that you would consider good? He's given Kim Jong Un a ton of credibility and gotten zero in return

He at least seems to be cooling the relations between the two countries. It's hard to build a bridge with a nation that declares you their sworn enemy.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 14, 2020

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Credibility with who.

Who thinks Jong Un is credible now who didn't before? Trump himself?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's been utterly incompetent on every layer; Trump has done neither to make the region safer nor to resolve any of the issues. Almost all positive movement has been because of the work of South Korea's government, NOT TrumpCo.

All Trump has managed to do was basically give North Korea unlimited free time to develop its capabilities and has gotten no real commitments by the North to be less of a regional threat; without actually removing any tension or brinkmanship (Trump has threatened North Korea with violence multiple times).

It's been the worst of all possible worlds and only luck that like with Iran, that there hasn't been a war.

e:

punk rebel ecks posted:

He at least seems to be cooling the relations between the two countries.

There is zero evidence to support that Trump has done anything of the sort.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

punk rebel ecks posted:

A lot of reasons. First off almost every Western Country has tried to avoid raising the North Korean leader's legitimacy by meeting with them face to face. It is something that most Americans have no real understand for how big of a deal it is to have your country's leader meet with the President of the United States or on a lesser level the Premier of the United Kingdom/Germany/France, etc. It is why it is equally concerning seeing Trump interact with leaders of other countries with issues for that same reason. Meeting with the President can and often is an endorsement of that leadership and government.

Meeting face to face with Kim Jong-un, in Korea, with out any sort of pretenses or conditions effectively gave away the cow and the milk and you didn't even get any magic beans in return. That is something that has been held back from the North Koreans for decades and was given away for nothing in return. In fact the entire ordeal actually has done nothing but encouraged them as they have accelerated their various weapons programs and have become much more bold knowing that Trump and in turn the US Military will do nothing to hinder them.

The entire doctrine with dealing with North Korea has been isolation and deterrent. Trump threw decades of work out the window for nothing. I would be all for it if it meant that North Korea was normalizing their relations with the rest of the world, dismantling their nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and starting the road towards some form of Democracy. But none of this is happening and if anything they are stronger than they ever have been in the region. South Korea, Japan and Taiwan are and should be concerned about it.

The worst part about all of it is they are going to cause a conflict in the coming years, it will kill a ton of people and would have been easily avoid had Trump never been President.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Credibility with who.

North Koreans

punk rebel ecks posted:

He at least seems to be cooling the relations between the two countries.

I don't see how anyone can possibly think this.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, NK Chat: Donald has actually made things substantially worse in the peninsula, and has made no gains towards denuclearization, because he is an egoist.

So, beforehand, when leaders dealt with North Korea, it was always done through ambassadors and teams of people negotiating a new path forward. NK would get basic assistance, SK would not have to worry about NK disrupting trade and security, and the US keeps its check on China while empowering a trade and military ally.

But Trump, being the 'grand businessman' he is, decided that no one could do it better than him. So he places himself smack-dab in the middle of it by overshooting our ally and dealing directly with NK. This is massive, as the general consensus was that NK is a rogue state, a seceded territory that was holding it's country hostage. By meeting and legitimizing Kim, he outright acknowledges that North Korea is on equal terms to South Korea at the bargaining table. And that was before Trump, who was feuding with SK Pres. Moon Jae-In over the South Korean Defense Allocation, cut him out completely with the Hanoi conference.

This, on top of the negotiations over budget that led to a 2-month furlough of workers, deeply hurt SK's ability to negotiate with NK without the US. It was an indirect blow to their sovreignty as a nation.

Also, the messaging from the White House has been exceptionally inconsistent, with Trump praising KJU and offering him everything while Pompeo gives nothing for the shared talks, which hurts our ability to negotiate now and in the future because the US no longer can keep its word. Every deal afterwards is now going to need assurance on our end to be taken as a deal.

At the end of it, NK and SK are at a low point, with NK publicly blowing up their joint office in Kaesong and revealing new weaponry. It took the shooting of a SK diplomat and a threat of war to bring NK back to the negotiating table.

So, yes, Trump has been bad for the alliance.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Fart Amplifier posted:

North Koreans

This, very unfortunately.

He has tons of media he can shower his people with that makes it look like his actions are endorsed by America and his peoples lives are normal.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ILL Machina posted:

As a follow-up, I'm just looking for more ways to frame the counterargument that homelessness is a necessary threat to encourage people to work for housing. I had a really disconcerting conversion with my dad about how housing should be considered a human right and he clapped back with the "if people are given everything they need for a minimal subsistence, they won't feel the need to earn it or work for more."

Utopia For Realists by Rutger Bregman would be a good book for you and your dad to read, much better than just sending him a Vox article or something. It pretty clearly explicates UBI and why giving poor people money is good, explaining standard leftist concepts from a more centrist framing that I imagine would appeal to Boomers with neolib poisoning who are on the precipice of chuddery. I gave it to my father in law to read, he's a Reagan Democrat Boomer with an economics degree, and he enjoyed it

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Utopia For Realists by Rutger Bregman would be a good book for you and your dad to read, much better than just sending him a Vox article or something. It pretty clearly explicates UBI and why giving poor people money is good, explaining standard leftist concepts from a more centrist framing that I imagine would appeal to Boomers with neolib poisoning who are on the precipice of chuddery. I gave it to my father in law to read, he's a Reagan Democrat Boomer with an economics degree, and he enjoyed it

Hey thanks, I'm downloading it now.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so #herdimmunity is trending on twitter. apparently our idiot president would rather everyone contract covid than wear masks

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Mr Interweb posted:

so #herdimmunity is trending on twitter. apparently our idiot president would rather everyone contract covid than wear masks

Masks won't work as well as they could while 30% of the country ignores them; herd immunity won't happen when 50% are using them.

I just ordered yet more envomask filters, this isn't going away

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah. there definitely is a crisis in leadership. It just isn't the Left but pretty much politicians in general. Gen X and late Baby Boomers really don't have an abundance quality leaders.

Counterpoint: the main force behind this phenomenon is everyone under 60 being decried as a child while rattling ghouls suck all the air out of the room.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

fool of sound posted:

Screaming "gently caress you" isn't pushback that's welcome in D&D, a forum where I hope people can learn and improve. If someone wants to make a an effort post and end it with "and that's why you're a dumb rear end in a top hat for thinking that", then that's fine. That's part of SA culture: you don't have to sugarcoat thing. White noise insults contribute nothing.

So why didn’t you prob all the people with the “gently caress you” posts that you just said aren’t welcome?

For the record I agree with you and what you did with trying to engage and if I were that guy and came back to seeing a wall of people telling me to gently caress myself I would not bother reading anything further, thus making it even less likely that I would learn from it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rumors out that ny post has “hunter Biden’s emails on Ukraine.”

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

FizFashizzle posted:

gently caress it, Biden is finished. Impossible to recover from something like this.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I mean it's really gonna depend on what Hunter said, just receiving emails isn't incriminatory on its own.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1316235966106030080

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh no! Infamous tabloid rag Has The Emails!

I hate this year so much.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

I mean it's really gonna depend on what Hunter said, just receiving emails isn't incriminatory on its own.

NY post is a Murdoch paper, enough said.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i want to believe that nobody on the planet exists that was planning on voting for biden but has their minds changed with this stupid email story, but we live in an incredibly stupid loving world, so...:shrug:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Foul Ole Ron posted:

NY post is a Murdoch paper, enough said.

How does that matter? Fox is going to report on it, which means everyone else is going to at the very least report on Fox reporting on it. Whatever the truth is won’t matter anymore. Fox will just say “we didn’t report on it, we talked about it on our entertainment shows” like they always do.

This isn’t a nothing matters post. In this case I just don’t see how it matters who owns the newspaper/magazine that talked about it first as long as it’s not a no-name blog.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Not even on the front page of CNN and NBC news.

Hell, not even on the front page of Fox. It's all ACB there

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
And look who it is...

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1316341249989849088?s=20

quote:

Steve Bannon, former adviser to President Trump, told The Post about the existence of the hard drive in late September and Giuliani provided The Post with a copy of it on Sunday.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

These are... nothing.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Prepare for 3 solid weeks of but her his emails

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Prepare for 3 solid weeks of but her his emails

Honestly there's bigger fish to fry right now. In 2016 the rest of the country wasn't on fire and dying so I'm not sure this wet noodle bullshit has a chance.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol Hunter stays winning. I wouldn't dream of leaving my hard drive to be cloned by some random in a PC repair shop,and I don't even have that many incriminating emails from Eastern European mobsters.

Of course the other possibility is that *somebody* phished Hunters hard drive, cloned it to a new computer, slapped a Beau Biden sticker on it then sent it into a repair shop to launder the evidence trail. Depends how deep you want to go into Clancycrafting

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This is so good

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1316227465556172800?s=21

quote:

The end of this administration would mean a great deal, but nothing, let alone Trumpism, will end with Trump’s defeat. Voting matters, but what comes next will matter more. That work is in the future, and it won’t begin or lord knows end with Joe Biden’s election, although getting Trump out of the loving paint is a decent place to start. Some people will take such an outcome as a reason to get back to their mimosas, but none of us should take it for granted. The real and necessary repudiation of Trump was not ever going to come from this cringing, calculating Democratic party, or this nullity of a nominee, or people whose politics begin and end with the inalienable right to brunch. The future belongs to the people who want more than that, and who are willing to fight for it — who know where they’re going and why, who will keep at it even as the others fall away, who will stay on through the darkness because of how much they want to see the dawn.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Toebone posted:

gently caress it, Biden is finished. Impossible to recover from something like this.

they hosed

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Actual reporters are pointing out that this is almost certainly Russian disinformation, as we know that they were trying to push this based on information from the impeachment hearings

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Actual reporters are pointing out that this is almost certainly Russian disinformation, as we know that they were trying to push this based on information from the impeachment hearings

If it was Russian disinformation wouldn't they put incriminating evidence in the emails?

The emails the post printed are laughable nothings.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Charlz Guybon posted:

If it was Russian disinformation wouldn't they put incriminating evidence in the emails?

The emails the post printed are laughable nothings.

I mean, it's vague enough that it lets people make their own decisions. Which, knowing the US, means people will leap to HUNTER BAD

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Hey Hunter! Great to hear from you. Any chance you're available to meet?

THE BIDEN EMAILS HAVE DROPPED

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1316352029850316800

Sounds fishy, so let me just promote the story on my Twitter account!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1316348740995866627